GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 59 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,164
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,387
Posts1,059,820
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
finally finished reading the novel #49910
03/02/04 12:05 AM
03/02/04 12:05 AM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline OP
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline OP
Underboss
Brazil
a few minutes ago I finally finished reading the novel...it took me about 2 weeks to read the 466 pages (I think is a record for me). I REALLY loved to read it. it gave me all the details I wanted to know. it's the greatest book ever.

I could've read it a long time before, but I didn't know that the book I used to see standing in my friend's house was The Godfather. here in Brazil, The Godfather is known as "O Poderoso Chefão", something like "The Powerful Boss", and in the book it is just "O Chefão" ("The Boss"), so I never cared about it.

PS: someone has asked this before, but I will ask it again: Do you think is better to read he novel first, or watching the trilogy first and then reading it?

I don't know how the first option feels like, but I'm really satisfied for having watched the trilogy before. it made the novel so much easier to understand, since you already know the charachters and, in the case of GF, almost know them like your close friends. also, I think the film would be so much more affected if you knew how it would end than the book, since at least for me, the greatest thing about reading it is to know ALL the details about EVERYTHING, and not the climax of an impressive ending sequence, like in GF1.

well, I'm so happy with this book that I can't stop talking about it...

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk
Re: finally finished reading the novel #49911
03/02/04 01:34 AM
03/02/04 01:34 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Hey, I'm glad you loved the book, Tony! Not surprised, either--it's a great book.
I can't answer your question objectively because I read the book before the movie was filmed, so I had no choice. I loved the book so much that I read it dozens and dozens of times. Then the movie was released--and it stimulated me to read the book many dozens more times.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: finally finished reading the novel #49912
03/02/04 09:24 AM
03/02/04 09:24 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Generally, I prefer to read the novel first, since the author can usually go into a lot more detail in a book that may take 6-8 hours to read than a screenwriter can in a film that runs only two. The additional backround provided in the book usually makes the film more interesting and understandable.

I also prefer seeing the film after reading the book, because, after all, it is the book that the film is based on, so it seems only fair to read the book first. And I'm always interested to see the interpretation on film of what I imagined in my mind as I was reading vs. the interpretation of the screenwriter and director.

I will add, though, that The Godfather I is one of the rare cases, IMO, when then film greatly surpasses the book on which it was based.

And like Turnbull, I read the book before the movie even came out.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: finally finished reading the novel #49913
03/03/04 05:30 PM
03/03/04 05:30 PM
England
The Puppet Mistress Offline
Made Member
The Puppet Mistress  Offline
Made Member
England
I agree the film is much better, I saw the film first and found the book filled in lots of missing detail that was very interesting to discover.

TPM

"My wife was weeping before she fell asleep, outside my window I saw my Caporegimes coming to the house and it is midnight. So, Consigliori of mine, I think you should tell your Don what everyone knows."
Re: finally finished reading the novel #49914
03/03/04 07:48 PM
03/03/04 07:48 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
I've read the book three times. It gets easier and easier to read each time. Although in my copy of the book, there's a whole bunch of type-o's, at least 50 of em, but it doesn't take away from the fact that it's an excellent book. Although it is not my favorite Puzo novel. That accolade would either have to go to The Fortunate Pilgrim or Fools Die.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: finally finished reading the novel #49915
03/30/04 04:29 PM
03/30/04 04:29 PM
ACK_NO. 1 Offline
Button
ACK_NO. 1  Offline
Button
Originally posted by Tony Mosrite:
PS: someone has asked this before, but I will ask it again: Do you think is better to read he novel first, or watching the trilogy first and then reading it?
In my opinion, you should watch the movie first, then read the book, because the book is always better than the movie and if you read the book first, you may find the movie disappointing, or lacking.

Yes, GF does capture the essence of the book spectacularly, but a lot of scenes, dialogue and supporting characters were given the ax in the movie version for time purposes.

I think if you watch the movie first, the book takes on a richer and more rewarding tone as you get more into the characters and the scenery.

"Ahh, rock stars...is there anything they don't know?" - Homer J. Simpson
Re: finally finished reading the novel #49916
04/21/04 01:59 PM
04/21/04 01:59 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
I saw the movie before reading the book. I like the fact that the book fills in some of the gaps and deleted scenes of the movie. But I don't like the extra detail pertaining to Lucy, Nino, & Johnny.

The biggest negative about seeing the film first is that I have a difficult time imagining anyone else in each role. Then again, that's also a tribute to the actors who portrayed Puzo's characters. I wonder if Puzo had certain actors/actresses in mind when he was writing the novel...

Re: finally finished reading the novel #49917
04/23/04 08:58 AM
04/23/04 08:58 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Originally posted by goombah:
I wonder if Puzo had certain actors/actresses in mind when he was writing the novel...
I doubt it. Except for Brando, and possibly Duvall and Castellano, none of the major cast members were really very well known. Pacino was unheard of.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: finally finished reading the novel #49918
04/24/04 12:19 PM
04/24/04 12:19 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by plawrence:
Originally posted by goombah:
[b] I wonder if Puzo had certain actors/actresses in mind when he was writing the novel...
I doubt it. Except for Brando, and possibly Duvall and Castellano, none of the major cast members were really very well known. Pacino was unheard of. [/b]
In an interview that was included in the 25th Anniversary VHS set (not sure if it was in the DVD set), Puzo said that he'd heard that Danny Thomas was so hot to play Vito Corleone that he was going to buy Paramount! Puzo said "I was disturbed by this" (probably understatement of the year!). He said he got Brando's address from his agent and wrote him about playing Vito. Puzo said he didn't expect a reply, but Brando did reply, said he was interested, but he'd have to wait until the director was announced. You know the story about how FFC had to fight the studio's objections to Brando.

Re: finally finished reading the novel #49919
06/04/04 08:23 PM
06/04/04 08:23 PM
y'know, in front of the comput...
A
Antone Offline
Wiseguy
Antone  Offline
A
Wiseguy
y'know, in front of the comput...
"PS: someone has asked this before, but I will ask it again: Do you think is better to read he novel first, or watching the trilogy first and then reading it?"
I would have liked to have read the book first, but I didn't. If you read the book first you think of what the chars look like in your head, and makes the book more interesting. its better to read the book first. you think of the novel in your head, using your own pictures. but because I saw the movie first, when I was reading, I could hear the voices of the chars, especially tom hagen. I heard his voice first when he said, "the drug buisness will be bigger than any other buisness" or something close to that. that's when vito corleone is deciding wheter to support sollozo and his drug buisness.
also if you read the book, and the movie sucks, you wont have the bad movie in your head ruining things.
and al pacino was the perfect character for michael. when I was reading it showed why al pacino had to act as him.

I am writing a book simlar to the godfather, one of crime and that way of life(drugs, murder,women, gambling, etc.). When I grow up I want to be a writer.
Re: finally finished reading the novel #49920
06/05/04 12:06 PM
06/05/04 12:06 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Welcome, Antone, and thanks for posting a thoughtful question (yes, it has been asked before, but not as often as many). I believe it's better to read the novel first because the novel has a lot more detail that is helpful in appreciating the film even more than you would if you hadn't read the novel. The film is wonderful on its own, but watching it after reading the novel gives a better appreciation.

Re: finally finished reading the novel #49921
06/05/04 01:14 PM
06/05/04 01:14 PM
Texas
Patches Offline
Underboss
Patches  Offline
Underboss
Texas
I read the novel first. (I was like 6 or 7) and it made a world of difference...

Re: finally finished reading the novel #49922
06/15/04 08:40 PM
06/15/04 08:40 PM
Toronto, Canada
UnderBoss Offline
Capo
UnderBoss  Offline
Capo
Toronto, Canada
Well first of all I watched the movie then read the book. I think it would work well either way because they both capture the essence of the story. The movie, does tend to paint a very good picture of the story however.

Also Plaw, FFC in the same interview Turbull has mentioned kept sneaking Pacino in for the role of Michael. The studio originally wanted Caan to play Michael, but FFC persisted and got his way.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull