GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (TheKillingJoke, 2 invisible), 244 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,564
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,032
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,514
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,362
Posts1,059,346
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Contradiction? #48405
07/03/02 11:02 PM
07/03/02 11:02 PM
Melbourne
D
Don_Vito Offline OP
Associate
Don_Vito  Offline OP
D
Associate
Melbourne
Hi to everyone here, im new to this place, so i dont know everyone here, just wanted to say hi.
Um, after reading the Godfather about 5 times, and having watched the movie about twice as many times, i have stumbled upon a little contradiction.
I was wondering, Sollozo wanted to make a deal with the Corleone Family right? what did he want? he wanted the political protection that the Don could offer with his connections. Now, at the meeting, Sonny showed a split of opinion inside the family, which was a mistake, and Sollozo saw an opening in the family. He could, kill the Don, and thus have better relations with the family in dealing with Sonny. Unfortunately, the plan to kill the Don failed, but he was hospitalized. While he was in the hospital, Tom, Sonny,Clemenza and Tessio were discussing the fact that if the Don didn't make it, they would lose about half of the family ties in politics, for Sonny hadn't gained the respect yet. Now, if that was the case, then wound't Sollozo have failed in trying to achieve the concaine deal if he had succeeded in killing the Don?
Please tell me what u all think on this matter. thankz all :-)

Re: Contradiction? #48406
07/04/02 12:02 AM
07/04/02 12:02 AM
M
Machiavelli Offline
Made Member
Machiavelli  Offline
M
Made Member
So true. But Sollozzo need political connections and 2 million in cash. He figured he could get the cash from Sonny and that some of the political connections would be wired to Sonny as he would become the head of the Corleone Family. So Sollozzo figure that half the connection and the cash was better than nothing at all.

Re: Contradiction? #48407
07/04/02 12:42 AM
07/04/02 12:42 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by Machiavelli:
So true. But Sollozzo need political connections and 2 million in cash. He figured he could get the cash from Sonny and that some of the political connections would be wired to Sonny as he would become the head of the Corleone Family. So Sollozzo figure that half the connection and the cash was better than nothing at all.
Very true, Machiavelli! Not all the family's political connections would have bolted because some of them still had houses to build and kids to put through college. Solozzo knew he'd never get Vito to change his mind. But Sonny, hot temper and all, might have been more amenable to listening to Hagen, whom Solozzo inferred was on his side. Therefore, Solozzo could have gotten use of the family's remaining political connections from Sonny, probably on better terms than he might have gotten from Vito.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Contradiction? #48408
07/04/02 12:48 AM
07/04/02 12:48 AM
New Zealand
Anton The Penguin Offline
Underboss
Anton The Penguin  Offline
Underboss
New Zealand
Well I just wanted to say hi [Linked Image] and welcome to the boards. grin

Anton
smile

Only after the last tree has been cut down
Only after the last river has been poisioned
Only after the last fish has been caught

Then you will find that money cannot be eaten.
Re: Contradiction? #48409
07/04/02 10:48 PM
07/04/02 10:48 PM
Georgia
TheIrishDon Offline
Made Member
TheIrishDon  Offline
Made Member
Georgia
Yeah Yeah HELLO to you too grin

The World is yours.
Re: Contradiction? #48410
07/04/02 11:00 PM
07/04/02 11:00 PM
Chicago
Daniel Corleone Offline
Underboss
Daniel Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Chicago
Originally posted by Don_Vito:
Now, at the meeting, Sonny showed a split of opinion inside the family, which was a mistake, and Sollozo saw an opening in the family. He could, kill the Don, and thus have better relations with the family in dealing with Sonny. Unfortunately, the plan to kill the Don failed, but he was hospitalized. While he was in the hospital, Tom, Sonny,Clemenza and Tessio were discussing the fact that if the Don didn't make it, they would lose about half of the family ties in politics, for Sonny hadn't gained the respect yet. Now, if that was the case, then wound't Sollozo have failed in trying to achieve the concaine deal if he had succeeded in killing the Don?
Please tell me what u all think on this matter. thankz all :-)
First of all welcome Don_Vito. Feel free to browse and post at the other forums as well. As regards to your question, I guess 2 of my fellow mafioso's had answered it well. Just wanted to add my 2 cents. Since the Don was in grave danger and the thought of him dying was imminent, Solozzo played it safe by pressurung Tom to make the deal with Sonnny. Sonny, being a Corleone and I am sure he was in the meetings where the Don met with the so called political ties. He still had some sort of connection and power as to which could benefit Solozzo's business. Guess I am kinda repeating myself (since it was answered already) but oh well, lol. [Linked Image]

By the way, very interesting question for a first time poster. Anyways, take it easy and have fun. [Linked Image]

"Life is so beatiful" - Don Vito in The Godfather novel
"My name is Michael Corleone...There are people who'd pay a lot of money for that information" - The Godfather
Re: Contradiction? #48411
07/04/02 11:49 PM
07/04/02 11:49 PM
Melbourne
D
Don_Vito Offline OP
Associate
Don_Vito  Offline OP
D
Associate
Melbourne
well, i take my "Godfather" seriously. hehe. ^^

Re: Contradiction? #48412
07/05/02 01:03 AM
07/05/02 01:03 AM
Mena, Arkansas
Scarlett Offline
Underboss
Scarlett  Offline
Underboss
Mena, Arkansas
Originally posted by Don_Vito:
well, i take my "Godfather" seriously. hehe. ^^
As we all here do!!!

"Life is so beautiful."

"Even the King of Italy didn't dare to meddle with the relationship of a husband and wife."

Don Vito Corleone
Re: Contradiction? #48413
07/16/02 01:16 PM
07/16/02 01:16 PM
undisclosed
canaveral6 Offline
Wiseguy
canaveral6  Offline
Wiseguy
undisclosed
The way I see it, Solozzo, and his crew, were vastly incompetent. The fact that his men fired like 17 shots and only hit Vito five times is one clue of that. Anyway it could just be that Solozzo didn't look into it very well. He also should have known that Sonny was to hot-headed to make business deals, Solozzo said that himself. And the guy that was in the restaurant, that Micheal didn't know about, didn't do anything to Micheal after he shot Solozzo. Again this expresses their inadequecy.

"Fredo, you're my older brother, and I love you. But never take sides against the family again. Ever."
-Micheal Corleone-(The Godfather)

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull