GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, 1 invisible), 61 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,164
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,387
Posts1,059,820
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Early members #701833
03/09/13 04:36 PM
03/09/13 04:36 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline OP
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline OP
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
I know some of you guys have been posting since the early days of this site. But I noticed a lot of the early members who joined don't post anymore. What happened? As I understand it many have spoken of the 01-04 period where it was something of a golden age? Can any of the vets reflect on this?

"Don't ever go against the family again. Ever"- Michael Corleone
Re: Early members [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #701837
03/09/13 05:12 PM
03/09/13 05:12 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

People have always come and gone for whatever reason (college, work schedule, being pissed at someone lol, boredom, etc) but yeah, this was some place back in the day. While we had our characters then also, it was a much more mature (for lack of a better word) atmosphere. It's great that some have hung around 11.5 years, and it's always great when someone pops back in to say hello, but I think it boils down to one thing: how many times can the same arguments get rehashed?

There will always be newcomers who find the content "new" and exciting, while others got their fill and move on. I've done the same thing on other forums -- I'd be gungho in the beginning and never leave the site, then after a while something else catches my eye. A decade ago it was still "new" to everyone, and a decade later, it's new to newcomers. The ones who last are typically the ones who've made some true friendships on here. For a while we'd meet at least once/year for a weekend and it was a blast! That slowed down when the bad economy hit.

And I'd be remiss to not state that when Plawrence passed away, it left a hole that's been hard to recover from.

That's my 2c worth...

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Early members [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #701840
03/09/13 05:26 PM
03/09/13 05:26 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline OP
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline OP
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
Thanks for the insight Geoff. I enjoy your site a lot and I've engaged some pretty cool people. Btw something I also gotta ask. It says you were the 2nd member here, who's the first?

Re: Early members [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #701841
03/09/13 05:47 PM
03/09/13 05:47 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

The 1st "member" was taken by the software itself, so you have to subtract 1. I was first, SC was second.

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

Re: Early members [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #701845
03/09/13 06:00 PM
03/09/13 06:00 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline OP
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline OP
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
Alright cool. I was always confused by that. It's funny when you look back on it, 2001 was a different time period than it is now. A lot's happened since then. Hell I was only in middle school at the time. 13 years is a long time for a website.

Re: Early members [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #701853
03/09/13 06:47 PM
03/09/13 06:47 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

The good old days, i was the last of that era to join.. wink

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Early members [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #701871
03/09/13 07:34 PM
03/09/13 07:34 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Yes, some of the older members are no longer around. Of course, this is the Gangster BB.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Early members [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #701876
03/09/13 07:48 PM
03/09/13 07:48 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline OP
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline OP
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
Lol shouldve said 11 years. Not 13

Re: Early members [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #701880
03/09/13 08:29 PM
03/09/13 08:29 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Do you mean 12 years 2001-13.

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

Re: Early members [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #701883
03/09/13 08:44 PM
03/09/13 08:44 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline OP
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline OP
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
Geoff said 11.5 so that's probably it

Re: Early members [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #701897
03/09/13 11:18 PM
03/09/13 11:18 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I have met some great people here. I am very proud to count SC, DMC, JG and TIS among some of my closest friends. Over the many years, realize all of the things that we've shared - births, deaths, graduations, illnesses - and I'm always amazed at how I've come to count on these friendships. Although it's been many years since we all got together (I guess NJ was the last), I did get to have dinner with JG, TIS and Beth in NY a couple of years ago. And we do talk as often as our busy lives allow.

JG is right, though. Plaw's death was a terrible blow to those of us who loved him, and pretty much everybody loved him.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Early members [Re: DE NIRO] #701921
03/10/13 05:31 AM
03/10/13 05:31 AM
massachusetts
scarfacetm Offline
Underboss
scarfacetm  Offline
Underboss
massachusetts
Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
The good old days, i was the last of that era to join.. wink
I just noticed that when you said about that, i joined almost exactly a month before you, that's insane.

"Death is the answer to all problems. No man, no problem."

"I'd rather be hated for who i am, than loved for who i am not"
Re: Early members [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #701922
03/10/13 06:07 AM
03/10/13 06:07 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Like i said,the last of a great bunch. smile

Re: Early members [Re: J Geoff] #701954
03/10/13 02:37 PM
03/10/13 02:37 PM
Staten Island / New Jersey
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

Staten Island / New Jersey
Originally Posted By: J Geoff

The 1st "member" was taken by the software itself, so you have to subtract 1. I was first, SC was second.

Didn't the UBB software have our BB seniority # under the avatar at one time?

Re: Early members [Re: Just Lou] #701961
03/10/13 03:13 PM
03/10/13 03:13 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Time DOES fly. I can't believe it'll be 11 years for me next month. uhwhat It started with my very first home computer (desktop). Being a fan of the movie, I did a GF search, clicked on the site, browsed a bit and joined soon after. Everyone was so welcoming and friendly AND I liked that it was well moderated.

Made a lot of good friends, some I've met and many more that I haven't met (yet). Tho, there are times we run out of GF talk, we still come here and feel at home. Still, this has to be one of the most informative, well-managed sites (the best anyway) attributed to GF movies in all of the cyber world.

Kudos to the Mods!! wink

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Early members [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #701982
03/10/13 05:56 PM
03/10/13 05:56 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Here here TIS..

Re: Early members [Re: J Geoff] #702019
03/10/13 09:47 PM
03/10/13 09:47 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
People have always come and gone for whatever reason (college, work schedule, being pissed at someone lol, boredom, etc) but yeah, this was some place back in the day. While we had our characters then also, it was a much more mature (for lack of a better word) atmosphere. It's great that some have hung around 11.5 years, and it's always great when someone pops back in to say hello, but I think it boils down to one thing: how many times can the same arguments get rehashed?

There will always be newcomers who find the content "new" and exciting, while others got their fill and move on. I've done the same thing on other forums -- I'd be gungho in the beginning and never leave the site, then after a while something else catches my eye. A decade ago it was still "new" to everyone, and a decade later, it's new to newcomers. The ones who last are typically the ones who've made some true friendships on here. For a while we'd meet at least once/year for a weekend and it was a blast! That slowed down when the bad economy hit.

And I'd be remiss to not state that when Plawrence passed away, it left a hole that's been hard to recover from.

That's my 2c worth...
Agree with this: Plawrence was/is a massive loss - I remember being absolutely gutted, in a way I've never had a chance yet to feel with family, at his passing away. And Don Colletti, who I was just getting to know and about to meet up with, when he too died...

I actually just began to list pals I've made on here, then added a "no particular order" disclaimer, before realising I'd be missing too many people off... I'll mention Turi here, who I've had the fortune to meet up with, and consider a real pal. And JG and SC, with whom I almost met up during a trip to Manhattan three and a bit years ago, and who down the years have extended 'public' fairness to me as well as private guidance, for which I'm genuine grateful.

Among my pals I now count GBB members svsg, Omar Suarez (who I've also met), Blibbleblabble, long_lost_corleone, Family Honour, Frankie 5-angels, Michael Corleone 14, Saladbar.

This place wouldn't have been worth sticking around at without: Turnbull (whose name alone tells us he's watched The Godfather Trilogy too many times), Don Cardi, MaryCas, TIS, Sicilian Babe, La Dolce Vita, whisper, Klydon1, dontomasso, Mignon, afsaneh77, ronnierocketAGO, DonMichaelCorleone, Lavinia from Italy, Longneck, Don Andrew, Fame, bogey, ginaitaliangirl, Ice, Liz_85, Letizia B., Nice Guy Eddie, Wiseguy_1872, Don Sonny Corleone, MistaMista Tom Hagen, Patrick, Signor Vitelli, joltinjoe05, Antoin the Penguin, thug, Lilo, Don Vercetti, Danito, silviodante77, XDCX, Don Marco, goodfellaoggie, BAM_233, JustMe goombah, Just Lou, Enzo Scifo, MobbingForMoney, raggingbull2003... and then there's Pherdy, Double J, AppleOnYa, CamillusDon, Don Palentino, Mike Sullivan, Don Smitty, fathersson, Partagas, Anthony Lombardi, Don Corpuzzi, The Iceman, Hollywood Hagan, Don Giorgio Gambino, Don Sicilia, Snake, Irishman12, De Niro and of course Yogi Barrabbas--who lives within walking distance of my house, and who I've still never met!

(Many more, too, to whom I extend apologies for not mentioning.)

The Internet's been a large part of my formative years, of my education in fact. I've picked fights on here and defended those who haven't, and have been an arsehole at other times.

Thanks for having me.

Funniest experience on here was when cyber-life and real-life converged during an IT lesson at school... I spent every lesson on this site, and a pal (who remains a good pal to this day) was so intrigued he signed up under the name "intellegence". I don't remember now who pointed out his misspelled name: it was either me, JG or AppleOnYa. He was so embarrassed, and asked to have his name corrected. Needless to say, he took a good ribbin' from me. (I also remember me saying someone had "mispelled" something, and JG saying I'd misspelled "mispelled".)

Mick (as I used to sign every post)

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Early members [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #702048
03/11/13 01:34 AM
03/11/13 01:34 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

Good round-up, Mick! I still regret meeting you that time you were in NYC. I still run into a couple of them on Facebook now and then. Besides your always intellectual movie posts, why do I keep remembering that "at attention" pic you posted, tho? tongue lol

Re: Early members [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #702053
03/11/13 02:24 AM
03/11/13 02:24 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
I concur with JG, great post Mick. smile I've been fortunate to have joined these amazing people, thanks to XDC who introduced me to this place.

The debates here changed my views for the better. And Plawrence was always ready for a good debate. I remember Patrick posting many threads, his volumes of thoughts that would start many debates and Plaw was always there to make sure the debates were interesting. I remember he even once PMed me to say there's a debate that I might be interested. lol He would do funny break down posts in congratulation threads and would write fake articles under an assumed name, it's still in SB's signature. lol

Good times, good memories. Thanks to everyone for making that happen.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Early members [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #702055
03/11/13 02:55 AM
03/11/13 02:55 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

Ahh, Patrick... "Tupac vs Shakespeare"... grin

Re: Early members [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #702061
03/11/13 05:25 AM
03/11/13 05:25 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

That's my 2c worth...
Agree with this: Plawrence was/is a massive loss - I remember being absolutely gutted, in a way I've never had a chance yet to feel with family, at his passing away. And Don Colletti, who I was just getting to know and about to meet up with, when he too died...

I actually just began to list pals I've made on here, then added a "no particular order" disclaimer, before realising I'd be missing too many people off... I'll mention Turi here, who I've had the fortune to meet up with, and consider a real pal. And JG and SC, with whom I almost met up during a trip to Manhattan three and a bit years ago, and who down the years have extended 'public' fairness to me as well as private guidance, for which I'm genuine grateful.

Among my pals I now count GBB members svsg, Omar Suarez (who I've also met), Blibbleblabble, long_lost_corleone, Family Honour, Frankie 5-angels, Michael Corleone 14, Saladbar.

This place wouldn't have been worth sticking around at without: Turnbull (whose name alone tells us he's watched The Godfather Trilogy too many times), Don Cardi, MaryCas, TIS, Sicilian Babe, La Dolce Vita, whisper, Klydon1, dontomasso, Mignon, afsaneh77, ronnierocketAGO, DonMichaelCorleone, Lavinia from Italy, Longneck, Don Andrew, Fame, bogey, ginaitaliangirl, Ice, Liz_85, Letizia B., Nice Guy Eddie, Wiseguy_1872, Don Sonny Corleone, MistaMista Tom Hagen, Patrick, Signor Vitelli, joltinjoe05, Antoin the Penguin, thug, Lilo, Don Vercetti, Danito, silviodante77, XDCX, Don Marco, goodfellaoggie, BAM_233, JustMe goombah, Just Lou, Enzo Scifo, MobbingForMoney, raggingbull2003... and then there's Pherdy, Double J, AppleOnYa, CamillusDon, Don Palentino, Mike Sullivan, Don Smitty, fathersson, Partagas, Anthony Lombardi, Don Corpuzzi, The Iceman, Hollywood Hagan, Don Giorgio Gambino, Don Sicilia, Snake, Irishman12, De Niro and of course Yogi Barrabbas--who lives within walking distance of my house, and who I've still never met!

The Internet's been a large part of my formative years, of my education in fact. I've picked fights on here and defended those who haven't, and have been an arsehole at other times.

Thanks for having me.

Funniest experience on here was when cyber-life and real-life converged during an IT lesson at school... I spent every lesson on this site, and a pal (who remains a good pal to this day) was so intrigued he signed up under the name "intellegence". I don't remember now who pointed out his misspelled name: it was either me, JG or AppleOnYa. He was so embarrassed, and asked to have his name corrected. Needless to say, he took a good ribbin' from me. (I also remember me saying someone had "mispelled" something, and JG saying I'd misspelled "mispelled".)

You and Yogi, should really meet up.. And i'll always be gratful to you for sending me the burned copy of the last season of The Sopranos.. wink

Last edited by DE NIRO; 03/11/13 05:27 AM.

Re: Early members [Re: DE NIRO] #702067
03/11/13 07:32 AM
03/11/13 07:32 AM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
I to have met some wonderful people on here. It has been an honor getting to meet Geoff, SC, Don Cardi, Plaw, TIS, DMC, SV, Don Smitty in person. I have good memories of the BB weekends they were alot of fun. Even though I left for a bit due to some people I've enjoyed being a part of the BB for 10 years.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Early members [Re: DE NIRO] #702085
03/11/13 11:57 AM
03/11/13 11:57 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

That's my 2c worth...

Thanks for having me.

You and Yogi, should really meet up.. And i'll always be gratful to you for sending me the burned copy of the last season of The Sopranos.. wink

We will meet...eventually tongue

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Early members [Re: J Geoff] #702089
03/11/13 12:01 PM
03/11/13 12:01 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
On a serious note, i joined possibly just after the "golden era" and i absolutely love it. Met lots of folks who even though i have never actually met i would consider friends and this place obviously does need me as i am a giant of the fantasy sports division lol

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Early members [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #702097
03/11/13 12:32 PM
03/11/13 12:32 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Geoff,

Can you give us a synopsis of the first few months? How did SC become number 2? Were you friends before or he just happen to find the site?

"The Making of the Gangster BB", starring Tom Hanks as J Geoff Malta, Joe Pesci as SC, ......

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Early members [Re: MaryCas] #702099
03/11/13 12:37 PM
03/11/13 12:37 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: MaryCas
How did SC become number 2?

I told Geoff I was smaht. I told him I could handle things.

He believed me. eek

Re: Early members [Re: MaryCas] #702123
03/11/13 02:12 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Can you give us a synopsis of the first few months? How did SC become number 2? Were you friends before or he just happen to find the site?

In the late '90s there was a different forum attached to the Godfather Trilogy site, one that shared it's black background and allowed people to post anonymously. SC and some other old-old-timers took to it, but I never really got into it because it was kind of a mess (that's what total anonymity gets you).

In 2000 I started working at Marvel Comics in NYC and was in charge of setting up their forums (among other things). Since I wanted to be able to "test" the software 24/7, I "borrowed" the $1000 package and installed it for us. whistle (When the price dropped down to $100 I bought my own license). It just took off from there....

I remember SC not liking it at first because it was on a white background. tongue wink

Incidentally, before even the original forum, there was the listserv mailing list, originally hosted by a fan in the Czech Republic. My original consigliere of the email group, Nathan, is still alive and well there (as are others) but they never took to this format (Appleonya was part of that group). It's since been a Yahoo group, and while posts still come through now and then by the regulars, it's not nearly as active as this is now -- but it used to be!

Re: Early members [Re: MaryCas] #702124
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Geoff,

How did SC become number 2?

Hey, a guy can take this a couple of ways. wink

Re: Early members [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #702187
03/11/13 06:01 PM
03/11/13 06:01 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
How about 2nd member.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Early members [Re: MaryCas] #702217
03/11/13 07:59 PM
03/11/13 07:59 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
How about 2nd member.

Now, that can also be taken a couple of different ways!

Lucky SC - most of us mere mortals have to make do with just one. whistle

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull