GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 304 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,583
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,057
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,515
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,364
Posts1,059,421
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Why Didn't Costello Retaliate Against Genovese? #729690
07/25/13 08:06 PM
07/25/13 08:06 PM
Iceman999 Offline OP
Capo
Iceman999  Offline OP
Capo
This is something I never quite understood, why didn't Costello, a man who, by all accounts, had a lot of people in his pocket, not retaliate against Genovese for attempting to have him killed? Was his position as boss that weak? Did he just not have the stomach for war? What gives?

Re: Why Didn't Costello Retaliate Against Genovese? [Re: Iceman999] #729702
07/25/13 08:35 PM
07/25/13 08:35 PM
New Jersey
Dellacroce Offline
Underboss
Dellacroce  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
After the assination attempt vito genevese had a "family meeting" where all the captains, except one who was later killed, pledged their allegiance to genevese. Also costellos biggest ally on the commision,anastasia was killed and replaced by carlo gambino who was an ally of genevese. So i guess he didnt have the support to remain boss. Imo he probly was happier retiring to florida where he kept his gambling rackets rather then start a war.

"Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a poor man, and I've been a rich man. And I choose rich every fucking time."

-Jordan Belfort
Re: Why Didn't Costello Retaliate Against Genovese? [Re: Dellacroce] #729704
07/25/13 08:42 PM
07/25/13 08:42 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Originally Posted By: Dellacroce
After the assination attempt vito genevese had a "family meeting" where all the captains, except one who was later killed, pledged their allegiance to genevese. Also costellos biggest ally on the commision,anastasia was killed and replaced by carlo gambino who was an ally of genevese. So i guess he didnt have the support to remain boss. Imo he probly was happier retiring to florida where he kept his gambling rackets rather then start a war.

It seems as if Costello wasn't as popular within certain parts of his own family as he was with others. Some say he relied on Willie Morreti for protection within his own family and Anastasia outside, especially when he became boss. I have read in certain places though that Luchesse was the main conspirator with Genovese rather than Gambino, no idea if it's true though.

Re: Why Didn't Costello Retaliate Against Genovese? [Re: Camarel] #729707
07/25/13 08:51 PM
07/25/13 08:51 PM
New Jersey
Dellacroce Offline
Underboss
Dellacroce  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Camarel

It seems as if Costello wasn't as popular within certain parts of his own family as he was with others. Some say he relied on Willie Morreti for protection within his own family and Anastasia outside, especially when he became boss. I have read in certain places though that Luchesse was the main conspirator with Genovese rather than Gambino, no idea if it's true though.

Ya i didnt mean to imply that gambino conspired with genevese, just that he was more likely to side with genevese over costello. And besides moretti costello also relied on joe adonis too until he was deported.

"Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a poor man, and I've been a rich man. And I choose rich every fucking time."

-Jordan Belfort
Re: Why Didn't Costello Retaliate Against Genovese? [Re: Iceman999] #729708
07/25/13 08:57 PM
07/25/13 08:57 PM
Illinois
F_white Offline
Underboss
F_white  Offline
Underboss
Illinois
He lost his muscle first with Willie and Anastasia being hit next.Vito line up all the capos to support him and with lucky deport Frank back was against the wall.No Support to fight a war.

From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn.

Re: Why Didn't Costello Retaliate Against Genovese? [Re: Dellacroce] #729710
07/25/13 09:10 PM
07/25/13 09:10 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland

Ya i didnt mean to imply that gambino conspired with genevese, just that he was more likely to side with genevese over costello. And besides moretti costello also relied on joe adonis too until he was deported.

I know you weren't, i only quoted your comment because i agreed with most of it and didn't have much to add.

Re: Why Didn't Costello Retaliate Against Genovese? [Re: F_white] #729713
07/25/13 09:12 PM
07/25/13 09:12 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Also, Costello's agreement to testify before the Kefauver subcommittee in 1951 (his testimony was televised, with only his hands showing) brought him a lot of government scrutiny. He served prison terms for three convictions in the Fifties, and I have to believe that they took a lot out of him. He was hankering for respectability, and I suppose he just didn't think the fight was worth it anymore.

Joe Bonanno's autobiography, "A Man of Honor" [sic], provides a very good description of the Commission meeting in which Costello accused Genovese and Tommy Lucchese of plotting against him.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Why Didn't Costello Retaliate Against Genovese? [Re: Camarel] #729823
07/26/13 05:03 AM
07/26/13 05:03 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)

Totally agree with these two posts. Costello had lost all support when Genovese took over. Lucchese being a wheeler and dealer is hugely underated by most of us. Evidence support Lucchese being behind and in the shadows of many things that occured in the late 1950s/early 1960s. He desired Costello´s power, position and influence with the NY politicians and judges. He used a number of people to get what he wanted; Genovese, Gambino and Magaddino all did his bidding in one form or another. And as TB stated, Lucchese´s conniving may have started during a Commission meeting where he was accused of wanting Costello dead.

[Linked Image]
Re: Why Didn't Costello Retaliate Against Genovese? [Re: HairyKnuckles] #729879
07/26/13 11:36 AM
07/26/13 11:36 AM
ATL
SilentPartnerz Offline
Capo
SilentPartnerz  Offline
Capo
ATL
Agree 100% with your assessment of Tommy Lucchese. His power is overlooked. His alliance with Carlo Gambino made them both the top bosses in the country. IMO.

"Three can keep a secret..if two are dead."
Calogero Minacore
Re: Why Didn't Costello Retaliate Against Genovese? [Re: Iceman999] #729891
07/26/13 12:16 PM
07/26/13 12:16 PM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
I agree in that TL was stronger than many give him credit for. I still say he is overlooked in his smarts and "playing the game" with Gambino and others too.

On Costello I agree with Turnbull, I think he didn't have the fight in him or he decided it was better to run off and live off the gambling money than it was to die.

Re: Why Didn't Costello Retaliate Against Genovese? [Re: HairyKnuckles] #729892
07/26/13 12:31 PM
07/26/13 12:31 PM
H
ht2 Offline
Capo
ht2  Offline
H
Capo
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Totally agree with these two posts. Costello had lost all support when Genovese took over. Lucchese being a wheeler and dealer is hugely underated by most of us. Evidence support Lucchese being behind and in the shadows of many things that occured in the late 1950s/early 1960s. He desired Costello´s power, position and influence with the NY politicians and judges. He used a number of people to get what he wanted; Genovese, Gambino and Magaddino all did his bidding in one form or another. And as TB stated, Lucchese´s conniving may have started during a Commission meeting where he was accused of wanting Costello dead.

Agree on Lucchese being underrated. Just one correction, at a Commission meeting, Costello uncovered a plot by Lucchese to kill Anastasia, not himself.

On Costello, a comparison might be made with Paul Castellano. Both men had a reputation for being more white collar. As underboss, Vito rallied support with blue collar faction.

Re: Why Didn't Costello Retaliate Against Genovese? [Re: ht2] #729901
07/26/13 01:00 PM
07/26/13 01:00 PM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Originally Posted By: ht2
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Just one correction, at a Commission meeting, Costello uncovered a plot by Lucchese to kill Anastasia, not himself.

Yes you are right. I stand corrected. (Haven´t read the Bonanno book for quite some time.)

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull