GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 143 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,729
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,301
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,527
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,407
Posts1,060,344
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Duvall: "When am I going to California?" - Never!! #695763
02/11/13 10:24 AM
02/11/13 10:24 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline OP
Underboss
Danito  Offline OP
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
As we know, the Hollywood scenes with Hagen and Woltz were shot with doubles for budget reasons.
But was a flight from New York to California for two actors in 1972 really that expensive?
Does anybody know the prices?

Re: Duvall: "When am I going to California?" - Never!! [Re: Danito] #696299
02/13/13 12:45 PM
02/13/13 12:45 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

It would have been more than two actors. Either FFC and some of the camera people would have to go to Holllywood to film a locatiion scene at some mansion in Bel Air or Beverly Hills, which would have cost money, or FFC could have left it to a second unit director and crew. I doubt he would give up that much creative control over those scenes, so between that and the tight budget it makes sense they filmed it in New York. Remember the studio thought this movie was going to bomb and they were always on the brink of firing FFC and Al Pacino so rocking the boat to shoot that scene in LA was not in the cards.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Duvall: "When am I going to California?" - Never!! [Re: dontomasso] #696313
02/13/13 01:01 PM
02/13/13 01:01 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I agree with dt. They used stock footage of Hagen's airplane landing, Grauman's Chinese Theater, and parts of Paramount's lot. But the Woltz sequence was short and limited in sweep, so there was no need to incur the expense of shooting in Hollywood.

Contrast with the Cuban sequences in II: by that time FFC had carte blanche and the Havana interlude was a lengthy, major part of the movie. FFC had a real need for maximum authenticity, which was why they did it in the Dominican Republic, and damn the cost. Serious professors of Cuban history urge their students to view GFII for an accurae depiction of what Havana was like on the eve of Castro's takeover.

FFC's obsession with authenticity was one of his major strengths as a director. In the documentary, "Hearts of Darkness," about his filming of "Apocalypse Now," we see him directing the French plantation scene (which was deleted in the theatrical release but restored in "Apocalypse Now Redux"). FFC is setting up a dinner table for the French planters and the patrol boat crew. FFC says, "I want a bottle of Puligny-Montrachet [top-line white Burgundy] and I want it served at 48 degrees. I want any Frenchman who was in Vietnam at that time and who sees this movie to believe it." I thought, who the hell watching this movie would know if it wasn't Puligny-Montrachet served at 48 degrees? Then I figured it out: a director who sweats such tiny details is going to get everything right.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Duvall: "When am I going to California?" - Never!! [Re: Turnbull] #696320
02/13/13 01:22 PM
02/13/13 01:22 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Great obswervation TB, but how would French Colonialists living up the Mekong, in the jungle, during a war be able to maintain the Montrachet at cave temperatures?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Duvall: "When am I going to California?" - Never!! [Re: Danito] #696376
02/13/13 04:58 PM
02/13/13 04:58 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline OP
Underboss
Danito  Offline OP
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
I was referring to the scene where Woltz shows Hagen his palace. Wasn't this filmed by FFC? "The Godfather Annotated" mentions a "second unit" at the estate of Harold Lloyd. Does that mean, FFC wasn't there?

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull