GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Lou_Para), 271 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,916
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,330
Posts1,058,774
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fashions Trends Past-Present #712465
04/24/13 12:51 PM
04/24/13 12:51 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline OP
The Italian Stallionette  Offline OP

California
A comment on the Mad Men thread inspired this thread. What are your thoughts on fashion past/present. What did you like, not like. Anything you wish would come back or go away for that matter. lol I'll start with a couple examples.

For me, 60s/70s styles stand out most. The first thing that comes to mind of fashion past is the Bell bottoms. OMG, the wider the bell, the cooler it was. lol Problem was, for me anyway, that I am so short, I'd have to have mine hemmed considerably, cutting of the largest part of the bell. ohwell

I use to love (and still do, tho I don't get so dressed up anymore that often) are the shoes with the thick high heel (I think we called them clogs). Again, because I am short, I love that they give me height(powerful feeling LOL). I am glad that they are still in style without much of a change IMHO.

When I was a kid or young girl only older people (moms) wore what we called "pedal pushers". I'd never be seen dead in them back in the day. NOW they have capris which are basically the same thing and they are perfect when it's not too hot but to warm to wear jeans.

Ok, so maybe men won't care for this thread so much. lol But anyone feel free to chime in.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Fashions Trends Past-Present [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #712471
04/24/13 01:31 PM
04/24/13 01:31 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Bell bottoms and pedal pushers. I had the former, but I am remember the pushers.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Fashions Trends Past-Present [Re: olivant] #712493
04/24/13 02:29 PM
04/24/13 02:29 PM
California

California
For the guys, remember Leisure Suits? lol Lime green to be specific. A lot of men wore them.

One year my MIL got each of her sons and one son-in-law a Leisure Suit for Christmas. lol Thankfully my husband didn't care for them even then, and exchanged it.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Fashions Trends Past-Present [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #712494
04/24/13 02:33 PM
04/24/13 02:33 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
For the guys, remember Leisure Suits? lol Lime green to be specific. A lot of men wore them.

One year my MIL got each of her sons and one son-in-law a Leisure Suit for Christmas. lol Thankfully my husband didn't care for them even then, and exchanged it.
TIS

Madonne! Yes, I remember them. Thank God I never wore one.

Re: Fashions Trends Past-Present [Re: olivant] #712496
04/24/13 02:36 PM
04/24/13 02:36 PM
California

California
Oli,

Lime Green and a baby blue are the only two colors I remember. It is funny but a lot of men wore them. lol I know there's women's styles that I look back on and laugh. At this moment I can't think of any but I'm sure someone will.

TIS

Re: Fashions Trends Past-Present [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #712523
04/24/13 06:16 PM
04/24/13 06:16 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
When I was about ten, my back-to-school clothing one year somehow included a Nehru jacket. I was the only 10-year old in an Irish-Italian neighborhhod who could be confued with Sammy Davis, Jr.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Fashions Trends Past-Present [Re: mustachepete] #712526
04/24/13 06:32 PM
04/24/13 06:32 PM
California

California
Originally Posted By: mustachepete
When I was about ten, my back-to-school clothing one year somehow included a Nehru jacket. I was the only 10-year old in an Irish-Italian neighborhhod who could be confued with Sammy Davis, Jr.

Ha ha ha! How cute. smile I remember the Beatles as starting the fad but Sammy Davis Jr. does come to mind as well.

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 04/24/13 06:33 PM.

Re: Fashions Trends Past-Present [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #712532
04/24/13 06:49 PM
04/24/13 06:49 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: mustachepete

Ha ha ha! How cute. smile I remember the Beatles as starting the fad but Sammy Davis Jr. does come to mind as well.

TIS

The first outfit I bought for my wife was a pants suit with a Nehru collar. My mother in law said I had good taste.

Re: Fashions Trends Past-Present [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #712796
04/26/13 12:04 PM
04/26/13 12:04 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania

TIS

When I was in middle school in 1977, I was part of the school's musical show where I played a sax duet (Old Man River), and then a solo (Yesterday). For the performance my mother took me out to buy a powdered blue leisure suit, which I wore with a floral shirt of some type. That summer I remember wearing the leisure suit to a family reunion. Unfortunately there are photographs from both events.

Re: Fashions Trends Past-Present [Re: olivant] #712797
04/26/13 12:05 PM
04/26/13 12:05 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: olivant
The first outfit I bought for my wife was a pants suit with a Nehru collar. My mother in law said I had good taste.

lol

She had to say you had good taste. you were dating her daughter.

Re: Fashions Trends Past-Present [Re: klydon1] #712798
04/26/13 12:06 PM
04/26/13 12:06 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Thank god I never wore a leisure suit! I do admit to having polyester flare pants and a shirt with a long collar (like the guy in the Brady Bunch)in the '70s, but I think all photographic evidence of this is destroyed.

Over the years I have learned one thing: Always buy first rate ties because they will last forever, and the thing with men's ties is they get wide, and wider, and then thin and thinner. If you have a collection of them over several decades, you can always find one that is in style.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Fashions Trends Past-Present [Re: dontomasso] #712801
04/26/13 12:17 PM
04/26/13 12:17 PM
California

California
Remember the paisley shirts and hats? Or stripped/printed men's pants? LOL Was that the 70s or 60s LOL.

Btw, another aspect of fashion I'm reminded of because I have a couple of my late mother's watches. One of them is a "sunburst". Do you guys remember that? They had fancy wall clocks also. I remember because my MIL had one. It was popular in the 70's I think. lol

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 04/26/13 12:17 PM.

Re: Fashions Trends Past-Present [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #712807
04/26/13 12:25 PM
04/26/13 12:25 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Remember the paisley shirts and hats? Or stripped/printed men's pants? LOL Was that the 70s or 60s LOL.

TIS

I remember these in the 70s. I was 5 in 1969 and the third boy, so all of my clothing consisted of hand-me-downs. But I'm guessing striped pants in the 60s existed.

I remember paisley ties being popular throughout the 80s. Ties were hilariously flashy and wide in the 70s and became severely narrow after the Reagan election. I also remeber that when I was graduating law school, the yellow power tie was a ubiquitous must in every lawyer's wardrobe.

Re: Fashions Trends Past-Present [Re: klydon1] #712824
04/26/13 01:27 PM
04/26/13 01:27 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: klydon1
I also remeber that when I was graduating law school, the yellow power tie was a ubiquitous must in every lawyer's wardrobe.

Funny you should say that. My fathers friend Matt- years ago- would tell us: You should always raise your price when a guy comes in with a power tie on. He will always try and "jew" ( his term so don't throw me crap for it) you down after you give him a good price or he will not pay you when the job is done and you will have to sue him to get your money. lol

There is a good chance that he is a flunky lawyer and he will defend himself while you have to pay out your ass for your lawyer. Then he will offer you pennies on the dollar to settle or give you a run around and around till you take what he offers just to get something. lol

That just hit me after reading about your yellow tie. lol lol

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: Fashions Trends Past-Present [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #712825
04/26/13 01:30 PM
04/26/13 01:30 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Or stripped/printed men's pants?
TIS

I had them TIS. I had the bell bottom plaid of red, blue, white and maybe a few other colors. As wild as that sounds, they were definitely in style. Also, I have a picture with my wife and kids wherein I am wearing a long-sleeve paisley shirt, blue on white. Groovy man!

Last edited by olivant; 04/26/13 01:32 PM.

Re: Fashions Trends Past-Present [Re: olivant] #712827
04/26/13 01:53 PM
04/26/13 01:53 PM
California

California
TIS

I had them TIS. I had the bell bottom plaid of red, blue, white and maybe a few other colors. As wild as that sounds, they were definitely in style. Also, I have a picture with my wife and kids wherein I am wearing a long-sleeve paisley shirt, blue on white. Groovy man!

Oli, you missed my incorrect spelling. wink "Stripped" pants?? Yikes!! lol I meant "striped."

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 04/26/13 01:54 PM.

Re: Fashions Trends Past-Present [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #712829
04/26/13 02:08 PM
04/26/13 02:08 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
TIS

Oli, you missed my incorrect spelling. wink "Stripped" pants?? Yikes!! lol I meant "striped."

TIS
No. I caught it. But, like, ya know, you're like in California, like, ya know. For sure.

Last edited by olivant; 04/26/13 02:08 PM.

Re: Fashions Trends Past-Present [Re: olivant] #712830
04/26/13 02:09 PM
04/26/13 02:09 PM
California

California
TIS

TIS
No. I caught it. But, like, ya know, you're like in California, like, ya know. For sure.

Totally!! lol (I'm getting lax since I retired.)

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 04/26/13 02:10 PM.

Re: Fashions Trends Past-Present [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #712934
04/27/13 09:14 AM
04/27/13 09:14 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
I am embarrased to say that i am still wearing the same sort of clothes that i was wearing back in the 70's and 80's. T-shirts, jeans and trainers, shorts in the summer (when we have one)

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Fashions Trends Past-Present [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #712959
04/27/13 11:38 AM
04/27/13 11:38 AM
California

California
Yogi,

Trainers??? What are those? confused

TIS

Re: Fashions Trends Past-Present [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #712993
04/27/13 03:50 PM
04/27/13 03:50 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi,

Trainers??? What are those? confused

TIS

Sorry TIS, trans Atlantic language confusion tongue

Sneakers!!

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Fashions Trends Past-Present [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #713014
04/27/13 08:01 PM
04/27/13 08:01 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I loved the fashion of the 80s and 90s, mostly because I have big hair naturally, so I fit right in. I also loved those women's suits with the giant shoulder pads, which made your waist look oh so tiny. And that Miami Vice look for men? Yum.

That whole polyester disco look was just gross, and the sooner we forget that whole era, the better. I have my brother's school picture from that era (he was the young, hip teacher) and he's wearing a blue leisure suit with a mauve floral shirt, and he had a goatee and a 'fro.

Of all the fashion eras, though, I love the postwar 40s, when Dior's New Look was introduced. The clothes were so glamorous and feminine. I even love the poodle skirts and dresses from the 50s. So pretty.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull