GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 361 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,491
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,923
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,334
Posts1,058,822
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Numbers racket #731830
08/04/13 04:45 PM
08/04/13 04:45 PM
Northumberland England
GaryH Offline OP
Underboss
GaryH  Offline OP
Underboss
Northumberland England
We all know about the Mobs famous numbers racket.

But what exactly did it entail?
I know they used the last 3 digits of the "handle" in the sports paper as the way to determine the number but what else can anyone tell me
Did they charge say $5 a number?
Did someone issue tickets or did they write it all down in a book (bit dodgy if the cops ever got hold of it)
What area's did numbers rackets cover? (was there a numbers racket in say Canarsie and another in Brownsville)

I read somewhere that the Red Hook numbers racket was worth $2.5 Million a year - no wonder Joey Gallo was pissed when Profaci didn't give it to him as promised!

Re: Numbers racket [Re: GaryH] #731844
08/04/13 05:53 PM
08/04/13 05:53 PM
In exile watching star wars an...
S
Skinny Offline
X
Skinny  Offline
X
S
Underboss
Gonna be a long post, sorry in advance if i go on a tangent but i can talk gambling for hrs.

im gonna assume you have some basic gambling/lottery knowledge.

It is just like book in that the actual operation would vary. You had a book like fat tony who had a few hundred runners and a dozen spots/parlors... Then u had the neighborhood grocer who was his own bank and wrote all his action by hand. Mostly receipts werent given out unless it was a parlor or a bigger runner. Records were kept by runners and offices. They had to. They needed a tally sheet that they could look down at every number from 000-999 and see how much action was on each number. The payout on a straight up hit was 600-1. The odds were 1000-1. Which theoretically made a profit of 40% on all wagers. Theoretically, also w/out expnses. Runners/agents/writers (all names for the same thing) got from 10-25%. Bigger operations had packages of runners or routes. This is say 5-6 guys in one neighborhood that were serviced by another runner, who acted more as a super agent, and he got a percentage on all his runners balances. The runners would turn the action over to the office, who would tally it up, and lay off what they didnt feel comfortable carrying. Most numbers were 600-1, but there were cut numbers like 500 or 999 or something common only got 400-1 or so. Just like a pick 3 u can box them as well. Back in the day, like 40-50s, u could bet a nickle. My dad calls it something funny i couldnt repeat on this board ha. Avg bet was a dollar or two a day. Big bets could be in the hundreds. Big lays went to the thousands. You could bet in credit, bet for the whole week, bet by the phone. Today they will do the state pick 3 even on sites iv seen. But THE number. The one everyone used is the handle (total wagers) for the day at a certain racetrack, i forget which days it goes around, like monmouth, or aquaduct, etc. They called it the brooklyn number actually. They used this exclusively in jersey from the 70s on. This was what they used in jacksonville, eastern virginia, delaware co penn.... Before brooklyn number they did like some total of different races for one number at a time. For an example, you gary went down to the corner and said to the bartender at wherever, give me 245 for a dollar, 690 for 2, and 410 for 5 all week. 8 dollars times 7 days a week is $56, what you owe him at the end of the week if nothing hits. Say on one day u hit 690. You would go down in a day or two and collect on your play. $2 x 600=1200 minus 54 dollars.... $1146 in ur pocket.

Territory was only carved up when one family controlled the entire neighborhood with a few crews. (westside manhattan, 1970s) As today runners/associates are the only territory these guys acknowledge.

Re: Numbers racket [Re: Skinny] #731850
08/04/13 06:02 PM
08/04/13 06:02 PM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Skinny
Gonna be a long post, sorry in advance if i go on a tangent but i can talk gambling for hrs.

It is just like book in that the actual operation would vary. You had a book like fat tony who had a few hundred runners and a dozen spots/parlors... Then u had the neighborhood grocer who was his own bank and wrote all his action by hand. Mostly receipts werent given out unless it was a parlor or a bigger runner. Records were kept by runners and offices. They had to. They needed a tally sheet that they could look down at every number from 000-999 and see how much action was on each number. The payout on a straight up hit was 600-1. The odds were 1000-1. Which theoretically made a profit of 40% on all wagers. Theoretically, also w/out expnses. Runners/agents/writers (all names for the same thing) got from 10-25%. Bigger operations had packages of runners or routes. This is say 5-6 guys in one neighborhood that were serviced by another runner, who acted more as a super agent, and he got a percentage on all his runners balances. The runners would turn the action over to the office, who would tally it up, and lay off what they didnt feel comfortable carrying. Most numbers were 600-1, but there were cut numbers like 500 or 999 or something common only got 400-1 or so. Just like a pick 3 u can box them as well. Back in the day, like 40-50s, u could bet a nickle. My dad calls it something funny i couldnt repeat on this board ha. Avg bet was a dollar or two a day. Big bets could be in the hundreds. Big lays went to the thousands. You could bet in credit, bet for the whole week, bet by the phone. Today they will do the state pick 3 even on sites iv seen. But THE number. The one everyone used is the handle (total wagers) for the day at a certain racetrack, i forget which days it goes around, like monmouth, or aquaduct, etc. They called it the brooklyn number actually. They used this exclusively in jersey from the 70s on. This was what they used in jacksonville, eastern virginia, delaware co penn.... Before brooklyn number they did like some total of different races for one number at a time. For an example, you gary went down to the corner and said to the bartender at wherever, give me 245 for a dollar, 690 for 2, and 410 for 5 all week. 8 dollars times 7 days a week is $56, what you owe him at the end of the week if nothing hits. Say on one day u hit 690. You would go down in a day or two and collect on your play. $2 x 600=1200 minus 54 dollars.... $1146 in ur pocket.

Territory was only carved up when one family controlled the entire neighborhood with a few crews. (westside manhattan, 1970s) As today runners/associates are the only territory these guys acknowledge.
D am skinny whats up with all that in your head ,but have seen u do worse...

Cackling like a banty Rooster.

I love this," "I just love this."
Re: Numbers racket [Re: GaryH] #731852
08/04/13 06:11 PM
08/04/13 06:11 PM
In a wide open city
Tony_Pro Offline
Capo
Tony_Pro  Offline
Capo
In a wide open city
*deleted*

haha, Skinny covered it all while I was posting.

Last edited by Tony_Pro; 08/04/13 06:14 PM.

This life of ours, this is a wonderful life. If you can get through life like this, hey, thats great. But it's very, very unpredictable. There are so many ways you can screw it up.-Paul Castellano (he would know)

"I'm not talking about Italians, I'm talking about criminals."-Joe Valachi
Re: Numbers racket [Re: GaryH] #731875
08/04/13 06:37 PM
08/04/13 06:37 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

A question for Skinny or others that would know. How much did the legal state lotto affect the numbers racket? You can still see examples of illegal numbers gambling busts, LCN-connected and otherwise, but it had to have some affect, did it not?

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Numbers racket [Re: GaryH] #731879
08/04/13 06:49 PM
08/04/13 06:49 PM
S
Skinny Offline
X
Skinny  Offline
X
S
Underboss
Yes of course it did, but not at the level of white flight and gentrification imo. it is more a blue collar persons game. It is huge in minority nhoods. There are more advantages playing the number.

I have mixed opinions on sports. Sports has always been a game for everyone, white and blue collar workers. Hispanic guys love soccer, black guys love boxing, dont get me started on the chinese. It crosses racial and economic barriers. I think legalization will hurt locals business but create more potential customers at the same time. The big problem is gonna be, just imo the middling by the sharper players between the state lines.

Re: Numbers racket [Re: Skinny] #731888
08/04/13 07:32 PM
08/04/13 07:32 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland

eek Jesus Skinny. Great info thanks for taking the time to post this.

Re: Numbers racket [Re: IvyLeague] #731936
08/04/13 10:30 PM
08/04/13 10:30 PM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
A question for Skinny or others that would know. How much did the legal state lotto affect the numbers racket? You can still see examples of illegal numbers gambling busts, LCN-connected and otherwise, but it had to have some affect, did it not?
My father and his brother had a nice size numbers book that operated both before and after the legalization of lottery in Pennsylvania.It took some of the "play every now and then" business away,but really didn't affect the regular business too much.
The main reasons were:
The state didn't allow you to run a tab on your bets.
You could still bet dimes and quarters if you wanted.
My uncle didn't collect tax on your winnings.
You could bet the same three digit number four different times each day if you wanted,ie.Old stock, New stock, Town race and ***race. (Sorry,the last one would narrow down both who and where I am,not a good thing to do on the Internet).

Re: Numbers racket [Re: Skinny] #731944
08/04/13 11:35 PM
08/04/13 11:35 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Yes of course it did, but not at the level of white flight and gentrification imo. it is more a blue collar persons game. It is huge in minority nhoods. There are more advantages playing the number.

I have mixed opinions on sports. Sports has always been a game for everyone, white and blue collar workers. Hispanic guys love soccer, black guys love boxing, dont get me started on the chinese. It crosses racial and economic barriers. I think legalization will hurt locals business but create more potential customers at the same time. The big problem is gonna be, just imo the middling by the sharper players between the state lines.

I know some New Jersey politicians have been trying to legalize sports betting but, so far at least, it seems the big 4 sports leagues and others have kept that from happening. Personally speaking, I'll believe it when I see it, whether in New York or New Jersey.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Numbers racket [Re: GaryH] #732048
08/05/13 02:35 PM
08/05/13 02:35 PM
Northumberland England
GaryH Offline OP
Underboss
GaryH  Offline OP
Underboss
Northumberland England
Thanks Skinny, the numbers racket was a bit more complicated than I thought!
I think Greg Scarpa started his kid off doing the numbers

Re: Numbers racket [Re: GaryH] #732049
08/05/13 02:39 PM
08/05/13 02:39 PM
Your Mom's House
Jimmy_Two_Times Offline
Underboss
Jimmy_Two_Times  Offline
Underboss
Your Mom's House
A wonderful post Skinny. Thanks for the detail and clarity.

Re: Numbers racket [Re: Lou_Para] #732076
08/05/13 04:47 PM
08/05/13 04:47 PM
S
strococs Offline
Capo
strococs  Offline
S
Capo
Originally Posted By: Lou_Para
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
My father and his brother had a nice size numbers book that operated both before and after the legalization of lottery in Pennsylvania.It took some of the "play every now and then" business away,but really didn't affect the regular business too much.
The main reasons were:
The state didn't allow you to run a tab on your bets.
You could still bet dimes and quarters if you wanted.
My uncle didn't collect tax on your winnings.
You could bet the same three digit number four different times each day if you wanted,ie.Old stock, New stock, Town race and ***race. (Sorry,the last one would narrow down both who and where I am,not a good thing to do on the Internet).

The other top reason people play the number on the street is. . It pays more then the state lottery. In Ohio the lottery pays 500 for a 1 dollar straight hit. While the street guys pay 600 to 1. You can bet .50 cents at least in Ohio. Basically the state stole the racket from the street guys. I know of one big numbers operation in Ohio. It works good if you have a access to a huge factory etc and poor neighborhoods.

Re: Numbers racket [Re: GaryH] #732080
08/05/13 04:49 PM
08/05/13 04:49 PM
S
strococs Offline
Capo
strococs  Offline
S
Capo
http://www.lotterypost.com/news/72481

Here is a article about a numbers racket back in 03. Ran by Virgil Ogletree. A black street guy. Who had ties to some Cleveland mobsters back in the day then trusted a half ass wiseguy who was a fbi informant.

Re: Numbers racket [Re: GaryH] #732126
08/05/13 09:09 PM
08/05/13 09:09 PM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
I'm sure you guys have heard of the infamous 666 lottery fix here in PA. I remember my uncle said he got a call from his guy,and he told my dad that Tony Grosso (the main numbers guy in Western PA at the time) said not to pay off on any 666 bets. Had Nick Perry and his crew not been so stupid and greedy,they could have picked up about a million dollars on legal state Lottery bets,but they got nuts and tried to play both legally and with the street books.If you don't know the 666 story,check it out. The method they used to pull it off was ingenious,but they wound up getting caught.

On the subject of better odds paid by the street bookies,it's generally true,however,some numbers that receive heavy play (like trips,especially 7's) are called "cut" numbers. We used to pay 400 to 1 on cut numbers,but the upside for the player is that when the State shuts off sales of numbers like 777 three hours before the drawing,the bookies will still take your action until about 15 minutes before.

Re: Numbers racket [Re: Lou_Para] #732165
08/06/13 02:49 AM
08/06/13 02:49 AM
S
strococs Offline
Capo
strococs  Offline
S
Capo
I'm sure you guys have heard of the infamous 666 lottery fix here in PA. I remember my uncle said he got a call from his guy,and he told my dad that Tony Grosso (the main numbers guy in Western PA at the time) said not to pay off on any 666 bets. Had Nick Perry and his crew not been so stupid and greedy,they could have picked up about a million dollars on legal state Lottery bets,but they got nuts and tried to play both legally and with the street books.If you don't know the 666 story,check it out. The method they used to pull it off was ingenious,but they wound up getting caught.

On the subject of better odds paid by the street bookies,it's generally true,however,some numbers that receive heavy play (like trips,especially 7's) are called "cut" numbers. We used to pay 400 to 1 on cut numbers,but the upside for the player is that when the State shuts off sales of numbers like 777 three hours before the drawing,the bookies will still take your action until about 15 minutes before.

They do not cut numbers in the people I used to bet it with.

Re: Numbers racket [Re: Lou_Para] #732173
08/06/13 07:18 AM
08/06/13 07:18 AM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo

Never heard of the triple six fix. Amazing. Thanks for the info.Here is wikipedia's info on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Pennsylvania_Lottery_scandal

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull