GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 293 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,491
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,923
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,334
Posts1,058,822
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Old school gangsters vs. modern age #712950
04/27/13 11:09 AM
04/27/13 11:09 AM
J
Joe_Bonanno Offline OP
Made Member
Joe_Bonanno  Offline OP
J
Made Member
What you think, who is more successful - the old school gangsters, or the new age wiseguys? Why the rules and the honor are now lost, and there are only a bunch of stupid kids, who are now the new face of the organized crime? Where are the old timers, who were ruthless but paid rents, took care of their people, and family, why such a code doesen't exist no more?

Last edited by Joe_Bonanno; 04/27/13 11:10 AM.
Re: Old school gangsters vs. modern age [Re: Joe_Bonanno] #712963
04/27/13 11:55 AM
04/27/13 11:55 AM
Antonio Offline
Made Member
Antonio  Offline
Made Member
Like I have said before in other topics created. Why must people always go to the extremes when talking about the Mafia, it's power and the men who make it up. People either seem to think the Mafia has to be mighty powerful, like it's and all knowing phenomenon. Either that, or it just doesn't exist any more and it's as about as powerful as a street gang. Can't people just accept, the truth lies In between!

Sure, some of the new modern age gangsters don't compare to the more old school disciplined one's. That doesn't mean however guys with an old school approach don't exist any more, it doesn't mean that the Mafia is made up of violent, degenerate kids either. The truth is, The Mafia isn't all powerful anymore, but it isn't dead, it's about as powerful as any other criminal organization in the US today,some say it's still at the top, however that doesn't mean it's as powerful as it once was. which still means a big something.

It's the same with the guys who make it up, some are old school, they care more about the values, some guys just care about money and don't care who they betray. And that applies to pretty much anyone in the modern world today whether they be criminals or legitimate businessmen.

Personally, to answer your question, I think the old school guys are the best type. Sure, money is the most important thing but at least they have some sort of "Honor" (and in the way they mean it) to not rat on their friends have some sort of moral code. That's just me though, I like to think you can trust on your friends and associates and everyone else in the world can fuck off because lets be honest, you don't give a shit about them, and they probably don't give two shits about you...

Tony Soprano : I thought I told you to back off Beansie!

Richie Aprile : I did, Then I put it in drive..
Re: Old school gangsters vs. modern age [Re: Antonio] #712966
04/27/13 12:22 PM
04/27/13 12:22 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
I remember a debate happened a long time ago on a blog now gone about Vic Amuso being "old school" and Casso being a violent psychopatic rat. I agree about Casso (even though I don't see why would him being a rat be worse than the fact he was a multiple murderer), but why Amuso is considered old school I have no idea. One of the people in question claimed to have known him personally. Even so, considering the fact he had such an individual as Casso for underboss, that must mean he didn't really mind his paranoid and extremely violent methods.

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Old school gangsters vs. modern age [Re: Dwalin2011] #712977
04/27/13 01:41 PM
04/27/13 01:41 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
Go back and read how violent the Mafia was back in the 1800s and you'll realize the only differences are the externals, such as societal and technological changes. Some bosses were less violent than others, but they have always used violence.

It's funny that what qualifies Amuso as being old school is that he was less violent than Casso. If you read some of the old FBI reports and memos at Maryferrell.org you'll see that the younger mobsters at that time didn't always care for the so-called old school "Mustache Petes" because those old school mobsters were prone to kill someone for any perceived disrespect.

Re: Old school gangsters vs. modern age [Re: Faithful1] #712978
04/27/13 01:54 PM
04/27/13 01:54 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Faithful1
Go back and read how violent the Mafia was back in the 1800s and you'll realize the only differences are the externals, such as societal and technological changes. Some bosses were less violent than others, but they have always used violence.

I agree. Angelo Bruno was called "the gentle don" for ordering "only" about 10 murders.
I also read Vito Cascio Ferro claimed he only killed Giuseppe Petrosino and nobody else in his life, I wonder how true is that.
Originally Posted By: Faithful1

It's funny that what qualifies Amuso as being old school is that he was less violent than Casso.

But WAS he indeed less violent than Casso or is it just fanboy nonsense? Did Casso usually ask for Amuso's sanction for the murders or was it like with Merlino and Natale when Merlino often didn't bother to ask?

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Old school gangsters vs. modern age [Re: Antonio] #713156
04/29/13 10:15 AM
04/29/13 10:15 AM
S
strococs Offline
Capo
strococs  Offline
S
Capo
the mob will never regain its former glory in my opinion for one main reason.

The main reason is they can not kill people and get away with it . "the old school guys" were not any smarter then the criminals today. Once the government started to let murderers become informants the underworld lost its ability to make sure a guy could never rat.

Re: Old school gangsters vs. modern age [Re: Joe_Bonanno] #713269
04/29/13 10:33 PM
04/29/13 10:33 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

While I think the old timers were more loyal and disciplined than the later counterparts, considering the advantages the old timers had compared to the disadvantages the newer guys have, I don't think the gulf is as wide as many believe.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull