GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (2 invisible), 260 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,886
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,325
Posts1,058,642
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Bonanno, Gambino, Costello, ever whack someone? [Re: TheChickenMan] #737275
08/28/13 03:26 PM
08/28/13 03:26 PM
Snakes Offline
Underboss
Snakes  Offline
Underboss
I could have seen any of these three killing someone in the Prohibition era or in Castellamarese.

"Snakes... Snakes... I don't know no Snakes."
Re: Bonanno, Gambino, Costello, ever whack someone? [Re: HairyKnuckles] #737307
08/28/13 05:22 PM
08/28/13 05:22 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
For what it´s worth, Costello was sentenced to a 10 month prison term back in 1915 for carrying a pistol. This doesn´t necessarily mean that he was a gunner, but apparently he was not totally unaccostomed to firearms.

I wouldn't be suprised to say the least that each of these guys carried out a murder in their youth. They definitely made their bones in one way or another.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Bonanno, Gambino, Costello, ever whack someone? [Re: TheChickenMan] #737311
08/28/13 05:32 PM
08/28/13 05:32 PM
H
ht2 Offline
Capo
ht2  Offline
H
Capo
For what it´s worth, Costello was sentenced to a 10 month prison term back in 1915 for carrying a pistol. This doesn´t necessarily mean that he was a gunner, but apparently he was not totally unaccostomed to firearms.

Yeah, the Sullivan act was passed in 1911, requiring a permit for a concealed gun. I read that most ny citizens could not afford the $3 registration fee. I could be wrong but Costello seemed more on the white collar, business side of things. It's anyones guess what may have happened during prohibition and or a mob war.

From Kefauver Senate hearings:

Mr. Halley. What was your first occupation, the first business or occupation in which you engaged ?
Mr. Costello. I believe I worked in a piano factory, I told you.
Mr. Halley. Then I think after that, was it right after that that you were convicted on this gun charge ?
Mr. Costello. Yes, 1915, I believe.
Mr. Halley. After you were released from jail, what did you do then? Where did you work, or what occupation did you have?
Mr. Costello. Well, we were manufacturing— with a fellow named Horowitz, manufacturing kewpie dolls.
Mr. Halley. That was not a successful enterprise, was it ?
Mr. Costello. Well, we did all right with it. What do you call successful?

Last edited by ht2; 08/28/13 05:33 PM.
Re: Bonanno, Gambino, Costello, ever whack someone? [Re: TheChickenMan] #737316
08/28/13 05:46 PM
08/28/13 05:46 PM
T
TheChickenMan Offline OP
Made Member
TheChickenMan  Offline OP
T
Made Member
I just know that if you are a really good moneymaker/earner then it doesnt matter if you made your bones or not. with all of costellos political power I think he was very useful even if he never committed a murder. On that note, it has been said that you just had to participate in the murder conspiracy ( planning, cleaning up, crash car, getaway driver, dumping body etc) and not actually had to pull the trigger. If that is the case then I can see it possible that a lot of people made their bones, but to think that everyone has pulled the trigger is foolish and plain wrong and we all know it.

Also, by watching that 60 minutes interview with Bonanno its obvious that he did not like Luciano, I would think that he held a grudge for murdering Maranzano, his idol.

Re: Bonanno, Gambino, Costello, ever whack someone? [Re: ht2] #737454
08/29/13 08:50 AM
08/29/13 08:50 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Originally Posted By: ht2

Yeah, the Sullivan act was passed in 1911, requiring a permit for a concealed gun. I read that most ny citizens could not afford the $3 registration fee. I could be wrong but Costello seemed more on the white collar, business side of things. It's anyones guess what may have happened during prohibition and or a mob war.

From Kefauver Senate hearings:

Mr. Halley. What was your first occupation, the first business or occupation in which you engaged ?
Mr. Costello. I believe I worked in a piano factory, I told you.
Mr. Halley. Then I think after that, was it right after that that you were convicted on this gun charge ?
Mr. Costello. Yes, 1915, I believe.
Mr. Halley. After you were released from jail, what did you do then? Where did you work, or what occupation did you have?
Mr. Costello. Well, we were manufacturing— with a fellow named Horowitz, manufacturing kewpie dolls.
Mr. Halley. That was not a successful enterprise, was it ?
Mr. Costello. Well, we did all right with it. What do you call successful?

During prohibition, Costello was huge in alcohol distribution. I would think that all the Mafia bosses at the time craved his territory, which spanned from New Jersey to upstate NY. Even parts of Massachusetts and Hartford fell under his control. That may explain why particually the Genovese Family later inducted mobsters living in that area, many of them being partners with Costello early on. But during prohibition he survived by having Willy Moretti, a tough enforcer by his side.

And you´re right, Costello was def more white collar than blue. His huge earnings from prohibition, was invested in fully legit companies that did very well. I think I read in a wire tap transcription how angry Costello was with his psychriatrist Dr Richard Hoffman who had advised him to mingle with a better class of people. Costello angrily said that he had actually introduced Hoffman to an even better class of people, the ones in the political world.

[Linked Image]
Re: Bonanno, Gambino, Costello, ever whack someone? [Re: TheChickenMan] #737458
08/29/13 10:05 AM
08/29/13 10:05 AM
Dooley36 Offline
Wiseguy
Dooley36  Offline
Wiseguy
Watch that 60 minutes interview with Bonanno, and wathc his eyes....he looked more than capable of killing somneone espcially when describing how Maranzano told him about how hard man was to kill, and he talks about "defending" himself

Re: Bonanno, Gambino, Costello, ever whack someone? [Re: TheChickenMan] #737469
08/29/13 11:29 AM
08/29/13 11:29 AM
ATL
SilentPartnerz Offline
Capo
SilentPartnerz  Offline
Capo
ATL
I have a feeling that most of the old time made guys killed someone when they were young. Or they were at least part of a hit team in some capacity.

"Three can keep a secret..if two are dead."
Calogero Minacore
Re: Bonanno, Gambino, Costello, ever whack someone? [Re: LittleMan] #750653
11/29/13 12:10 AM
11/29/13 12:10 AM
Buffalo,New York
frankg2469 Offline
A.K.A. Benny Squint
frankg2469  Offline
A.K.A. Benny Squint
Button
Buffalo,New York
Dellacroce is absolutely correct----there has never been a requirement to actually pull the trigger.Participating in any role,at any stage will suffice.This includes,but is not limited to : luring the target to the place he'll be killed,transporting or helping dispose of the body,or even just helping plan a successful hit.

"A mook---what's a mook ?" Johnny Boy Civello
Re: Bonanno, Gambino, Costello, ever whack someone? [Re: frankg2469] #750656
11/29/13 01:33 AM
11/29/13 01:33 AM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
People from Bonanno to Buscetta have made it clear that not everyone who gets made has to have participated in a murder. There were people with prestige positions, such as attorneys, politicians, physicians and even priests who were made members but had no need to be called to kill. Frank Desimone, the boss of the Los Angeles Family from 1956-67 was a licensed, practicing criminal attorney who probably never pulled the trigger on anyone. He's only one example and there are plenty of others.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull