GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (m2w, Toodoped), 237 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,445
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,848
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,509
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,309
Posts1,058,393
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dialect Map #715406
05/13/13 07:31 AM
05/13/13 07:31 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
Everyone outside of SE Michigan talks funny as far as I am concerned. rolleyes smile
Speak American son!!!

American Dialect Map

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Dialect Map [Re: Lilo] #715610
05/14/13 10:24 AM
05/14/13 10:24 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I never thought of MI as having a dialect, like say Eastern States or Southern states. Of course if dialect isn't necessarily an accent, I guess that would make a difference.

I don't think people here in CA have an accent/dialect, yet when I first moved here especially, a couple people said they could tell from my accent that I wasn't from CA. confused What?

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Dialect Map [Re: Lilo] #715616
05/14/13 11:24 AM
05/14/13 11:24 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
I was checking out at a local supermarket here in the Harrisburg area when the older woman at the cash register asked where I'm from. I told her the name of the nearbyu neighborhood where I live, but she asked where I was originally from, and I answered, "the Scranton area," which is about two hours north.

She said, "I know that. I mean what town." So I told her the name of the borough next to Scranton where I was raised, and she said that was her guess as she grew up in the same town some 25 years before me. She thought my accent was peculiar to the town even though many people from my home area haave told me my accent isn't the most typical for the area.

Re: Dialect Map [Re: klydon1] #715701
05/14/13 05:45 PM
05/14/13 05:45 PM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Originally Posted By: klydon1
I was checking out at a local supermarket here in the Harrisburg area when the older woman at the cash register asked where I'm from. I told her the name of the nearbyu neighborhood where I live, but she asked where I was originally from, and I answered, "the Scranton area," which is about two hours north.

She said, "I know that. I mean what town." So I told her the name of the borough next to Scranton where I was raised, and she said that was her guess as she grew up in the same town some 25 years before me. She thought my accent was peculiar to the town even though many people from my home area haave told me my accent isn't the most typical for the area.

She was just hitting on you... smile

[Linked Image]
Re: Dialect Map [Re: Lilo] #715702
05/14/13 05:50 PM
05/14/13 05:50 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
This map is awesome thanks Lilo!

"Don't ever go against the family again. Ever"- Michael Corleone
Re: Dialect Map [Re: klydon1] #715703
05/14/13 05:51 PM
05/14/13 05:51 PM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club

Do you say My mom or My Mum like the pittsburgh natives " My Mum said get JOoooB"

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: Dialect Map [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #715706
05/14/13 06:32 PM
05/14/13 06:32 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Do you say My mom or My Mum like the pittsburgh natives " My Mum said get JOoooB"

Pittsburgh is way over on the other side of the commonwealth from where I grew up. I always called my mother, "Ma," though most use the familiar "mom." My area is known for some doozies when it comes to local pronounciations. The regional dialect is affectionately called Coalcracker.

Re: Dialect Map [Re: klydon1] #715709
05/14/13 06:43 PM
05/14/13 06:43 PM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club

Pittsburgh is way over on the other side of the commonwealth from where I grew up. I always called my mother, "Ma," though most use the familiar "mom." My area is known for some doozies when it comes to local pronounciations. The regional dialect is affectionately called Coalcracker.

Yeah I forgot that is northern,pa

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: Dialect Map [Re: Lilo] #715712
05/14/13 06:55 PM
05/14/13 06:55 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
I think it is obvious which part of The United States speaks proper English, my friends...

Re: Dialect Map [Re: klydon1] #715715
05/14/13 07:12 PM
05/14/13 07:12 PM
California

California
[quote=klydon1]I was checking out at a local supermarket here in the Harrisburg area when the older woman at the cash register asked where I'm from. I told her the name of the nearbyu neighborhood where I live, but she asked where I was originally from, and I answered, "the Scranton area," which is about two hours north.

Speaking of that, I and my siblings always called my mom "ma" and yet my daughters always call me "mom". I think perhaps "ma" is Michigan and "mom" Californian dialect? confused

One time when I first moved here to CA, I was subbing in the office of a high school. I used the term "nippy" to indicate it was a little cool. The principal says, "you can tell you're not from around here." lol

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Dialect Map [Re: Lilo] #715726
05/14/13 08:55 PM
05/14/13 08:55 PM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
I can hear very slight almost non-existent accents in these two politicians' voices but they are from North and West Michigan. But when I played a recording of Stabenow for a friend of mine from NY she thought it was the funniest accent. And she was from Yonkers... rolleyes

Stabenow Speech

Snyder Speech

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Dialect Map [Re: Lilo] #715731
05/14/13 09:38 PM
05/14/13 09:38 PM
California

California
Lilo,

They both speak pretty much normal as far as I'm concerned but yea, Stabenow has a slight accent of some kind. smile

smile

TIS

Re: Dialect Map [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #715752
05/15/13 05:24 AM
05/15/13 05:24 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
I have always referred to my mother as ma, although mam is the normal term here. Always called my old man Pops, which is more of a US expression, but it just stuck to him!!

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Dialect Map [Re: klydon1] #715764
05/15/13 09:08 AM
05/15/13 09:08 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands

Kly comes from "the Valley" where you can order tick or tin crust pizza, buy a pound of hamburg at the Ack-a-me, pick up some fil-em for you camera and have a catch with your friend named Choe (as in Namath).....hain'i Kly? tongue

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Dialect Map [Re: Lilo] #715766
05/15/13 09:14 AM
05/15/13 09:14 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
In the Philadelphia / South Jersey area, they pronounce draw and saw with an "l" at the end - drawl and sawl. Drives my daughter nuts. As an English teacher from the New York suburbs (where we speak correctly), she tried to correct her 8th grade students. No luck.

Last edited by MaryCas; 05/15/13 09:14 AM.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Dialect Map [Re: MaryCas] #715896
05/16/13 05:28 AM
05/16/13 05:28 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
As a native of north east England i would never mock anybodys twang, seeing as mine is probably the most unintelligible known to man lol

Re: Dialect Map [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #715900
05/16/13 05:50 AM
05/16/13 05:50 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
As a native of north east England i would never mock anybodys twang, seeing as mine is probably the most unintelligible known to man lol

Is this similar to yours, Yogi? smile

Winter is Coming

Re: Dialect Map [Re: Lilo] #715902
05/16/13 06:10 AM
05/16/13 06:10 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Originally Posted By: Lilo

Is this similar to yours, Yogi? smile

Well he is laying it on a bit thick, but it's close tongue

Re: Dialect Map [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #715906
05/16/13 07:28 AM
05/16/13 07:28 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands

When I went to England on business, I interacted with folks from different parts of England. I did notice different accents. When we got together for dinner, these chaps would rib each other about the areas they came from; something we do in the states too. The chaps from the north did have a bit of a Scottish sound to their accent.

Re: Dialect Map [Re: MaryCas] #715941
05/16/13 01:31 PM
05/16/13 01:31 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: MaryCas

Kly comes from "the Valley" where you can order tick or tin crust pizza, buy a pound of hamburg at the Ack-a-me, pick up some fil-em for you camera and have a catch with your friend named Choe (as in Namath).....hain'i Kly? tongue

Next time we meet, I'll buy ya a cuppla two chree 'otdahgs, one wid relick one wid not. smile

Re: Dialect Map [Re: MaryCas] #715997
05/17/13 09:13 AM
05/17/13 09:13 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK

When I went to England on business, I interacted with folks from different parts of England. I did notice different accents. When we got together for dinner, these chaps would rib each other about the areas they came from; something we do in the states too. The chaps from the north did have a bit of a Scottish sound to their accent.

Us hardy northern types are so close to Scotland we have even started to sound like them smile

Re: Dialect Map [Re: klydon1] #715998
05/17/13 09:14 AM
05/17/13 09:14 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK

Next time we meet, I'll buy ya a cuppla two chree 'otdahgs, one wid relick one wid not. smile

That makes perfect sense to me. Perhaps i am sort of linguistial genius?? rolleyes

Re: Dialect Map [Re: Lilo] #716078
05/17/13 07:00 PM
05/17/13 07:00 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Yogi - what do they call the Brits who speak like: "The rine in Spine fowls minely own the pline?" I saw it in a movie or something, didn't I?

Re: Dialect Map [Re: Mark] #716139
05/18/13 08:23 AM
05/18/13 08:23 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Originally Posted By: Mark
Yogi - what do they call the Brits who speak like: "The rine in Spine fowls minely own the pline?" I saw it in a movie or something, didn't I?

That sounds like southerners Mark. Cockneys who are from London, or possibly Brummies, who come from Birmingham. That expression is quite common here, but i have no clue where it comes from originally!!!

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull