GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Mafia101), 385 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,982
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,354
Posts1,059,104
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Capone and the Chicago Outfit #731407
08/02/13 03:14 AM
08/02/13 03:14 AM
T
theamericangangsters Offline OP
Wiseguy
theamericangangsters  Offline OP
T
Wiseguy
I am a new member of only a few weeks but I am curious to a few things. I am not from Chicago nor have I ever been there but to me it seems like every one is so obsess with the Outfit and how many made men are in it. Why is that? Base on my knowledge what made these families so great in the days was that no one knew the numbers and that was a strength in its self. Next is as we all know when you think of the Outfit Capone comes to mind. I always wonder why Capone over shadows Johnny Torrio. Torrio left Capone the Outfit am I right? He also was a huge influence with Luciano as well. Why doesnt Torrio ever get a mention? He to me was a huge influence on the Mafia. Like I said I am new and just curious to this.

Re: Capone and the Chicago Outfit [Re: theamericangangsters] #731410
08/02/13 03:43 AM
08/02/13 03:43 AM
Stockholm
G
goldhawkroad Offline
Made Member
goldhawkroad  Offline
G
Made Member
Stockholm
Torrio is by every serious crime historian reckognized as one of the greatest masterminds in the history of the underworld. So no, I wouldnt say hes overlooked.

Perhaps his later history (1925-57) is a bit marginalized, but in general he is very well "known".

Re: Capone and the Chicago Outfit [Re: goldhawkroad] #731412
08/02/13 03:56 AM
08/02/13 03:56 AM
T
theamericangangsters Offline OP
Wiseguy
theamericangangsters  Offline OP
T
Wiseguy
I agree with you Goldhawkroad I meant buy non historians people in general who just know the Capone name the way baseball fans know the Yankees. Where is Torrio credit?

Re: Capone and the Chicago Outfit [Re: theamericangangsters] #731417
08/02/13 04:56 AM
08/02/13 04:56 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
In almost every book, or story, on Capone (and there are many) Torrio is mentioned.

[Linked Image]
Re: Capone and the Chicago Outfit [Re: theamericangangsters] #731419
08/02/13 06:52 AM
08/02/13 06:52 AM
Stockholm
G
goldhawkroad Offline
Made Member
goldhawkroad  Offline
G
Made Member
Stockholm
Theamericangangster: why is Gotti more known to the public than the Chin? Why do people think of Joe instead of Larry (the latter one clearly the brainier) when they hear the name "Gallo "? Why is Al Capone more known to the public than Johnny Torrio?

Because these people were extrovert, larger than life caracters with flamboyant lifestyles that made them famous in all kinds of levels in society. For example, I think all of them at some point were in Life Magazine, the Gallos even having a few of their boys posing on a street corner.

Nobody knows Torrio today, probably just as he wanted it. He was all business. Just look at the terrible casting regarding him in Boardwalk Empire. Nobody knows him, but people with knowledge knows how to credit him right: a criminal mastermind who laid the foundation for Al Capone.

Re: Capone and the Chicago Outfit [Re: theamericangangsters] #731452
08/02/13 11:10 AM
08/02/13 11:10 AM
J
jonnynonos Offline
Underboss
jonnynonos  Offline
J
Underboss
Probably a combination of a few things. The Outfit under Capone was probably too successful for its own good; as prohibition went on after Torrio got out the Outfit became a ludicrously large, wealthy and consequently more visible organization... I imagine Capone just got far more press, for one, that Torrio ever did. He also essentially saw it through to the end (or at least his end), whereas Torrio abdicated.

Secondly Capone just looked the part, which probably resulted in a lot of the press coverage too. He was a big fatso in expensive clothes with a cigar always hanging out of his mouth; it probably sold papers.

But realistically, I think the simple answer is just that Torrio left before the whole thing kind of spun out of control in terms of size, press, etc.

Re: Capone and the Chicago Outfit [Re: theamericangangsters] #731457
08/02/13 11:47 AM
08/02/13 11:47 AM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
With Capone it was recommended that he become friendlier to the press. Before that he didn't give interviews and he complained about it. After that he not only gave interviews but did certain things for PR, like creating the first soup kitchen. As for living large, it was common for wealthy gangsters to dress better. Nothing unusual about that.

Torrio left after he was shot, and I'm sure his wife had the most influence on him leaving. He and Anna were very close and after he left Chicago they traveled around the world. As for his influence on Lucky Luciano, the only source for that is the book "The Last Testament of Lucky Luciano." I went through great lengths to show that book is a hoax and nothing in it is credible.

Re: Capone and the Chicago Outfit [Re: theamericangangsters] #731560
08/03/13 03:30 AM
08/03/13 03:30 AM
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline
T
Underboss
new jersey
Its established torrio was close to the genovese bosses, to what extent who knows, and capone had thoughts of controlling the media and having them work for him, he found out latet the media can't be controlled, when he git out of prison he went back to keeping his mouth shut

"McGurn likes you, so I make you. So you are now one of us, if you fuck up, we take it out on McGurn. He is your sponsor. Fuck up, it's his ass. You work in his crew, he is your capo."
Re: Capone and the Chicago Outfit [Re: theamericangangsters] #731563
08/03/13 04:05 AM
08/03/13 04:05 AM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
Who established that Torrio was close to the Genovese bosses?

Re: Capone and the Chicago Outfit [Re: theamericangangsters] #731564
08/03/13 04:33 AM
08/03/13 04:33 AM
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline
T
Underboss
new jersey
He was, after his retirement he went to new york and advised the genovese, every story I read about him says that, don't try to re create the wheel here

"McGurn likes you, so I make you. So you are now one of us, if you fuck up, we take it out on McGurn. He is your sponsor. Fuck up, it's his ass. You work in his crew, he is your capo."
Re: Capone and the Chicago Outfit [Re: HairyKnuckles] #731565
08/03/13 05:50 AM
08/03/13 05:50 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
In almost every book, or story, on Capone (and there are many) Torrio is mentioned.
Very helpfull information lol

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good
Re: Capone and the Chicago Outfit [Re: thebigfella] #731589
08/03/13 01:40 PM
08/03/13 01:40 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
Originally Posted By: thebigfella
He was, after his retirement he went to new york and advised the genovese, every story I read about him says that, don't try to re create the wheel here

That's the point. One book copies another book, and that book copies another book. If the books are inaccurate they recreated the wheel. Are you more interested in what really happened or in what books made up?

Re: Capone and the Chicago Outfit [Re: theamericangangsters] #731592
08/03/13 01:53 PM
08/03/13 01:53 PM
M
mulberry Offline
Underboss
mulberry  Offline
M
Underboss
There is no proof that Torrio was an advisor to the Genovese. I'm sure some gangsters talked to him once in a while when he returned to NY, but to call him an advisor may be reading too much into it. At that time, the Genovese were flush with strong leaders like Vito Genovese, Luciano, Costello, Adonis, Moretti, Alo and others. Why would they need Torrio? The story doesn't add up.

Re: Capone and the Chicago Outfit [Re: theamericangangsters] #731596
08/03/13 02:05 PM
08/03/13 02:05 PM
Stockholm
G
goldhawkroad Offline
Made Member
goldhawkroad  Offline
G
Made Member
Stockholm
Agree that its not confirmed what role Torrio did play after his return to Brooklyn. But at the same time, you cant say 100 percent he was retired either. Thats why I said "perhaps marginalized" during these years.

Likely, he was some kind of senior adviser at least. Or maybe he was so much more.

Re: Capone and the Chicago Outfit [Re: mulberry] #731607
08/03/13 03:48 PM
08/03/13 03:48 PM
H
ht2 Offline
Capo
ht2  Offline
H
Capo
Originally Posted By: mulberry
There is no proof that Torrio was an advisor to the Genovese. I'm sure some gangsters talked to him once in a while when he returned to NY, but to call him an advisor may be reading too much into it. At that time, the Genovese were flush with strong leaders like Vito Genovese, Luciano, Costello, Adonis, Moretti, Alo and others. Why would they need Torrio? The story doesn't add up.

At Kefauver Hearings:
Mr. Halley. Did you know Johnny Torrio ?
Mr. Costello. I met him once or twice.
Mr. Halley. Let me read you your conversation with Agent Sullivan in 1938
Q. Did you have any conversations with Torrio during the years 1932, 1933, and 1934?
A. 1932, 1933, and 1934?
Q. Yes, or 1935?
A. I don't believe I saw Torrio three times in the last 7 years. I don't believe I have seen Torrio in the last 3 or 4 years.
I might have had some conversation with Torrio, met him casually.

-----

At these hearings there was a tendency to deny or understate any associations. He probably
had a few business dealings and maybe not an advisory role. Torrio seems to have retired after a stint in prison around 1941.

Last edited by ht2; 08/03/13 03:50 PM.
Re: Capone and the Chicago Outfit [Re: theamericangangsters] #731623
08/03/13 04:40 PM
08/03/13 04:40 PM
J
jonnynonos Offline
Underboss
jonnynonos  Offline
J
Underboss
I don't know much about it, but it would hardly make sense for him to quit Chicago out of a sense of self preservation only to go back to the same life in NY. Not like they didn't have guns out there.

Re: Capone and the Chicago Outfit [Re: Faithful1] #731693
08/04/13 12:15 AM
08/04/13 12:15 AM
In a wide open city
Tony_Pro Offline
Capo
Tony_Pro  Offline
Capo
In a wide open city
Originally Posted By: Faithful1
As for his influence on Lucky Luciano, the only source for that is the book "The Last Testament of Lucky Luciano." I went through great lengths to show that book is a hoax and nothing in it is credible.

I've always taken that book with the lightest grain of salt and having very transparent personal motivations, but are you saying it was a complete hoax without any input from Luciano at all?

I think you've said before that you've published, is there anywhere I can read up on this? I'd be interested on what you've found.

This life of ours, this is a wonderful life. If you can get through life like this, hey, thats great. But it's very, very unpredictable. There are so many ways you can screw it up.-Paul Castellano (he would know)

"I'm not talking about Italians, I'm talking about criminals."-Joe Valachi
Re: Capone and the Chicago Outfit [Re: Toodoped] #731704
08/04/13 03:31 AM
08/04/13 03:31 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Originally Posted By: Toodoped

Toddo, you missed the point...again. My point is that in almost any book (if not all indeed) where Al Capone´s life story is covered, Torrio is mentioned as the criminal mastermind he was. So Torrio IS given credit. That´s what I wanted to point out. Do you understand now?

[Linked Image]
Re: Capone and the Chicago Outfit [Re: HairyKnuckles] #731764
08/04/13 12:29 PM
08/04/13 12:29 PM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground

Toddo, you missed the point...again. My point is that in almost any book (if not all indeed) where Al Capone´s life story is covered, Torrio is mentioned as the criminal mastermind he was. So Torrio IS given credit. That´s what I wanted to point out. Do you understand now?

No need to explain your self to me,wheres your self esteem?Yes we all know that Torrio is mentioned in every book,mostly general stuff,but not much of some inside infos on him cuz he was low key persona.The point was,by looking that geek smiley on your signature,we expected something more,maybe prefer a book or something,or an fbi file with some inside info on Johnny? smile.Do YOU understand now?...and again...very helpful info lol

Re: Capone and the Chicago Outfit [Re: Toodoped] #731771
08/04/13 01:20 PM
08/04/13 01:20 PM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)

No need to explain your self to me,wheres your self esteem?Yes we all know that Torrio is mentioned in every book,mostly general stuff,but not much of some inside infos on him cuz he was low key persona.The point was,by looking that geek smiley on your signature,we expected something more,maybe prefer a book or something,or an fbi file with some inside info on Johnny? smile.Do YOU understand now?...and again...very helpful info lol

If you would have read this thread from the top, you would have understood what my point was. No need for you to post an unnecessary and somewhat stupid hit and run comment. Or perhaps you did read it from the top but somehow the point escaped you. I don´t know. For your information, there are files on Torrio, there are old articles and newspaper clippings you can look up. If you are that interested, they are not hard to find, if you know where to look.

You seems to be obseessed with the smiley in my signature. Let me remind you that it is just a smiley. Nothing more, nothing less. There is really no need for you to jump up and down over it every time you see it. And believe me, I didn´t put it there for your excitement.

With that being said, I must ask you something. I´m not saying you do, so don´t get me wrong...but do you have a fucking cucumber up your ass? Or what is it that makes you so grouchy every time I post something?

[Linked Image]
Re: Capone and the Chicago Outfit [Re: HairyKnuckles] #731774
08/04/13 01:34 PM
08/04/13 01:34 PM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground

If you would have read this thread from the top, you would have understood what my point was. No need for you to post an unnecessary and somewhat stupid hit and run comment. Or perhaps you did read it from the top but somehow the point escaped you. I don´t know. For your information, there are files on Torrio, there are old articles and newspaper clippings you can look up. If you are that interested, they are not hard to find, if you know where to look.

You seems to be obseessed with the smiley in my signature. Let me remind you that it is just a smiley. Nothing more, nothing less. There is really no need for you to jump up and down over it every time you see it. And believe me, I didn´t put it there for your excitement.

With that being said, I must ask you something. I´m not saying you do, so don´t get me wrong...but do you have a fucking cucumber up your ass? Or what is it that makes you so grouchy every time I post something?

Wow wow why flaming like this?Cucumber up my ass?Really dude?How old are you?50 right!?And whos grouchy about the smiley?Thats lame,i feel sorry for you,cheer up.I know your alone and have no1 around you,so why pickin up fights ova here?Why not make friends?As for the flaming thing ill let SC to handle that one.Back on topic......soooo as a "mob geek",most of your infos come from news paper clippings? whistle lol

Re: Capone and the Chicago Outfit [Re: Toodoped] #731778
08/04/13 01:41 PM
08/04/13 01:41 PM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
(Yawn) Whatever dude.

[Linked Image]
Re: Capone and the Chicago Outfit [Re: HairyKnuckles] #731779
08/04/13 01:42 PM
08/04/13 01:42 PM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
(Yawn) Whatever dude.

"YAWN"????? lol lol lol

Re: Capone and the Chicago Outfit [Re: Tony_Pro] #731811
08/04/13 03:56 PM
08/04/13 03:56 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
Originally Posted By: Tony_Pro
As for his influence on Lucky Luciano, the only source for that is the book "The Last Testament of Lucky Luciano." I went through great lengths to show that book is a hoax and nothing in it is credible.

I've always taken that book with the lightest grain of salt and having very transparent personal motivations, but are you saying it was a complete hoax without any input from Luciano at all?

I think you've said before that you've published, is there anywhere I can read up on this? I'd be interested on what you've found.

http://informer-journal.blogspot.com/2012_04_21_archive.html

Re: Capone and the Chicago Outfit [Re: Faithful1] #731865
08/04/13 06:25 PM
08/04/13 06:25 PM
In a wide open city
Tony_Pro Offline
Capo
Tony_Pro  Offline
Capo
In a wide open city
Originally Posted By: Tony_Pro

http://informer-journal.blogspot.com/2012_04_21_archive.html

thanks Faithful.

This life of ours, this is a wonderful life. If you can get through life like this, hey, thats great. But it's very, very unpredictable. There are so many ways you can screw it up.-Paul Castellano (he would know)

"I'm not talking about Italians, I'm talking about criminals."-Joe Valachi

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull