GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 267 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,323
Posts1,058,596
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Pope Francis the First [Re: Signor Vitelli] #702793
03/14/13 09:12 AM
03/14/13 09:12 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
Most all I have to say has already been voiced by other posters.

But still, I wish the new Pope had been someone younger. From what I heard on the news this evening, those who are close to him say he has already been slowed by age.

He's 76. Will there be a new conclave within just a few years?

I honestly thought the Cardinals might go for someone just a little bit younger this time around (like, under 70...).

Signor V.

I too was hoping for a little younger Pope. Did you know that Pope Francis only has one lung? I don't know the details except he's had one lung for many years. He appears to be in good health but geez, that's not a good sign. confused

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Pope Francis the First [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #702795
03/14/13 09:25 AM
03/14/13 09:25 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Did you know that Pope Francis only has one lung? I don't know the details except he's had one lung for many years. He appears to be in good health but geez, that's not a good sign. confused

TIS

Some medical experts weighed in on the issue of the pope having one lung, and the overall opinion was that if the condition hadn't adversely affected him from his early teenage years to age 76, it's likely that it won't manifest into a problem for him.

Re: Pope Francis the First [Re: Signor Vitelli] #702796
03/14/13 09:27 AM
03/14/13 09:27 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli

I honestly thought the Cardinals might go for someone just a little bit younger this time around
Signor V.

I agree. Their roster is aging, especially in the outfield and starting rotation, but I'm still not counting them out in the National League. smile

Re: Pope Francis the First [Re: RichieAnimal] #702816
03/14/13 10:51 AM
03/14/13 10:51 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: RichieAnimal
Before I left his room I put him into a bigger deeper sleep.

Are you telling me, you killed him?

Re: Pope Francis the First [Re: pizzaboy] #702818
03/14/13 11:02 AM
03/14/13 11:02 AM
Brooklyn
R
RichieAnimal Offline
Capo
RichieAnimal  Offline
R
Capo
Brooklyn
No

Only the unloved hate
Re: Pope Francis [Re: Danito] #702823
03/14/13 11:33 AM
03/14/13 11:33 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Danito
Do we get a new Santa Claus too?

Is that necessary? rolleyes

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Pope Francis the First [Re: klydon1] #702825
03/14/13 11:39 AM
03/14/13 11:39 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: klydon1
By the way, the title of the thread is a little off. The Pope will be known as Pope Francis. He will only be referred to as Francis the First after a subsequent pope adopts the name Francis II.

Yeah, I kinda jumped the gun there, Klyd. But in my defense, that's just what CNN flashed in their original headline. But I should have thought it through after almost twenty years of Catholic schooling blush.

And I'm very aware of the Jesuit thing, having gone to Fordham and all. And I, too, am surprised that this was the first Pope Francis. Francis of Assisi is one of the biggest icons in the Church. But that aside, the Franciscan Order is so influential that it's just hard to believe.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Pope Francis the First [Re: pizzaboy] #702834
03/14/13 11:47 AM
03/14/13 11:47 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Yo, Frank-eeee!

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Pope Francis the First [Re: pizzaboy] #702842
03/14/13 11:56 AM
03/14/13 11:56 AM
California

California
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
By the way, the title of the thread is a little off. The Pope will be known as Pope Francis. He will only be referred to as Francis the First after a subsequent pope adopts the name Francis II.

Yeah, I kinda jumped the gun there, Klyd. But in my defense, that's just what CNN flashed in their original headline. But I should have thought it through after almost twenty years of Catholic schooling blush.

And I'm very aware of the Jesuit thing, having gone to Fordham and all. And I, too, am surprised that this was the first Pope Francis. Francis of Assisi is one of the biggest icons in the Church. But that aside, the Franciscan Order is so influential that it's just hard to believe.

I was wondering whether he'd be "called" the "1st". I am surprised he is the first one to choose the name "Francis".

Btw does anyone know what name has been chosen the most? Pope John XXIII comes to mind. confused

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Pope Francis the First [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #702851
03/14/13 12:23 PM
03/14/13 12:23 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Btw does anyone know what name has been chosen the most? Pope John XXIII comes to mind. confused

Correct - John it is.

Here is an interesting article from The Newark Star-Ledger about papal names:

What's in a name? New pope Jorge Mario Bergoglio selects Francis as papal name

By Caleb Bell
Religion News Service

Once Jorge Mario Bergoglio was elected as the new leader of the Catholic Church, he had a big initial decision to make: what his new papal name would be.

Bergoglio chose Francis as his new name, the first pope to select that moniker.

Choosing a new name is a decision that's tied up in history, tradition and more than a little symbolic value.

In papal tradition, newly elected pontiffs choose a name to identify themselves during their reigns. The tradition has been around for centuries, even though no law or rule requires that a pope pick a new name.

Chester Gillis, a professor of theology at Georgetown University, said that the pope's choice of name offers an early indicator of what his papacy might be like.

"The pope's choice will reflect his own personal spirituality, but he knows it will send a political message," Gillis said.

Gillis said the pope's new name could also indicate the theological direction he wants to take during his reign. Popes usually choose names to honor a predecessor or to symbolically link their reigns with that of a past pontiff.

"Whatever name is chosen, there will be spiritual logic to it," said Michele Dillon, a Catholic scholar at the University of New Hampshire. "There's a pattern whereby the pope takes the name of someone who was spiritually significant to that person."

Benedict XVII was an unlikely choice because it could have caused confusion between the current pope and the pope emeritus, Benedict XVI.

There was a chance the new pope could have adopted the name John XXIV due to the Catholic Church's emphasis on "new evangelization." Pope John XXIII is already on the path to sainthood, is known as "Good Pope John" and was a revolutionary figure who convened the Second Vatican Council (1962-1965) that modernized the church.

Benedict XVI took the name of Benedict XV, who guided the Catholic Church through World War I. "Treading in his footsteps, I would like to place my ministry at the service of reconciliation and harmony between persons and peoples," Benedict XVI said in his first general audience.

Benedict XVI also sought to honor St. Benedict, a major influence in early European Christianity.

Cardinal Karol Wojtyla became John Paul II in 1978 to honor his short-lived predecessor John Paul I, who had picked his name from his two immediate predecessors, John XXIII and Paul VI.

Adopting a papal name became common in the 10th century, though there are examples of popes changing their names centuries before.

John II was the first pope to change his name, in 533. His birth name was Mercury, but in order to avoid naming a pagan god the head of the Holy See, he changed it.

The last pope to use his own birth name was Marcellus II in 1555.

One name, however, is off-limits: Peter is considered sacrosanct in honor of the first pope, who tradition holds was also the longest-serving.

Here's a list of the most popular papal names:

1. John (23)
2. Benedict (16)
3. Gregory (16)
4. Clement (14)
5. Leo (13)
6. Innocent (13)
7. Pius (12)
8. Stephen (9, although some debate 10)
9. Boniface (9)
10. Alexander and Urban (tied at 8 each)

The 10 Most Unique Papal Names

1. Telesphorus (c. 125-136 A.D.)
2. Eleutherius (c. 174-189 A.D.)
3. Zephyrinus (198-217 A.D.)
4. Eutychian (275-283 A.D.)
5. Miltiades (311-314 A.D.)
6. Hormisdas (514-523 A.D.)
7. Zosimus (417-418 A.D.)
8. Symmachus (498-514 A.D.)
9. Simplicius (468-483 A.D.)
10. Vigilius (537-555 A.D.)

That last Top Ten list sounds like it should be read by David Letterman!

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Pope Francis the First [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #702852
03/14/13 12:27 PM
03/14/13 12:27 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Well, as someone said we should hardly expected a "Blue State Pope." I am sure they will evolve on women's and gay issues, celibacy, birth control and abortion someday but not in the near future.

My first impression of him was favorable. I liked him dismissing the prissy aides telling him what to say, and I liked his request that the crown in St. eter's have a moment of silence before he blessed them. His track record of living simply, riding the bus to work, and doing away with all the frills Benedict liked so much is a good symbolic start.

One hopes he sweeps the curia clean, opens up on the child molestation issue, and maybe sells off some of the Vatican treasure to reubild parishes and schools that have had to close over the years. He should also use the Church's wealth to compensate all te abuse victims because the average catholic should not be putting money in the collection plate to further the cover up. He also needs transparence with the Vatican Bank.

Benedict XVI will go down as the George W. Bush of popes.

And BTW I think the most popes are named John, and I think Leo is a close second.

So now we have had two "firsts" in our lifetimes as Popes. John Paul I and now Francis I.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Pope Francis the First [Re: Signor Vitelli] #702858
03/14/13 12:33 PM
California

California
Interesting SV. I never heard of even one of the most "unique" Pope names, confirming just how unique I guess. lol

Btw, I did NOT know (or if I learned it in Catholic School, I don't remember it) that Peter was off limits as a Pope name. As a matter of fact, I remember years ago, some saying that the last Pope would be named Peter, indicating the end of days. Blows that theory. LOL

smile
TIS

Re: Pope Francis the First [Re: dontomasso] #702859
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Isnt there some kind of superstition that if a pope takes the Name Peter it will be the end of the world?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Pope Francis the First [Re: dontomasso] #702860
03/14/13 12:35 PM
03/14/13 12:35 PM
California

California
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Isnt there some kind of superstition that if a pope takes the Name Peter it will be the end of the world?

DT,

I think our posts crossed. See my last post. smile I heard the same.

TIS

Re: Pope Francis the First [Re: pizzaboy] #702876
03/14/13 01:16 PM
03/14/13 01:16 PM
H
ht2 Offline
Capo
ht2  Offline
H
Capo

Kind of interesting he chose Francis of Assisi rather than Francis Xavier, co-founder of the Jesuits. Francis of Assisi is more about simplicity and going back to basics.

Re: Pope Francis the First [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #702888
03/14/13 02:01 PM
03/14/13 02:01 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

DT,

They did. We are both products of Catholic school!

TIS

Re: Pope Francis the First [Re: ht2] #702889
03/14/13 02:03 PM
03/14/13 02:03 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: ht2

Kind of interesting he chose Francis of Assisi rather than Francis Xavier, co-founder of the Jesuits. Francis of Assisi is more about simplicity and going back to basics.

It is unclear which Francis he was choosing could be both since Xavier was a Jesuit. Francis of Assisi makes better copy which is why the journalists have gone with it. I mean why let the facts get in the way of a good story?

Re: Pope Francis [Re: pizzaboy] #702890
03/14/13 02:04 PM
03/14/13 02:04 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

PB there's always one, and unfortunately this one does it more than one would care to imagine.

Re: Pope Francis [Re: dontomasso] #702894
03/14/13 02:14 PM
03/14/13 02:14 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

PB there's always one, and unfortunately this one does it more than one would care to imagine.

Yeah, you're right, DT. He's anti-Christian, anti-capitalism, anti-western world in general. So I don't know why I'm surprised. It's just that I don't want to close another thread about the Pope or the Church. I'd hope that non Catholics/Believers would just shy away from posting at all, rather than post sarcasm. But I digress because he IS from the scumbag country who gave us Hitler and the Nazis rolleyes.

Re: Pope Francis the First [Re: dontomasso] #702895
03/14/13 02:15 PM
03/14/13 02:15 PM
California

California

DT,

They did. We are both products of Catholic school!

TIS

Well DT, don't know about you, but I'm relieved. I was worried this Pope would choose the name Peter. I'm just not quite ready to see the end yet. lol

TIS

Re: Pope Francis the First [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #702907
03/14/13 02:45 PM
03/14/13 02:45 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Lol Tis... I have a good story about this guy who delivers sandwiches to my office. He swore up and down that the world was going to end with the Mayan Calendar thing at the end of 2012. Every time he delivers a sandwich he goes off on some kind of rant (I think he did too much something in the 60's). During one of them he told me how he was going to make tens of millions of dollars on some scheme or another, and the kicker was he told me that he was going to pay me to set up all these trusts with the money. I stopped him and asked "Well, why not spend it since the world is coming to an end?" He was stumped.

Re: Pope Francis [Re: pizzaboy] #702909
03/14/13 02:59 PM
03/14/13 02:59 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss

Yeah, you're right, DT. He's anti-Christian, anti-capitalism, anti-western world in general. So I don't know why I'm surprised. It's just that I don't want to close another thread about the Pope or the Church. I'd hope that non Catholics/Believers would just shy away from posting at all, rather than post sarcasm. But I digress because he IS from the scumbag country who gave us Hitler and the Nazis rolleyes.

WTF- LETS NOT START NAME CALLING- Many good people come from Germany including our last POPE

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: Pope Francis the First [Re: pizzaboy] #702919
03/14/13 03:40 PM
03/14/13 03:40 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania

don't get down. I was calling him Francis I until I read that the number didn't apply. I think he'll be called that for a while. I too was surprised that nobody had taken the name Francis before. He's one of the really beloved saints.

And thanks for reminding me that you too are a Jesuit product. The Jesuits are scholarly, worldly, devout and have just a big enough streak of "Bad-ass" in them.

Re: Pope Francis the First [Re: dontomasso] #702922
03/14/13 03:51 PM
03/14/13 03:51 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: ht2

It is unclear which Francis he was choosing could be both since Xavier was a Jesuit. Francis of Assisi makes better copy which is why the journalists have gone with it. I mean why let the facts get in the way of a good story?

As I understand it, the name Francis refers directly to Francis of Assisi. Some church historians alluded to the belief that if the pope had sought to honor St. Francis Xavier (whom he no doubt holds in especially high regard, then he would have taken the name "Francis Xavier" as that saint has never been referred to as just Francis.

Re: Pope Francis the First [Re: Danito] #702963
03/14/13 06:34 PM
03/14/13 06:34 PM
Bamboo Lounge
NickyEyes1 Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
NickyEyes1  Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
Underboss
Bamboo Lounge

Start an athiest thread if you want. Don't write that on this thread

Re: Pope Francis the First [Re: NickyEyes1] #702968
03/14/13 06:45 PM
03/14/13 06:45 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: NickyEyes1

Start an athiest thread if you want. Don't write that on this thread

Thanks, Nicky.

That was my whole point. If you want to start a thread bashing the Church or mocking those who believe, go right ahead. You wouldn't catch me posting in it, that's for sure. But I'd hope that others would view this thread in the same fashion.

You don't like the Pope or the Church, hey, whatever floats your boat. But just do me a favor and leave it out of this thread or I'll just request that it be closed, and I don't want to do that AGAIN.

Re: Pope Francis the First [Re: klydon1] #702972
03/14/13 06:51 PM
03/14/13 06:51 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
The Jesuits are scholarly, worldly, devout and have just a big enough streak of "Bad-ass" in them.

That's us, Klyd. Devout and bad ass grin.

Re: Pope Francis the First [Re: pizzaboy] #703004
03/14/13 08:27 PM
03/14/13 08:27 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
The Jesuits are scholarly, worldly, devout and have just a big enough streak of "Bad-ass" in them.

That's us, Klyd. Devout and bad ass grin.

On Good Day NY this morning, they were interviewing a monsignor who was a friend of Pope Francis. One of the anchors, Greg Kelly, is a graduate of Fordham. When someone asked the monsignor what it will mean to the Church that he's a Jesuit, Greg Kelly jumped in and said, "It means he'll be a tough grader!" lol

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Pope Francis the First [Re: pizzaboy] #703014
03/14/13 08:36 PM
03/14/13 08:36 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Greg Kelly is also the son of Ray Kelly the NYPD boss.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: Pope Francis the First [Re: Dapper_Don] #703019
03/14/13 08:46 PM
03/14/13 08:46 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
Greg Kelly is also the son of Ray Kelly the NYPD boss.

Yes, he is, and he's pretty funny when his father's on the show. He tries to be professional, but once he asked his father for an exclusive, and the commissioner turned him down, and he said, "Fine! I'll just ask Mom. She tells me everything anyway."

Everything I've read and heard about Pope Francis makes me admire him more. While he may be a bit conservative for my taste, he is so genuine and warm. He truly seems to embrace the word of Christ and wants to be among the people. You have to love that.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull