GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Malavita), 269 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,445
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,848
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,509
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,312
Posts1,058,402
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Organized Crime in Chicago: Beyond the Mafia #710436
04/13/13 11:36 PM
04/13/13 11:36 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline OP
IvyLeague  Offline OP
I

Q&A with Organized Crime in Chicago author Robert M. Lombardo
University of Illinois Press
February 4, 2013

Robert M. Lombardo is an associate professor of criminal justice at Loyola University Chicago and a former Chicago Police officer. He answered our questions about his new book Organized Crime in Chicago: Beyond the Mafia.

Q: What is your definition of organized crime?

Lombardo: I use the term organized crime to define the political corruption that afforded protection to gambling, prostitution, and other vice activity in large American cities from the second half of the nineteenth century until the end of the twentieth century.

Q: Conventional wisdom traces the roots of organized crime in large U.S. urban centers to the Sicilian mafia. What’s wrong with this paradigm?

Lombardo: Tracing organized crime to the South of Italy ignores the historical record. Organized crime in Chicago existed before Italian immigration, and it existed in Chicago’s black community independent of Italian participation for a period of almost 50 years. Additionally, much of the information upon which this “importation” model is based comes from popular, non academic sources.

Q: When did reports of organized crime first surface in Chicago?

Lombardo: In 1873 Michael Cassius McDonald organized Chicago’s saloon and gambling interests into “Mike McDonald’s Democrats,” and elected their own candidate, Harvey Colvin, Mayor of Chicago. With Colvin in office, McDonald organized the first criminal syndicate in Chicago composed of both gamblers and compliant politicians.

Q: Al Capone is synonymous with “Chicago mafia.” Are there more influential figures about which the general public is unaware?

Lombardo: Mike McDonald for sure, but also Chicago Mayor Ed Kelly. Kelly “franchised” all vice activity in Chicago to the Capone Syndicate during the 1940s.

Q: Do related crime syndicates still operate in Chicago today?

Lombardo: There may be some bookmakers and old-time gangsters still around, but traditional organized crime in Chicago is largely a thing of the past. The Chicago Outfit as the progeny of the old Capone Syndicate is almost dead. They have been destroyed by law-enforcement efforts.

Q: What was the most interesting thing that you learned while researching the book?

Lombardo: What I found most interesting was the untold story of Lt. Joe Morris and the Chicago Police Scotland Yard detail under Mayor Kennelly. Had they not been disbanded by Richard J. Daley, they would have drove the Chicago Outfit out of town.

http://www.press.uillinois.edu/wordpress/?p=11240

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Organized Crime in Chicago: Beyond the Mafia [Re: IvyLeague] #710437
04/13/13 11:52 PM
04/13/13 11:52 PM
Nuevo Mexico
Vigil Offline
Capo
Vigil  Offline
Capo
Nuevo Mexico
Interesting post.

*** il capo di tutti capi ***

"You'll never meet another guy like me if you live to be 5, 000." -John Gotti
Re: Organized Crime in Chicago: Beyond the Mafia [Re: IvyLeague] #716486
05/20/13 03:37 AM
05/20/13 03:37 AM
E
elmwoodparker Offline
Made Member
elmwoodparker  Offline
E
Made Member
Traditional Organized Crime in Chicago is mostly a thing of the past. That was the author's statement which must have made Ivy happy since it's his mission in life to prove somehow, someway, that the Outfit is basically a thing of the past and the 5 New York Families are more powerful than God. Well, the author is not all wrong. However, He is not all correct either because he doesn't understand HOW the Outfit has changed. The Loan Sharking Racket is different because now things are put up as collateral instead of only a guys eyeballs. Bookmaking still is widespread and largely controlled by the Outfit. However, what's changed is that when a bettor can't pay he is cut off which really hurts the compulsive gambler. in addition, many times the money is now put up front instead of only by credit. Also, the offshore bookmaking is partially controlled by the Outfit which is basically legit. Poker machines in themselves are not illegal and are around Chicago. The Outfit simply doesn't use violence to eliminate any competition. The local police simply close down the individual who has a non Outfit poker machine or the Outfit ignores the competition. What Mike Sarno did years ago (Bombing) was stupid and not sanctioned by DiFronzo. That's why he was basically on his own with his legal troubles. There's plenty of Union & City Activity going on in Chicago involving Bids concerning construction, Office Cleaning etc. which are legit and more like white collar organized Crime. Is old traditional Organized Crime almost dead in Chicago. No, it's just changed and also evolved into more of a white collar way of doing it.

Re: Organized Crime in Chicago: Beyond the Mafia [Re: IvyLeague] #716590
05/20/13 05:51 PM
05/20/13 05:51 PM
C
ChiTown Offline
WestTown
ChiTown  Offline
WestTown
C
Underboss
The Outfit has also become predominantly intermarried. It is very difficult to get close to these guys if you are not related to them in some way. But just because they aren't being indicted every few months doesn't mean they have went away.

Re: Organized Crime in Chicago: Beyond the Mafia [Re: IvyLeague] #716611
05/20/13 08:06 PM
05/20/13 08:06 PM
E
elmwoodparker Offline
Made Member
elmwoodparker  Offline
E
Made Member
This refers to Lombardo's article: 'Drove the Outfit out of town' First of all it's 'Driven' not Drove. Secondly, Driving the Outfit out of town would have been like trying to freeze hell.

Last edited by elmwoodparker; 05/20/13 08:09 PM.
Re: Organized Crime in Chicago: Beyond the Mafia [Re: elmwoodparker] #716734
05/21/13 11:43 AM
05/21/13 11:43 AM
Illinois
F_white Offline
Underboss
F_white  Offline
Underboss
Illinois
Chicago change with the times.

From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn.

Re: Organized Crime in Chicago: Beyond the Mafia [Re: IvyLeague] #717280
05/25/13 02:32 PM
05/25/13 02:32 PM
F
friscosouthsidechicago Offline
Associate
friscosouthsidechicago  Offline
F
Associate
It always interest me when school professors (college)do research and come up more myth than fact. I lived a stones throw from Scotland Yard's boarded-up headquarters at 2075 Canal Port and knew some of the "Yard Men". Yes, I'M THAT OLD (BORN 1931). The Yard didn't have the man power to halt the operations of the Outfit. R. J. Daley disbanded THE UNIT IN 1956 because they bugged the hotel that had the Democratic headquarters. I guessed he feared "something"?

Re: Organized Crime in Chicago: Beyond the Mafia [Re: friscosouthsidechicago] #726570
07/14/13 09:20 PM
07/14/13 09:20 PM
S
sithregime Offline
Associate
sithregime  Offline
S
Associate
I live two doors away from the former Scotland Yard hq and have just found out about it and found your reply in my research. This is one of the most fascinating things I've discovered.

Re: Organized Crime in Chicago: Beyond the Mafia [Re: IvyLeague] #734099
08/13/13 04:47 AM
08/13/13 04:47 AM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
I have a lot of issues with Lombardo's take on the Outfit and other aspects of OC history. Elsewhere he called the Black Hand an example of mass hysteria, a social panic. If you read the papers from the early 1900s when this was going on, the Black Handers were called terrorists. They kidnapped children and bombed houses. They were callous cold-hearted murderers who didn't care who they went after. For the victims of the Black Hand it was not just some social panic.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull