GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, joepuzzles234), 276 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,930
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,337
Posts1,058,863
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 38 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 37 38
Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: Giancarlo] #756378
12/30/13 09:36 PM
12/30/13 09:36 PM
J
Jose Offline
Capo
Jose  Offline
J
Capo
no everything is par for the course - trial wise. They just take their time . It painfully slow and if Georgie doesn't walk after this whole ordeal it's a shame

Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: Giancarlo] #756396
12/31/13 12:27 AM
12/31/13 12:27 AM
G
Giancarlo Offline OP
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline OP
G
Underboss
Mob-trial witness calls 'Bent Finger Lou' a braggart

Jeremy Roebuck, Inquirer Staff Writer
December 30, 2013,

PHILADELPHIA By 2011, federal agents wanted Louis Monacello locked in a prison cell. His Mafia colleagues wanted him in his grave.

Despite those mounting threats, the mob associate known as "Bent Finger Lou" felt confident that he could work even that dire outlook to his benefit, his former neighbor testified Monday.

"No matter what happens, he said he was going to get a book deal out of it, or go on TV or something. Other mob guys had done it before," said Jerry Davis, a longtime Philadelphia City Council aide who lived next door to Monacello for years.

Davis' testimony came as defense lawyers began their assault Monday on key government witnesses in the racketeering retrial of reputed Philadelphia mob boss Joseph Ligambi and his nephew George Borgesi.

At the top of their list stood Monacello, a former Borgesi soldier turned mouthy FBI cooperator who provided some of the most colorful testimony against his former colleagues over four days last month.
Monacello had told jurors that Ligambi and Borgesi oversaw a criminal network that controlled illegal gambling and loan-sharking across the region. Defense lawyers unleashed a host of witnesses primed to expose cracks in his testimony.

Davis, longtime driver for Anna C. Verna when she was City Council president, said he socialized three to four times a week with Monacello. When it came to Ligambi, Monacello rarely minced words, Davis said.

"I hate him with a passion. You don't know how much I hate him," Davis recalled his neighbor's saying.

Monacello also bragged about throwing around Borgesi's name without his knowledge "because he could get whatever he wanted," Davis testified.

"Louie thought he should be running the mob," Davis said.

But the relationship between the Council aide and the mob figure soured in 2011, soon after Monacello was arrested along with Borgesi, Ligambi, and other mob defendants.

Monacello asked Davis to retrieve a loaded revolver hidden in the floor of his home. Davis agreed, but immediately had second thoughts, he said.

He told jurors he eventually turned the firearm over to the mob figure's mother.

Prosecutors seized on that decision in cross-examination, challenging Davis on his failure to report the incident to police or his bosses at City Hall.

"Did you ever tell Anna Verna that you were hanging out and drinking with a vicious criminal who bragged about how he wanted to be the head of the Philadelphia mob?" asked Frank Labor, an assistant U.S. attorney.

Davis, who now works as an administrative services coordinator for Council, said no. He also denied using Verna's car to pick up Monacello after an earlier release from jail.

Despite persistent questioning, Davis gave no credence to allegations his testimony was prompted by lingering resentment from a lawsuit Monacello filed against Davis' wife last year in a fight over a dining room furniture set.

"You're still angry, aren't you?" Labor insisted.

Davis shot back: "You'd like to think so, wouldn't you?"

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/201312...o_the_boss.html

Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: Giancarlo] #756400
12/31/13 02:45 AM
12/31/13 02:45 AM
J
Jose Offline
Capo
Jose  Offline
J
Capo
Are they in trial tomorrow ?

Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: 22] #756419
12/31/13 10:33 AM
12/31/13 10:33 AM
Baltimore
HandsomeStevie Offline
Underboss
HandsomeStevie  Offline
Underboss
Baltimore
Thanks alot. Its not easy getting those pictures as i spend probably 5 hours every morning trying to find more interesting stuff and pictures.. and your def right it is human nature.. they are criminals and the world should know who they are, and i know there are a lot of people just as curious as me.

Death Before Dishonor
Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: Giancarlo] #756441
12/31/13 12:45 PM
12/31/13 12:45 PM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
What's the name of this s. philly club?

Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: Giancarlo] #756461
12/31/13 01:54 PM
12/31/13 01:54 PM
J
Jose Offline
Capo
Jose  Offline
J
Capo
Not sure about that club I'm sure someone on here knows though .. Trial took half day today .. Everyone clearing out for New Years

Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: Giancarlo] #756478
12/31/13 02:43 PM
12/31/13 02:43 PM
Bronx
Vito_Scaletta Offline
Button
Vito_Scaletta  Offline
Button
Bronx
Defense begins its case in mob racketeering retrial

December 31, 2013

AFTER MORE than six weeks of testimony by 28 witnesses, numerous audio recordings and photos of alleged mobsters in dress suits and swimsuits, prosecutors in the federal racketeering retrial of reputed mob boss Joseph Ligambi and his nephew George Borgesi rested their case yesterday.

Then it was the defense's turn to try to discredit some of those witnesses.

First up was Jerry Davis, a City Council staffer who works for Council President Darrell Clarke and previously served as a driver for Anna Verna when she was Council president.

Davis, 55, testified that he had socialized with Louis "Bent Finger Lou" Monacello from 2005 to 2011, when they were next-door neighbors on 18th Street near Forrestal, south of Packer Avenue, in South Philadelphia.

Monacello, 47, a star witness for the prosecution and a former mob associate who had been pals with Borgesi, had told jurors about times when Borgesi, 50, his former captain, had used violence or the threat of violence to collect money in illegal bookmaking operations, had beaten up another mob associate, Angelo Lutz, and had claimed to be responsible for 11 murders.

Edwin Jacobs Jr., the attorney for Ligambi, 74, tried to show that Monacello wasn't trustworthy.

Davis testified that in 2012, Monacello - who by then had moved to Ventnor, N.J. - asked him to go to his South Philly house to pick up a bag. Davis said he found a trash bag in a hole in a closet and later saw that it contained a loaded .38-caliber revolver.

Davis said he was nervous and didn't know what to do. He didn't give the gun to the man who Monacello wanted to receive it. The next day, with Monacello's mother banging on his door, he told his wife to give the gun to her.

Davis said that when he and Monacello had hung out together, Monacello had talked about the mob and had made disparaging remarks about its leadership.

Monacello "thought he should be running the mob," Davis said. "He said they don't know what they're doing."

Asked if Monacello ever talked about Ligambi, Davis - mimicking Monacello by putting his hands together in the shape of a gun - testified that Monacello would point toward Ligambi's home and say, "I hate him with a passion."

In his cross-examination, Assistant U.S. Attorney Frank Labor asked Davis if he knew that the gun he retrieved from Monacello's home was the retired service weapon of Monacello's father, who had been a Philly cop. Davis said he did not know that.

The defense yesterday also called to the stand five FBI agents, whom it had subpoenaed. Jacobs asked Special Agent Eric Ruona about a March 2003 debriefing he had with another cooperating witness, Anthony Aponick, 42, an associate with a New York crime family.

Aponick at the time was sharing a federal prison cell with Borgesi in Beckley, W. Va. He had reached out to the FBI the year before to become a confidential informant.

"Did Anthony Aponick tell you Joe Ligambi was no longer the head of the Philadelphia mob and the Gambino family in New York installed a new capo?" Jacobs asked Ruona.

Ruona agreed that Aponick had told him that.

V.Scaletta
Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: LuanKuci] #756480
12/31/13 02:50 PM
12/31/13 02:50 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline OP
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline OP
G
Underboss
Originally Posted By: LuanKuci
What's the name of this s. philly club?

Looks like La Casa di Pazzo on Federal street.

Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: Vito_Scaletta] #756488
12/31/13 02:59 PM
12/31/13 02:59 PM
L
LuckyDucky Offline
Wiseguy
LuckyDucky  Offline
L
Wiseguy

Monacello "thought he should be running the mob," Davis said. "He said they don't know what they're doing."

Well, looks like Bent Finger Lou got that one right.

Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: Vito_Scaletta] #756503
12/31/13 03:11 PM
12/31/13 03:11 PM
L
LuckyDucky Offline
Wiseguy
LuckyDucky  Offline
L
Wiseguy

"Did Anthony Aponick tell you Joe Ligambi was no longer the head of the Philadelphia mob and the Gambino family in New York installed a new capo?" Jacobs asked Ruona.

I'm no lawyer, but does Jacobs think that this helps Uncle Joe? Kinda' sounds like it hurts him to me.

Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: LuckyDucky] #756510
12/31/13 03:25 PM
12/31/13 03:25 PM
Camden County NJ
jmack Offline
Made Member
jmack  Offline
Made Member
Camden County NJ
Originally Posted By: LuckyDucky

I'm no lawyer, but does Jacobs think that this helps Uncle Joe? Kinda' sounds like it hurts him to me.

It helps him on the conspiracy charge. The Government has been trying to show that he was in charge of the enterprise and profiting from the actions of others. The Feds don't have him on tape accepting any payments so it's vital to prove that he was in charge. Then they can show the structure of LCN and how payments work. This may be his best defense to the conspiracy charge, as well as discrediting the witnesses.

Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: Giancarlo] #756519
12/31/13 04:01 PM
12/31/13 04:01 PM
NJ
F
FrankMazola Offline
Underboss
FrankMazola  Offline
F
Underboss
NJ
@Lucky

Eddie Jacobs intelligently set out at the beginning of this trial that there is no crime in being a member of Cosa Nostra. There IS a crime in committing criminal acts and being a part of an ongoing criminal conspiracy. Words like "Gambino", "Boss", "Capo", "Mafia", etc. aren't a crime.

I was impressed with this admission. I'm surprised so many attorneys have glossed over this by futilely saying "There is no mafia".

F. Mazola, Esq.
Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: Giancarlo] #756525
12/31/13 04:40 PM
12/31/13 04:40 PM
Baltimore
HandsomeStevie Offline
Underboss
HandsomeStevie  Offline
Underboss
Baltimore
does anyone know who the guy at the doorway to the social club is? theres alot of social clubs in south philly but i know theyre not all involved in criminal acts.

Death Before Dishonor
Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: HandsomeStevie] #756532
12/31/13 05:06 PM
12/31/13 05:06 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline OP
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline OP
G
Underboss
Originally Posted By: HandsomeStevie
does anyone know who the guy at the doorway to the social club is? theres alot of social clubs in south philly but i know theyre not all involved in criminal acts.

Not sure but if you google the place it's owned by some guy named Tom Coletti. I don't think it's a mob club,
just a neighborhood spot.

http://www.southphillyreview.com/news/Prep_Charter_pupils_gift_of_giving-234496541.html?printView=y

Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: Giancarlo] #756541
12/31/13 06:31 PM
12/31/13 06:31 PM
New Jersey
Dellacroce Offline
Underboss
Dellacroce  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
New Year's Eve At The Mob Trial

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

By Ralph Cipriano
for Bigtrial.net

"It's New Year's Eve," "Uncle Joe" Ligambi yelled at one of the feds. "What are you doing here? You should be getting ready for tonight's parties."

For a guy stuck in jail on the holidays, the boss of the Philadelphia mob was in surprisingly good spirits today.

The prosecution had wound up its case, and the defense was putting on its witnesses. They included a former car dealer who once sold Uncle Joe a Cadillac, and a gambling expert who tried to show that some of the gamblers overheard on federal surveillance tapes were actually part of somebody else's bookmaking operation, and not Uncle Joe's.

It was a half-day for the mob trial on New Year's Eve, as the judge and lawyers in the case knocked off early, but not before they talked about scheduling. It looks like the defense will wind up its case on Thursday by calling "Frankie The Fixer" DiGiacomo, a former government witness.

At the first mob trial, DiGiacomo, a South Philly plumber and wannabe wise guy, sounded more like a defense witness last year when he described Uncle Joe and his co-defendants as "good people, great people." Frankie the Fixer also ripped fellow government witness "Bent Finger Lou" Monacello as somebody who "should have been dead a long time ago."

Judge Eduardo Robreno said he expected closing statements on Monday and Tuesday, and then, after the judge delivers his charge on Tuesday afternoon, the case will go to the jury.

Ligambi greeted the defense's first witness today, Patrick W. Ferraro, by telling him, "You look like a judge," and "I like that white on white shirt."

Ferraro is the father of Alyson Borgesi, the wife of George Borgesi, Ligambi's nephew and co-defendant.

Before court got started, Ligambi made small talk with the Ferraro, swapped jokes with the feds, and commiserated with his lawyer, Eddie Jacobs, about Jacobs' back problems.

The veteran defense lawyer has a herniated disc. He seems in obvious pain as he hobbled around on a cane, and stood while court was in session. But a back operation will have to wait until the mob trial is over.

Jacobs told Ligambi it was time to start interviewing surgeons. "I don't want to be walking around this in June," Jacobs told his client.

When Ferraro took the witness stand, he described how the FBI showed up at his former car dealership in Delaware County about ten years ago, looking for records of sales to Ligambi, Borgesi and Monacello. Ferraro said he told his employees to give the feds whatever records they wanted.

On cross-examination, Ferraro admitted he gave all three mobsters a discount. But hey, it was no big deal.

"I give everybody a discount," Ferraro told the prosecutor. "I was the only Cadillac dealership in Delaware County. Everyone came to us."

When defense lawyer Christopher Warren got another crack at Ferraro, he asked if there was anything crooked about those car deals a decade ago involving Ligambi, Borgesi and Monacello, he'd have probably heard about by now, right?

Objection, said the prosecutor.

Sustained, said the judge.

The next defense witness was Donald Fredericks, a mustachioed former Pennsylvania state trooper and private eye who's an expert on sports betting. As part of his role as a defense expert, Fredericks told the jury that he listened to some 3,000 government surveillance tapes.

Fredericks was asked to explain to the jury how a betting line works. He brought up Saturday night's playoff game between the Philadelphia Eagles and the New Orleans Saints.

Right now, the Eagles are favored by two points, Fredericks told the jury.

"You want to bet on New Orleans? New Orleans already has two points," Fredericks explained.

Fredericks was quizzed about several wiretapped conversations involving Damion Canalichio, a former mob enforcer who was sentenced in July at the last mob trial to 137 months in prison after he was convicted for racketeering and conspiracy.

"I'm more into collections," Canalichio told an undercover FBI agent posing as a gambler on one surveillance tape, a transcript of which was displayed in court. "That's my thing."

"You pay your fucking debts," Canalichio was overheard telling a delinquent bettor. "You understand?"

The point seemed to be that Canalichio had said on another surveillance tape that "This is Stevie's money," referring to mobster Steve Mazzone, who's not charged in the case. Not Uncle Joe's money.

During a break, Ligambi quizzed one of the feds about some other local bookmaking action.

"You bet the Eagles?" Ligambi asked with a knowing smile about the home team's narrow two-point win last Sunday over the Cowboys.

The Eagles were favored by 6 1/2.

"It hurts," replied the fed.

Meanwhile, Borgesi was talking about lunch.

"The pizza," he said to Uncle Joe. "That's all I care about."

The judge told the jury they might have to call in on an inclement weather hotline on Thursday to see if court will go on as scheduled, in the face of a forecast calling for snow.

With that warning, and an admonition not to read any trial coverage in the media, the judge send the jury of 14 women and 2 men home for the holiday.

"See you Thursday at our regular time, God willing," the judge said. "And Happy New Year."

Read more at http://www.bigtrial.net/2013/12/new-yea ... DcpLyW6.99

"Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a poor man, and I've been a rich man. And I choose rich every fucking time."

-Jordan Belfort
Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: Giancarlo] #756543
12/31/13 06:42 PM
12/31/13 06:42 PM
J
Jose Offline
Capo
Jose  Offline
J
Capo
Thursday should be good with the Fixer taking the stand .. I wonder how many times a witness has switched sides like this ..

Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: Jose] #756544
12/31/13 06:52 PM
12/31/13 06:52 PM
New Jersey
Dellacroce Offline
Underboss
Dellacroce  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Jose
Thursday should be good with the Fixer taking the stand .. I wonder how many times a witness has switched sides like this ..

ya thats pretty rare, the defense calling a govt rat as one of their witnesses. but technically the defense can subpoena anyone they want that is pertinent to the case, kinda like how the other day they had those feds up there on witness stand called by defense. lol at the fixer saying monacello shouldve been dead a long time ago, doesnt seem to many people had a lot of respect for "fuck finger lou".

"Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a poor man, and I've been a rich man. And I choose rich every fucking time."

-Jordan Belfort
Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: Giancarlo] #756546
12/31/13 07:09 PM
12/31/13 07:09 PM
J
Jose Offline
Capo
Jose  Offline
J
Capo
I'll try to get to the trial on Thursday but my job may get in the way. For you non Philly crew - New Year's Day is bigger than New Year's Eve with the mummers parade and 2 street parties. Lots of wiseguys head down that way tomorrow afternoon. All bars open very early.
Either way I'll report back if I make the trial.

Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: Giancarlo] #756559
01/01/14 12:03 AM
01/01/14 12:03 AM
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline
T
Underboss
new jersey
Do u guys think it's true that uncle Joe was replaced as boss and the gambino ' is still hand picking Phillips adminastration?

"McGurn likes you, so I make you. So you are now one of us, if you fuck up, we take it out on McGurn. He is your sponsor. Fuck up, it's his ass. You work in his crew, he is your capo."
Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: Giancarlo] #756569
01/01/14 03:17 AM
01/01/14 03:17 AM
Baltimore
HandsomeStevie Offline
Underboss
HandsomeStevie  Offline
Underboss
Baltimore
Gambinos aren't handpicking anything for Philly period.

Death Before Dishonor
Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: Giancarlo] #756581
01/01/14 11:10 AM
01/01/14 11:10 AM
Baltimore
HandsomeStevie Offline
Underboss
HandsomeStevie  Offline
Underboss
Baltimore
I wish I was in Philly to watch the mummers parade. All you Philly guys, now is the time to bust out your camera and go get some good pics of mazzone and all his guys!! Guarantee there all outside right now!!

Death Before Dishonor
Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: Giancarlo] #756590
01/01/14 01:06 PM
01/01/14 01:06 PM
J
Jose Offline
Capo
Jose  Offline
J
Capo
Stevie - I'll be down on 2 street and doing the south Philly passyunk tour - the best I can describe it to non Philly guys is it's like burboun street for the day .. And I'll look out for Stevie and his crew - they likely hang out at broadway theatrical club today though members only

Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: HandsomeStevie] #756591
01/01/14 01:13 PM
01/01/14 01:13 PM
Camden County NJ
jmack Offline
Made Member
jmack  Offline
Made Member
Camden County NJ
Originally Posted By: HandsomeStevie
I wish I was in Philly to watch the mummers parade. All you Philly guys, now is the time to bust out your camera and go get some good pics of mazzone and all his guys!! Guarantee there all outside right now!!

I'm getting ready to head over there now.

Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: Giancarlo] #756595
01/01/14 02:03 PM
01/01/14 02:03 PM
J
Jose Offline
Capo
Jose  Offline
J
Capo
Mummers showing up at paddy wacks on south street

Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: Giancarlo] #756601
01/01/14 02:28 PM
01/01/14 02:28 PM
W
Wilson101 Offline
Underboss
Wilson101  Offline
W
Underboss
I'm too hungover today to venture into the city. Fml

Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: Jose] #756603
01/01/14 02:45 PM
01/01/14 02:45 PM
Baltimore
HandsomeStevie Offline
Underboss
HandsomeStevie  Offline
Underboss
Baltimore
this is probably like the 3rd time in 27 years that I have missed it. Parade is alright but I enjoy seeing everyone and having a good time. especially tonight on 2 street, i want to jump in the car right now but dont get paid til tomorrow. 2 street is always a blast no matter what age you are..
Anyway that would be pretty cool if anybody got a few shots of stevie and the rest of the crew but probably wont happen. I was reading comments on BigTrial.net last night and people were saying Mazzone and Lance are rats because they didnt get indicted with the rest of the guys. They said since canalicho and the other guy were part of mazzones sports book then mazzone shouldve got indicted too. But I dont think they can really prove it or otherwise he would of been hit too.

Death Before Dishonor
Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: Giancarlo] #756605
01/01/14 03:14 PM
01/01/14 03:14 PM
J
Jose Offline
Capo
Jose  Offline
J
Capo
On 2 street right now and it's going off - no f'n way Stevie is a rat / he's as stand up as you get. Handsome - I'll be looking around but their social clubs are Deep South and not really near the action today -

Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: HandsomeStevie] #756607
01/01/14 03:40 PM
01/01/14 03:40 PM
Southeastern Massachusetts
JCB1977 Offline
Underboss
JCB1977  Offline
Underboss
Pictures for what reason? That's their problem, always looking for media attention.

Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: Jose] #756609
01/01/14 03:43 PM
01/01/14 03:43 PM
JCB1977 Offline
Underboss
JCB1977  Offline
Underboss
Hope Joe walks, hope freckles gets his salad tossed

Re: Philly Mob Retrial News [Re: Giancarlo] #756682
01/02/14 08:05 AM
01/02/14 08:05 AM
22 Offline
Underboss
22  Offline
Underboss
I wonder if it it psychology to be locked up at the federal building instesd of a federal prison.By that I mean even though they don't have their freedom its like they look out the window and see familiar sites.Family is only minutes away.To me it just seemed unusual the way they said Ligambi was joking with the feds about gambling and how the only thing on Borgesi's mind was the pizza for lunch.I think Borgesi will walk but he has to be concerned that if he doesn't it will have been like he got a life sentence back in 2001 instead of 14 years.I'm not saying they should walk around with attitudes but if they do get jammed up then their out in the heartland of America or way down south where it seems like it would be very lonely.

Page 17 of 38 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 37 38

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull