GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (RushStreet, The_Marble_Guy, Malavita, 1 invisible), 244 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,930
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,337
Posts1,058,884
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Donnie Brasco hits the stand... #667792
09/25/12 06:47 PM
09/25/12 06:47 PM
Mammola
S
Stu_Katz Offline OP
Wiseguy
Stu_Katz  Offline OP
S
Wiseguy
Mammola
HI Everyone:
I mentioned last week, there’s a big public inquiry going on up in Montreal that’s trying to link the mafia and the local contstruction industry.

Yesterday, Joseph Pistone A.K.A. Donnie Brasco was asked to testify. The purpose for having him there was to better explain how the mob runs its operations.

i thought some of you might enjoy his testimony:

https://www.ceic.gouv.qc.ca/audiences/enregistrement-video.html?tx_cspqaudiences_pi1%5Buid%5D=20&partie=2&cHash=ebf1bf5eeebf47b777fd17d76eb0ce00

Re: Donnie Brasco hits the stand... [Re: Stu_Katz] #667793
09/25/12 06:51 PM
09/25/12 06:51 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Originally Posted By: Stu_Katz
HI Everyone:
I mentioned last week, there’s a big public inquiry going on up in Montreal that’s trying to link the mafia and the local contstruction industry.

Yesterday, Joseph Pistone A.K.A. Donnie Brasco was asked to testify. The purpose for having him there was to better explain how the mob runs its operations.

i thought some of you might enjoy his testimony:

https://www.ceic.gouv.qc.ca/audiences/enregistrement-video.html?tx_cspqaudiences_pi1%5Buid%5D=20&partie=2&cHash=ebf1bf5eeebf47b777fd17d76eb0ce00

Your link doesn't lead to anything . confused

Re: Donnie Brasco hits the stand... [Re: Camarel] #667794
09/25/12 06:53 PM
09/25/12 06:53 PM
Mammola
S
Stu_Katz Offline OP
Wiseguy
Stu_Katz  Offline OP
S
Wiseguy
Mammola
try copy and paste, let me know

Re: Donnie Brasco hits the stand... [Re: Stu_Katz] #667795
09/25/12 06:55 PM
09/25/12 06:55 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
try copy and paste, let me know

That's what i did into google nothing came up.

Re: Donnie Brasco hits the stand... [Re: Camarel] #667796
09/25/12 06:56 PM
09/25/12 06:56 PM
Mammola
S
Stu_Katz Offline OP
Wiseguy
Stu_Katz  Offline OP
S
Wiseguy
Mammola
copy and paste it in your address bar. not google.

Re: Donnie Brasco hits the stand... [Re: Stu_Katz] #667798
09/25/12 06:59 PM
09/25/12 06:59 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
copy and paste it in your address bar. not google.

Fair enough thanks i'll watch it later it looks interesting .

Re: Donnie Brasco hits the stand... [Re: Stu_Katz] #667813
09/26/12 12:21 AM
09/26/12 12:21 AM
C
conopizza Offline
Button
conopizza  Offline
C
Button
Thanks for posting this... I'm a little baffled what the hell Joe is doing there, 30+ years since he got pulled... And it's not like "Donnie" had any special knowledge of Montreal part of the "French Connection" other than that time he was in Little Italy with Lefty (and Mirra?) guarding a Carmine Galante meeting...

Also weird Joe is BLURRED OUT here when there are lots of other interviews with him in just sunglasses.

I like Joe and think the Quebecois lady is kinda cute (French accent, goth-like dyed black hair) but it doesn't seem there's much new here. Joe blathering about pump-n-dump schemes in part 4 as an example of 'legit' mob business is especially silly too.

Re: Donnie Brasco hits the stand... [Re: Stu_Katz] #667877
09/26/12 01:33 PM
09/26/12 01:33 PM
Your Mom's House
Jimmy_Two_Times Offline
Underboss
Jimmy_Two_Times  Offline
Underboss
Your Mom's House
Wow, this was interesting. I think it's interesting he still testifies on these matters being so far removed from things. But I guess not much has changed in the mob.

Re: Donnie Brasco hits the stand... [Re: conopizza] #667879
09/26/12 01:59 PM
09/26/12 01:59 PM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo
I agree Conopizza. This is a joke. Here is a guy whose case ended in 1981. WTF does he know about the Mafia today? Also I always question the numbers of how many people he supposedly put away. It ranges anywhere from 15 to 250. Rumor has it he inflates the numbers when he testifies like he is now doing with no actual participation whatsoever in the case and in the end he pads the numbers. I wonder what new number he is going to now say he put away?

Re: Donnie Brasco hits the stand... [Re: Beanshooter] #667880
09/26/12 02:21 PM
09/26/12 02:21 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Originally Posted By: Beanshooter
I agree Conopizza. This is a joke. Here is a guy whose case ended in 1981. WTF does he know about the Mafia today? Also I always question the numbers of how many people he supposedly put away. It ranges anywhere from 15 to 250. Rumor has it he inflates the numbers when he testifies like he is now doing with no actual participation whatsoever in the case and in the end he pads the numbers. I wonder what new number he is going to now say he put away?

This is what wikipedia says - The evidence collected by Pistone led to over 200 indictments and over 100 convictions of Mafia members. There's no source though so it's most likely bs i dont use wiki btw but i couldn't find antything else saying how much he put away .

Re: Donnie Brasco hits the stand... [Re: Camarel] #667891
09/26/12 03:17 PM
09/26/12 03:17 PM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo
Camarel. I defy anyome to name 250, 200, 100 or even 25! That Pistone either recorded or had personally a face to face with that put the guy away! Any takers?

Re: Donnie Brasco hits the stand... [Re: Beanshooter] #667894
09/26/12 03:21 PM
09/26/12 03:21 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Camarel. I defy anyome to name 250, 200, 100 or even 25! That Pistone either recorded or had personally a face to face with that put the guy away! Any takers?

I agree with you i'm just saying what wikipedia says . Btw i could probably do 25 you could probably name 25.

Re: Donnie Brasco hits the stand... [Re: Stu_Katz] #667897
09/26/12 03:26 PM
09/26/12 03:26 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland

Re: Donnie Brasco hits the stand... [Re: Stu_Katz] #667899
09/26/12 03:28 PM
09/26/12 03:28 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
The FBIwebsite says it led to 100 convictions also

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2008/march/pistone031308

Re: Donnie Brasco hits the stand... [Re: Camarel] #667921
09/26/12 05:30 PM
09/26/12 05:30 PM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo
Again, I defy anyone including the Feds to name them. He testified as a Mob expert on trials that he had nothing to do with and padded his numbers!

Re: Donnie Brasco hits the stand... [Re: Stu_Katz] #667922
09/26/12 05:42 PM
09/26/12 05:42 PM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo
This article says about how many really were. I see 5, where is the 250?

What goods will “Donnie Brasco” dish out at Quebec corruption probe?
Posted: 14 Sep 2012 07:14 AM PDT

This artist drawing shows undercover FBI agent Joseph Pistone, center, questioned by Assistant U.S. Attorney Barbara Jones at federal court in Manhattan, New York City on Tuesday, August 3, 1982, during the trial of five men accused of violating racketeering laws. At left is one of the defendants, Benjamin “Lefty” Ruggiero. So what can “Donnie Brasco” really teach people about corruption in Quebec, in 2012? The man who once infiltrated the New York mob in an operation that was immortalized in a Hollywood film is set to testify at Quebec’s corruption inquiry next week, according to a report. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP – WNBC-TV – Ida Libby Dengrove
MONTREAL – So how much light can “Donnie Brasco” really shed on modern-day corruption in Quebec?
The man who decades ago infiltrated the New York Mafia in an operation immortalized in a 1997 Hollywood film will testify next week at Quebec’s corruption inquiry, according to a report.
It wouldn’t be the first time on a high-profile witness stand for Joseph Pistone, the retired cop who assumed the Brasco identity during his undercover days and who is still hiding from the Mafia all these years later as a result of his old career.
One crime expert says Pistone remains an authority on the Italian Mafia and may be able to provide a broader picture of how the organization works.
But given that his expertise was gathered in another era, in another country, he might not have relevant specifics to share at Quebec’s inquiry, the expert said.
“He’s very knowledgeable, he’s very intelligent,” said Antonio Nicaso, an author and expert on the Mafia in Canada.
“But I don’t know what he can add about the Canadian side (of the Mafia).”
The French-language arm of the CBC reports that Pistone will testify on Monday — which happens to be his 73rd birthday. Spokespeople for the inquiry have not confirmed or denied the report.
Quebec’s Charbonneau commission is looking into criminal corruption in the construction industry and its ties to organized crime and political parties. Hearings are scheduled to begin again Monday after a nearly three-month summer pause.
Pistone is no stranger to testifying.
After infiltrating the infamous Bonanno crime family, and to a lesser extent the Colombo family, between 1976 to 1981, he spent the years that followed testifying in several trials that led to more than 100 federal convictions.
The Bonannos are alleged to have links to Montreal’s Rizzuto clan. In fact, Vito Rizzuto has spent the last several years in a U.S. prison in connection with 1981 murders that were referenced in the “Donnie Brasco” movie featuring Al Pacino and Johnny Depp.
Rizzuto is slated for release from a U.S. prison early next month.
Nicaso doubts that Pistone knows much about the Mafia in Canada or is up to date on current events. Montreal’s Mafia has been torn apart by a bloody power struggle since Rizzuto was extradited in 2006.
But Pistone is aware of just how the Mob functions — whether in Quebec or elsewhere — and might provide the commission with valuable insight.
“The Mafia is an organization that was capable of remaining in business for so long only because of its capacity to build relationships with politicians, businessmen, bankers,” Nicaso said.
“If they were only violent criminals, they wouldn’t have survived this long.”
Nicaso says that relationship with politics, legitimate business and the financial world is the key to understanding the Mafia’s reach.
Pistone noted in 1988, during testimony before a United States senate sub-committee, that organized crime was already undergoing a culture shift in that country.
“I think it has changed in that with the younger members coming up, they are not as dedicated to the society as the older individuals,” Pistone testified then, noting that the new generation was less tied to tradition.
“On the other hand, they have changed by diversifying more in their illegal activities. They are putting more of their illegal proceeds into legal businesses, legitimate businesses.”
Charbonneau commission spokesman Richard Bourdon said Thursday that he would not confirm Pistone’s presence next week. Witnesses to the commission are made public 24 to 48 hours in advance.
Pistone, who retired from the FBI in 1986, has worked as a consultant to law-enforcement agencies and as an FBI trainer since then. He has also authored several books and worked in film and television.
But the police legend leads a very secretive life.
He reportedly has a $500,000 bounty on his head and, even after three decades and an FBI warning for mobsters to leave him alone, Pistone still treads carefully.
In a 2005 interview with National Geographic about a documentary on the Mafia, Pistone indicated he was still taking precautions and travelling under an assumed name and in disguise.
In a 2008 interview with a journalist in Las Vegas, he changed the location of the interview at the last minute and when they finally met he was accompanied by bodyguards.
Source: vancouversun.com

Re: Donnie Brasco hits the stand... [Re: Beanshooter] #667923
09/26/12 06:10 PM
09/26/12 06:10 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
This article says about how many really were. I see 5, where is the 250?

What goods will “Donnie Brasco” dish out at Quebec corruption probe?
Posted: 14 Sep 2012 07:14 AM PDT

This artist drawing shows undercover FBI agent Joseph Pistone, center, questioned by Assistant U.S. Attorney Barbara Jones at federal court in Manhattan, New York City on Tuesday, August 3, 1982, during the trial of five men accused of violating racketeering laws. At left is one of the defendants, Benjamin “Lefty” Ruggiero. So what can “Donnie Brasco” really teach people about corruption in Quebec, in 2012? The man who once infiltrated the New York mob in an operation that was immortalized in a Hollywood film is set to testify at Quebec’s corruption inquiry next week, according to a report. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP – WNBC-TV – Ida Libby Dengrove
MONTREAL – So how much light can “Donnie Brasco” really shed on modern-day corruption in Quebec?
The man who decades ago infiltrated the New York Mafia in an operation immortalized in a 1997 Hollywood film will testify next week at Quebec’s corruption inquiry, according to a report.
It wouldn’t be the first time on a high-profile witness stand for Joseph Pistone, the retired cop who assumed the Brasco identity during his undercover days and who is still hiding from the Mafia all these years later as a result of his old career.
One crime expert says Pistone remains an authority on the Italian Mafia and may be able to provide a broader picture of how the organization works.
But given that his expertise was gathered in another era, in another country, he might not have relevant specifics to share at Quebec’s inquiry, the expert said.
“He’s very knowledgeable, he’s very intelligent,” said Antonio Nicaso, an author and expert on the Mafia in Canada.
“But I don’t know what he can add about the Canadian side (of the Mafia).”
The French-language arm of the CBC reports that Pistone will testify on Monday — which happens to be his 73rd birthday. Spokespeople for the inquiry have not confirmed or denied the report.
Quebec’s Charbonneau commission is looking into criminal corruption in the construction industry and its ties to organized crime and political parties. Hearings are scheduled to begin again Monday after a nearly three-month summer pause.
Pistone is no stranger to testifying.
After infiltrating the infamous Bonanno crime family, and to a lesser extent the Colombo family, between 1976 to 1981, he spent the years that followed testifying in several trials that led to more than 100 federal convictions.
The Bonannos are alleged to have links to Montreal’s Rizzuto clan. In fact, Vito Rizzuto has spent the last several years in a U.S. prison in connection with 1981 murders that were referenced in the “Donnie Brasco” movie featuring Al Pacino and Johnny Depp.
Rizzuto is slated for release from a U.S. prison early next month.
Nicaso doubts that Pistone knows much about the Mafia in Canada or is up to date on current events. Montreal’s Mafia has been torn apart by a bloody power struggle since Rizzuto was extradited in 2006.
But Pistone is aware of just how the Mob functions — whether in Quebec or elsewhere — and might provide the commission with valuable insight.
“The Mafia is an organization that was capable of remaining in business for so long only because of its capacity to build relationships with politicians, businessmen, bankers,” Nicaso said.
“If they were only violent criminals, they wouldn’t have survived this long.”
Nicaso says that relationship with politics, legitimate business and the financial world is the key to understanding the Mafia’s reach.
Pistone noted in 1988, during testimony before a United States senate sub-committee, that organized crime was already undergoing a culture shift in that country.
“I think it has changed in that with the younger members coming up, they are not as dedicated to the society as the older individuals,” Pistone testified then, noting that the new generation was less tied to tradition.
“On the other hand, they have changed by diversifying more in their illegal activities. They are putting more of their illegal proceeds into legal businesses, legitimate businesses.”
Charbonneau commission spokesman Richard Bourdon said Thursday that he would not confirm Pistone’s presence next week. Witnesses to the commission are made public 24 to 48 hours in advance.
Pistone, who retired from the FBI in 1986, has worked as a consultant to law-enforcement agencies and as an FBI trainer since then. He has also authored several books and worked in film and television.
But the police legend leads a very secretive life.
He reportedly has a $500,000 bounty on his head and, even after three decades and an FBI warning for mobsters to leave him alone, Pistone still treads carefully.
In a 2005 interview with National Geographic about a documentary on the Mafia, Pistone indicated he was still taking precautions and travelling under an assumed name and in disguise.
In a 2008 interview with a journalist in Las Vegas, he changed the location of the interview at the last minute and when they finally met he was accompanied by bodyguards.
Source: vancouversun.com

What goods will “Donnie Brasco” dish out at Quebec corruption probe? - Next to nothing i agree.

The article you produced says his testimony led to 100 convictions i don't see how you're counting 5 none are cited in this article.

Re: Donnie Brasco hits the stand... [Re: Beanshooter] #667925
09/26/12 06:13 PM
09/26/12 06:13 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Again, I defy anyone including the Feds to name them. He testified as a Mob expert on trials that he had nothing to do with and padded his numbers!

Maybe he did but a testimony from an undercover FBIagent in trials he had no personal knowledge of could still have persuaded a jury .

Re: Donnie Brasco hits the stand... [Re: Camarel] #667929
09/26/12 06:34 PM
09/26/12 06:34 PM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo
I agree, but his testimony was probably about the mob , whereas the other Agents worked tiredlessly on the case and gathered the evidence and he is taking credit for it. That's just wrong! the other agents made the case he was just window dressing! it botheres me, for wht it's worth.

Re: Donnie Brasco hits the stand... [Re: Beanshooter] #667932
09/26/12 06:43 PM
09/26/12 06:43 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
I agree, but his testimony was probably about the mob , whereas the other Agents worked tiredlessly on the case and gathered the evidence and he is taking credit for it. That's just wrong! the other agents made the case he was just window dressing! it botheres me, for wht it's worth.

Who gave more to the case than Pistone though he literally gave his life to it he could've been killed . If you're talking about cases he personally had nothing to do with but testified at i agree 100 %.

Re: Donnie Brasco hits the stand... [Re: Stu_Katz] #667936
09/26/12 06:48 PM
09/26/12 06:48 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
His testimony was largely about his involvement with the mob while he was undercover, his dealing with the Montreal branch and their dealing with the Bonnanos in NY.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: Donnie Brasco hits the stand... [Re: Dapper_Don] #667952
09/26/12 08:34 PM
09/26/12 08:34 PM
Mammola
S
Stu_Katz Offline OP
Wiseguy
Stu_Katz  Offline OP
S
Wiseguy
Mammola
Although he doesnt name names, he does allude to the fact that Vito Rizutto indeed was the Montreal member present at the killings of the 3 Bonanno capos.

Re: Donnie Brasco hits the stand... [Re: Camarel] #667984
09/27/12 04:49 AM
09/27/12 04:49 AM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo

This kind of proves my point on him testyfying about the mob. And the below says the 5:

This artist drawing shows undercover FBI agent Joseph Pistone, center, questioned by Assistant U.S. Attorney Barbara Jones at federal court in Manhattan, New York City on Tuesday, August 3, 1982, during the trial of five men accused of violating racketeering laws. At left is one of the defendants, Benjamin “Lefty” Ruggiero.

Re: Donnie Brasco hits the stand... [Re: Stu_Katz] #668095
09/28/12 01:37 AM
09/28/12 01:37 AM
C
conopizza Offline
Button
conopizza  Offline
C
Button
re: Pistone and Vito Rizzuto...

realistically, when we would he have ever known about Vito being part of the Three Capos Hit? Sonny and Lefty never told him...

meanwhile, Joe learns about Vito 20+ years later like the rest of us and has to re-explain that to the Canadians who'd already know the story because of Vito's extradition fight etc?

Joe obviously LOVES the spotlight and it seems to me the Quebecois wanted the publicity he'd bring in turn... even if he is blurred out!!

Seems silly grandstanding on both sides.

Last edited by conopizza; 09/28/12 01:39 AM.
Re: Donnie Brasco hits the stand... [Re: conopizza] #668097
09/28/12 03:55 AM
09/28/12 03:55 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: conopizza
re: Pistone and Vito Rizzuto...

realistically, when we would he have ever known about Vito being part of the Three Capos Hit? Sonny and Lefty never told him...

meanwhile, Joe learns about Vito 20+ years later like the rest of us and has to re-explain that to the Canadians who'd already know the story because of Vito's extradition fight etc?

Joe obviously LOVES the spotlight and it seems to me the Quebecois wanted the publicity he'd bring in turn... even if he is blurred out!!

Seems silly grandstanding on both sides.

I agree. I think they called him in to publicize hearing, rather than to get any info. He was on streets as undercover 31 years ago, now all of a sudden he has info they never had. He loves spotlight, and IMO, is undermining his reputation by grandstanding. He did great undercover job, but spent rest of life since trying to exploit it, and make self into a superhero with exaggerations. Going back and forth between living openly, then appearing in disguises is one example.

Re: Donnie Brasco hits the stand... [Re: jace] #668101
09/28/12 05:52 AM
09/28/12 05:52 AM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo
I agree! Just google Joe Pistone and you can see 100's of pictures of him not blurred out , but in Canada he has to hide? what a self promoting asshole!

Re: Donnie Brasco hits the stand... [Re: Stu_Katz] #668181
09/28/12 08:09 PM
09/28/12 08:09 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Although he doesnt name names, he does allude to the fact that Vito Rizutto indeed was the Montreal member present at the killings of the 3 Bonanno capos.

Rizzuto admitted his role in the 3 capos murder in court.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull