GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 205 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,519
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,967
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,348
Posts1,059,046
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
movie vs. book #48186
04/16/02 01:26 AM
04/16/02 01:26 AM
Holy See
ibidperez Offline OP
Wiseguy
ibidperez  Offline OP
Wiseguy
Holy See
What's the difference between the movie and the book?

Death be not proud, though some have called thee Might and dreadful, for thou art not so... One short sleep past, we wake eternally, and death shall be no more: Death, thou shalt die.
Re: movie vs. book #48187
04/16/02 04:48 AM
04/16/02 04:48 AM
geelong, australia
injektilo* Offline
wizard of aus
injektilo*  Offline
wizard of aus
Underboss
geelong, australia
What are you getting at? Do you mean what parts of the book are not in the film and vice versa?

Well,

The Godfather (Part 1) is based closely on the book. However, said that, all flash back about the young Vito are all filmed in GF2. The entire story about Lucy Mancini (Sonny's lover) and Jules Segal (Doctor) and her, uhh, problems are not mentioned at all during the trilogy.

Nino Valenti (Johnny Fontane's friend) is not mentioned in the movie, although he plays a large role in the book.

There are many other small references, most of which I cannot remember now, that are ommitted from the movie. Eg.

The story about Luca Brasi and that poor baby.

Tom Hagen going to speak to Kay, without Michaels knowledge, to bring her back to the family.

Jules Segal fixing Johnny Fontanes voice and Michaels facial scar.

A better explanation of the Bocchicchio family.

The story of Al Neri joining the Corleone family.

Kay being questioned by the police over the dissapearence of Michael after Sollozzo's murder.

More about Johnny Fontane and his (estranged) wife.

Well, that's a start anyway. Hope that is what you were looking for!

Re: movie vs. book #48188
04/16/02 07:30 AM
04/16/02 07:30 AM
France
donfabrizio Offline
Button
donfabrizio  Offline
Button
France
WOW !!!!

And i tought i was a fan...

Thanks for all the explanations man... i'm impress. Tht's why i have to ask you :

Are you in the mafia ?

lol

Re: movie vs. book #48189
04/16/02 09:10 AM
04/16/02 09:10 AM
The Last Don Offline
Made Member
The Last Don  Offline
Made Member
injektilo, where did u get your novel from?
ill have 2 read the godfather novel
tongue tongue

im a fan and i havnt read the book mad mad

"You go to law courts and wait for months. You spend money on lawyers who know full well you are to be made a fool of. You accept judgement from a judge who sells himself like the worst whore in the streets. Years gone by when you needed money, you went to banks and paid ruinous interest, waited hat in hand like a beggar while they sniffed around, poked their noses up your very asshole to make sure you could pay them back" Don Corleone to Bonasera from Godfather Novel
Re: movie vs. book #48190
04/16/02 09:17 AM
04/16/02 09:17 AM
geelong, australia
injektilo* Offline
wizard of aus
injektilo*  Offline
wizard of aus
Underboss
geelong, australia
Actually I only watched the Godfather for the first time this year! I watched each of the three movies once, went straight out and bought the book the next day, read it in a week, and bought the DVD boxset the next week. So it has been a short but fruitful ride!

WHAT DID I DO FOR ALL THOSE YEARS BEFORE???????

I'm still wondering.

I bought my book from my local department store. But I'm sure you could find it at Amazon Books.

I keep mine on my desk, to use it for cross referencing and looking up quotes etc whilst posting. I am starting to reread it now. I find an accurate knowledge of both book and movies is needed for posting here! The standard is high!

Mind you, check out some of the other posters here - I am in awe of a few!!!

So too sum up - READ THE BOOK!!!!

And yes I am in the mafia - I am a Made Member for a small Mafia group lead by Don Malta.

grin

Re: movie vs. book #48191
04/16/02 01:41 PM
04/16/02 01:41 PM
Born on the Bayou
Saladbar Offline
Underboss
Saladbar  Offline
Underboss
Born on the Bayou
few more off the top of my head:

*Woltz was a real pedaphile (hinted strongly during GF cut scenes however).
*Hagen and Sonny were older.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it"
Re: movie vs. book #48192
04/16/02 02:17 PM
04/16/02 02:17 PM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline
Underboss
Netherlands
I think there are a few other things to mention. The Godfather 3 is totally not based on the book!

And there are some scenes in the Godfather you can only see when you have the trilogy set. In the book you read about Genco Abbanando. Former Consigliori of Vito and a old friend. In the letterbox version you don't see this, but in the trilogy set you will!

Re: movie vs. book #48193
04/16/02 03:07 PM
04/16/02 03:07 PM
Southeast USA
Don Vanchenzo Offline
Capo
Don Vanchenzo  Offline
Capo
Southeast USA
[Linked Image]

I must concur. The novel puts the movies in greater perspective. For a lot of fun, get the italian version and translate it. My wife got the italian version in paperback (I really want it in hardback like my english copy) and I had a ball. It really flows much better as it holds more of the sicillian dialect than the english version. orange

"The Godfather was a man to whom everybody came for help and never were they disappointed. He made no empty promises, nor the craven excuse that his hands were tied by more powerful forces in the world than himself. It was not necessary that he be your friend, it was not even important that you had no means with which to repay him. Only one thing was required. That you, yourself, proclaim your friendship. And then, no matter how poor or powerless the supplicant, the Godfather would take that person's troubles to his heart. He would let nothing stand in the way to a solution of that person's woe. His reward? Friendship, the respectful title 'Don' and sometimes the more affectionate salutation of 'Godfather.' Perhaps, to show respect only, never for profit, some humble gift - a gallon or homemade wine or a basket of fresh baked goods on a holiday. It was understood to proclaim that you were in his debt and that he had the right to call upon you at any time to redeem the debt by some small service." -- Mario Puzo, The Godfather (1969).
Re: movie vs. book #48194
04/17/02 08:28 AM
04/17/02 08:28 AM
The Last Don Offline
Made Member
The Last Don  Offline
Made Member
im reading the book tonite grin grin grin grin grin
well the start of it grin

"You go to law courts and wait for months. You spend money on lawyers who know full well you are to be made a fool of. You accept judgement from a judge who sells himself like the worst whore in the streets. Years gone by when you needed money, you went to banks and paid ruinous interest, waited hat in hand like a beggar while they sniffed around, poked their noses up your very asshole to make sure you could pay them back" Don Corleone to Bonasera from Godfather Novel
Re: movie vs. book #48195
04/17/02 08:42 AM
04/17/02 08:42 AM
sthlm, Sweden
Alberto_Neri Offline
Capo
Alberto_Neri  Offline
Capo
sthlm, Sweden
There's also a ministory about McClusky and how he followed his fathers footsteps to become a police...

"After all, we're not communists"
- Barzini
Re: movie vs. book #48196
04/17/02 01:16 PM
04/17/02 01:16 PM
Chicago
Daniel Corleone Offline
Underboss
Daniel Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Chicago
The Al Capone?Luca Brasi parts are in the book as well [Linked Image]

"Life is so beatiful" - Don Vito in The Godfather novel
"My name is Michael Corleone...There are people who'd pay a lot of money for that information" - The Godfather
Re: movie vs. book #48197
04/19/02 09:10 AM
04/19/02 09:10 AM
geelong, australia
injektilo* Offline
wizard of aus
injektilo*  Offline
wizard of aus
Underboss
geelong, australia
It's only minor, but I am watching GF1 now.

In the book, Kay goes to see Mama Corleone and discovers that Michael has been back six months. In the movie Michael goes to see Kay at school and tells him he has been back a year.

i find this an interesting contrast. In the movie Michael is descent enough to go to see Kay. In the book, she has to track him down.

Is there a reason for this, or is Michael just a bit more heartless in the book?

confused

Re: movie vs. book #48198
04/19/02 02:32 PM
04/19/02 02:32 PM
Big Daddy Don Offline
Sugar Daddy
Big Daddy Don  Offline
Sugar Daddy
Underboss
In regards to the story of Luca in the book, I keep hearing about this, but have not read the book. Can someone please explain what this 'horrific' deed was done by Luca to make him so feared ?

I could buy and read the book, but that would require effort - and I am lazy.

Re: movie vs. book #48199
04/19/02 02:35 PM
04/19/02 02:35 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Among other things, he threw his own newborn child into an incinerator. I didn't read the book either, I know about it from this board. There are other horrific acts of Luca's that have been mentioned, but don't recall them....am sure somebody will help us out.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: movie vs. book #48200
04/19/02 06:25 PM
04/19/02 06:25 PM
Indiana
D
Don Munoz Offline
Button
Don Munoz  Offline
D
Button
Indiana
He tortured two of Al Capones men by slowly hacking away at one of them with an ax starting at the feet. The other died because he was scared and choked on a rag that was in his mouth.

"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone."
- Al Capone (1899-1947)
Re: movie vs. book #48201
04/19/02 07:32 PM
04/19/02 07:32 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Moved from Godfather Trilogy forum...

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: movie vs. book #48202
04/19/02 09:18 PM
04/19/02 09:18 PM
The Last Don Offline
Made Member
The Last Don  Offline
Made Member
theres alot more sexual content in the book

TLD (the last don)

Re: movie vs. book #48203
04/19/02 09:38 PM
04/19/02 09:38 PM
State Asylum
Snake Offline
Underboss
Snake  Offline
Underboss
State Asylum
Yeah. Nothin' to write home about, though. frown

"Vaya con Dios, Castle. Go with God."
"God's going to sit this one out." The Punisher (2004)
Re: movie vs. book #48204
04/20/02 12:16 PM
04/20/02 12:16 PM
Chicago
Daniel Corleone Offline
Underboss
Daniel Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Chicago
Originally posted by The Last Don:
theres alot more sexual content in the book

TLD (the last don)
Yeah very explicit details (in Sonny's, Nino and Johnny Fontane's case).

"My name is Michael Corleone...There are people who'd pay a lot of money for that information" - The Godfather
Re: movie vs. book #48205
04/21/02 01:12 PM
04/21/02 01:12 PM
State Asylum
Snake Offline
Underboss
Snake  Offline
Underboss
State Asylum
While the novel gives rich insight into the characters, I'd rather just enjoy the movie. As I've stated on other posts, the book has too many non-essential sub-plots which I find distracting (e.g., Lucy and the doctor, Nino, etc.). Conversely, the movie is a stand-alone classic!

"Vaya con Dios, Castle. Go with God."
"God's going to sit this one out." The Punisher (2004)
Re: movie vs. book #48206
04/21/02 10:53 PM
04/21/02 10:53 PM
Upstate New York
Ricardo Offline
Underboss
Ricardo  Offline
Underboss
Upstate New York
Perhaps the biggest differences are Al Neri kills Fabrizzio and Moe Greene.

Kay leaves Mike before Lake Tahoe

and while there's about 35 pages devoted to pre-1945, there's NOTHING about Ciccio. Fanucci is the same, but the Ciccio/Antonio ANdolini/Paolo/Strollo/Mosca idea was all FFC's idea. Some thigns are changed for the movie. For intsance in the book ONLY Maranzano is there, but In uzo's GF4 script Maranzano is there, and masseria is aded into the movie.

There aren't Gf2 boks and GF3 books! I'm surprised newbies who don't know Puzo died, ddon't ask when the fourth book comes out!

Hyman Roth/Frank pentangelli/Johnny Ola/Vincent Mancini were supposedly with the Corleone Family all along but where created for the movies, Altobello and Vincenzo Pentangelli as well.

Speaking of Movie vs. Book, in the Sicilian, the Corleone/Andolini plot is totally gone from the movie, Most names are changed, there isa little boy who is a Capo/Sergeant WTF?

I finally saw the last Don and Last Don 2 (Thank you Blockbuster) and am the proud owner of 5 Last Don tapes (Thank you MediaPlay).

The Movies are 5 starst GREAT and don't differ MUCH from the novel.

Parts were added to the movie pre-1985 that are Amzing and fit the story perfecly, perhaps puzo left them out only to be added alter in the script!

As long as Puzo writes the script not much will be changed.

FFC only change a LITTLe of GF1, he came up with the Ciccio/Andolini plotline, and Senza Mamma in GF2. He changed Puzo's Script and rewrote most of GF3. The Sicilian script was changed VERY much, last Don wasn't changed too muc, and the sequel is like something Puzo would have writte himslf!

I can't wait for the Finale!

Omerta and The family are coming to Movies in the next 5 years we'll see how they are.

I bet The Family will be changed for historical purposes etc., but Omerta should basically tick to the book.

There was a TV movie for The Fortunate Pilgrim in 1987 I'll never find t tho.

Re: movie vs. book #48207
04/24/02 06:18 PM
04/24/02 06:18 PM
Chicago
Daniel Corleone Offline
Underboss
Daniel Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Chicago
Originally posted by Snake:
While the novel gives rich insight into the characters, I'd rather just enjoy the movie. As I've stated on other posts, the book has too many non-essential sub-plots which I find distracting (e.g., Lucy and the doctor, Nino, etc.). Conversely, the movie is a stand-alone classic!
I totally agree. The names on the book are endless (and sometimes confusing, lol). Its characters are more descriptive (even the five families and other Dons in the meeting). The movie is a classic. [Linked Image]

Re: movie vs. book #48208
05/01/02 05:28 AM
05/01/02 05:28 AM
UK
Family Honour Offline
Underboss
Family Honour  Offline
Underboss
UK
Are there different book versions.Longer/shorter?
I've read the book but still see refences to stuff outta the book and think 'no, I never saw that in my book'
Or should I just forget about it?

Re: movie vs. book #48209
05/01/02 10:15 AM
05/01/02 10:15 AM
Upstate New York
Ricardo Offline
Underboss
Ricardo  Offline
Underboss
Upstate New York
Originally posted by Family Honour:
Are there different book versions.Longer/shorter?
I've read the book but still see refences to stuff outta the book and think 'no, I never saw that in my book'
Or should I just forget about it?
I wonder about that too.

Some people may have heard Joe mantegna read The Godfather on Audio tapes.

I first saw the movies, then heard the audio, THEn read the book.

The Audio tapes include the early yeas of Gf2, before GF1, but No Fontane/Nino/Lucy/Deanna/Jules, they contain the Neri chapter, more on Luca Brasi, and Fabrizzio's death, but other than that, they go by the movie, prety much. Except for Moe greene is killed by Neri right after the meeting in Vegas, ONLY Fabri/Tessio/Carlo/Barzini/Tattaglia die at the end!

Re: movie vs. book #48210
05/01/02 04:15 PM
05/01/02 04:15 PM
UK
Family Honour Offline
Underboss
Family Honour  Offline
Underboss
UK
Some people may have heard Joe mantegna read The Godfather on Audio tapes.

I first saw the movies, then heard the audio, THEn read the book.

The Audio tapes include the early yeas of Gf2, before GF1, but No Fontane/Nino/Lucy/Deanna/Jules, they contain the Neri chapter, more on Luca Brasi, and Fabrizzio's death, but other than that, they go by the movie, prety much. Except for Moe greene is killed by Neri right after the meeting in Vegas, ONLY Fabri/Tessio/Carlo/Barzini/Tattaglia die at the end![/QB][/QUOTE]

Well I just got hold of the audio tapes, should be interesting listening and comparing. smile

Re: movie vs. book #48211
03/11/04 02:12 AM
03/11/04 02:12 AM
manila
Augusto Offline
Wiseguy
Augusto  Offline
Wiseguy
manila
Originally posted by injektilo:
It's only minor, but I am watching GF1 now.

In the book, Kay goes to see Mama Corleone and discovers that Michael has been back six months. In the movie Michael goes to see Kay at school and tells him he has been back a year.

i find this an interesting contrast. In the movie Michael is descent enough to go to see Kay. In the book, she has to track him down.

Is there a reason for this, or is Michael just a bit more heartless in the book?

confused
in the book michael explained why he didn't sought after kay. He said that he didn't know or he was in doubt if kay would still take him back because its been 2 years since they last saw each other. Michael is not heartless in the book, he was just in doubt on wheter or not he will come and see kay. in the movie, i think the probable reason why michael came to see kay and not vice-versa is because the film wanted to show how much michael loves kay and confident that she would take him back.
But how apathetic is he on the death of his first wife?,realy? now im curious about that, why didn't michael, in the book or in the film, mourned for his wife's death in italy? he was "struck by lightning" wasn't he? something he didn't feel about kay, but why wasn't there a funeral or something? And to show how unaffected he is about this, in the movie, he goes straight for kay.
But maybe in the novel he didn't come to see kay because he is still thinking of his italian wife? plus the factor of doubt.
i dont know... am i making sense?..haha

"i'll reason with him"
Re: movie vs. book #48212
03/27/04 11:26 AM
03/27/04 11:26 AM
juventus Offline
Underboss
juventus  Offline
Underboss
Mario Puzo maked a big mistake in the Godfather (the book).
He confused Maranzano and Masseria.
The man in the book (and in the film) that he called Maranzala was in real life Maranzano.

The man he called Maranzano in the book was in real life Masseria.

But maybe anyone can explain my story better cause English is not my first language..

'This was just another Bronx tale.'
Re: movie vs. book #48213
03/29/04 10:47 PM
03/29/04 10:47 PM
Holy See
ibidperez Offline OP
Wiseguy
ibidperez  Offline OP
Wiseguy
Holy See
Originally posted by juventus:
Mario Puzo maked a big mistake in the Godfather (the book).
He confused Maranzano and Masseria.
The man in the book (and in the film) that he called Maranzala was in real life Maranzano.

The man he called Maranzano in the book was in real life Masseria.

But maybe anyone can explain my story better cause English is not my first language..
How do you know that Mario made a mistake?
Did you know Mario Puzo personally?
What if he really intended to use "Maranzano" instead of "Masseria", and "Maranzala" instead of "Maranzano?

Correct me if I am wrong ; but, unless you knew Mario Puzo personally, and you knew what he was thinking when he wrote the book, then you can say that he made a "big mistake".

Death be not proud, though some have called thee Might and dreadful, for thou art not so... One short sleep past, we wake eternally, and death shall be no more: Death, thou shalt die.
Re: movie vs. book #48214
03/30/04 03:51 PM
03/30/04 03:51 PM
juventus Offline
Underboss
juventus  Offline
Underboss
Yeah I know him personally... wink
But I think it's a mistake. Nothing is 100% sure but you know it's most likely it's a mistake.
It was only not a big mistake. It was a little mistake. I only think... of course

'This was just another Bronx tale.'
Re: movie vs. book #48215
03/31/04 01:28 AM
03/31/04 01:28 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
We don't know what Puzo intended when he chose his characters for the novel. But he was describing the real-life "Castellemmarese War" of 1930-31. It is a fact that the man he pictured as Vito's foe, "Salvatore Maranzano," was, in real life, Joe (the Boss) Masseria. Masseria operated in Manhattan, and tried to make an alliance with Capone. The real-life Salvatore Maranzano operated in Brooklyn. What's more, in real life, Maranzano had Masseria killed in a Brooklyn restaurant--just as Puzo described Vito leaving "Maranzano" dead in a Brooklyn restaurant.

You might be interested to know how, in real life, Maranzano outsmarted Masseria: Charlie (Lucky) Luciano was one of Masseria's top men. Maranzano flattered, cajoled, and eventually tortured Luciano into betraying his boss, Masseria. Luciano invited Masseria to have lunch and play cards in a Brooklyn restaurant. Then Luciano excused himself to go to the men's room. While he was there, three shooters entered the restaurant and riddled Masseria with bullets, leaving him dead with the ace of spades in his hand. The shooters were recruited by Luciano's boyhood friend, Meyer Lansky. The shooters were Benjamin (Bugsy) Siegel, Lansky's partner; Abraham (Bo) Weinberg, Dutch Shultz's top gun; and Guiuseppe (Joe Adonis) Doto.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull