GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 335 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,892
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,327
Posts1,058,668
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Football Is A Waste Of Time #732245
08/06/13 12:22 PM
08/06/13 12:22 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Ok, I've said it. It is a stupid sport that gets worse as each year goes by. The College conferences are a complete mess, they make no sense, and all of it is about money. The "student-athletes" aren't really students, and the number of thugs per capita among them compares to the rest of the population is too hish. Cash strapped schools pay coaches more than professors or researchers, and at the end of the day there are always the same five or six schools have a shot at the national championship.

As for the pro game, it is a waste of time. The frickin games take 4 to 5 hours...it is not worth it. There are countless replays, inane announcers and a few elite teams and little else worth watching.

I watched very little football last year and probably will watch none this year (except the Super Bowl, which no one really watches anyway. Its just an excuse to have a party).
Thoughts?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: dontomasso] #732493
08/07/13 12:58 PM
08/07/13 12:58 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
What's your local team?

Do you think that your outlook would be different if your local team was perennial contender?

As far as college goes...college sports in general is a sham...even schools that don't offer athletic scholarships have SEPARATE applications for athletes of high profile teams. you'll generally find that even in "leagues" not associated with big time college sports...that the same three schools dominate any given sport, year in and year out.

trust me....

at ANY University.....there are schools that are easier to get into than others...and there are relatively easy majors that athletes are steered into

=============================

"cash strapped" schools can generate a LOT of revenue for their schools if they hire the right guy/gal to coach their team or be their AD....a LOT of revenue....
schools switch conferences at the drop of a hat for the same reason

that coach gets a few good recruiting classes and school can potentially get a return on investment (coach's salary) that makes all parties happy.

The big time football factories just operate on a larger scale and with no pretensions, but lot of college sports are dirty.

=============================================

the pro game is GREAT....automatic reviews on every scoring play might slow the game down..but is great for the game.

NOTHING in sports is equal to your team winning the superbowl (unless a blood relative of your wins a gold medal in Olympics)

outside of family stuff and personal accomplishments...Giants beating the then undefeated Patriots was one of the most happy moments of my life.

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: getthesenets] #732512
08/07/13 02:37 PM
08/07/13 02:37 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Great reply.

My local team is Tampas Bay which has had litt to cheer about lately. I do remember their glory years and their Super bowl win. While it was great my team winning the Staney Cup was better.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: dontomasso] #732540
08/07/13 06:00 PM
08/07/13 06:00 PM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
Been a huge college fan since before the college game has gotten out of hand. Sadly now that the NCAA knows this is a cash cow it will be treated like that from here on out. Alabama football alone pays for everything else in the school to function sports wise. I'll take it though. Roll Tide!

Tampa Bay huh? I spent a week every summer on Davis Island. Loved it.

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: dontomasso] #732599
08/07/13 09:12 PM
08/07/13 09:12 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
DT, you are in my camp. I've lost a lot of interest in Pro Sports. TV is all about the "show" and not the game. The game is all about show-boating. What happened to the athletes? Role models? - NO. I'd rather watch a college lacrosse game.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: dontomasso] #732606
08/07/13 09:52 PM
08/07/13 09:52 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I'm not a football fan, but my husband likes the Giants. Do what he does. He DVRs the games, fast forwards through all the BS and can watch an entire game in about an hour.

The TV BS can be said for all sports. Look at NASCAR. It was way much more fun to watch in the days of Cale Yarborough, AJ Foyt, the Allisons, Richard Petty. Now the cars are so uniform, it's all garbage.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: Sicilian Babe] #732663
08/08/13 03:26 AM
08/08/13 03:26 AM
STRONG ISLAND
Caemine718 Offline
Button
Caemine718  Offline
Button
STRONG ISLAND
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I'm not a football fan, but my husband likes the Giants. Do what he does. He DVRs the games, fast forwards through all the BS and can watch an entire game in about an hour.

The TV BS can be said for all sports. Look at NASCAR. It was way much more fun to watch in the days of Cale Yarborough, AJ Foyt, the Allisons, Richard Petty. Now the cars are so uniform, it's all garbage.

That's not a nice thing to say. The bs commercials, my wife works in advertising and broadcasting and has delivered some very informative PSA's considering a lot of issues we have in todays society. Some of us at the AdConsuel love giving back to the community while also going to various sports events to promote awareness. I'm not trying to be confrontational but you and your husband seem quite ignorant to do such a thing.

My name is caemine not carmine.

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: Caemine718] #732684
08/08/13 05:21 AM
08/08/13 05:21 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Caemine718
I'm not trying to be confrontational but you and your husband seem quite ignorant to do such a thing.

Try harder! You can start by apologizing to Sicilian Babe.

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: SC] #732687
08/08/13 05:36 AM
08/08/13 05:36 AM
STRONG ISLAND
Caemine718 Offline
Button
Caemine718  Offline
Button
STRONG ISLAND
Originally Posted By: SC
I'm not trying to be confrontational but you and your husband seem quite ignorant to do such a thing.

Try harder! You can start by apologizing to Sicilian Babe.

I shouldn't have worded it in such a manner so I apologize. I meant that from a business point of view. Sure there is strategically placed ads that are annoying but their are organizations that work closely with Athletes and implement programs that are beneficial to a generation of at risk youth in Ny and else well. I'm not trying to argue or fight with anyone Im here new SC. I've browsed here and there over the years and then decided to sign up recently not trying to get off on the wrong foot with you and Sicilian babe

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: MaryCas] #732704
08/08/13 10:45 AM
08/08/13 10:45 AM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: MaryCas
DT, you are in my camp. I've lost a lot of interest in Pro Sports. TV is all about the "show" and not the game. The game is all about show-boating. What happened to the athletes? Role models? - NO. I'd rather watch a college lacrosse game.

AMEN! College LAX...now there's a game!

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: dontomasso] #732759
08/08/13 02:42 PM
08/08/13 02:42 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
A. I'm not ignorant.
B. You SEEM ignorant by saying that to people who fast forward through commercials, which is anyone who owns a DVR.
C. Instead of "promoting awareness", why don't you just volunteer at a soup kitchen twice a week? You would probably do a lot more good.

Perhaps you didn't mean any harm, but telling someone they're ignorant and not nice isn't exactly a page out of Dale Carnegie.

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: Sicilian Babe] #732761
08/08/13 02:48 PM
08/08/13 02:48 PM
STRONG ISLAND
Caemine718 Offline
Button
Caemine718  Offline
Button
STRONG ISLAND
A. I'm not ignorant.
B. You SEEM ignorant by saying that to people who fast forward through commercials, which is anyone who owns a DVR.
C. Instead of "promoting awareness", why don't you just volunteer at a soup kitchen twice a week? You would probably do a lot more good.

Perhaps you didn't mean any harm, but telling someone they're ignorant and not nice isn't exactly a page out of Dale Carnegie.

I'm not going to argue with you. Well do you read Carnegies books like how to win friends and influence people? Jesus I just signed up here and feel like Im being attacked you can go to a soul kitchen and help out how about that?

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: dontomasso] #732770
08/08/13 03:21 PM
08/08/13 03:21 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I wasn't looking for an argument either. I was telling you what my husband does, since I stated that I don't even LIKE football.

Please, go in peace, find a good outlet for all your anger.

By the way, what's a soul kitchen? Is that where they cook souls and serve them to Satan?? Just a little joke, trying to lighten the mood!

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: Sicilian Babe] #732801
08/08/13 04:17 PM
08/08/13 04:17 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Nice thread title DT. wink I agree with both DT & SB.

As you all know I watch NO sports. However, there have been a few times during Super Bowl I only watch the halftime show. What a pain in the ass waiting for what shows as 3 freekin' minutes on the clock to pass that actually takes a half hour. rolleyes I found a solution tho. My son-in-law who many times watches calls me at half time, sparing me the torture of watching a game. tongue

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: dontomasso] #732802
08/08/13 04:18 PM
08/08/13 04:18 PM
STRONG ISLAND
Caemine718 Offline
Button
Caemine718  Offline
Button
STRONG ISLAND
I'm not angry. I'm beyond hurt the way you've talked to me. You know I meant soup.

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: dontomasso] #732832
08/08/13 04:53 PM
08/08/13 04:53 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Yes, that's why I said it was a JOKE. Can we please move on?

TIS, I do watch sometimes, only because it's something to share with my husband, but baseball is my game.

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: Caemine718] #732838
08/08/13 04:57 PM
08/08/13 04:57 PM
It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

Let's be fair Caemine, you came in quite aggressively defensive over something that not many people have an interest in - advertising/marketing. I appreciate your wife may do some good work in it but in honesty I would be happy if I never saw an ad ever again. That's no disrespect to your wife but it's my honest feeling.

Perhaps we should get back on topic. Football.

So die all who betray Giuliano
Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: Sicilian Babe] #732840
08/08/13 04:59 PM
08/08/13 04:59 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Yes, that's why I said it was a JOKE. Can we please move on?

TIS, I do watch sometimes, only because it's something to share with my husband, but baseball is my game.

SB,

If I HAD to pick one sport I would watch,(and actually I did go to one Angels' game believe it or not) it probably would be baseball. It's waaaay easier to understand. wink

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 08/08/13 05:00 PM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: Turi Giuliano] #732845
08/08/13 05:07 PM
08/08/13 05:07 PM
STRONG ISLAND
Caemine718 Offline
Button
Caemine718  Offline
Button
STRONG ISLAND
Originally Posted By: Turi Giuliano
Let's be fair Caemine, you came in quite aggressively defensive over something that not many people have an interest in - advertising/marketing. I appreciate your wife may do some good work in it but in honesty I would be happy if I never saw an ad ever again. That's no disrespect to your wife but it's my honest feeling.

I love football turi. She coordinated a lot of campaigns PSAs (public service announcements) for controversial issues such as Gay Marriage.

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: dontomasso] #732850
08/08/13 05:16 PM
08/08/13 05:16 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
As we digress....and Ambassador Turi lends a calming hand (what a guy), it is an interesting topic. In many walks of life technology, money and sport seem to collide. We as humans love to play like puppies, yet we have many sophisticated sports. Technology makes the simple and innocent into something complicated and strips it down. The Sloooooooooooooooow, motionnnnnnnnnnnnn, replaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay; from every angle. Do we really need referees and judges? I think not. Cameras, lasers and computers can do the job. Then there is the cash. Where there is sport-hype there is cash. Where there is cash, there is corruption. Can the three co-exist? Contentiously.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: Caemine718] #732909
08/08/13 06:52 PM
08/08/13 06:52 PM
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

Originally Posted By: Turi Giuliano

I love football turi. She coordinated a lot of campaigns PSAs (public service announcements) for controversial issues such as Gay Marriage.

Brilliant and it's great to hear. I truly hope it makes a difference, we need less intolerance in this world.

Originally Posted By: MaryCas
As we digress....and Ambassador Turi lends a calming hand (what a guy), it is an interesting topic. In many walks of life technology, money and sport seem to collide. We as humans love to play like puppies, yet we have many sophisticated sports. Technology makes the simple and innocent into something complicated and strips it down. The Sloooooooooooooooow, motionnnnnnnnnnnnn, replaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay; from every angle. Do we really need referees and judges? I think not. Cameras, lasers and computers can do the job. Then there is the cash. Where there is sport-hype there is cash. Where there is cash, there is corruption. Can the three co-exist? Contentiously.

True, the money element has gotten ridiculously out of hand, especially over here with our football [soccer] where we're still crawling out of a double dip recession yet players continue to request bigger contracts? Completely separating themselves from the regular person. I assume it's not that different over there. (I.E A-Rod "fighting for his life"? Really? After all those millions you've earned?

Gotta admit I love the slow mo stuff though smile

So die all who betray Giuliano
Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: dontomasso] #732951
08/08/13 09:59 PM
08/08/13 09:59 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Don't get me started on ARoid, Turi. He's disgraceful on so many levels.

Unfortunately, it seems football players are even worse, though (how do you like that segue back on topic???). I believe over 40 NFL players have been arrested this year, with the most notable being the Patriot's Hernandez.

Here is a link to a database of all NFL players arrested since 2000. The list is rather long, and UT San Diego doesn't guarantee that it's comprehensive.

http://www.utsandiego.com/nfl/arrests-da...amp;CPIorderBy=

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: dontomasso] #733135
08/09/13 04:44 PM
08/09/13 04:44 PM
Graveyard
The Iceman Offline
Official BB Hitman
The Iceman  Offline
Official BB Hitman
Underboss
Graveyard
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Ok, I've said it. It is a stupid sport that gets worse as each year goes by. The College conferences are a complete mess, they make no sense, and all of it is about money. The "student-athletes" aren't really students, and the number of thugs per capita among them compares to the rest of the population is too hish. Cash strapped schools pay coaches more than professors or researchers, and at the end of the day there are always the same five or six schools have a shot at the national championship.

As for the pro game, it is a waste of time. The frickin games take 4 to 5 hours...it is not worth it. There are countless replays, inane announcers and a few elite teams and little else worth watching.

I watched very little football last year and probably will watch none this year (except the Super Bowl, which no one really watches anyway. Its just an excuse to have a party).
Thoughts?

DT based on this quote you and my dad would get along perfectly, as he hates football hell he hates all sports so does my mom and my brother. I'm a sports fanatic Football, Hockey and NASCAR are my big 3

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: The Iceman] #734164
08/13/13 11:32 AM
08/13/13 11:32 AM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Of your top 3 I am definitely a hockey fan. Sorry, I am one of those who doesn't "get" NASCAR.

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: dontomasso] #734250
08/13/13 04:13 PM
08/13/13 04:13 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
I can't watch NASCAR either. Many times I've been offered tickets for Pocono, but I have no interest.

But I can pretty much watch any football game any time, college or pro.

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: dontomasso] #734335
08/13/13 08:45 PM
08/13/13 08:45 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
For the non-specific sports fan, NASCAR and Golf are probably the two worst TV broadcasts. I play golf and I watch golf, but can I see if you are not a participant, it can be mighty boring.....but NASCAR is worse.

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: klydon1] #734448
08/14/13 08:21 AM
08/14/13 08:21 AM
massachusetts
scarfacetm Offline
Underboss
scarfacetm  Offline
Underboss
massachusetts
Originally Posted By: klydon1
I can't watch NASCAR either. Many times I've been offered tickets for Pocono, but I have no interest.

But I can pretty much watch any football game any time, college or pro.
I go to the races when they're up in New Hampshire, but honestly, thats why I perfer the European forms of racing i.e F1, GP2, GP3, then again my job involves working with those forms of racing so that might have something to do with it. I'm definitely a hockey person though.

"Death is the answer to all problems. No man, no problem."

"I'd rather be hated for who i am, than loved for who i am not"
Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: dontomasso] #734760
08/15/13 10:17 PM
08/15/13 10:17 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

As for the pro game, it is a waste of time.

Blasphemerrrrrrr!

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: olivant] #735636
08/20/13 10:50 AM
08/20/13 10:50 AM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: olivant

As for the pro game, it is a waste of time.

Blasphemerrrrrrr!

Ok, I'll clean it up. The pro game is a *(%$@#($*%

Re: Football Is A Waste Of Time [Re: dontomasso] #735662
08/20/13 02:01 PM
08/20/13 02:01 PM
Cajunland
LaLouisiane Offline
Cajun Mafia
LaLouisiane  Offline
Cajun Mafia
Underboss
Cajunland
Hey now Ladies and Gentlemen, the mob makes beaucoup money off of football with gambling, let's show a little respect huh?? LOL!

"What are you cacklin' hens cluckin' about?!?!"

"Is that him?!? With the sombrero on?!?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2