GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (joepuzzles234), 289 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,590
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,062
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,364
Posts1,059,430
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Johnny Depp to play Whitey Bulger #694068
02/03/13 12:04 AM
02/03/13 12:04 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline OP
IvyLeague  Offline OP
I

Just In Time For Berlin: Johnny Depp Plays Boston Mob’s Whitey Bulger In ‘Black Mass’
By MIKE FLEMING JR
February 2, 2013

EXCLUSIVE: Just as Whitey Bulger rose to the top of the FBI’s Ten Most Wanted List when he disappeared for a decade before he could be put behind bars, the fast mobilizing movie about the Boston crime kingpin just rose to the top of the most wanted list in the upcoming European Film Market in Berlin. That’s because Johnny Deep has become attached to star in the Cross Creek crime thriller Black Mass, with Barry Levinson directing him. The picture is a co-production between Cross Creek and Nigel Sinclair and Guy East’s Exclusive Media, with the two entities co-financing. Universal Pictures is aboard to release the film in the U.S. through Cross Creek’s distribution deal with the studio, and production is to begin in May.

The film will be produced by Cross Creek’s Brian Oliver and Tyler Thompson, John Lesher, and Christi Dembrowski, Depp’s partner in Infinitum Nihil. Exclusive Media’s Tobin Armbrust, President Worldwide Production and Acquisitions and Cross Creek Pictures Sr. VP of Production Adam Kassan, will oversee production. Alex Walton, Exclusive Media’s President of International Sales and Distribution, will introduce Black Mass to overseas buyers at the upcoming European Film Market in Berlin.

The title of the film comes from the 2001 Dick Lehr/Gerald O’Neill New York Times bestseller Black Mass: The True Story of an Unholy Alliance Between the FBI and the Irish Mob. The script was written by Mark Mallouk, and the long-gestating movie got the third act it needed when Bulger was captured in California in summer 2011, after he spent a decade on the FBI’s Ten Most Wanted list.

Bulger was a notoriously ruthless Boston mob kingpin who was the basis for characters like the one that Jack Nicholson played in the Martin Scorsese-directed The Departed and Pete Postlethwaite played in the Ben Affleck-directed The Town (Affleck has his own Whitey Bulger project scripted by Boardwalk Empire creator Terrence Winter with Matt Damon expected to play the mobster, but he’ll next direct Dennis Lehane’s Live By Night so there’s no way that film will beat this one into production). Even as he was masterminding a violent gang–the federal case against him alleges 19 murders–Bulger was an FBI informant, a role he took on discreetly to take down a rival gang, but the tables were turned on him. After the Feds closed in on their targets, they double crossed Bulger and ultimately prosecuted him, along with his partner in crime and the original FBI agent working with him.

“I could not be more thrilled to have the biggest star in the world and Academy Award winning director Barry Levinson to finally bring this incredible story to the big screen,” said Cross Creek’s Oliver. “We have been working on this project since we originally optioned the book in 2005. Black Mass expertly details the twists and turns of this highly complex story, painting a vivid portrait of Boston’s underbelly and its corrupt political machine, as well as exposing the worst scandal in FBI history. It’s also an examination of loyalty to family, Irish heritage, and South Boston.”

Said Exclusive Media’s Sinclair and East: “We are thrilled by the opportunity to bring Mark Mallouk’s terrific screenplay to the screen with perhaps this generation’s biggest and best actor and a director who’s work makes him one of America’s iconic filmmakers. Occasionally a film project comes along that is truly exceptional – from the terrific subject matter to the chance to collaborate again with our long time friends and partners at Cross Creek, and to have the opportunity work with the unique and inimitable Johnny Depp. We are truly delighted to be involved in Black Mass.”

Depp and Levinson previously worked together when the latter produced the Mike Newell-directed Donnie Brasco, considered a mob classic. Levinson has separately been attached to a film about John Gotti Jr and his notorious crime family, but that picture has been on shaky financial footing for a long time and who knows if or when it will happen.

Cross Creek and Exclusive Media jointly co-produced George Clooney’s The Ides Of March with Smokehouse Pictures, the Daniel Radcliffe-starrer The Woman In Black, and the upcoming Ron Howard-directed Rush with Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Brühl, the latter of which is being produced with Brian Grazer’s Imagine Entertainment, Working Title, and Revolution Films. Universal will release that Formula One film in the U.S. this year. The companies are co-producing and co-financing A Walk Among The Tombstones, with Liam Neeson starring.

The deal was negotiated by UTA’s Tracey Jacobs, Jake Bloom and Micheal Schenkman for Depp and UTA’s Jeremy Zimmer and Barry Hirsch for Levinson as well as Eric Greenfeld on behalf of Cross Creek and Exclusive Media.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/just-in-...-in-black-mass/

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Johnny Depp to play Whitey Bulger [Re: IvyLeague] #694074
02/03/13 03:24 AM
02/03/13 03:24 AM
AmericanCrime Offline
Capo
AmericanCrime  Offline
Capo
I'm a huge Johnny Depp fan. He's played some great roles and done it with such veracity. That being said. I can't think of him in this role. It's not that he can't handle crime flicks. Brasco proved that. And Public Enemies wasn't bad at all.

Who knows maybe he'll pull it off. I just can't see why someone would cast him as Bulger. Other than starpower pull.

Re: Johnny Depp to play Whitey Bulger [Re: IvyLeague] #694155
02/03/13 07:23 PM
02/03/13 07:23 PM
SEAN_SOUTH Offline
Capo
SEAN_SOUTH  Offline
Capo
Ed Harris should play the part. The fella's perfect for the role yet they want Johnny scissor fingers to do a makeover on WHitey. Don't get it or Damon.

I can see the big name draw but nah they woulda been betters casting the big names as the sidekicks. I mean I think Ed Harris is the right guy for this he even looks like Whitey did in the 90's.

'So I say, “Live and let live.” That’s my motto. “Live and let live.” Anyone who can’t go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker. It’s a simple philosophy, but it’s always worked in our family.'

George Carlin
Re: Johnny Depp to play Whitey Bulger [Re: IvyLeague] #694158
02/03/13 07:44 PM
02/03/13 07:44 PM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
Ed Harris or William Hurt.
Both were spectacular in A History Of Violence (Hurt got nominated for best supporting actor).

Also they look much more like Whitey.

Re: Johnny Depp to play Whitey Bulger [Re: IvyLeague] #694172
02/03/13 10:20 PM
02/03/13 10:20 PM
Iceman999 Offline
Capo
Iceman999  Offline
Capo
Ed Harris makes a hell of a lot more sense than a beanpole like Depp. Not knocking Depp's acting abilities, but I just can't buy him as Bulger, no way.

Re: Johnny Depp to play Whitey Bulger [Re: IvyLeague] #694188
02/04/13 04:42 AM
02/04/13 04:42 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
Ed Harris does have the look, and is great actor too. Johnny Depp is such a big star, if he wants the role, it will be his.

Re: Johnny Depp to play Whitey Bulger [Re: IvyLeague] #694204
02/04/13 10:22 AM
02/04/13 10:22 AM
Ireland
DonMega Offline
Capo
DonMega  Offline
Capo
Ireland
sounds like its gonna end up like kill the irishman great story wasted on low bugdet frown

Re: Johnny Depp to play Whitey Bulger [Re: IvyLeague] #694205
02/04/13 10:28 AM
02/04/13 10:28 AM
Brooklyn
R
RichieAnimal Offline
Capo
RichieAnimal  Offline
R
Capo
Brooklyn
Does Johnny little hands depp have to actually punch anyone with a closed fist in this movie? If he does it would not be really realistic. I did not like him in that other movie Donnie Brasco because of it. If you notice he never really hit anyon with a closed fist in Donnie Brasco. My three year own Henry would look more realistic punching someone as Johnny depp looked in donnie Brasco

Only the unloved hate
Re: Johnny Depp to play Whitey Bulger [Re: IvyLeague] #694233
02/04/13 01:34 PM
02/04/13 01:34 PM
J
Jonah29 Offline
Associate
Jonah29  Offline
J
Associate
These videos provide a much needed perspective on the little known truth about Johnny Depp:

Part 1 of 2 - http://youtu.be/29DU-x33tnw

Part 2 of 2 - http://youtu.be/QbV72xGS9fU

Re: Johnny Depp to play Whitey Bulger [Re: IvyLeague] #694240
02/04/13 02:04 PM
02/04/13 02:04 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline
G
Underboss
Originally Posted By: RichieAnimal
Does Johnny little hands depp have to actually punch anyone with a closed fist in this movie? If he does it would not be really realistic. I did not like him in that other movie Donnie Brasco because of it. If you notice he never really hit anyon with a closed fist in Donnie Brasco. My three year own Henry would look more realistic punching someone as Johnny depp looked in donnie Brasco

I read they wanted to bring in a hand double for Depp for the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' sequel because he has such "feminine" hands. lol I'm not sure though if they did bring in a hand double or if they ended up using Depp's hands for the scene.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news-article/depp-gets-a-hand-double-to-make-captain-jack-more-rugged

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/celebrity/Johnny+Depp-5788.html

Re: Johnny Depp to play Whitey Bulger [Re: IvyLeague] #694243
02/04/13 02:09 PM
02/04/13 02:09 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline
G
Underboss
Hey maybe they can bring in Justin Timberlake to play Johnny Martorano and that little panzy douchebag Justin Bieber to play "The Rifleman" Flemmi. lol clap

Depp would then look like a hardened killer compared to those two.

Seriously though, how about Gary Oldman? He doesn't look like Bulger but he's great in most of his movies and i bet he could pull it off. Ed Harris would be a good choice too.

Re: Johnny Depp to play Whitey Bulger [Re: IvyLeague] #694344
02/04/13 09:34 PM
02/04/13 09:34 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Ed Harris is a classy actor, forgotten by most people in my opinion. Always does a good job IMO.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: Johnny Depp to play Whitey Bulger [Re: Dapper_Don] #694369
02/05/13 12:18 AM
02/05/13 12:18 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline OP
IvyLeague  Offline OP
I

Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
Ed Harris is a classy actor, forgotten by most people in my opinion. Always does a good job IMO.

Heck, he did well in the NY Irish OC genre with State of Grace. Not sure if he'd look at playing Whitey as a going over old ground.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Johnny Depp to play Whitey Bulger [Re: IvyLeague] #694776
02/06/13 12:35 PM
02/06/13 12:35 PM
Dandi Offline
Wiseguy
Dandi  Offline
Wiseguy
The Guardian ran an article on this, too. Really hoping it comes off, think it's a shame we don't see Depp taking on more serious roles. He's a great actor.

Re: Johnny Depp to play Whitey Bulger [Re: IvyLeague] #697491
02/18/13 11:49 AM
02/18/13 11:49 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline
Was: Revis_Island
Revis_Knicks  Offline
Was: Revis_Island
R
Underboss
Ed Harris would be great! I think depp is a better actor and Harris is underrated. Harris looks more the part. But I think depp would nail this. He can pull off anything.

Re: Johnny Depp to play Whitey Bulger [Re: IvyLeague] #697581
02/18/13 05:36 PM
02/18/13 05:36 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don

Heck, he did well in the NY Irish OC genre with State of Grace. Not sure if he'd look at playing Whitey as a going over old ground.

Yep. I think Harris would take a crack at playing Whitey only if the script was a good one the rest of the cast was decent as well.

Oh well, looks like Depp will be playing Whitey. I cant remember off the top of my head a recent Depp movie that I have enjoyed.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: Johnny Depp to play Whitey Bulger [Re: IvyLeague] #698255
02/21/13 01:25 AM
02/21/13 01:25 AM
Nuevo Mexico
Vigil Offline
Capo
Vigil  Offline
Capo
Nuevo Mexico
I am looking forward to this movie. I just hope Depp will seem tough enough for it to be pulled off as real.

*** il capo di tutti capi ***

"You'll never meet another guy like me if you live to be 5, 000." -John Gotti
Re: Johnny Depp to play Whitey Bulger [Re: IvyLeague] #720163
06/13/13 12:08 AM
06/13/13 12:08 AM
AmericanCrime Offline
Capo
AmericanCrime  Offline
Capo
Just stumbled upon an update on this:
Apparently Depp dropped out to a salary dispute.

I heard that Matt Damon is now in the running to play Whitey Bulger. And I have to say he's a much better fit physically. And he's a Boston native IIRC. Or from the suburbs so that has to help and add some credibility.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull