GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Ciment, joepuzzles234, 1 invisible), 130 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,461
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,873
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,321
Posts1,058,554
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Real Life Doesn't Apply #668416
10/01/12 01:40 PM
10/01/12 01:40 PM
toronto
mr. soprano Offline OP
Underboss
mr. soprano  Offline OP
Underboss
toronto
So as i've mentioned in another post, i've been going through the whole series for the 15th time! (or feels like that). It strikes me that the series seems as grounded to reality, as can be expected,as any other tv show. Though there are many moments that require you to suspend disbelief. I figure in this thread we can talk about these moments! This is in no way a thread meant to bash The Sopranos, one of the greatest shows ever!

The first thing i'll mention is how no one ever seems to use a silencer on their gun! You'd think they aren't afraid of the neighbours hearing guns firing off like firecrackers!

"strange things happen all the time, and so it goes and so it goes. and the book says, 'we may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us'" - MAGNOLIA
Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: mr. soprano] #668429
10/01/12 03:03 PM
10/01/12 03:03 PM
Wilson Offline
Capo
Wilson  Offline
Capo
Originally Posted By: mr. soprano
So as i've mentioned in another post, i've been going through the whole series for the 15th time! (or feels like that). It strikes me that the series seems as grounded to reality, as can be expected,as any other tv show. Though there are many moments that require you to suspend disbelief. I figure in this thread we can talk about these moments! This is in no way a thread meant to bash The Sopranos, one of the greatest shows ever!

The first thing i'll mention is how no one ever seems to use a silencer on their gun! You'd think they aren't afraid of the neighbours hearing guns firing off like firecrackers!

How about how Tony and his crew seem to be able to beat up people in public without the police showing up? The degenerate gambler outside the business offices during the work day? Or how about when Tony walks in Glorias office during work hours and physically grabs her by her arm and throws her against the wall in the office with the door open? Just the sight of a 6'1 (290 pound man) getting out of his car in rage mode, would have the people looking for security. In real life, the police would have been called both times.

Last edited by Wilson; 10/01/12 03:08 PM.
Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: mr. soprano] #668440
10/01/12 04:28 PM
10/01/12 04:28 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
The biggest fantasy is how strong they made jersey. In real life jersey mafia is weak compared to the new york mafia. In fact jersey is referred to and treated like the minor league mafia

Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: mr. soprano] #668513
10/02/12 08:15 AM
10/02/12 08:15 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
NickyScarfo Offline
Underboss
NickyScarfo  Offline
Underboss
Queenstown, New Zealand
How Tony (until the very end) is able to find and neutralise all rats before they can testify...

Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: mr. soprano] #668514
10/02/12 08:16 AM
10/02/12 08:16 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
NickyScarfo Offline
Underboss
NickyScarfo  Offline
Underboss
Queenstown, New Zealand
Also its mentioned over and over but in the time span of the Sopranos it would be a lot for there to be 1 or 2 murders in that family not like 30 plus.

Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: NickyScarfo] #668857
10/04/12 09:56 PM
10/04/12 09:56 PM
toronto
mr. soprano Offline OP
Underboss
mr. soprano  Offline OP
Underboss
toronto
Yeah i hear ya on that end. Though i always found the mob related stuff (murder, etc) to be super interesting. I do wish they spread the murders a bit better over Season 3 and 4. Season 3 going super overboard, and season 4 being slightly lacking excitment.

"strange things happen all the time, and so it goes and so it goes. and the book says, 'we may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us'" - MAGNOLIA
Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: JCrusher] #669365
10/08/12 07:38 AM
10/08/12 07:38 AM
New Jersey, USA
Feech_La_Manna85 Offline
Button
Feech_La_Manna85  Offline
Button
New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted By: JCrusher
The biggest fantasy is how strong they made jersey. In real life jersey mafia is weak compared to the new york mafia. In fact jersey is referred to and treated like the minor league mafia

JCrush, I think we had this conversation in another thread. What exactly would you have liked Chase to do?? Most people on this board liken the Lupertazzis to the Gambinos and the Demeos/Sopranos to the Decavalcantes, so im curious to know how you would have liked to it to have gone down?

Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: Feech_La_Manna85] #669449
10/08/12 07:27 PM
10/08/12 07:27 PM
J
joey_dice Offline
joey_dice
joey_dice  Offline
joey_dice
J
Capo
Are you guys for real, do you really sit around and think of this stuff, use of silencers, Jersey not bing bigger than NY. Its a freaking TV show, how long can you make it go on without ebellishment, i mean Christ, real bosses arent on the street more than 2 or 3 years without being popped and Tony lasted what 6. Give me a break, I mean what you think all mob hits involve silencers, the reality is that I bet less than 3% do in the real world. you guys make my head hurt.

Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: joey_dice] #670089
10/12/12 05:35 PM
10/12/12 05:35 PM
toronto
mr. soprano Offline OP
Underboss
mr. soprano  Offline OP
Underboss
toronto
Originally Posted By: joey_dice
Are you guys for real, do you really sit around and think of this stuff, use of silencers, Jersey not bing bigger than NY. Its a freaking TV show, how long can you make it go on without ebellishment, i mean Christ, real bosses arent on the street more than 2 or 3 years without being popped and Tony lasted what 6. Give me a break, I mean what you think all mob hits involve silencers, the reality is that I bet less than 3% do in the real world. you guys make my head hurt.

You're obviously missing the point of what a chat board is for. And the fact that you wasted your time replying to this, considering it makes your head hurt, leads me to believe you don't have enough in your head for it to be hurting that much. smile

Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: mr. soprano] #670101
10/12/12 08:35 PM
10/12/12 08:35 PM
J
joey_dice Offline
joey_dice
joey_dice  Offline
joey_dice
J
Capo
Yeah your right a chat board is for discussing stupid senerio's for an imaginary show........... let me guess you probably got the Sopranos trading cards too!

Last edited by joey_dice; 10/12/12 08:36 PM.
Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: JCrusher] #670126
10/13/12 06:13 AM
10/13/12 06:13 AM
Willenhall
Philip_Lombardo Offline
Underboss
Philip_Lombardo  Offline
Underboss
Willenhall
in other words a crew, seriously they made new york weak and new jersey strong

Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: joey_dice] #670185
10/13/12 07:00 PM
10/13/12 07:00 PM
toronto
mr. soprano Offline OP
Underboss
mr. soprano  Offline OP
Underboss
toronto
Yeah your right a chat board is for discussing stupid senerio's for an imaginary show........... let me guess you probably got the Sopranos trading cards too!

Oh, you're still talking? Sorry i'm going to have to ignore you from now on, as i don't try and argue with the mentally challenged.

Ignored.

Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: joey_dice] #670232
10/14/12 11:32 AM
10/14/12 11:32 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
NickyScarfo Offline
Underboss
NickyScarfo  Offline
Underboss
Queenstown, New Zealand

When was the last time a mob moss in America got "popped?" Al Bruno you can try and say but he was a capo. Your pretty much having to go back to the 80s.

Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: Feech_La_Manna85] #670478
10/16/12 12:53 PM
10/16/12 12:53 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Feech_La_Manna85

JCrush, I think we had this conversation in another thread. What exactly would you have liked Chase to do?? Most people on this board liken the Lupertazzis to the Gambinos and the Demeos/Sopranos to the Decavalcantes, so im curious to know how you would have liked to it to have gone down?

Yes we did and you seem to have a big problem with what i have said. No i didnt want them to make a shitty show Feech. For example the Tony B situation was handled great because jersey was terrifed of going to war with new york. However and the end of the series jersey beats new york which is im sorry impossible. I mean i just felt they could have made it interesting without trying to make jersey a powerhouse mob family

Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: JCrusher] #670528
10/16/12 05:03 PM
10/16/12 05:03 PM
J
joey_dice Offline
joey_dice
joey_dice  Offline
joey_dice
J
Capo
I dont get it, pluto was stronger than Micky how come he wasnt the boss. It's just wrong the Tom was smarter than Jerry, I mean they Tom so strong and they made Jerry weak.

Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: JCrusher] #670783
10/18/12 12:37 AM
10/18/12 12:37 AM
toronto
mr. soprano Offline OP
Underboss
mr. soprano  Offline OP
Underboss
toronto

Yes we did and you seem to have a big problem with what i have said. No i didnt want them to make a shitty show Feech. For example the Tony B situation was handled great because jersey was terrifed of going to war with new york. However and the end of the series jersey beats new york which is im sorry impossible. I mean i just felt they could have made it interesting without trying to make jersey a powerhouse mob family

While i think the show did hype up the Jersey mob a bit, i don't think Jersey won that war in the final season. At least it didn't come across that way to me. It seemed like New York just didn't think it was worth carrying on in a war no one agreed with. They all seemed to think Phil was a douche.

Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: mr. soprano] #684370
12/19/12 08:56 AM
12/19/12 08:56 AM
Your Mom's House
Jimmy_Two_Times Offline
Underboss
Jimmy_Two_Times  Offline
Underboss
Your Mom's House

I agree... from just the numbers alone, I'd say NY won... and they acuqiesced to get rid of phil and make money

While i think the show did hype up the Jersey mob a bit, i don't think Jersey won that war in the final season. At least it didn't come across that way to me. It seemed like New York just didn't think it was worth carrying on in a war no one agreed with. They all seemed to think Phil was a douche.

Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: Jimmy_Two_Times] #684486
12/19/12 05:53 PM
12/19/12 05:53 PM
Antonio Offline
Made Member
Antonio  Offline
Made Member
Bassically I think that the scenarioius that happened in the Sopranos happen in the mafia all the time however it's just much, much less public, beatings like this would happen in more "Mafia plagued" areas than in a busy, urban street somewhere. Although you always get crazy, cowboy scenarios, always...

I read of some Gambino associate get stabbed by a Colombo associate over money (Obviously) and the guy ended up in hospital and it was in broad daylight...

Tony Soprano : I thought I told you to back off Beansie!

Richie Aprile : I did, Then I put it in drive..
Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: mr. soprano] #684790
12/21/12 02:15 PM
12/21/12 02:15 PM
D
DonJon Offline
Button
DonJon  Offline
D
Button
[quote=JCrusher][quote=Feech_La_Manna85][quote=JCrusher]While i think the show did hype up the Jersey mob a bit, i don't think Jersey won that war in the final season. At least it didn't come across that way to me. It seemed like New York just didn't think it was worth carrying on in a war no one agreed with. They all seemed to think Phil was a douche.
Not to mention that at the end, what did the Sopranos have left? Paulie, maybe Tony. Sil was in a hospital bed, Bobby was dead, the leadership was in shreds. New York at least had folks to pick up the pieces onces Phil was whacked.

Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: mr. soprano] #690784
01/15/13 01:53 PM
01/15/13 01:53 PM
tommykarate Offline
Underboss
tommykarate  Offline
Underboss
Didn't even have that cus carlo flipped there all goin bye bye

One thing about wiseguys...the hustle never ends.-tony soprano
Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: NickyScarfo] #690826
01/15/13 07:36 PM
01/15/13 07:36 PM
J
joey_dice Offline
joey_dice
joey_dice  Offline
joey_dice
J
Capo
Originally Posted By: NickyScarfo

When was the last time a mob moss in America got "popped?" Al Bruno you can try and say but he was a capo. Your pretty much having to go back to the 80s.

Popped as in arrested, if I mean killed I would have said wacked

Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: joey_dice] #690830
01/15/13 07:47 PM
01/15/13 07:47 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland

So popped means arrested lol as Nicky thought i guessed it meant killed lol

Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: Camarel] #691164
01/16/13 06:38 PM
01/16/13 06:38 PM
massachusetts
scarfacetm Offline
Underboss
scarfacetm  Offline
Underboss
massachusetts
Originally Posted By: Camarel

So popped means arrested lol as Nicky thought i guessed it meant killed lol
I always thought popped meant killed as well. I think pinched would of been the better term to use.

"Death is the answer to all problems. No man, no problem."

"I'd rather be hated for who i am, than loved for who i am not"
Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: mr. soprano] #691185
01/16/13 07:56 PM
01/16/13 07:56 PM
stevapalooza Offline
Button
stevapalooza  Offline
Button
What I want to know is how Tony got away with almost beating a New York made guy to death. How the hell was that just swept under the rug? That guy never made a beef? He just forgot about it?

Last edited by stevapalooza; 01/16/13 07:56 PM.
Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: stevapalooza] #691187
01/16/13 07:57 PM
01/16/13 07:57 PM
On the toilet
EastHarlemItal Offline
BANNED
EastHarlemItal  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
On the toilet
Originally Posted By: stevapalooza
What I want to know is how Tony got away with almost beating a New York made guy to death. How the hell was that just swept under the rug? That guy never made a beef? He just forgot about it?

Because it was a TV show.

"Because I'm the Boss"

Tony Salerno
Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: EastHarlemItal] #691311
01/17/13 05:47 AM
01/17/13 05:47 AM
massachusetts
scarfacetm Offline
Underboss
scarfacetm  Offline
Underboss
massachusetts
Originally Posted By: EastHarlemItal

Well the guy lost his teeth and fractured his jaw so he probably couldn't say anything. Carmine knew about it and talked to Tony about it.

Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: scarfacetm] #691558
01/18/13 11:59 AM
01/18/13 11:59 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
NickyScarfo Offline
Underboss
NickyScarfo  Offline
Underboss
Queenstown, New Zealand
Originally Posted By: scarfacetm

Well the guy lost his teeth and fractured his jaw so he probably couldn't say anything. Carmine knew about it and talked to Tony about it.

The beating was justified, I think even most NY guys would agree you don't make comments like that about the daughter of a boss

Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: NickyScarfo] #691657
01/18/13 06:30 PM
01/18/13 06:30 PM
massachusetts
scarfacetm Offline
Underboss
scarfacetm  Offline
Underboss
massachusetts
Originally Posted By: scarfacetm

The beating was justified, I think even most NY guys would agree you don't make comments like that about the daughter of a boss
I don't think you make a comment like that about ANYONE's daughter really. That's just asking for an ass kicking.

Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: mr. soprano] #691663
01/18/13 06:42 PM
01/18/13 06:42 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Or a curbstomping tongue

Re: Real Life Doesn't Apply [Re: mr. soprano] #692588
01/24/13 03:29 AM
01/24/13 03:29 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
David Chase complained that fans wanted more violence, and he wanted more story. After each episode would end, if no one was killed , some fans would complain. That is reason they upped the total of guys getting killed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull