GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (RushStreet, 1 invisible), 195 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,933
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,339
Posts1,058,917
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
James "Whitey" Bulger Trial #718622
06/03/13 08:37 PM
06/03/13 08:37 PM
W
Wilson101 Offline OP
Underboss
Wilson101  Offline OP
W
Underboss
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/03/murder-trial-reputed-mob-boss-whitey-bulger-to-begin-in-boston/

Trial is starting and their will be a special tonight (June 3) at 10pm on Investigation Discovery channel.

One of, if not the most shrewd and Machiavellian minds in the history of organized crime. A very interesting man.

Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Wilson101] #718625
06/03/13 08:41 PM
06/03/13 08:41 PM
W
Wilson101 Offline OP
Underboss
Wilson101  Offline OP
W
Underboss
BOSTON – James "Whitey" Bulger is no longer the feared man who swaggered around South Boston and later became one of the nation's most-wanted fugitives.
At 83, the bright platinum hair that earned Bulger his nickname is all but gone and his reputed status as the leader of a violent gang has passed.
But as Bulger's long-awaited trial gets underway, it's clear that the passage of time has done little to diminish Boston's fascination with Bulger.
"He's a survivor. He's had a very long shelf life in a profession where that is not typical," said Dick Lehr, who has co-written two books about Bulger, including the biography "Whitey: The Life of America's Most Notorious Mob Boss."
"The many faces of Whitey make him intriguing," Lehr said.
Those faces include his early image as a modern-day Robin Hood and harmless tough guy who gave turkey dinners to his working-class neighbors at Thanksgiving and kept drug dealers out of the neighborhood. That image was crushed when authorities began digging up bodies.
Bulger would eventually be charged with playing a role in 19 murders but fled in late 1994 after former FBI Agent John Connolly Jr. tipped him off that he was about to be indicted. He remained a fugitive for more than 16 years before finally being captured in Santa Monica, Calif., in 2011.
Bulger's trial, set to begin this week with jury selection, promises to have all the glamour and gore of a TV mob drama. Prosecutors plan to call a collection of infamous mob figures, including Bulger's former partner, Stephen "The Rifleman" Flemmi, who is now serving a life sentence for 10 murders and admitted pulling the teeth out of some of the gang's victims, including his own girlfriend.
Former hit man John Martorano, who admitted killing 20 people, will also take the stand, as will Kevin Weeks, a former Bulger lieutenant who eventually led authorities to half a dozen bodies.
Bulger's lawyers have made it clear that they will attack the credibility of men they describe as "once-reviled criminal defendants" whom prosecutors have eagerly transformed into "loyal government witnesses."
"The government now offers these men as witnesses against James Bulger with no apparent regard for their complete lack of credibility," attorneys J.W. Carney Jr. and Hank Brennan wrote in a recent court filing.
Bulger, who grew up in a South Boston housing project, earned his first arrests as a juvenile and went on to serve time in Alcatraz and other federal prisons for bank robberies. He became one of the most notorious criminals in Boston, while his younger brother, William Bulger, became one of the most powerful politicians in Massachusetts, leading the state Senate for 17 years. William Bulger is expected to attend his brother's trial.
"If you go back to his childhood, he was nothing more than an incorrigible juvenile who was destined to go on to live a life of criminality, and that's exactly what he did," said Tom Duffy, a retired state police major who was one of the lead Bulger investigators.
Bulger, an inspiration for the 2006 Martin Scorsese film, "The Departed," headed the Winter Hill Gang, a largely Irish gang that ran loan-sharking, gambling and drug rackets.
"I think his basic credo was to live your life in a Machiavellian way. As a result of that, he put a great emphasis on intimidation and deception. He was a master at deception," Duffy said.
After Bulger went on the run, the public learned that he had been working as an FBI informant for years, providing information on the New England Mob — his gang's main rivals — even while he was committing a long list of his own crimes, including murder, prosecutors say.
The revelations of the corrupt relationship embarrassed the FBI and led to Connolly being convicted of racketeering.
Law enforcement officials who felt thwarted for years as they investigated Bulger say the trial may give them a long overdue sense of justice.
"We were frustrated because he was being protected by the FBI, but we didn't know to what extent," said retired state police Detective Lt. Bob Long, who investigated Bulger in the '70s and '80s.
Bulger's lawyers planned to use an immunity defense at his trial, arguing that federal prosecutor Jeremiah O'Sullivan, now deceased, granted Bulger immunity from prosecution for his crimes.
But Judge Denise Casper rejected that request, finding that any purported immunity agreement is "not a defense to the crimes charged."
Bulger's lawyers have also denied that he was an FBI informant. They've said Bulger will take the witness stand to testify in his own defense.
The defense is sure to emphasize for the jury how Martorano, Weeks and Flemmi all struck deals with prosecutors for reduced sentences in exchange for their cooperation. The defense has also indicated it plans to emphasize that Justice Department lawyers depicted the men as unreliable while defending lawsuits accusing the FBI of facilitating Bulger's crimes, but they are now using them as their star witnesses against Bulger.
"Mr. Bulger believes that he will have a fair trial if he is able to present the whole truth concerning his relationship with the Department of Justice and FBI, including that he was never an informant," Carney said in an email.
Prosecutors declined to comment before Bulger's trial.
For some of the victims' families, the trial is a chance to get answers.
Billy O'Brien was born four days after his father, William O'Brien, was gunned down in March 1973. Authorities say Bulger and his gang killed O'Brien and 10 others in a dispute with members of a rival group.
O'Brien never got to meet his father, but growing up in South Boston, he would see Bulger around the neighborhood.
"You'd have all this crazy stuff that runs through your head. You're seeing someone that's responsible for killing your father. You have all these things that come to you that you want to say, but I'm a kid then. What was I going to do?" O'Brien said.
"I want to know the reason why my father was killed," he said.
"I'm still looking for that to this day."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/03/mur.../#ixzz2VCgiwfY2

Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Wilson101] #718709
06/04/13 11:30 AM
06/04/13 11:30 AM
A
azguy Offline
Underboss
azguy  Offline
A
Underboss
It'll be epic, maybe the organized trial of the century, an interesting witness list and whitey himself on the stand.

Can't wait !!

"In onore della Famiglia la Famiglia e' aperta"
Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Wilson101] #718827
06/04/13 06:50 PM
06/04/13 06:50 PM
W
Wilson101 Offline OP
Underboss
Wilson101  Offline OP
W
Underboss
James “Whitey” Bulger, the notorious Boston gangster accused of committing 19 murders, came face to face today with potential jurors in his trial, some of whom may eventually cast a vote to determine his fate.

“This is our client, James Bulger,” defense attorney J.W. Carney Jr. said, introducing Bulger to 225 prospective jurors this morning in US District Court in Boston.
“Good morning,” said the fit-looking 83-year-old Bulger, who was dressed in jeans, a long-sleeved navy jersey, white sneakers, a khaki-navy-striped belt, and wire-rimmed glasses.

The routine was the same this afternoon with another group of 225 prospective jurors. This time, Bulger said, “Good afternoon.”

A third batch of jurors is expected at the courthouse Wednesday. The selection of 18 impartial jurors from the pool of 675 is the first challenge in what is expected to be a lengthy, complex trial.

Bulger faces a federal racketeering indictment that alleges that he ran a criminal enterprise from 1972 to 2000. During his fearsome reign in Boston’s underworld, Bulger killed 19 people; extorted money from drug dealers, bookmakers, and businessmen; corrupted FBI and other law enforcement officials; laundered illegal profits; and stockpiled an arsenal of weapons, prosecutors allege.

“Both parties have the right to a jury that is fair and impartial, one that is not biased or partial one way or another. That is, both parties are entitled to a jury that does not have its mind made up one way or another,” US District Judge Denise J. Casper told the first batch of potential jurors this morning.

“The jury selection process that we are about to begin is to ensure fairness and impartiality at all ends,” Casper said.

Casper urged the jurors not to watch media coverage of the case, or to discuss it with anyone, and told them that they should make their decisions solely on the evidence presented to them in court. She told them the trial is expected to begin Monday and last to the end of September.

The jurors, after both the morning and afternoon sessions, were allowed to leave after filling out questionnaires. Casper emphasized that they should fill them out truthfully.

Defense lawyers, prosecutors, and Bulger went back into the courtroom after the morning session to continue battling over pretrial motions; they’re expected to continue to discuss pretrial motions at another hearing on Wednesday.

Bulger’s story took a twist when it was revealed that the gangster from South Boston had been an FBI informant from 1975 to 1990.

In 1995, Bulger fled the Boston area, tipped off by a corrupt FBI agent about an initial indictment. He remained on the lam for 16 years as the revelations emerged about his informant status and his closest associates turned on him, becoming government witnesses and implicating him in numerous slayings.

His story, which also included the parallel rise of his brother, William M. Bulger to be a powerful president of the Massachusetts Senate, has fascinated the public and inspired books and movies.

He was captured in June 2011 in Santa Monica, Calif., where he was living a modest life with his long-time girlfriend, Catherine Greig — and a large stockpile of cash and guns, authorities said.

Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Wilson101] #718852
06/04/13 08:59 PM
06/04/13 08:59 PM
boston/north end
Joerusso Offline
consigleire
Joerusso  Offline
consigleire
Underboss
boston/north end
its rats after rats after rats he brings jerry and the anguilo's down dennis lepore granito old man zannino and the rest of the strong holders at the time a big blow for what a big nothing ...jerry and the rest of the crew wouldve still been investigated dont get me wrong and did little to no time but this fuckin guy puts a shotgun hole in the family ...yea we had capable people of keeping it strong but what he did was start a trend not only that he made button guys believe the hope is over gave them desparity made them feel weak in a sense esp how jr took helm and the war in late 80's into the 90's with the salemme regime and all that its unbelievable what he started and the inpact not on his victims but on my fathers whole generation and whole era he literally put a shotgun hole in it

raymond l.s.patrairca sr to u.s. state committee- " if i didnt have my case coming up ill to come back in here with two gentlemen and when this is over with and really lay down the law, yous guys been giving me nothing but alot of hookwhick and i wish i wasnt on trial and have this case and really tell the united states whats going on "
Jerry Anguilo on wartime with winter hill - " If we got to war we got Joe Russo and the maverick boys so we have nothing to worry about they can go to vietnam and come back untouched "
Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Wilson101] #718891
06/04/13 10:57 PM
06/04/13 10:57 PM
W
Wilson101 Offline OP
Underboss
Wilson101  Offline OP
W
Underboss
I dunno joe rousso. I don't condone what he did and I have personally spent time in state prison because of an informant, but at the end of the day crime is crime. It took me a long time to realize that in the underworld there is no honor, no loyalty, and they are all just jackals. Pure survival of the fittest. Look at the mafia you speak of, rules right? That's why you set your best friend up and then bury him in a ditch right? For the greater good of a secret society and the rules right? Well the rules were broken before they were made. We're talking about a world of crime and deceit and are we supposed to be surprised at someone's treachery?
I agree with you whitey was a rat and he destroyed a culture possibly, but in the underworld all bets or off. It is a total free for all, especially back in those days with how wide open everything was. He had the FBI under HIS controll too, do you think John Connolly leaned on him for information? Haha I seriously doubt it. In a world full of crime and scum and deceit he owned a whole city from pretty much the early 70s until 95 and then instead of getting clipped, begging the Feds for a reduced sentence in exchange for giving up the world, or rotting in jail, he goes on the run successfully for 16 years. I really can't think of anyone else who had a run like him honestly. Maybe kinda the chin but he didn't last as long and certainly didn't enjoy 16 years of retirement in San Diego.

Just to be clear I am def not condoning what this man did. I am actually almost off parole after giving up almost 4 years of my life to the state of NJ, all due to some animal who could not take a half ounce of coke on the chin. (He probably would have got probation but fuck me right). All I'm saying is bulger is a criminal genius and had one hell of a run. Shit, flemmi coulda ran too and he supposedly told weeks to "put it all on him" which weeks did and got off light.

Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Wilson101] #719032
06/05/13 09:49 PM
06/05/13 09:49 PM
W
Wilson101 Offline OP
Underboss
Wilson101  Offline OP
W
Underboss
By Milton J. Valencia, Shelley Murphy and John R. Ellement, Globe Staff

James “Whitey” Bulger, the notorious Boston gangster who allegedly rampaged through Boston’s underworld for decades, is trying to exclude veteran Boston Globe columnist Kevin Cullen and reporter Shelley Murphy from covering his much-anticipated trial simply because he hates them, a federal prosecutor said today.

Assistant US Attorney Brian T. Kelly told a federal judge that the 83-year-old Bulger can be heard on jailhouse tape recordings describing his loathing for Cullen and Murphy, who recently published a book that chronicles Bulger’s career as a vicious criminal who worked as an informant for the FBI.

“It’s all over jailhouse tapes. He hates certain members of the media, including Murphy, Cullen and Howie Carr. Especially Howie Carr,’’ Kelly said, referring to Boston Herald columnist and talk show host Howie Carr. “He is trying to use this as a tool to kick out people the defendant doesn't like.’’

Kelly disclosed the information about the recorded conversations in a US District Court hearing as pretrial sparring continued before Judge Denise J. Casper, who is presiding over the Bulger trial and must decide whether to effectively ban the journalists because Bulger has put them on his witness list.

Prosecutors say Bulger is a vicious gangster. He is facing a 32-count federal racketeering indictment that alleges he participated in 19 murders in the 1970s and 1980s; extorted drug dealers, bookmakers, and businessmen; laundered his criminal profits through real estate transactions; and illegally stockpiled guns. His story, which has inspired a number of books and movies, took an additional twist after revelations in the 1990s that he had been working as an FBI informant during his reign of terror and after he successfully eluded a worldwide manhunt for years.

Bulger defense attorney J.W. Carney Jr. told Casper that he might call Cullen and Murphy as defense witnesses to impeach the testimony of prosecution witnesses Kevin Weeks, Stephen Rakes, and former State Police colonel Thomas J. Foley.

As such, Carney said, both Cullen and Murphy should be sequestered, and not allowed to cover the trial, nor should they be exposed to any media coverage of the trial.

“Let the record reflect I subscribe to The Boston Globe but that won’t prevent me from making any arguments,” Carney said to laughter from some in the courtroom, but not Bulger, who sat with his arms crossed, showing no obvious emotion.

Cullen and Murphy, who have covered the Bulger saga for the Globe for years, recently published “Whitey Bulger: America’s Most Wanted Gangster And The Manhunt That Brought Him to Justice.’’

“They are listed as witnesses, they are expected to be called as witnesses, and that’s the reason that the order of sequestration should apply to them,” Carney said.

Bulger has also asked that Carr and former Globe reporters Dick Lehr and Gerard O’Neill be sequestered as defense witnesses. Lehr and O’Neill covered Bulger while at the Globe and have authored books on him.

The Boston Globe, through attorney Jonathan Albano, urged Casper to reject Bulger’s request.

“The court should not be in the business of deciding which reporters will be allowed in and which should remain outside” Albano told Casper. “This isn’t about The Boston Globe’s rights. The individual journalists have rights.’’

Albano also said other journalists have interviewed the three men, not just Cullen and Murphy.

“They aren’t the only reporters who have talked to the government and other witnesses in the case,” Albano said. “That list is far and wide”

Casper took the matter under advisement.

Also today, the judge said she had increased the total number of people being screened for service as jurors to 775, up by about 100 people.

She said she expected to have attorneys give their opening statements next Wednesday, June 12.

Earlier today, a third batch of 225 jurors appeared in the Boston courthouse for the second day of jury selection in the Bulger trial.

Accompanied by his attorneys, Carney and Henry Brennan, the 83-year-old Bulger appeared to be wearing the same clothes as Tuesday -- white sneakers, jeans, and a long-sleeved dark shirt.

Casper, who is presiding over the historic trial, told the third pool of jurors the same thing she told two other pools on Tuesday.

“Both parties are entitled to a jury that is fair and impartial, one with no bias and no prejudice,” Casper said. “The jury is essential to the administration of justice under our system of law in the United States.”

Carney introduced Bulger to the prospective jurors, who will fill out a detailed questionnaire that marks the beginning of the winnowing process needed to select 12 jurors and six alternates for the one of the most closely watched trials in recent Massachusetts history.

Casper, prosecutors from US Attorney Carmen Ortiz’s office and Bulger’s lawyers will review the questionnaires from the large jury pool for the trial, which Casper said today will begin in earnest next week, and will last into September.

The jury will sit from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday, and from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Thursdays.

Bulger was captured in Santa Monica, Calif., in June 2011 after more than 16 years on the run. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges and is being held without bail.

At the heart of the prosecution’s case is the allegation that Bulger, described by the FBI as a long-time informant, was protected from prosecution by corrupt FBI agents who took bribes and leaked information to him and fellow gangster and informant Stephen “The Rifleman” Flemmi that led them to kill people.

Bulger’s lawyers insist that Bulger was never an informant and that his lengthy FBI file is filled with information concocted by John J. Connolly Jr., the disgraced — and convicted — former agent listed as his handler.

Milton J. Valencia can be reached at mvalencia@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @miltonvalencia. Shelley Murphy can be reached at shmurphy@globe.com. John R. Ellement can be reached at ellement@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @JREbosglobe.

Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Wilson101] #719218
06/06/13 09:28 PM
06/06/13 09:28 PM
boston/north end
Joerusso Offline
consigleire
Joerusso  Offline
consigleire
Underboss
boston/north end
Vegas your right i agree his run like no other very few if any hsd a run like he did after he took down anguilo he had a nice piece of the city thats for sure but not the whole thing he didnt have that much power but he did have a great way of manipultion in all fashion his fbi connections was one in a million so his reign of terror was unique and i too is under a big situation because of a rat and my family father and uncle in particular are effected by RATS in their time so i felt the wrath of a rat/informant but yea i agree strongly with whitey stronghold on his empire was like no other the way he manipulated and schemed his life of crime was picture perfect

raymond l.s.patrairca sr to u.s. state committee- " if i didnt have my case coming up ill to come back in here with two gentlemen and when this is over with and really lay down the law, yous guys been giving me nothing but alot of hookwhick and i wish i wasnt on trial and have this case and really tell the united states whats going on "
Jerry Anguilo on wartime with winter hill - " If we got to war we got Joe Russo and the maverick boys so we have nothing to worry about they can go to vietnam and come back untouched "
Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Wilson101] #719344
06/07/13 10:13 PM
06/07/13 10:13 PM
W
Wilson101 Offline OP
Underboss
Wilson101  Offline OP
W
Underboss
(CNN) -- Reputed Boston mob boss and longtime fugitive James "Whitey" Bulger is the defendant in a sensational murder and racketeering trial, but proceedings Friday in federal court had one prosecutor choking up with emotion while defending the work of another law enforcement officer.
And that moment came before a jury has even been seated.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Fred Wyshak choked up during arguments in the case as he defended one of his main investigators, Massachusetts Lt. Steve Johnson.
Wyshak was responding to a defense claim that one of the key witnesses in the case may have been involved in further criminal activity since his release from federal prison in 2007, and that a member of the Massachusetts State Police claimed the investigation into that defense witness' activities was compromised.
In court, Bulger attorney Henry Brennan said the state trooper who complained felt "undermined by one of his superiors, Steve Johnson." Brennan says the trooper was "not only undermined....so discontent he made complaints."
The defense witness, John Mortorano, has admitted he killed 20 people as part of Bulger's criminal organization that ruled south Boston for decades. He was released as part of a plea deal in exchange for his testimony.
Wyshak acknowledged in court that the Massachusetts state police investigated claims from "sources" that Mortorano was again involved in criminal activity after he was freed. Wyshak said the investigation included "numerous interviews" and that the "allegations were unfounded," calling the accusations "a lot of smoke."
Wyshak said the information was turned over to the defense in May.
What apparently wasn't turned over was an additional internal state police investigation into Johnson's handling of the case.
Wyshak, addressing U.S. District Court Judge Denise Casper, became emotional as he defended Johnson, calling him, "one of the best law enforcement officers I know."
Wyshak said the the internal investigation found complaints against Johnson were "unsubstantiated" and that the "real villain is the state trooper" who he says "went off the deep-end" and denied the allegations when confronted.
Wyshak said that trooper faces disciplinary action.
The judge did not rule on whether the defense is entitled to documents pertaining to the internal investigation.
The conduct of law enforcement is key in the case since prosecutors allege a corrupt FBI agent aided Bulger in his criminal actives while Bulger himself was a government informant.
The Friday back-and-forth came as the two sides attempt to seat a 18-member jury, including six alternates, in the high-profile case.
One hundred and 50 potential jurors whose questionnaires passed muster will be further scrutinized on Monday.
Bulger was arrested in California in 2011 after 16 years on the run. Now 83, he's charged in the killings of 19 people during his days as the leader of south Boston's Winter Hill gang.
Federal prosecutors say Bulger led the Irish mob from the late 1970s through the mid-1990s. But after Bulger fled impending racketeering charges, investigators found he had been an FBI informant whose handler tipped him off about the charges -- a tale that became the inspiration for the Oscar-winning 2006 drama "The Departed."

Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Wilson101] #719346
06/07/13 10:19 PM
06/07/13 10:19 PM
W
Wilson101 Offline OP
Underboss
Wilson101  Offline OP
W
Underboss
Comments

More
BOSTON — Even if the slight, bespectacled old guy who smiled as he wished prospective jurors a good morning were the only other soul in a subway car after midnight, you might not bother to watch him out of the corner of your eye. At 83, accused crime boss James “Whitey” Bulger is awfully thin, and nearly bald. In white tennis shoes and jeans held up with a cotton belt, he’s clean-shaven these days, and with his arms crossed over his chest at the defense table, utterly unintimidating.

James “Whitey” Bulger in a booking photo taken in June of 2011. (AP)

The racketeering case he goes on trial for here this week reaches back four decades. It reanimates a world of fedora-wearing gangsters with nicknames like “The Rifleman,” and at least one woman, Bulger’s second-favorite mistress, Catherine Greig, who’d wait up all night in full makeup keeping a second dinner warm.
The 19 murders and other crimes the Winter Hill Gang’s reputed boss is charged with may as well have happened on another world, too, since the now spiffy waterfront neighborhood around the new Southie courthouse near where Bulger grew up is as changed as the defendant — built over, buffed up, and renamed Seaport.
“It used to be scary to come down here when we were kids,” says retired Norfolk County prosecutor Matt Connolly (no relation to Bulger’s FBI handler, John Connolly, who’s already doing time). Matt Connolly, who spent much of his career trying to build a case against Bulger, is in the courtroom to see how the story ends; in his telling, the FBI wasn’t about to let him get near its prized source of bad information, and intervened as necessary.
That’s why the bureau will be on trial here, too, in the court of public opinion, anyway. At a time when its officials stand accused of both trampling civil liberties and blowing off intelligence that the Russians claim could have headed off the Marathon bombings, it might be easier to find 12 jurors and six alternates with an open mind about Bulger, a man accused of killing two 26-year-old women with his bare hands.
Throughout his adult life, the defendant has been connected in multiple ways; his brother, William “Billy” Bulger, was the president of the Massachusetts Senate and president of the University of Massachusetts. But surely the most over-the-top aspect of his whole cinematic saga is how, back when the FBI’s top priority was going after La Cosa Nostra, the head of the equally deadly Irish mob could have been recruited to inform on his Italian rivals, and purportedly allowed to use the assignment as a tidy formula for killing some enemies, then informing his handlers that other enemies were responsible.
Most remarkable of all to me is that even after the Boston Globe first published a report that Bulger was an FBI informant in 1988, absolutely nothing changed, because even the mob couldn’t believe the FBI would be so venal as to throw in with a guy like him.

Somehow, Bulger is both denying he was ever a government informant and, at least according to the prosecution, still angling to cite the immunity deal he says he was promised as his defense. U.S. District Judge Denise Casper has ruled that the defendant’s 700-page FBI informant file can be admitted as evidence, but that any immunity agreement is “not a defense to the crimes charged.”
Still, both the prosecution and the defense will be hitting as hard as they can on the theme of government corruption, with the state arguing that some of the crimes happened as a direct result of the FBI’s corrupt deal with Bulger.
Though he says he’s innocent of all 32 criminal counts against him, it’s the killing of Debra Davis and Deborah Hussey that he most vehemently denies, according to letters obtained by journalists at the Boston Globe. Davis was his partner Steve Flemmi’s girlfriend, who was trying to break up with him, and Hussey the daughter of another of Flemmi’s companions. Her crime was accusing Flemmi, who has pleaded guilty to 10 murders, of sexually assaulting her from the time she was a kid.
In Bulger’s preferred version of his career, however, he stayed true to his own code and would never hurt a woman. He also likes to position only woman left in his own life as his reason to stay alive now.
When Bulger’s common-law wife, Teresa Stanley, grew tired of life on the run, just a month after he disappeared in 1995, he dropped her back off in Boston and picked up Catherine Greig, who spent the next 16 years in hiding with him and was arrested with him in Santa Monica two years ago this month.
According to the excellent “Whitey Bulger: America’s Most Wanted Gangster and the Manhunt that Brought him to Justice,” by Boston Globe journalists Kevin Cullen and Shelley Murphy, Bulger these days paints himself as all about protecting the love of his life, determined to “hang in there for Catherine’s sake,” until she gets out of prison in eight years.
Maybe you’re thinking the state will need to locate some jurors from another time and place, because everybody in Boston has surely heard about Bulger, on whom the Jack Nicholson character in the movie “The Departed” was loosely based. (Incredibly, the same FBI unit that worked with Bulger — and tipped him off that he was going to be arrested — was put in charge of searching for him after he left town, and even ignored a report that he’d shown up for the San Diego opening of “The Departed,” according to Murphy and Cullen’s book.)
But Judge Casper tried to sell potential jurors on the benefits of sitting on a jury on a trial expected to last four months: “Your participation in this case — or frankly, any case — is no small thing,” she acknowledged. Yet jurors often say it turns out to have been “one of the most interesting of their lives.” (You said a mouthful there, your honor.)
Then Bulger’s attorney, J.W. Carney Jr. said, “I’m pleased to introduce our client, Mr. James Bulger,” and the slight man with a big reputation greeted a group of those who will write the ending for Bulger’s story.
Melinda Henneberger is a Post political writer and She the People anchor who has spent the last semester as a fellow at the Harvard Kennedy School’s Shorenstein Center. Follow her on Twitter at @MelindaDC.

Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Wilson101] #719419
06/08/13 09:42 PM
06/08/13 09:42 PM
A
abc123 Offline
Underboss
abc123  Offline
A
Underboss
Was he a real rat or not ? i mean FBI man who had him on the books was working for him was he not ? so was he on FBI books as a rat to cover him self ?

Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: abc123] #719497
06/09/13 01:08 PM
06/09/13 01:08 PM
boston/north end
Joerusso Offline
consigleire
Joerusso  Offline
consigleire
Underboss
boston/north end
Originally Posted By: abc123
Was he a real rat or not ? i mean FBI man who had him on the books was working for him was he not ? so was he on FBI books as a rat to cover him self ?
good thinking and theory but he was a rat for the simple fact he and flemmi threw names and gave up info ..what people fail to realize is that he gave flemmi gave all the info it was flemmi who knew the italians and dealt with us not no damn bulger bulger didnt know anybody and was never trusted all bulger had was flemmi when it came to In Town bulger had his caniving manipulating ways but never dealt with the italians but did rat and was an informer yea did he try to cover himself by being an informant on paper yea but he gave info lots of info minor but still info ..if he sat back been informant on paper giving no information at all just receiving and using the agents to his dealings and benefit THEN you can say he was using the the agents to cover up but he didnt

Last edited by Joerusso; 06/09/13 01:15 PM.

Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Wilson101] #719501
06/09/13 01:12 PM
06/09/13 01:12 PM
A
azguy Offline
Underboss
azguy  Offline
A
Underboss
Russo is correct, it was Flemmi that visited the North End all the time, him and Salemme were tight and since he was Italian he was viewed as a solid guy that knew the deal. It was disclosed that Flemmi drew the picture of the office on Prince Street so they knew where to place the bugs.

Bulger was smart enough to use him for his dirty work with the Italians.

Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Wilson101] #719595
06/10/13 12:11 AM
06/10/13 12:11 AM
W
Wilson101 Offline OP
Underboss
Wilson101  Offline OP
W
Underboss

Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Wilson101] #719597
06/10/13 12:21 AM
W
Wilson101 Offline OP
Underboss
Wilson101  Offline OP
W
Underboss
Written by how've Carr FYI so take it for what it's worth lol

Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Wilson101] #719598
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Originally Posted By: VegasMikey

Thanks Vegas Mikey Blackjack!

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Wilson101] #719907
06/11/13 02:31 PM
06/11/13 02:31 PM
W
Wilson101 Offline OP
Underboss
Wilson101  Offline OP
W
Underboss
Jury selection complete, trial is starting.

Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Wilson101] #719909
06/11/13 02:40 PM
06/11/13 02:40 PM
boston/north end
Joerusso Offline
consigleire
Joerusso  Offline
consigleire
Underboss
boston/north end
yes it is mikey and tomorrow is opening statements cant wait and out boy howie carr has a seat in one of the few public or media seats lol cant wait to hear the play by play commentary on twitter like it was a ball game lmaol

Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Joerusso] #719919
06/11/13 03:10 PM
06/11/13 03:10 PM
S
SharpieOne Offline
Button
SharpieOne  Offline
S
Button
If anyone wants to follow this trial over twitter, send me a DM. I'll give you the best names to follow.

Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Wilson101] #719929
06/11/13 03:31 PM
06/11/13 03:31 PM
A
azguy Offline
Underboss
azguy  Offline
A
Underboss
Can't wait until Flemmi gets on stand, will be epic !

Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Wilson101] #719941
06/11/13 03:49 PM
06/11/13 03:49 PM
boston/north end
Joerusso Offline
consigleire
Joerusso  Offline
consigleire
Underboss
boston/north end
the best names to follow is laurel_sweet and howiecarrshow they are the ones in the courtroom during everything like looking at whitey bulger in the face i know howie carr is like fuck you whitey who is laughing now lmaol

Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Wilson101] #719942
06/11/13 03:55 PM
06/11/13 03:55 PM
boston/north end
Joerusso Offline
consigleire
Joerusso  Offline
consigleire
Underboss
boston/north end
the opening statements start tomorrow and the courtroom live tweets said it was screaming match between the lawyers and da and the d.a. said something about " hope this dont continue" the screaming match and the lawyer said " it is ".....the judje casper ( black lady ) and j.w. carney whitey lawyer weas also having a screaming match lol and one of howie carr fans is a alternate juror lmaol told howie in court he is a big fan dont be suprised lawyer puts in motion to ban him from jury since whitey and howie carr had their own feud going on for the last 25 years or so

Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Joerusso] #719953
06/11/13 04:55 PM
06/11/13 04:55 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Originally Posted By: Joerusso
the opening statements start tomorrow and the courtroom live tweets said it was screaming match between the lawyers and da and the d.a. said something about " hope this dont continue" the screaming match and the lawyer said " it is ".....the judje casper ( black lady ) and j.w. carney whitey lawyer weas also having a screaming match lol and one of howie carr fans is a alternate juror lmaol told howie in court he is a big fan dont be suprised lawyer puts in motion to ban him from jury since whitey and howie carr had their own feud going on for the last 25 years or so

After reading your comments i feel like i've missed out because you clearly have alot to say but after a couple of sentences i get a headache and forget what i just read lol

Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Wilson101] #719954
06/11/13 05:07 PM
06/11/13 05:07 PM
boston/north end
Joerusso Offline
consigleire
Joerusso  Offline
consigleire
Underboss
boston/north end
well let me know when this an essay or 5 page report so i can use punctuation and proper fragmenst and senstences ...i think yous forget that we are on a forum and this is a forum for information based on topic not proper typing and standard form

Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Wilson101] #720045
06/12/13 10:06 AM
06/12/13 10:06 AM
M
Mick7 Offline
Wiseguy
Mick7  Offline
M
Wiseguy

Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Joerusso] #720049
06/12/13 10:13 AM
06/12/13 10:13 AM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Originally Posted By: Joerusso
well let me know when this an essay or 5 page report so i can use punctuation and proper fragmenst and senstences ...i think yous forget that we are on a forum and this is a forum for information based on topic not proper typing and standard form

confused

Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Wilson101] #720053
06/12/13 10:30 AM
06/12/13 10:30 AM
boston/north end
Joerusso Offline
consigleire
Joerusso  Offline
consigleire
Underboss
boston/north end
3 bodies moved from 799 E. Third Street on Halloween 1985. "Weeks will tell you about this gruesome task." Bucky, Hussey, McIntyre.Expand Collapse Reply Retweet Retweeted
Delete
Favorite Favorited More
Email Tweet Embed Tweet
1 Retweet 4:24 AM - 12 Jun 13 · Details Howie Carr ‏@HowieCarrShow 6m Now showing chart of South Boston Drug Network. Much of this opening is in Rifleman. Billy Shea will testify, Whitey's top coke dealer.Expand Collapse Reply Retweet Retweeted Delete Favorite Favorited More Email Tweet Embed Tweet Laurel J. Sweet ‏@Laurel_Sweet 8m #Bulger showing no reaction, no interest in Kelly's vivid, gruesome descriptions of the slaughters and mutilations.

Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Wilson101] #720056
06/12/13 10:35 AM
06/12/13 10:35 AM
boston/north end
Joerusso Offline
consigleire
Joerusso  Offline
consigleire
Underboss
boston/north end
Bookie Dick O'Brien will be one of first witnesses. Friend of Johnny Martorano. Lives in West Palm now.Expand Collapse Reply Retweet Retweeted
Delete
Favorite Favorited More
Email Tweet Embed Tweet Howie Carr ‏@HowieCarrShow 55m AUSA Kelly leads with Bucky Barrett murder case... "a group of criminals who ran amuk in the city of Boston for 30 years...." Stole 50K.

Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Wilson101] #720057
06/12/13 10:36 AM
06/12/13 10:36 AM
boston/north end
Joerusso Offline
consigleire
Joerusso  Offline
consigleire
Underboss
boston/north end
Opening instructions.... "unregistered machineguns.... firearms with obliterated and/or altered serial numbers...." Jurors can talk Bruins!Expand Collapse Reply Retweet Retweeted Delete Favorite Favorited More Email Tweet Embed Tweet Laurel J. Sweet ‏@Laurel_Sweet 1h At least one juror for #Bulger, one of seven women on the panel of 18, already furiously scribbling notes during Judge Casper's case outline

Re: James "Whitey" Bulger Trial [Re: Wilson101] #720058
06/12/13 10:37 AM
06/12/13 10:37 AM
boston/north end
Joerusso Offline
consigleire
Joerusso  Offline
consigleire
Underboss
boston/north end
Mike Barnicle refuses to believe Whitey -- er, Jimmy -- had anything to do with drugs. Jimmy kept the drugs out of Southie, didn't he?Expand Collapse Reply Retweet Retweeted Delete Favorite Favorited More Email Tweet Embed Tweet Howie Carr ‏@HowieCarrShow 52m "Bulger liked to promote the myth that he had nothing to do with drugs but he made millions in their distribution, particularly of cocaine."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull