GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 60 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,164
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,387
Posts1,059,820
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Book of Mormon #712398
04/23/13 08:36 PM
04/23/13 08:36 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline OP
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline OP
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
First of all I'm not doing this to spark a vicious religious debate (god knows we have enough of those) or spark another fight.

But I recently saw this play in Boston before the tragic bombings, and it was HILARIOUS. It's no wonder it won 9 Tony awards, especially since the guys who created South Park wrote it. If none of you have seen it I highly suggest going because you will not regret it (except if your my mother who took along my 14 year old brother and cursed herself afterwards lol ) Just remember this one's not for the kiddies grin

"Don't ever go against the family again. Ever"- Michael Corleone
Re: The Book of Mormon [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #712400
04/23/13 08:41 PM
04/23/13 08:41 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Oh I have no doubt a Trey Parker/Matt Stone musical would be a hoot, and probably intelligent as well in the process. Can't wait for the inevitable big budget Oscar bait movie.

I still argue this should be our NEW national anthem.

Re: The Book of Mormon [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #712409
04/23/13 09:42 PM
04/23/13 09:42 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
You did it Joseph you got the Tony smile - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J9nJD1lMxs

Re: The Book of Mormon [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #712410
04/23/13 09:45 PM
04/23/13 09:45 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
Oh I have no doubt a Trey Parker/Matt Stone musical would be a hoot, and probably intelligent as well in the process. Can't wait for the inevitable big budget Oscar bait movie.

I still argue this should be our NEW national anthem.

My suggestion - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pM8PrqY5Rg

Re: The Book of Mormon [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #712415
04/23/13 10:03 PM
04/23/13 10:03 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Of all the religions those guys have had fun with, the Mormons seem to be one of the most common. Not just on South Park but also with Orgazmo (which came out when I was on my mission, for crying out loud) and now this play. They actually did pay us a compliment, of sorts, because they said they knew from the start there wouldn't be any negative reaction from the Mormon church. Mormons are too "nice." Parker and Stone seem to have a certain liking for us but see us as lovable, naive fools. There a couple more that I want to see their faces on that day.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: The Book of Mormon [Re: IvyLeague] #712417
04/23/13 10:14 PM
04/23/13 10:14 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline OP
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline OP
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Of all the religions those guys have had fun with, the Mormons seem to be one of the most common. Not just on South Park but also with Orgazmo (which came out when I was on my mission, for crying out loud) and now this play. They actually did pay us a compliment, of sorts, because they said they knew from the start there wouldn't be any negative reaction from the Mormon church. Mormons are too "nice." Parker and Stone seem to have a certain liking for us but see us as lovable, naive fools. There a couple more that I want to see their faces on that day.

Come on ivy you gotta have a little sense of humor lol yeah sure it's poking fun of Mormonism but these guys poke fun of EVERYTHING for crying out loud. You gotta admit to the average schmo "sailing to upstate New York in 600 BC where Mormon wrote down a bunch of stuff on golden plates only to be found again by Joseph smith in 1823 in his backyard (and he's the only one who can read them...shocker)" is pretty hilarious. I don't have a problem if someone follows Mormonism at all but it shouldn't be surprising that not many take it seriously.

Re: The Book of Mormon [Re: IvyLeague] #712423
04/23/13 10:48 PM
04/23/13 10:48 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland

I completely agree about Mormons (in South Park Generalization land ;)) Before Trey and Matt made, The Book of Mormon they'd already said Mormons were the least offended Religion even though other than the Scientology ep, All About The Mormons was probably the most ofensive episode on religion.

Last edited by Camarel; 04/23/13 10:49 PM.
Re: The Book of Mormon [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #712428
04/23/13 11:09 PM
04/23/13 11:09 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: 123JoeSchmo
Come on ivy you gotta have a little sense of humor lol yeah sure it's poking fun of Mormonism but these guys poke fun of EVERYTHING for crying out loud.

I'm saying they've poked fun at Mormonism more often. And, I'm not sure it's accurate to say they've gone after everything. They wussed out with that South Park episode on Islam.

Quote:
You gotta admit to the average schmo "sailing to upstate New York in 600 BC where Mormon wrote down a bunch of stuff on golden plates only to be found again by Joseph smith in 1823 in his backyard (and he's the only one who can read them...shocker)" is pretty hilarious. I don't have a problem if someone follows Mormonism at all but it shouldn't be surprising that not many take it seriously.

It's more understandable that atheists and agnostics have a hard time believing the Joseph Smith story. I don't give religious folk, particularly Christians, the same pass because there are any number of things in the Bible that could be said to be just as unbelievable.

And, for the record, 11 other people verified that the plates were real. They saw them and held them, including the engravings on the plates.

Furthermore, Professor Charles Anthon in New York examined some of Joseph's translations, and said they were correct, more so than any he had before seen translated from the Egyptian. He also examined some as yet untranslated characters and said they were Egyptian, Chaldaic, Assyriac, and Arabic.

Finally, if not taking Joseph's word about how the Book of Mormon came about, people are then under the obligation of explaining how an rather uneducated man in his mid-20's, who had never been anywhere outside of upstate New York, could produce the Book of Mormon in only 2 months. It was simply impossible for somebody like him to do so and every alternative theory has failed to explain it.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: The Book of Mormon [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #712430
04/23/13 11:22 PM
04/23/13 11:22 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline OP
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline OP
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
All disagreements aside I just thought the play was funny. I don't want to get into a huge debate that's leave that to the other thread lol

Re: The Book of Mormon [Re: IvyLeague] #712431
04/23/13 11:27 PM
04/23/13 11:27 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Originally Posted By: 123JoeSchmo
Come on ivy you gotta have a little sense of humor lol yeah sure it's poking fun of Mormonism but these guys poke fun of EVERYTHING for crying out loud.

I'm saying they've poked fun at Mormonism more often. And, I'm not sure it's accurate to say they've gone after everything. They wussed out with that South Park episode on Islam.

Quote:
You gotta admit to the average schmo "sailing to upstate New York in 600 BC where Mormon wrote down a bunch of stuff on golden plates only to be found again by Joseph smith in 1823 in his backyard (and he's the only one who can read them...shocker)" is pretty hilarious. I don't have a problem if someone follows Mormonism at all but it shouldn't be surprising that not many take it seriously.

It's more understandable that atheists and agnostics have a hard time believing the Joseph Smith story. I don't give religious folk, particularly Christians, the same pass because there are any number of things in the Bible that could be said to be just as unbelievable.

And, for the record, 11 other people verified that the plates were real. They saw them and held them, including the engravings on the plates.

Furthermore, Professor Charles Anthon in New York examined some of Joseph's translations, and said they were correct, more so than any he had before seen translated from the Egyptian. He also examined some as yet untranslated characters and said they were Egyptian, Chaldaic, Assyriac, and Arabic.

Finally, if not taking Joseph's word about how the Book of Mormon came about, people are then under the obligation of explaining how an rather uneducated man in his mid-20's, who had never been anywhere outside of upstate New York, could produce the Book of Mormon in only 2 months. It was simply impossible for somebody like him to do so and every alternative theory has failed to explain it.

I'm only responding to the part of your quote about South Park. Firstly, Judaism is by far the most targeted subject nevermind religion on SP. Next would be Christianity which is usually targeted in a derogatory manner when compared to the Mormanism Episodes(1). Which are usually about how nice Mormans are including the musical. The point of the Cartoon Wars episodes is their inevitable Wussing out because Comedy Central clearly wouldn't have shown Mohammad that close to the Danish Cartoon controversy.

Last edited by Camarel; 04/23/13 11:28 PM.
Re: The Book of Mormon [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #712536
04/24/13 07:06 PM
04/24/13 07:06 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
I keep seeing the commercial for the play, prob should check it out at some point.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: The Book of Mormon [Re: IvyLeague] #712580
04/24/13 09:09 PM
04/24/13 09:09 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Actually Ivy, they didn't "wuss" out on Islam. Comedy Central lost their balls by censoring that episode against their wishes. (Hell they showed Muhammed in that episode of the religious figures SUPERFRIENDS-esque team-up long before that controversy.)

I'm reminded of when they did that episode on Scientology, and Tom Cruise allegedly threw a bitch fit and CC (owned by Viacom, who also owns Paramount, Cruise's studio at the time) didn't re-air that episode for a good long time. Then he left Paramount, and the episode came back.

Of course I think as much as Stone/Parker like to tease Mormonism, at least they find some merits to it. (If I remember in the SOUTH PARK universe, only Mormons go to Heaven.) Contrast that with Scientology, which they found zero merit in that bullshit.

Besides that certain PARK episode which deconstructed the Mormon origin story, people always forget that ending.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull