GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, 1 invisible), 318 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,491
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,925
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,334
Posts1,058,827
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
No Star of David on Holocaust Memorial? #728971
07/23/13 05:58 PM
07/23/13 05:58 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline OP
IvyLeague  Offline OP
I

Atheist Group Calls for Removal of Star of David from Ohio Holocaust Memorial
By Sterling Beard
July 22, 2013

An atheist group is agitating for the removal of the Star of David from a Holocaust memorial at the Ohio state house, reports the Columbus Dispatch.

The Freedom from Religion Foundation (FFRF) objects to the memorial’s inclusion of the Jewish symbol on the grounds that “permitting one permanent sectarian and exclusionary religious symbol . . . would create the legal precedent, for instance, to place an equally large or larger permanent Latin cross on Capitol grounds.”

In a letter to former Ohio state senator Richard Finan, chairman of the board that oversees the capitol’s grounds, FFRF suggests that “the monument could resemble numerous powerful war memorials across the U.S. which do not use any sectarian images, including the national World War II Memorial, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial and the Korean War Veterans Memorial. Each is secular in nature and without religious reference, which offends no one and is respected by all.”

The lack of religious imagery on those monuments “neither diminishes their significance nor detracts from the respect and honor shown for the victims of those conflicts,” they argue.

The inclusion of the Star of David, FRFF explains in a press release, excludes 5 million victims of the Holocaust who were members of other persecuted groups, such as “gays, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Roma Gypsies, the disabled and many others.”

Allowing the Star of David on the state-house monument, they contend, would “dishonor the truest protection our country has against a similar Holocaust on our shores: the precious constitutional principle separating religion from government.”

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/354...-sterling-beard

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: No Star of David on Holocaust Memorial? [Re: IvyLeague] #728979
07/23/13 06:09 PM
07/23/13 06:09 PM
Bamboo Lounge
NickyEyes1 Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
NickyEyes1  Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
Underboss
Bamboo Lounge
Atheists just need to fuck off. First saying holiday instead of Christmas, the making government building get rid of Nativity scenes, and now this. The holocaust affected people who were Jewish. Why would the Star of David not be on there? All atheists do is whine.

Re: No Star of David on Holocaust Memorial? [Re: NickyEyes1] #728986
07/23/13 06:16 PM
07/23/13 06:16 PM
New Jersey
Five_Felonies Offline
Underboss
Five_Felonies  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
Originally Posted By: NickyEyes1
Atheists just need to fuck off. First saying holiday instead of Christmas

i don't think you understand sir. in a perfect utopia, nobody needs to feel out of place. saying merry christmas may make those who don't celebrate it feel uncomfortable, so we have to find a way to accommodate everyone. the only problem with that line of reasoning is that its impossible to do while maintaining anything resembling a free society, but that should just be overlooked as we become more progressive.

Last edited by Five_Felonies; 07/23/13 06:40 PM.

It's either blue cheese with wings or go fuck yer mudda!
Re: No Star of David on Holocaust Memorial? [Re: IvyLeague] #729009
07/23/13 07:15 PM
07/23/13 07:15 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Before all of you junior crusaders get your panties in a wad, there's not much basis to the suit, and it is from a fringe group. While religious imagery (including crucifixes, Star of David) is essentially inappropriate constitutionally in government and other public places, there is considerable authority and precedent allowing it to remain when it is embodied in a display that advances or represents a nonreligious purpose. Here the memorial represents an event in history where the Jewish symbol is necessarily entertwined with the historical event.

Now Christmas and Hannukah displays are a different story. The Star of David or a Nativity are in this context constitute explicitly religious expressions, and courts have properly held that they do not belong in government buildings, parks, etc. However, decorated trees, wreaths, and menorahs have been found to have seasonal and cultural meanings beyond the religious context, and therefore these displays have been found to be acceptable decorations for the season.

Anyone who wants the nativity, you can display it freely on your property or church all year round.

Re: No Star of David on Holocaust Memorial? [Re: klydon1] #729014
07/23/13 07:19 PM
07/23/13 07:19 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: klydon1
Before all of you junior crusaders get your panties in a wad, there's not much basis to the suit, and it is from a fringe group. While religious imagery (including crucifixes, Star of David) is essentially inappropriate constitutionally in government and other public places, there is considerable authority and precedent allowing it to remain when it is embodied in a display that advances or represents a nonreligious purpose.

Excellent Kly. Also, I refer Board members to Van Orden v. Perry and McCreary County v. American Civil Liberties union. These SCOTUS opinions compare and contrast much of what Kly has eloquently stated above.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: No Star of David on Holocaust Memorial? [Re: IvyLeague] #729022
07/23/13 07:33 PM
07/23/13 07:33 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
Just leave the star of David where it is. Like Kly said, it serves a historical purpose

"Don't ever go against the family again. Ever"- Michael Corleone
Re: No Star of David on Holocaust Memorial? [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #729056
07/23/13 09:08 PM
07/23/13 09:08 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Well said, Kly. clap

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: No Star of David on Holocaust Memorial? [Re: IvyLeague] #729059
07/23/13 09:16 PM
07/23/13 09:16 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Klyd, always a gentleman and a scholar.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: No Star of David on Holocaust Memorial? [Re: klydon1] #729062
07/23/13 09:24 PM
07/23/13 09:24 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline OP
IvyLeague  Offline OP
I

Originally Posted By: klydon1
Before all of you junior crusaders get your panties in a wad, there's not much basis to the suit, and it is from a fringe group.

As time goes by, these types and their views become less and less "fringe." People thinking they have a right to be "free from religion" is certainly more widespread nowadays.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 07/23/13 09:51 PM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: No Star of David on Holocaust Memorial? [Re: IvyLeague] #729067
07/23/13 09:36 PM
07/23/13 09:36 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
Ivy this is a punk ass atheist group. I'm agnostic and struggle with religion but these guys are about as threatening as the Easter Bunny. There's not much cause to worry

Re: No Star of David on Holocaust Memorial? [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #729074
07/23/13 09:50 PM
07/23/13 09:50 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline OP
IvyLeague  Offline OP
I

Originally Posted By: 123JoeSchmo
Ivy this is a punk ass atheist group. I'm agnostic and struggle with religion but these guys are about as threatening as the Easter Bunny. There's not much cause to worry

I've always had a soft spot for agnostics. They at least have some humility. You don't hear of many militant agnostic groups. wink

Re: No Star of David on Holocaust Memorial? [Re: IvyLeague] #729077
07/23/13 10:01 PM
07/23/13 10:01 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Originally Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

I've always had a soft spot for agnostics. They at least have some humility. You don't hear of many militant agnostic groups. wink

Lol yeah. I'll be the first one to admit I'm skeptical of religion but I won't rule it out either

Re: No Star of David on Holocaust Memorial? [Re: IvyLeague] #729084
07/23/13 10:18 PM
07/23/13 10:18 PM
So-Cal
vinnietoothpicks26 Offline
BANNED
vinnietoothpicks26  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
So-Cal
This is a disgrace. A small group? I dont know. I am never suprised anymore by the amount of nut jobs in this country.

Frank Costello: Fucking rats. It's wearing me thin. Mr. French: Francis, it's a nation of fucking rats.
Re: No Star of David on Holocaust Memorial? [Re: IvyLeague] #729096
07/23/13 10:37 PM
07/23/13 10:37 PM
Midwest
LittleNicky Offline
Underboss
LittleNicky  Offline
Underboss
Midwest
Freedom from Religion Foundation has actually won quite a few lawsuits for a supposed fringe group. I think they are actually mainstream leftists perfectly in line with the party that tried to take god and israeli's status out of the party platform.

Should probably ask Mr. Kierney. I guess if you're Italian, you should be in prison.
I've read the RICO Act, and I can tell you it's more appropriate...
for some of those guys over in Washington than it is for me or any of my fellas here
Re: No Star of David on Holocaust Memorial? [Re: LittleNicky] #729104
07/23/13 10:56 PM
07/23/13 10:56 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline OP
IvyLeague  Offline OP
I

Originally Posted By: LittleNicky
Freedom from Religion Foundation has actually won quite a few lawsuits for a supposed fringe group. I think they are actually mainstream leftists perfectly in line with the party that tried to take god and israeli's status out of the party platform.

That's pretty much it. Their approach is, "Don't worry, nothing to see here. We're harmless. (see klydon's post). Meanwhile, they slowly work at marginalizing religion in this country more and more.

Re: No Star of David on Holocaust Memorial? [Re: IvyLeague] #729391
07/24/13 09:35 PM
07/24/13 09:35 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Can I ask a sincere question? Why does atheism bother you? I mean, if you have your faith, nobody can take it from you. If your faith is true, nobody can change your mind. Why does someone else's bother you?

Personally, I disagree with this group. I think they're just plain stupid and silly, but what impact can they have on my faith? They can't take it from me.

Re: No Star of David on Holocaust Memorial? [Re: IvyLeague] #729393
07/24/13 09:43 PM
07/24/13 09:43 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Yes SB, oh so true. I think "faith" can be a threatening thing to those who don't have it. Can we define faith? It is somewhat ambiguous and personal. For me it is comforting and that is a hard thing to define.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: No Star of David on Holocaust Memorial? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #729420
07/24/13 11:22 PM
07/24/13 11:22 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline OP
IvyLeague  Offline OP
I

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Can I ask a sincere question? Why does atheism bother you? I mean, if you have your faith, nobody can take it from you. If your faith is true, nobody can change your mind. Why does someone else's bother you?

Personally, I disagree with this group. I think they're just plain stupid and silly, but what impact can they have on my faith? They can't take it from me.

In a personal sense I simply find them annoying. Their inherent arrogance, as well as them spending so much time and energy fighting against something they profess to not even believe in. In another sense, I think these types are a sign of what is to come in terms of religion becoming more marginalized in our society. They may seem extreme even to you right now. But their views could very well be mainstream and widely accepted in another generation.

Re: No Star of David on Holocaust Memorial? [Re: IvyLeague] #729898
07/26/13 12:51 PM
07/26/13 12:51 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel

In a personal sense I simply find them annoying. Their inherent arrogance, as well as them spending so much time and energy fighting against something they profess to not even believe in. In another sense, I think these types are a sign of what is to come in terms of religion becoming more marginalized in our society. They may seem extreme even to you right now. But their views could very well be mainstream and widely accepted in another generation.

Personally I find hard core aethiests and hard core religious people equally annoying. Anyone who is vociferous about the existence of a Supreme Being hasn't thought it through. There could be a God and there could not be a God, I am not amart enough to say. I have my own beliefs, but they are mine, and I have no desire to fost them on anyone else. And whatever some group of fringe religious zealots or anti religious zealots do is not going to afftect what I believe to be true.

I'll tell you one thing, however, God is not some old white guy with a beard who lives in the sky.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: No Star of David on Holocaust Memorial? [Re: dontomasso] #730001
07/26/13 06:44 PM
07/26/13 06:44 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline OP
IvyLeague  Offline OP
I

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Personally I find hard core aethiests and hard core religious people equally annoying. Anyone who is vociferous about the existence of a Supreme Being hasn't thought it through. There could be a God and there could not be a God, I am not amart enough to say. I have my own beliefs, but they are mine, and I have no desire to fost them on anyone else. And whatever some group of fringe religious zealots or anti religious zealots do is not going to afftect what I believe to be true.

I'll tell you one thing, however, God is not some old white guy with a beard who lives in the sky.

"The nonspeculative nature of the Christian faith makes it unpalatable to many whose lives are thoroughly grounded in philosophical conjecture."

Last edited by IvyLeague; 07/26/13 06:45 PM.

Re: No Star of David on Holocaust Memorial? [Re: dontomasso] #730013
07/26/13 07:15 PM
07/26/13 07:15 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
Originally Posted By: dontomasso

+1 DT

Re: No Star of David on Holocaust Memorial? [Re: NickyEyes1] #730660
07/29/13 01:25 PM
07/29/13 01:25 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: NickyEyes1
Atheists just need to fuck off.

How would you react if I said that about followers of your religion? And how would the moderators of this board react?

(Oh, that atheist group, of course, is crazy.)

Re: No Star of David on Holocaust Memorial? [Re: Danito] #730695
07/29/13 04:52 PM
07/29/13 04:52 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
First of all, I really dislike Atheists who complain about others faith. This is supposed to be a monument reflecting those who lost their live's in the Holocaust, and most were of Jewish faith.

This group of Atheists are just like those who push their religion on others. This is pretty much why I don't care about religion. There is to much hate, and it shouldn't be like that.

Re: No Star of David on Holocaust Memorial? [Re: IvyLeague] #730939
07/30/13 02:46 PM
07/30/13 02:46 PM
Eastern Europe
S
Slava Offline
Button
Slava  Offline
S
Button
Eastern Europe
Quote:
The inclusion of the Star of David, FRFF explains in a press release, excludes 5 million victims of the Holocaust who were members of other persecuted groups, such as “gays, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Roma Gypsies, the disabled and many others.”

The term "Holocaust" includes only the Jewish victims (6 million Jews), this term never included anyone else. So it's only right that a Jewish symbol is on a Jewish memorial. Jews are an ethno-religious group so it's logical that their symbol has some religious connotations, but as many Jews became non-religious in the last few decades and still identify with their Jewish identity, one could call it a symbol of the Jewish people as such, regardless of what they believe in now. After all, it's on the Israeli flag. I mean, that's like complaining that the 'double cross' on Hungarian and Slovak coat of arms is 'sectarian' and 'exclusionary' religious symbol, because it originates from 12th century Christian Hungarian Kingdom. One can't simply erase centuries of history and tradition just because he doesn't like what his ancestors believed in.

Anyway, I do believe that non-Jewish victims of the Nazi agression in Europe are often neglected. But this is a subject for some other discussion and it's quite complex. The fact is that the term 'holocaust' (or 'shoah') is reserved for Jewish victims only. This atheist group obviously doesn't know much about WWII history/is not interested in it (otherwise they would be familiar with the basic terminology), they just want to create noise. It's very unjust to use something like a memorial for innocent victims to promote your own ideology, but that's how these groups operate.

Last edited by Slava; 07/30/13 02:50 PM.
Re: No Star of David on Holocaust Memorial? [Re: IvyLeague] #730979
07/30/13 07:26 PM
07/30/13 07:26 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Slava, excellent post. You summed it up perfectly.

Re: No Star of David on Holocaust Memorial? [Re: IvyLeague] #734097
08/13/13 04:40 AM
08/13/13 04:40 AM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA

It's a valid point that a lot of people miss. It's called incrementalism. Incrementalism is not new and it has already changed how we interpret the 1st amendment since at least 1947 in the Everson decision.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull