GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 246 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,323
Posts1,058,597
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mobster Suspected In Museum Heist To Be Sentenced #714806
05/09/13 09:38 AM
05/09/13 09:38 AM
F
franklinmint Offline OP
Wiseguy
franklinmint  Offline OP
F
Wiseguy

The Hartford Courant

8:23 a.m. EDT, May 9, 2013

Robert Gentile, the mobster locked in a standoff with federal authorities over hundreds of millions of dollars in artwork stolen from Boston's Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, is scheduled to be sentenced Wednesday on drug and gun charges.

Federal investigators had been pressing the ailing, 76-year old gangster for at least two years in the belief that he has knowledge of what became of 13 priceless paintings stolen in 1990 in the most expensive, notorious -- and still unsolved -- stolen art case ever.

Gentile has repeatedly denied any knowledge of the art robbery or what happened afterward to as much as $500 million in art. If he had information, Gentile said he would immediately have provided it to federal investigators in exchange for leniency and the $5 million reward.

Federal investigators approached Gentile for information about the art robbery in 2010. A year later, they made him the target of an elaborate drug sting. During a search of his Manchester home following the drug arrest, investigators found what a federal magistrate called an "arsenal" of weapons in his cellar.

Gentile was first charged last year with conspiring with longtime associate Andrew Parente of Hartford to sell prescription painkillers. At the time, Gentile was a fixture at a used car lot and garage on Franklin Avenue, where he cooked lunch for the handful of senior citizen mobsters who still frequent the neighborhood.

He later was charged with being a convicted felon in possession of guns, ammunition and four silencers.

Gentile faces 46 to 57 months in prison under the terms of a plea-bargain agreement reached by his lawyer, A. Ryan McGuigan, and Assistant U.S. Attorney John Durham. The maximum sentence on each of the nine charges would have resulted in 150 years in prison.

McGuigan has suggested on prior occasions that the prosecution of his client is a bald attempt by the government to pressure "a sick old man" to produce information about an art theft that he knows nothing about.

"I'm sorry for costing the state a lot of time and money," Gentile repeatedly told U.S. District Chatigny when he pleaded guilty to the drug and gun charges in November. "I don't have many more years to fight this case, because I am a very sick man."

Asked by Chatigny whether he considered a guilty plea to be in his best interest, Gentile replied: "Yes, I do, for myself and the government, to save time. I don't have much time left."

Informed by the judge that he would have to forfeit the guns, Gentile said, "I don't want them."

As well as $22,000 in confiscated cash, the judge said.

"You can have that, too," Gentile said. "Thank you."

The Gardner robbery unfolded when two men disguised as police officers talked their way into the museum about 1:30 a.m. on March 18, 1990, and shocked the art world. They bound the museum's two security guards, battered priceless paintings from their wall mounts and frames, stuffed the canvases into a little red car and disappeared.

Among the estimated $500 million in stolen masterpieces are three Rembrandts -- including his only known seascape, "Storm on the Sea of Galilee" -- a Vermeer, a Manet and five drawings by Degas. One source close to the investigation said Gentile is the best lead that authorities have had in 22 years.

It's "all lies," Gentile said during an earlier appearance in court.

Over half a century, Gentile has had a reputation in Hartford mostly as a hustler and a thief, according to a variety of law enforcement and underworld sources. But in the past decade or so, federal authorities have developed information suggesting that his interests were wider than originally thought, the same sources said.

Associates of Gentile have said that, in the 1990s, he began traveling regularly to Boston. He became a made, or sworn, member of a crew of the Philadelphia crime family operating in Boston in 1998 at age 62, according to law enforcement and other sources. Gentile denies being a member of the mafia.

While in Boston, he also became associated with the crew of gangsters in Dorchester that included the FBI's best suspects in the Gardner job, according to the same sources.

Federal authorities won't discuss any specific allegation against Gentile.

"The government has reason to believe that Mr. Gentile had some involvement with stolen property out of the district of Massachusetts," Durham said during a hearing at federal court earlier this year.

Last edited by franklinmint; 05/09/13 09:39 AM.
Re: Mobster Suspected In Museum Heist To Be Sentenced [Re: franklinmint] #714871
05/09/13 04:11 PM
05/09/13 04:11 PM
A
azguy Offline
Underboss
azguy  Offline
A
Underboss
He got 2 1/2 years better than the 48-60 month sentencing guideline that prosecutors were after.

The Boston Herald also said he could be out in 10-12 months-

"In onore della Famiglia la Famiglia e' aperta"
Re: Mobster Suspected In Museum Heist To Be Sentenced [Re: franklinmint] #714889
05/09/13 06:25 PM
05/09/13 06:25 PM
boston/north end
Joerusso Offline
consigleire
Joerusso  Offline
consigleire
Underboss
boston/north end
now thats a good lawyer and a smart man they be off his back no more questioning or harrasment and he didnt give no one up or did he even admit to "this thing of ours" ... God bless him good man i heard he is the one that helped luisi get made to the philly guys

raymond l.s.patrairca sr to u.s. state committee- " if i didnt have my case coming up ill to come back in here with two gentlemen and when this is over with and really lay down the law, yous guys been giving me nothing but alot of hookwhick and i wish i wasnt on trial and have this case and really tell the united states whats going on "
Jerry Anguilo on wartime with winter hill - " If we got to war we got Joe Russo and the maverick boys so we have nothing to worry about they can go to vietnam and come back untouched "
Re: Mobster Suspected In Museum Heist To Be Sentenced [Re: franklinmint] #714900
05/09/13 07:18 PM
05/09/13 07:18 PM
A
azguy Offline
Underboss
azguy  Offline
A
Underboss
Until this story broke a while back I never knew that Philly was operating in CT and Massachusetts.

Anyone know the history behind that..?

Re: Mobster Suspected In Museum Heist To Be Sentenced [Re: franklinmint] #714942
05/09/13 09:44 PM
05/09/13 09:44 PM
Eastern Massachusetts
B
bostonattorney Offline
Wiseguy
bostonattorney  Offline
B
Wiseguy
Eastern Massachusetts
Feds seem like sore losers. Statute of limitations is up on the Gardner robbery so they bust this older gentlemen on this nonsense. These resources are better spent investigating terrorism and preventing coordinated attacks on our country. It's racist. Concentrate on the Asians and Salvadorians and Russians who are threatening national security by smuggling in immigrants and weapons.

Re: Mobster Suspected In Museum Heist To Be Sentenced [Re: franklinmint] #715149
05/11/13 12:05 PM
05/11/13 12:05 PM
A
azguy Offline
Underboss
azguy  Offline
A
Underboss
He certainly never admitted any association to LCN, old school.

Plus, I bet if he knew about the art he would be collecting that $5 million in reward money.

Re: Mobster Suspected In Museum Heist To Be Sentenced [Re: franklinmint] #715158
05/11/13 01:00 PM
05/11/13 01:00 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

I read somewhere he had a age old fued with the Genovese mobster volpe from Hartford, 2 old guys hating each other. cray part he flunked the lie test. I never believe Howie carr but I think he got it right whoever stole the art put it in the hands of someone who died out the blue and took them to the grave.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull