GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 241 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,493
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,925
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,336
Posts1,058,841
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Garbage [Re: Garbageman] #785469
06/23/14 12:59 PM
06/23/14 12:59 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Murray Richman: The King Daddy Scumbag in a business full of scumbags. Cocksucker deserves hemorrhoids the size of boccie balls.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Garbage [Re: Long_Island] #785579
06/24/14 03:24 AM
06/24/14 03:24 AM
Boca Raton
NNY78 Offline
The Counselor
NNY78  Offline
The Counselor
Underboss
Boca Raton
Feds ask judge to ignore plea for leniency by alleged mobster

By Rich Calder

June 23, 2014

He says he’s no Tony Soprano — but he sure sounds like one.

The feds have asked Manhattan federal Judge Kevin Castel to ignore a plea for leniency by real-life wiseguy Anthony Bazzini when he’s sentenced Tuesday, saying his claim that he only threatened a confidential government witness with bodily harm because the wired-up informant beat him for thousands of dollars in business deals is just ridiculous.

Before copping a plea in January to being part of the massive gangland effort to control the New York-New Jersey garbage carting industry, Bazzini also bizarrely tried to distance himself from comparisons to the fictional mob boss on HBO’s “The Sopranos” played by the late James Gandolfini — and even asked Castel to screen potential jurors to ensure none have a “bias” against Italian-Americans based on the show.

But a description of Bazzini, 54, of Glen Head, LI, painted by Assistant US Attorney Brian R. Blais in recent court papers sure makes him sound like Soprano, who also had an infamous temper and used the garbage-carting business as a mob front.

“The defendant has a history of engaging in quite troubling threatening behavior,” including a 2003 federal conviction “where Bazzini threatened to cut off his stockbroker’s ‘mother’s hands,’ to put the broker’s brother in ‘four casts’ and to ‘kill’ the broker’s whole family after Bazzini suffered losses in the stock market,” Assistant US Attorney Brian R. Blais wrote Castel.

“Resort to threats of bodily harm in the face of perceived monetary sleights – especially by an individual with a pattern of making such threats – is not behavior that should be rewarded with leniency.”

Blais also noted that despite the “perceived slight” by the witness – “two wrongs don’t make a right.”

He said Bazzini deserves the 12 to 18 months in prison he faces after pleading guilty to interfering with commerce by threatening bodily harm between 2011 and 2012.

However, Bazzini’s lawyer, Raymond Perini, in a June 11 memo asked Castel to go easy on his client because the government witness, referred to as “Mr. Hughes,” is a “liar and a thief” who provoked the threats. He also claimed Hughes accidentally recorded himself saying that getting Bazzini to threaten him “would be good.”

“Mr. Bazzini was pushed beyond his limits and reacted accordingly,” the lawyer wrote.

The feds say Bazzini is the “ghost owner” of Galaxy Carting in Ronkonkoma, which also did business in New Jersey.

He and 31 other reputed mobsters were busted in January 2013 for allegedly scheming with rival Mafia families to trash efforts to clean up the garbage business — and using strong-arm tactics to shake down owners of legitimate companies and secretly assume control of their operations.

http://nypost.com/2014/06/23/feds-ask-judge-to-ignore-plea-for-leniency-by-alleged-mobster/

Re: Garbage [Re: Long_Island] #785581
06/24/14 03:52 AM
06/24/14 03:52 AM
T
TommyGambino Offline
Underboss
TommyGambino  Offline
T
Underboss
Bazzini's a made guy with the Gambino's right? Anybody know much about him, what crew he's in etc.

Re: Garbage [Re: Long_Island] #785604
06/24/14 09:05 AM
06/24/14 09:05 AM
Garbageman Offline
Made Member
Garbageman  Offline
Made Member
One hour left till his sentencing. Wonder what Castel is going to slap him with?
I'll say, ummmm 9 months.

Re: Garbage [Re: pizzaboy] #785606
06/24/14 09:11 AM
06/24/14 09:11 AM
A treehouse w hamburgers
Hamilton Offline
Made Member
Hamilton  Offline
Made Member
A treehouse w hamburgers
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Murray Richman: The King Daddy Scumbag in a business full of scumbags. Cocksucker deserves hemorrhoids the size of boccie balls.

lol lol

"Asking us questions...harass and arrest us ..saying we eat pieces of shiet like u for breakfast ...Huh ya'll eat pieces of shiet..? whats the basis we ain't going no where.. we got suits n cases.. trunk full of coke rental car from avis only now clemente can save us,, I told said solly I acted da fool I'll be gone till November I got bodies too move....
I put pebbles on my hood like Danny Greene here comes the crab n his queen yes barbara actin da fool mess with a pyscho u kno its time to move.

Re: Garbage [Re: Garbageman] #785608
06/24/14 09:23 AM
06/24/14 09:23 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Garbageman
One hour left till his sentencing. Wonder what Castel is going to slap him with?
I'll say, ummmm 9 months.

Of course. He's not going an inch outside of the guidelines. Not with a made guy. Not when the sentence is so short to begin with.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Garbage [Re: Long_Island] #785630
06/24/14 10:27 AM
06/24/14 10:27 AM
cheech Offline
Underboss
cheech  Offline
Underboss
sentence?

When Interpol?
Re: Garbage [Re: cheech] #785634
06/24/14 10:36 AM
06/24/14 10:36 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: cheech
sentence?

I think the guidelines call for something like 9 to 15 months.

Re: Garbage [Re: Long_Island] #785721
06/24/14 03:49 PM
06/24/14 03:49 PM
cheech Offline
Underboss
cheech  Offline
Underboss
What did he get?

When Interpol?
Re: Garbage [Re: Long_Island] #785749
06/24/14 05:12 PM
06/24/14 05:12 PM
A treehouse w hamburgers
Hamilton Offline
Made Member
Hamilton  Offline
Made Member
A treehouse w hamburgers
?

"Asking us questions...harass and arrest us ..saying we eat pieces of shiet like u for breakfast ...Huh ya'll eat pieces of shiet..? whats the basis we ain't going no where.. we got suits n cases.. trunk full of coke rental car from avis only now clemente can save us,, I told said solly I acted da fool I'll be gone till November I got bodies too move....
I put pebbles on my hood like Danny Greene here comes the crab n his queen yes barbara actin da fool mess with a pyscho u kno its time to move.

Re: Garbage [Re: Long_Island] #785751
06/24/14 05:17 PM
06/24/14 05:17 PM
Garbageman Offline
Made Member
Garbageman  Offline
Made Member
He got 1 year and 1 day, 3 years probation

Re: Garbage [Re: Long_Island] #785754
06/24/14 05:19 PM
06/24/14 05:19 PM
Garbageman Offline
Made Member
Garbageman  Offline
Made Member
You hit it pb, guidelines were 12-18 he went 1 inch inside them lol, fuckin stickler, that Castel.

Re: Garbage [Re: Garbageman] #785755
06/24/14 05:20 PM
06/24/14 05:20 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
He got 1 year and 1 day, 3 years probation

What'd I tell ya? lol

(not laughing at the sentence, just the predictability of it wink )

Re: Garbage [Re: Long_Island] #785757
06/24/14 05:29 PM
06/24/14 05:29 PM
Garbageman Offline
Made Member
Garbageman  Offline
Made Member

Re: Garbage [Re: Long_Island] #785759
06/24/14 05:33 PM
06/24/14 05:33 PM
Garbageman Offline
Made Member
Garbageman  Offline
Made Member
I bet Matsumoto over in Brooklyn would've let him walk, maybe even given him a lollipop on the way out the door.

Re: Garbage [Re: Garbageman] #785760
06/24/14 05:35 PM
06/24/14 05:35 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I bet Matsumoto over in Brooklyn would've let him walk, maybe even given him a lollipop on the way out the door.

But they knew better than to petition for a change of venue. At the end of the day, it's just a year. Know what I mean? wink

Re: Garbage [Re: Garbageman] #785761
06/24/14 05:36 PM
New Jersey
Dellacroce Offline
Underboss
Dellacroce  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey

Haha all he would have to do is tell her hes going blind and that he cant piss standing up anymore, and maybe have james caan write a touching letter for good measure.

"Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a poor man, and I've been a rich man. And I choose rich every fucking time."

-Jordan Belfort
Re: Garbage [Re: Long_Island] #785762
Garbageman Offline
Made Member
Garbageman  Offline
Made Member
Hemorrhoid the size of bocci balls?! Just saw that! A HAHAHAHAHAHA. I swear, there should be a radio talk show about this subject, I'd call in every day and crow bar in a mention of Murray just to hear you insult him.

Re: Garbage [Re: Dellacroce] #785764
06/24/14 05:39 PM
06/24/14 05:39 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Dellacroce
Haha all he would have to do is tell her hes going blind and that he cant piss standing up anymore, and maybe have james caan write a touching letter for good measure.

Step into the 21st century, Delly. They'd have Scott Caan right the letter now. Little midget that he is grin.

Re: Garbage [Re: Dellacroce] #785766
06/24/14 05:41 PM
06/24/14 05:41 PM
Garbageman Offline
Made Member
Garbageman  Offline
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Dellacroce

Too funny! lol
Your Honor, I've had this horrifying zit under my balls for the last few weeks, It really hurts.

Dear Judge,
Please excuse Juan Epstien from prison, James Caan is his best friend and says he will be tearful if you lock him up.
Bless you
Signed
Epstien's Mom

Re: Garbage [Re: pizzaboy] #785768
06/24/14 05:48 PM
06/24/14 05:48 PM
Garbageman Offline
Made Member
Garbageman  Offline
Made Member
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

But they knew better than to petition for a change of venue. At the end of the day, it's just a year. Know what I mean? wink

Yeah, especially when the original charges were RICO based and maxed at 40 years. All in all, Bazzini's lawyers did a great job for him. These slaps on the wrists getting handed down are proof that this case went belly-up.

Re: Garbage [Re: Long_Island] #785975
06/26/14 12:22 AM
06/26/14 12:22 AM
Garbageman Offline
Made Member
Garbageman  Offline
Made Member
It's official, 30% of the defendants have had charges dismissed completely.
Really rubs my rhubarb.

By Jerry Capeci

Snake Bites Mob Garbage Case Again; Feds Drop Charges Against Last Three Defendants
Gang Land Exclusive!Carmine FrancoThe office of U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara quietly announced this week that it is dismissing charges against the last three defendants in the snake-bitten7 labor racketeering case that the FBI made against Genovese gangster Carmine (Papa) Smurf Franco and 28 others. All told, prosecutors have now dropped the charges against 10 of the 29 defendants in the indictment.

Throwing in the towel before trial against more than a third of the defendants in the 16-count indictment wasn't the way things were supposed to turn out. When the arrests were announced, the case was hailed by Bharara and New York FBI boss George Venizelos as a major blow against the Mafia's control over the waste hauling industry in New York and New Jersey. Instead, this foray against the mob rivals the losing ways of the luckless Mets.

In a two paragraph court filing, prosecutors told Manhattan Federal Judge P. Kevin Castel they were deferring the prosecution of the owner of a Jersey City garbage company and two truck drivers charged with stealing about 130 tons of cardboard between March and July of 2012. The trio, Thomas Giordano, 43, the owner of Galaxy Carting of New Jersey, Michael Russo, 51, and Louis Dontis, 59, were set for trial next month. The charges are slated to be officially dismissed later this summer.

The three men were tape recorded by FBI informer Charles Hughes in dozens of conversations in which they allegedly discussed truckloads of stolen cardboard, and a surprisingly simple, relatively lucrative mob scam. Drivers snatched the cardboard from sites in Brooklyn, Bayonne and beyond. It was then put up for sale by Giordano at a market price that ranged between $106 and $125 a ton, according to an FBI summary of talks that Hughes recorded from March of 2009 until January 8, 2013 – a week before the indictment was unsealed.

But in an apparent effort to keep their key witness, undercover operative Hughes, off the stand, prosecutors have decided to drop the charges. A major concern is that Hughes would have to admit that he became a government witness only after he was arrested for soliciting sex with a girl he believed was 15 years old.

In January, prosecutors gave super sweet plea deals to Gambino mobster Anthony Bazzini and mob associate Scott Fappiano, who faced 20 years if convicted, rather than subject Hughes to a biting cross-examination about that by their lawyers.

But prosecutors had no leverage to wangle guilty pleas from the alleged cardboard thieves. "They rejected plea deals of zero-to-six months early on," said one source.

"There was no way they were going to plead to anything," said one defense attorney whose client accepted a plea offer before it became known that Hughes was a convicted sex pervert. "My guy got a really nice disposition, but he's not happy. And there's one other guy I know who's upset that he didn't hold out until the end," the lawyer added.

Sources say that following his arrest in August, 2008, Hughes, now 44, was detained until March of 2009, when he was released on bail and wired up by the FBI to see if he could deliver on a claim that he had worked in the waste hauling industry in his teens and could make cases for the feds. News that his cooperation stemmed from a sex-solicitation arrest surfaced five months ago.

Law enforcement sources say the primary reason the government decided to give Fappiano and Bazzini — who received a year and a day sentence on Tuesday — much better plea offers was a "real fear" that jurors would be so outraged by Hughes's conduct that they would hold it against the government for making a deal with him, ignore the law and acquit, no matter what.

Whether the FBI and U.S. attorney's office should have entered a cooperation agreement with Hughes in the first place is a bone of contention for some law enforcers. But that issue is difficult to assess since his case is still under seal as are the specifics of his deal with the feds.

But there is agreement by several law enforcement officials, and virtually every defense lawyer Gang Land spoke to, that the decision by Judge Castel to permit defense lawyers to question Hughes about lies he told both his wife and the "teenager" he thought he was seducing convinced prosecutors to give deals to Bazzini and Fappiano in January.

Prosecutors Bruce Baird and Patrick Egan had tried to limit the cross examination, but when Castel indicated during a pretrial session that he was going to grant defense lawyers Raymond Perini and Lee Ginsberg some leeway in their questioning of Hughes, the prosecutors gave the gangsters a plea offer they couldn't refuse.

"The mobsters were charged with extortion but it's really stealing garbage stops and bid-rigging," said one source. "That's pretty tame stuff for jurors to deal with compared to having sex with little girls who but for the grace of God could be their daughters or granddaughters. The chance of jury nullification was very real."

The decision to toss the charges against the alleged cardboard thieves was presumably even easier to make: The total value of the stolen cardboard was about $16,000, an amount not likely to sway jurors versus a sex-scheming witness.

Nor was playing the dozens of tapes Hughes made without having him testify to authenticate them a good option. Some conversations appear to back up the notion that the men knew they were dealing in stolen cardboard. For instance, according to the indictment, on May 29, 2012, Giordano was recorded saying "he did not care where the cardboard came from as long as it went to him."

But others, like one a few days earlier, according to an FBI summary obtained by Gang Land, appear to tilt the other way. In one such conversation, Dontis is heard telling Hughes that "he doesn't want to do anything wrong. He's not a brokester, he's just a hard working Greek who just wants to make money."

Even if convicted, the trio could have received non jail terms, or sentences of less than a year behind bars.

Giordano's attorney, Michael Bachner, the only lawyer who responded to a Gang Land request for comment, said he and his client were pleased by the deferred prosecution decision. "From the get go," said Bachner, "we have taken the position that Mr. Giordano should not be prosecuted. And while it took longer than we would have wished, we're gratified with the result."

Neither Bharara, nor the FBI, would comment about this week's deferred prosecution, or the embarrassing decision to drop the charges against a third of the defendants in the case. They also declined to discuss the status of Hughes, including whether he is behind bars, or if, as prosecutors indicated last week, he is free on bail, and what type of supervision he has now.

In court papers, prosecutors wrote that Hughes "remains in virtual hiding, fearful for his safety and the safety of his close family members." His "ability to earn a living and to support his family is essentially non-existent," they wrote, adding that his "life will never return to the way it was prior to his arrest."

Prosecutors also wrote that different accounts they gave defense lawyers about how roll-off containers belonging to a Bazzini-connected carting company ended up in a Giordano company storage lot were caused by "miscommunication or misunderstanding" between Hughes and his supervising FBI agents, "rather than a deliberate effort by (Hughes) to mislead the government."

Re: Garbage [Re: Garbageman] #837308
04/12/15 04:24 PM
04/12/15 04:24 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
NJ Transit battles Papa Smurf(and loses)

article from Oct 2014

http://www.northjersey.com/news/nj-trans...amily-1.1114198

Most people would not choose to owe Carmine Franco — or his associates — anything. But that’s exactly the situation NJ Transit finds itself in, owing more than $8 million to the family of Franco, a convicted mob boss currently serving time in federal prison for racketeering.

In May, Franco admitted that he orchestrated a Mafia scheme to control North Jersey’s garbage business through threats and intimidation, forcing many owners out of their own businesses. But NJ Transit isn’t backing off.

This morning, the agency plans to dedicate another $150,000 to challenge a court ruling that gave Franco’s family $8.1 million for a piece of land needed to build new train tunnels under the Hudson River — a project that was canceled by Governor Christie in 2010.

And the costs for the public transit agency may not stop there. A private contractor has found that cleaning up the disputed parcel could cost $2 million, a bill the Franco family now says is NJ Transit’s responsibility.
Carmine Franco before his sentencing in 1998.

That’s on top of another $2 million NJ Transit already has paid lawyers over property disputes related to the canceled rail tunnel project.

“They’ve just procrastinated,” said Paul V. Fernicola, the attorney representing Franco’s family. “How long is this process supposed to take?”

Nancy Snyder, a spokes­wom­an for NJ Transit, declined on Tuesday to discuss the parcel or the agency’s appeal.

The legal fight centers on an awkward, 1.89-acre triangle of weeds and broken concrete that spills into Weehawken, Union City and Hoboken. Owned for years by Carmine Franco, who deeded it to his wife Mary and sister-in-law Carol, it was an industrial site used by a hodgepodge of auto repair, jitney bus and salvage yard companies, according to records filed in Superior Court in Hudson County.

Carmine Franco, who is 78 and from Ramsey, was known to his mob associates in the Genovese crime family as “Papa Smurf” and “Uncle Sonny.” Convicted in the early 1980s and again in the late 1990s for mob-related conspiracies, he was banned for life from the waste-hauling industry in New Jersey and many New York jurisdictions.

Franco eluded that ban, helping to create an alliance between the Genovese, Gambino and Lucchese crime families to exert control over the trash industry by using proxies to hide his role. He also admitted to mail fraud, wire fraud, and overbilling customers at a waste transfer station in West Nyack, N.Y., which he controlled.

When he was convicted, Franco faced a possible prison sentence of 45 years. His lawyers responded with a request that he be sentenced to a year of community service, at a church. Manhattan federal Judge Kevin Castel ultimately sentenced Franco to one year in prison. He also was ordered to forfeit $2.5 million to the United States.

The land originally caught the eye of NJ Transit officials in 2008 when the agency was looking for properties for its massive project to build a pair of train tunnels between New Jersey and New York. The project was called Access to the Region’s Core.

The agency sued for condemnation in December 2009, and initially offered to pay the Franco family $934,000, according to court filings by NJ Transit. A second appraisal increased the offer to $990,000.

Seven months later, Christie canceled the ARC tunnel project. In the years since, NJ Transit has done little with the land, other than surround it with a chain link fence festooned with signs marking it as NJ Transit property.

Meanwhile the surrounding neighborhood was experiencing a transformation. Thanks partly to NJ Transit’s light rail trains, which pass immediately north of the site, the area has exploded in recent years with new luxury condominiums and apartment buildings. All that development has left the Franco family’s 1.89-acre plot as one of the last large pieces of bare ground, just a few minutes’ walk from ferry lines to Manhattan.

Facing condemnation, the Francos hired an architect and an engineer to reimagine their land, and seek a higher price. Instead of a polluted bus parking lot, the architect envisioned residential buildings up to 13 stories tall, with 126 units and sweeping views of New York.

When its capacity for redevelopment was considered, the land’s value skyrocketed to $9.1 million, Fernicola said. After a 12-day trial a Hudson County jury largely agreed, ordering NJ Transit to pay the Franco family $8.1 million.

“Clearly NJ Transit substantially undervalued the property,” Fernicola said. “This property has amazing views of Manhattan.”

In addition to the site’s potentially growing value, NJ Transit also may have to deal with its contamination. The agency’s first, preliminary environmental study of the parcel, dated Sept. 16, 2008, found “a petroleum-like odor” and “elevated levels of contaminants … in both soil samples and groundwater samples,” according to court documents. A second study in March 2012 found PCBs and other pollutants, and estimated it would cost nearly $2 million to remove contaminated soil, remove drums of chemicals and cap dangerous portions of the site.

NJ Transit argues in court filings that the Franco family should pay to clean the site. Fernicola counters that because New Jersey law requires agencies that take land through condemnation to file two lawsuits simultaneously — one to condemn the property and a second to recover cleanup costs from the former owners — NJ Transit already has missed its only chance to get cleanup money from the Franco family.

Years after it started the condemnation process, “all NJ Transit has done was remove a single gasoline container” from the site, according to a legal brief filed in 2012 by Fernicola.

NJ Transit’s administration committee is scheduled to vote this morning on whether to spend another $150,000 on legal fees associated with the case. The agency originally allocated $2 million in November 2008 for lawyers working on property acquisitions related to the ARC tunnel.

Email: maag@northjersey.com

Re: Garbage [Re: pizzaboy] #837321
04/12/15 07:01 PM
04/12/15 07:01 PM
B
bronx Offline
Underboss
bronx  Offline
B
Underboss
that judge is pure govt. tough sentencer

Re: Garbage [Re: Garbageman] #837322
04/12/15 07:03 PM
04/12/15 07:03 PM
B
bronx Offline
Underboss
bronx  Offline
B
Underboss
a year and a day is a break.. gets his good time..month and a half off or so..think it is 54 days

Last edited by bronx; 04/12/15 07:04 PM.
Re: Garbage [Re: bronx] #837329
04/12/15 07:27 PM
04/12/15 07:27 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: bronx
a year and a day is a break.

Those are the three words the want to hear at sentencing: and a day.

Re: Garbage [Re: Long_Island] #837337
04/12/15 07:55 PM
04/12/15 07:55 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

Do 6 months in MCC or MDC then halfway house were he probably already is. Merlino must be getting out anyday

Re: Garbage [Re: NNY78] #837400
04/13/15 11:43 AM
04/13/15 11:43 AM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: NNY78
Ex-cop cuts deal with feds after alleged Mafia involvement
June 22, 2014

A retired state trooper busted for allegedly working as a mob enforcer while on the job has cut a sweetheart deal with prosecutors that will keep him out of jail — and wipe his record clean, The Post has learned.

Mario Velez, 46, agreed to the deal that requires him to do nothing more than stay out of trouble for three months. Velez of Peeks­kill was set to go to trial June 16 with three reputed mobbed-up associates also accused of making threats of force and fear to extort a trash hauler into turning over his business to them in 2011.

But under last-minute “deferred prosecution agreements” offered with the feds, they’ll avoid jail and future prosecution simply by remaining “law-abiding” citizens, agreeing to restricted local travel and following other terms over the three-month period.

“We feel this was the right and just thing for the government to do, based on his background,” Velez’s lawyer, John Meringolo, told The Post. “He’s a good citizen, a good trooper and a good father.”

Velez was mum about the deal — and his arrest.

“I took a beating, and I just want to get back on my feet,” he said.

Also arrested in 2013 were Pasquale P. Cartalemi Jr., 51, and his son, Pasquale L. Cartalemi 28, both of Cortlandt, at their company AAA Carting in Peekskill.

The trio had faced up to 40 years behind bars on extortion charges.

Another associate who caught a break, Andrew McGuire, 30, of Hawthorne, had faced up to 20 years on an extortion conspiracy charge.

The US Attorney’s Office declined to comment.

The suspects allegedly shook down and took control of Capital Waste Services in Hawthorne. McGuire is currently listed as the CEO of the carting business, according to state records. They all claim they’re innocent.

Sources said Velez retired under fire as a state trooper in 2012 after the FBI notified his bosses that he was a target of a probe that found rival Mafia families had banded together to circumvent official efforts to clean up the trash business. The state police had been looking separately into Velez’s actions at the same time that the feds were investigating,

An indictment said the suspects used strong-arm tactics to shake down the owners of legitimate companies and secretly assume ownership of their operations.

In January 2013, 32 people were indicted as a result of the probe, including Velez and his crew and alleged ringleader Carmine “Papa Smurf” Franco, 78. Franco was sentenced to a year in jail last month after copping a plea to a separate shakedown scheme.

http://nypost.com/2014/06/23/ex-cop-cuts-deal-with-feds-after-alleged-mafia-involvement/

I know this was a while back, just skimming through the thread. In my opinion, a cop-turned-mob-enforcer deserves some kind of sentence...he walks while the other guys faced 40 years in prison? At least the wiseguys were honest about who they were. Gross.

This whole story is pretty entertaining. Never thought that garbage would interest me for more than a millisecond but it's true, you never think about where your trash goes, or who picks it up for that matter. And that's one reason the mob could corner the market.

Re: Garbage [Re: BarrettM] #837402
04/13/15 11:55 AM
04/13/15 11:55 AM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss

Just stay away from the garbage.

Re: Garbage [Re: Long_Island] #837412
04/13/15 12:34 PM
04/13/15 12:34 PM
SonnyBlackstein Offline
Underboss
SonnyBlackstein  Offline
Underboss
/me chuckles at getthesenets.

MORGAN: Why didn't you fight him at the park if you wanted to? I'm not goin' now, I'm eatin' my snack.
CHUCKIE: Morgan, Let's go.
MORGAN: I'm serious Chuckie, I ain't goin'.
WILL: So don't go.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull