GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,888
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,326
Posts1,058,648
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Clamenza's death? #668087
09/27/12 09:35 PM
09/27/12 09:35 PM
Margate, NJ
Stugotz Offline OP
Wiseguy
Stugotz  Offline OP
Wiseguy
Margate, NJ
When Freddie asks Franke 5 Angels about Fat Clamenza he responds by saying "junk" in Italian. How did you think he died, were they implying that he was a junkie? Or did the dope peddlers in general lead to his death?

Overall a weak, anti-climatic end to one of the main characters, while every other characters death was dramatic in some way.

Re: Clamenza's death? [Re: Stugotz] #668112
09/28/12 11:59 AM
09/28/12 11:59 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

No there is nothing to show Clemenza was a junkie...quite the opposite. The "official" version of his demise was that it was a heart attack, however WIllie Cicci is emphatic it was "no heart attack" that killed him. The consensus on the boards has always been it was the pressure the Rosatos put on him, but I would not rule out their having had a more direct hand in his demise.....maybe they fed him to death!

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Clamenza's death? [Re: Stugotz] #668115
09/28/12 12:26 PM
09/28/12 12:26 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Stugotz
Overall a weak, anti-climatic end to one of the main characters, while every other characters death was dramatic in some way.

I believe that Coppola left Clemenza's death vague on purpose ... as a payback to Castellano for not coming to terms to appear in Part II.

Re: Clamenza's death? [Re: SC] #668121
09/28/12 01:25 PM
09/28/12 01:25 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: SC

I believe that Coppola left Clemenza's death vague on purpose ... as a payback to Castellano for not coming to terms to appear in Part II.

Possible, SC...very possible, but I also have to think he wanted to downplay the Clemenza character to allow Pentangeli to chew the scenery as well as he did.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Clamenza's death? [Re: dontomasso] #668129
09/28/12 02:39 PM
09/28/12 02:39 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
What dt and SC said. I think Cicci was deliberately stating that pressure--or foul play--was the cause to support his boss with Fredo.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Clamenza's death? [Re: Stugotz] #668130
09/28/12 02:40 PM
09/28/12 02:40 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
"Junk"? never heard it.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Clamenza's death? [Re: Stugotz] #668200
09/29/12 12:07 AM
09/29/12 12:07 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Frankie says "junk" when referring to the Rosato brothers and how they have ruined their grandmother's neighborhoods by allowing drugs and whores to be their priority, and they save the gambling for last. He calls it "ababania" (spelling phonetic), which is strictly a Sicilian-American word, because my cousins in Sicily never heard of it.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Clamenza's death? [Re: Stugotz] #668213
09/29/12 08:34 AM
09/29/12 08:34 AM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Babania is another way of calling heroin/junk/smack. So, Pentangeli refers to it as: "a babania."

La madre degli idioti e' sempre incinta.

Re: Clamenza's death? [Re: carmela] #668233
09/29/12 01:09 PM
09/29/12 01:09 PM
Margate, NJ
Stugotz Offline OP
Wiseguy
Stugotz  Offline OP
Wiseguy
Margate, NJ
Were the Rosatos the family who also allowed blacks and Peurto Ricans in they're crew or am I thinking about Joey Zasa?

Did we ever find out why Castellano didn't want to be in II? Did he ask for more money? Why would anyone pass up a chance being in the second movie after the first one was such a success?

Yeah, Little Pussy. You think he's going to fuck with Big Pussy? My Pussy? Tony Soprano, 1999
Re: Clamenza's death? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #668239
09/29/12 01:51 PM
09/29/12 01:51 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Frankie says "junk" when referring to the Rosato brothers and how they have ruined their grandmother's neighborhoods by allowing drugs and whores to be their priority, and they save the gambling for last. He calls it "ababania" (spelling phonetic), which is strictly a Sicilian-American word, because my cousins in Sicily never heard of it.

Babe, mark this day on your calendar: you are right again.

Those two scenes are distinct and quite apart from one another. How anyone would confuse them is beyond me. I think that those of us who have been Board members for quite awhile have viewed the film and read the novel several times; the new members' posts tend to reflect a superficial viewing and reading. Even multiple viewings and readings can result in errors. I encourage the new members to view the film and read the novel at least twice.

Last edited by olivant; 09/29/12 01:51 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Clamenza's death? [Re: olivant] #668247
09/29/12 02:56 PM
09/29/12 02:56 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

What Olivant said.

Frankie is complaining about the Rosatos selling drugs in the old neighborhoods, and presumably in other areas where it was supposed to be regulated when Vito made his deal. Moreover, they made most of their money selling drugs, in the old neighborhoods and in the "dark areas" where they recruited blacks and hispanics instead of Sicilians. In short, they were not "old school" mobsters, like Frankie and Clemenza before him.

Not that Michael cared. All he was concerned about was the bottom line. Sales of drugs in the ld neighborhoods or other forbidden places was a sop Michael used when it suited him, as was the case in III when he went after Joey Zasa for it.

Last edited by dontomasso; 09/30/12 04:38 PM.

Re: Clamenza's death? [Re: olivant] #668304
09/30/12 10:31 AM
09/30/12 10:31 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: olivant
I encourage the new members to view the film and read the novel at least twice.

I encourage new members to read the novel twice and the film at least ten times.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Clamenza's death? [Re: Stugotz] #668316
09/30/12 12:31 PM
09/30/12 12:31 PM
Tampa, FL
waynethegame Offline
Capo
waynethegame  Offline
Capo
Tampa, FL
I believe in a draft of the script Pentangeli talks to the Rosato brothers and basically says something to the effect of: "You drove Pete Clemenza to his grave, you and your brother", the indication being that they were screwing running New York up, and Clemenza was having all the pressure of dealing with it. Basically remember in the Sopranos how Silvio went to the hospital because it was too much pressure being the boss when Tony was in the coma or whatever? I'm guessing it was like that with Clemenza, but all the pressure (to say nothing of his weight, since he was pretty clearly obese) gave him a massive heart attack and he died.

Last edited by waynethegame; 10/06/12 06:21 PM.

Wayne

"Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
Don Lucchesi
Re: Clamenza's death? [Re: Stugotz] #668320
09/30/12 01:34 PM
09/30/12 01:34 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Were the Rosatos the family who also allowed blacks and Peurto Ricans in they're crew or am I thinking about Joey Zasa?

Did we ever find out why Castellano didn't want to be in II? Did he ask for more money? Why would anyone pass up a chance being in the second movie after the first one was such a success?

The Rosatos are a carbon copy of the real-life Gallo brothers, a faction in the NYC Profaci family that rebelled over territories promised them by the boss, who never delivered. Eldest brother Larry Gallo was garrotted in a Brooklyn bar and was saved from death by the unexpected arrival of a policeman.

Castellano didn't appear in II not only because he wanted more money than Paramount was willing to pay, but because he also wanted his girlfriend Ardell Sheridan (who played Mrs. Clemenza in GF) in II, and wanted her to be involved in scripting.

You should read Harlan Lebo's definitive "The Godfather Legacy," which has priceless material about the making of the Trilogy. Most of us here regard it as the bible.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Clamenza's death? [Re: Turnbull] #668348
09/30/12 04:41 PM
09/30/12 04:41 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Turnbull

The Rosatos are a carbon copy of the real-life Gallo brothers, a faction in the NYC Profaci family that rebelled over territories promised them by the boss, who never delivered. Eldest brother Larry Gallo was garrotted in a Brooklyn bar and was saved from death by the unexpected arrival of a policeman.

Castellano didn't appear in II not only because he wanted more money than Paramount was willing to pay, but because he also wanted his girlfriend Ardell Sheridan (who played Mrs. Clemenza in GF) in II, and wanted her to be involved in scripting.

You should read Harlan Lebo's definitive "The Godfather Legacy," which has priceless material about the making of the Trilogy. Most of us here regard it as the bible.

We do not regard it as the bible , it IS the bible, the torah, the koran, lao tzu, and buddhism.

Re: Clamenza's death? [Re: Turnbull] #668400
10/01/12 08:26 AM
10/01/12 08:26 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Turnbull

The Godfather Legacy focuses on Part I, en devotes 1/3 ot its pages to Part II and Part III. The Godfather Book by Peter Cowie, which for me is the bible, focuses on all three films.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Clamenza's death? [Re: Sonny_Black] #668735
10/03/12 11:27 PM
10/03/12 11:27 PM
A
Appolla Offline
Wiseguy
Appolla  Offline
A
Wiseguy
Hi Olivant and Sonny_Black,

I am afraid I am one of the new additions to the board.In my defense I saw the first 2 movies at least once a year in the past 15 years and 3 times over one week this summer (that is why I am here) plus I read the book over the summer several times. (My parents are fans what can I say)
But I have to say one of the reasons I registered to this board was that people seemed to be very intelligent and extremely civilized. Truly a quality difference from many other sites on the net.
Please allow newbies(me included) to make mistakes, for whatever reason(!!). For one I am enjoying the movie more/ read the book again after these conversations. It is very interesting to see other people's viewpoint! Thank you for all your inputs.

Last edited by Appolla; 10/03/12 11:28 PM.
Re: Clamenza's death? [Re: Stugotz] #668809
10/04/12 05:52 PM
10/04/12 05:52 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Appolla, welcome to the boards. New blood is always a good thing! I personally love to hear a different perspective on the films and/or novel. We always think we've discussed it to death, and then a new member like yourself comes along and uncovers things that we never considered.

Welcome! We look forward to hearing from you!

Oli, I was right AGAIN???? Damn, I am on a streak! Keep watching for my replies, though, because they say that three times the charm!

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Clamenza's death? [Re: Stugotz] #668840
10/04/12 08:19 PM
10/04/12 08:19 PM
S
sitdownsal Offline
Wiseguy
sitdownsal  Offline
S
Wiseguy
they are animals anyway,,let them lose there souls

A pint of your blood can fetch you fifty bucks. A shot of cum, three grand. You keep your life simple and you can literally self sustain.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull