GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Ben54), 270 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,322
Posts1,058,594
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
what is the use of a consigliere? #719326
06/07/13 06:09 PM
06/07/13 06:09 PM
M
mulberry Offline OP
Underboss
mulberry  Offline OP
M
Underboss
Does any boss really take advice from his consigliere anymore? Back in the old days, you had wise olders guys like Accardo, Joe N Gallo, Piney Armone, Tommy DiBella and Paul Ricca as consigliere, which made sense. They had been made for decades and were in semi-retirement and respected by most of the family. Recently, guys like Gravano, who was only 41 when he was made consigliere. The Luccheses had Casso and then Frank Papagni, who was 36 years old. These were all greedy, impulsive, hotheads who were quick to pull the trigger.

Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: mulberry] #719328
06/07/13 06:36 PM
06/07/13 06:36 PM
In exile watching star wars an...
S
Skinny Offline
X
Skinny  Offline
X
S
Underboss
To solve sit downs. Never heard of the advice shit

Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: Skinny] #719362
06/08/13 03:38 AM
06/08/13 03:38 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Yeah. Skinny is correct. The consigliere´s main duties was (it´s been watered down the last 20 or so years it seems) to protect the interests of the members of a Family. He was a counselor to ALL members but the boss and because of his position within a Family (he was supposed to be elected to the position by the members) he was often used to solve sitdowns between captains. I´ve said this thousands of times on here. I´ll say it again; he was not an advisor to the boss. Think about it for a while, what boss would allow himself to be manipulated by taking advice from a powerful figure within his Family?

The consigliere giving the boss advice in different matters may be one of the greatest myths of the American Mafia. It probably originated from Mario Puzo´s works.

[Linked Image]
Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: HairyKnuckles] #719399
06/08/13 04:34 PM
06/08/13 04:34 PM
Benny_Eggs Offline
Button
Benny_Eggs  Offline
Button
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
Think about it for a while, what boss would allow himself to be manipulated by taking advice from a powerful figure within his Family?

Vic Amuso lol

Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: mulberry] #719454
06/09/13 01:58 AM
06/09/13 01:58 AM
M
mulberry Offline OP
Underboss
mulberry  Offline OP
M
Underboss
i've never heard of consigliere resolving sit downs. don't they go to the boss for that? what if the boss doesn't agree with the consigliere's decision?

Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: mulberry] #719462
06/09/13 02:45 AM
06/09/13 02:45 AM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
Part of the confusion comes from the fact that consigliere translates into counselor or advisor and people assumed that it means "to the Boss". The way I understand it,because of numerous abuses by Bosses from the Mustache Pete days,the Organization thought it would be wise to have a person who would serve as sort of a court of appeal for the rank and file guys.

Since the Underboss isn't going to make waves,and no Capo would have the authority,(or the stones) to challenge a Boss's decision to whack one of his guys on a whim,the consigliere is supposed to serve as a check and balance against that sort of thing.

Like a lot of Mob policies,it's not 100%,but generally,the spot goes to someone who is seen as level-headed,and loyal to the Family,not necessarily the individual Boss.

Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: Lou_Para] #719464
06/09/13 03:05 AM
06/09/13 03:05 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Originally Posted By: Benny_Eggs
Think about it for a while, what boss would allow himself to be manipulated by taking advice from a powerful figure within his Family?

Vic Amuso lol

You´ve got a point, Benny! lol

Originally Posted By: mulberry
i've never heard of consigliere resolving sit downs. don't they go to the boss for that? what if the boss doesn't agree with the consigliere's decision?

If a sitdown can´t be resolved by the consigliere, the matter is brought in front of the boss.

If two connected guys who are on the record with made guys have a beef, the sitdown will be between the two soldiers they are connected to. If the matter can´t be resolved, it will be brought to the captains. If two soldiers have a beef, their captains will sit down. If the matter can´t be resolved by the captains, the consigliere will sit down. If two captains have a beef, the matter will be brought in front of the consigliere. Usually the consigliere has enough juice to resolve the matter, if not, the matter will be brought in front of the boss (or underboss who acts for the boss).

This is how it was suppose to be anyway, according to tradition.

Originally Posted By: Lou_Para
Part of the confusion comes from the fact that consigliere translates into counselor or advisor and people assumed that it means "to the Boss". The way I understand it,because of numerous abuses by Bosses from the Mustache Pete days,the Organization thought it would be wise to have a person who would serve as sort of a court of appeal for the rank and file guys.

Since the Underboss isn't going to make waves,and no Capo would have the authority,(or the stones) to challenge a Boss's decision to whack one of his guys on a whim,the consigliere is supposed to serve as a check and balance against that sort of thing.

Like a lot of Mob policies,it's not 100%,but generally,the spot goes to someone who is seen as level-headed,and loyal to the Family,not necessarily the individual Boss.

Very good post. Spot on. And keep in mind that the captains are handpicked by the boss and can be reomoved by him at will. So they are basically dependent on him. The consigliere however, is elected to the position by the members, hence the authority within the Family.

Last edited by HairyKnuckles; 06/09/13 03:41 AM.

[Linked Image]
Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: HairyKnuckles] #719489
06/09/13 12:21 PM
06/09/13 12:21 PM
G
GaryMartin Offline
Underboss
GaryMartin  Offline
G
Underboss
Also, could the role of the consigliere vary from organization to organization? New York may operate in a different manner than Chicago or Tampa, etc. And the strength or power of the individual could possibly play a role. Some may be more respected than others and have more influence, and some may have stronger personalities.

Something to think about.

Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: mulberry] #719493
06/09/13 12:52 PM
06/09/13 12:52 PM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Rumours go that the position was invented by Luciano.Luciano, in an attempt to establish peace within the organization,knew most trouble started with underlings trying to get ahead.He ordered each crime family to establish the a consigliere,a neutral middleman who would settle disputes within the family and act as a negotiator with the other families in disputes such as over territories.The consigliere would act as a hearing officer,one who would have to clear any plan to knock off a Mafia member.He could also forbid a hit if necessary.This was to give the lower rank members a sense of protection from the unjust acts of a family boss or any of his capos.A consigliere will not go against the edicts of a boss or other superior.To do so would be a death wish for the consigliere. Even in those cases when a consigliere is allowed to rule on a matter with no interference from above, his decision may end up ignored.
As Hairy said its more glamorous in books and movies, the consigliere job is most likely a dead end job.

Last edited by Toodoped; 06/09/13 12:56 PM.

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good
Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: mulberry] #719494
06/09/13 01:01 PM
06/09/13 01:01 PM
A
azguy Offline
Underboss
azguy  Offline
A
Underboss
I read somewhere that the Consigliere was voted on by the captains back in the day and he was responsible for not only internal disputes but issues with the other families as well.

"In onore della Famiglia la Famiglia e' aperta"
Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: azguy] #719496
06/09/13 01:05 PM
06/09/13 01:05 PM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Originally Posted By: azguy
I read somewhere that the Consigliere was voted on by the captains back in the day and he was responsible for not only internal disputes but issues with the other families as well.

Exactly. When people think of Consigliere they think of silvo's big dumb face

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #720008
06/11/13 11:17 PM
06/11/13 11:17 PM
C
cookcounty Offline
Underboss
cookcounty  Offline
C
Underboss
Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti
Originally Posted By: azguy

Exactly. When people think of Consigliere they think of silvo's big dumb face

I think of paul ricca and tony accardo when I think of consigliere

probably the best tandem in mob history

Last edited by cookcounty; 06/11/13 11:18 PM.
Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: Skinny] #720345
06/14/13 12:03 AM
06/14/13 12:03 AM
M
mulberry Offline OP
Underboss
mulberry  Offline OP
M
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Skinny
To solve sit downs. Never heard of the advice shit

Maybe Phil Leonetti doesn't know what he's talking about because he says the consigliere's job is to give advice to the boss. Then again, he was only the underboss of Philly. What does he know?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwD-r1sPa3g

forward to 6:22

Last edited by mulberry; 06/14/13 12:05 AM.
Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: mulberry] #720346
06/14/13 12:16 AM
06/14/13 12:16 AM
S
Skinny Offline
X
Skinny  Offline
X
S
Underboss
Think it is kinda obvious philly and chicago are different from ny. If you were so certain of your answer why the fuck did u ask the question? Consiglieris arent tom haggens. U think jimmy ida told chin how to run his family? Well then again ur probly one of the fuckin retards that believes ida was ever even the consiglieri. Mulberry street my dick, go pass off some more of that lame ass inside info u got u fucking google gangster. Cant stand this fucking shit

Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: Skinny] #720351
06/14/13 12:47 AM
06/14/13 12:47 AM
M
mulberry Offline OP
Underboss
mulberry  Offline OP
M
Underboss
Think it is kinda obvious philly and chicago are different from ny. If you were so certain of your answer why the fuck did u ask the question? Consiglieris arent tom haggens. U think jimmy ida told chin how to run his family? Well then again ur probly one of the fuckin retards that believes ida was ever even the consiglieri. Mulberry street my dick, go pass off some more of that lame ass inside info u got u fucking google gangster. Cant stand this fucking shit

Giving advice and giving orders are different. Look it up in the dictionary.

advice: Opinion about what could or should be done about a situation or problem; counsel

order: Give an authoritative direction or instruction to do something

You have a comprehension problem. Go read my original question. You're just throwing a temper tantrum because you were embarrassed. Grow up.

Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: Skinny] #720352
06/14/13 02:03 AM
06/14/13 02:03 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
If you were so certain of your answer why the fuck did u ask the question? Consiglieris arent tom haggens. U think jimmy ida told chin how to run his family? Well then again ur probly one of the fuckin retards that believes ida was ever even the consiglieri. Mulberry street my dick, go pass off some more of that lame ass inside info u got u fucking google gangster. Cant stand this fucking shit

Skinny, check the tough guy attitude at the door when you come here and stop flaming.

Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: SC] #720354
06/14/13 02:14 AM
06/14/13 02:14 AM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Originally Posted By: SC
If you were so certain of your answer why the fuck did u ask the question? Consiglieris arent tom haggens. U think jimmy ida told chin how to run his family? Well then again ur probly one of the fuckin retards that believes ida was ever even the consiglieri. Mulberry street my dick, go pass off some more of that lame ass inside info u got u fucking google gangster. Cant stand this fucking shit

Skinny, check the tough guy attitude at the door when you come here and stop flaming.

Yeah everyone needs to take a deep breath! Whats up SC you chillin like a villain

Genovese Family."
Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: mulberry] #720357
06/14/13 02:49 AM
06/14/13 02:49 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)

advice: Opinion about what could or should be done about a situation or problem; counsel

You have a comprehension problem. Go read my original question. You're just throwing a temper tantrum because you were embarrassed. Grow up.

Leonetti´s description is probably out of convenience. In that section, he says what people want to hear. You should take most mob documentaries with a grain of salt because they are produced for the masses and very often a simplified version of the truth so the viewers can understand its contents. I have yet to see a fully truthful mob documentary somebody can learn from.

Mully, what good is giving the boss advice if the boss don´t listen? If he starts to listen, he will then get manipulated into doing things he may not want to do and by that, will loose authority which is a boss´s worst nightmare.

Toddo, Luciano did not invent the consigliere position. Masseria had Sam Pollaccia in that position long before Luciano took over.

[Linked Image]
Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: HairyKnuckles] #720358
06/14/13 02:54 AM
06/14/13 02:54 AM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club

Carmine "Lilo" Galante was the man

Leonetti´s description is probably out of convenience. In that section, he says what people want to hear. You should take most mob documentaries with a grain of salt because they are produced for the masses and very often a simplified version of the truth so the viewers can understand its contents. I have yet to see a fully truthful mob documentary somebody can learn from.

Mully, what good is giving the boss advice if the boss don´t listen? If he starts to listen, he will then get manipulated into doing things he may not want to do and by that, will loose authority which is a boss´s worst nightmare.

Toddo, Luciano did not invent the consigliere position. Masseria had Sam Pollaccia in that position long before Luciano took over.

Genovese Family."
Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: HairyKnuckles] #720368
06/14/13 05:28 AM
06/14/13 05:28 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground

I like the way you say things like thouse are the REAL fact.You should start learnin the word "RUMOUR" or "MAYBE",it's very useful belive me.Pollacia didn't necessarily have to be a member of Masseria's Family.He had ties with D'Aquilla and could have been the leader of the faction of that family that stayed loyal to Joe the Boss.I know youre goin to say that the feds translation of Gentiles manuscript says that he was Masseria's consigliere, but im not sure this means the position of consigliere.He was also questioned about the Masseria hit because there are some RUMOURS that Masseria was lunching that day with Pollaccia,who by that time maybe he might have risen as underboss.It might be that Pollaccia was just a trusted member...but who knows...

Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: mulberry] #720369
06/14/13 05:35 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Ida, like Manna before him, is a good example of what's been the real role of a consigliere; at least in more modern times. It's not really an older, semi-retired guy giving advice to the boss. Nor is it even really a guy voted on by captains who presides at all sit downs. It seems the boss pretty much chooses whomever he wants for the position, and the title notwithstanding, they continue to be directly involved in running a crew or faction of the family. To put it simply, functionally they are more like a captain but hold a formal position in the administration.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: Toodoped] #720370
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Originally Posted By: Toodoped

I like the way you say things like thouse are the REAL fact.You should start learnin the word "RUMOUR" or "MAYBE",it's very useful belive me.Pollacia didn't necessarily have to be a member of Masseria's Family.He had ties with D'Aquilla and could have been the leader of the faction of that family that stayed loyal to Joe the Boss.I know youre goin to say that the feds translation of Gentiles manuscript says that he was Masseria's consigliere, but im not sure this means the position of consigliere.He was also questioned about the Masseria hit because there are some RUMOURS that Masseria was lunching that day with Pollaccia,who by that time maybe he might have risen as underboss.It might be that Pollaccia was just a trusted member...but who knows...

Gentile knew.

[Linked Image]
Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: HairyKnuckles] #720372
06/14/13 05:40 AM
06/14/13 05:40 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground

Gentile knew.

and.... You cool

Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: IvyLeague] #720373
06/14/13 05:50 AM
06/14/13 05:50 AM
C
cookcounty Offline
Underboss
cookcounty  Offline
C
Underboss
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Ida, like Manna before him, is a good example of what's been the real role of a consigliere; at least in more modern times. It's not really an older, semi-retired guy giving advice to the boss. Nor is it even really a guy voted on by captains who presides at all sit downs. It seems the boss pretty much chooses whomever he wants for the position, and the title notwithstanding, they continue to be directly involved in running a crew or faction of the family. To put it simply, functionally they are more like a captain but hold a formal position in the administration.

sometimes advisors call the show

a consigliere can have as much power as they're willing to go for

it's just a title

Last edited by cookcounty; 06/14/13 05:50 AM.
Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: Toodoped] #720375
06/14/13 05:52 AM
06/14/13 05:52 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)

Gentile knew.

and.... You cool

And now, you too. cool

[Linked Image]
Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: HairyKnuckles] #720380
06/14/13 08:37 AM
06/14/13 08:37 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Gentile knew.

and.... You cool [/quote]

And now, you too. cool [/quote]

Now you r actin like a kid,i though we had a civil conversation....for shame,commin from a 40 year ol........guy cry ...... lol

EDIT: And stop callin ppl by your very stupid style of givin names....you can read right?type our nicknames like the way they r.peace

Last edited by Toodoped; 06/14/13 12:59 PM.

Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: IvyLeague] #720427
06/14/13 12:55 PM
06/14/13 12:55 PM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague

Im with it... nice post

Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: mulberry] #720474
06/14/13 03:57 PM
06/14/13 03:57 PM
Friend_of_Henry Offline
Underboss
Friend_of_Henry  Offline
Underboss
Just wondering: Do any of you have first hand knowledge or personal experience with whom would be considered a Consigliere?

"Never walk in a room that you don't know how to get out of"- Henry Zottola
Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: Toodoped] #720558
06/15/13 12:59 PM
06/15/13 12:59 PM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)

Now you r actin like a kid,i though we had a civil conversation....for shame,commin from a 40 year ol........guy cry ...... lol

EDIT: And stop callin ppl by your very stupid style of givin names....you can read right?type our nicknames like the way they r.peace

Toddo, if you can find any other source with insight on Pollaccia´s position within the Masseria Family other than Gentile, be my guest. Until then relax buddy and enjoy this forum like all the rest of us. If you find my way of nicknaming other posters on here upsetting, you need to loosen up. Don´t be so obtuse!

[Linked Image]
Re: what is the use of a consigliere? [Re: HairyKnuckles] #720581
06/15/13 07:06 PM
06/15/13 07:06 PM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground

Toddo, if you can find any other source with insight on Pollaccia´s position within the Masseria Family other than Gentile, be my guest. Until then relax buddy and enjoy this forum like all the rest of us. If you find my way of nicknaming other posters on here upsetting, you need to loosen up. Don´t be so obtuse!

LIsten here pal,im not your friend so stop callin me "Toddo",you HairyPussy,half of the ppl here dont like you,even on the other forums as well so....pls change your act and start havin respect for ppl around here,if not...you know...get the fuck out!!cheers cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull