GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 275 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,590
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,062
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,364
Posts1,059,430
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 [Re: SC] #680637
12/04/12 01:23 AM
12/04/12 01:23 AM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Originally Posted By: SC
Let's keep this thread for the BE show.

" Sorry, Excuse Me, I'm not common to message board." Figured I'd ask the consigliere. Thank you for the advice I'll check out some some stuff

I hope they don't have a huge break between this season and next like they did Last year or was it the year before that I can't remember. I wonder how many seasons they would take this series as far as HBO Shows are concerned at least in the crime genre it seems 5-7 Seasons is the life of a show. Were there any shows that were ran longer than 6 or 7 seasons that anyone's familiar with.

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 [Re: SC] #680639
12/04/12 01:31 AM
12/04/12 01:31 AM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Nucky switches alliances a lot. I have to watch it again whats mellon doing with the distiilary he'll indict rothstein you think him and nucky will build a closer relationship to make a new bootlegging empire and use this guy as a pawn even though he'll get whacked depending on the timeline. Also is AR Asexual or gay all the other gangsters and rackateers always have a women with them at one point or another he never does.

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 [Re: SC] #681148
12/05/12 05:40 AM
12/05/12 05:40 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai

One touching part of the episode - when Richard brought Tommy to his girlfriend's (Julia) house and Julia's father told her to put Tommy in his son's room (which had been off-limits before). The father, in a somber and sober moment then told Richard that "soldiers don't come home like this" (or something to that effect).

He also said he would talk to her daughter, and I didn't get what Richard said. He seemed like giving up on her the way he presented himself. I know Richard is your favorite too, so any thoughts?

This show has a way of making me stop caring for the main characters. It did nothing for me to care for Nucky. :/Right now, there's still Chucky, Capone, Richard and all the women in general, simply because it was a white perfect looking man's world back then and none of these characters stood a chance.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 [Re: afsaneh77] #681167
12/05/12 10:49 AM
12/05/12 10:49 AM
New York
SC Offline OP
Consigliere
SC  Offline OP
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: afsaneh77

One touching part of the episode - when Richard brought Tommy to his girlfriend's (Julia) house and Julia's father told her to put Tommy in his son's room (which had been off-limits before). The father, in a somber and sober moment then told Richard that "soldiers don't come home like this" (or something to that effect).

He also said he would talk to her daughter, and I didn't get what Richard said. He seemed like giving up on her the way he presented himself. I know Richard is your favorite too, so any thoughts?

Richard said something to the effect, "as long as he's OK" (meaning the boy). He didn't want Julia's father to intervene on his behalf. I think Richard felt he dishonored himself by taking part in the murders of the gangsters.

He's definitely my favorite character (followed closely by Chalky).

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 [Re: SC] #681230
12/05/12 01:17 PM
12/05/12 01:17 PM
Queenstown, New Zealand
NickyScarfo Offline
Underboss
NickyScarfo  Offline
Underboss
Queenstown, New Zealand
My favourite character at this point is Eli, really like him in this series.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 [Re: NickyScarfo] #681235
12/05/12 01:22 PM
12/05/12 01:22 PM
New York
SC Offline OP
Consigliere
SC  Offline OP
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: NickyScarfo

I'm glad to see that he and Nucky have come to some sort of peace now. It was a little sappy but nice to see the two of them trying to fix the car and reminiscing about their youth. Also, at the end of the episode it was nice to see Nucky tell Eli that he didn't want anyone near them that THEY don't trust.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 [Re: SC] #681356
12/05/12 06:25 PM
12/05/12 06:25 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA

I'm glad to see that he and Nucky have come to some sort of peace now. It was a little sappy but nice to see the two of them trying to fix the car and reminiscing about their youth. Also, at the end of the episode it was nice to see Nucky tell Eli that he didn't want anyone near them that THEY don't trust.

I always say there's nothing like witnessing your brother murder someone that brings a family closer together... wink

I think Eli and Nucky are like oil and water. I expect that they'll be back at each other's throats next season.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #682457
12/10/12 03:30 PM
12/10/12 03:30 PM
East Central Europe
Z
Zrinski Offline
Wiseguy
Zrinski  Offline
Z
Wiseguy
East Central Europe
Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti
One thing I haven't liked is how wrong they got Luciano, they made him look like some dumb sidekick nothing like how he was in real life!

I agree they make him seem like an idiot

They portrayed most of historical gangster characters wrong, not only Luciano. Rothstein was a sociable guy and not really a gangster, just a gambler and businessman with certain 'friends' and connections. In BE he is some sort of coldhearted "mob boss". Nucky was a corrupt politician, not a gangster and murderer. They made Torrio look like some stereotypical Italian mob boss while he was in fact a complex person and his and Capone's organization wasn't even a mafia, they accepted people of all nationalities and many non-Italians held important positions. In BE Nucky tells Jimmy that he will always be a stranger there because he's not Italian, but this simply isn't historically correct. Besides, O'Banion's gang wasn't all-Irish either, he had important Italian members while in the BE he appears as some sort of anti-Italian stereotypical Irish mobster. IMO there are too many ethnic stereotypes and hollywood cliches in the show when portraying gangsters. Lansky gives the impression of some calculating Jewish businessman but at that time he was mostly known for being a thug (he was still a teenager FFS, not some criminal mastermind à la Hyman Roth). IMO they got Al Capone right but him getting into petty fights at that point in his criminal career also seems a bit strange.

Anyway, BE is pure fiction and has hardly any connections with historical reality of that time, at least as far as the world of organized crime is concerned, other than using the names of real criminals. Atlantic City at that time was peaceful, there were no major conflicts, yet alone gang wars. The massacre we saw in the final episode was way over the top. 40 or something people dead in one night in an event we don't know anything about. St. Valentine's Day massacre killed 7 and it shocked the entire nation. Also, Negroes playing important role in prohibition OC, fighting with the mafia... Makes it look like some cheap blaxploitation movie to be honest. Some plots seemed totally unrealistic to me, for example Nucky plotting the death of a mafia boss as if killing Masseria would solve any of his problems (the rest of the family would simply move on as if nothing has happened? we're supposed to believe that or what?), not to mention he had no crew of his own.

Don't get me wrong, I love the show and watch it, but it could have been done soooo much better. I don't understand why they placed the series in AC and decided to have Nucky as the main character. He simply isn't interesting enough. If they wanted to make a good series about gangster violence during prohibition, the story should be focused on Chicago or New York and main characters should be guys like Capone, O'Banion, Bugs Moran, Lucky, Frankie Yale or some Jewish mobsters. Or perhaps Masseria and Maranzano, personally I would love to see series about The Castellammarese War.

Last edited by Zrinski; 12/10/12 03:35 PM.
Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 [Re: SC] #682608
12/11/12 08:13 AM
12/11/12 08:13 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
At the time of season 3 Meyer Lansky was not a teenager. He was 21 years old and already well known among his peers for being smarter than your average gangster.

Rothstein was indeed a full blown gangster with interests not only in gambling and bookmaking but narcotics and bootlegging. He was an influence on both Luciano and Lansky.

As far as blacks being involved in gangland violence it wasn't until the thirties that the NY white mob interests decisively took over black and Puerto Rican criminal enterprises. It wasn't until the late forties early fifties that the Outfit was able to do the same. In both instances violence was required.

In the 1920s era there had just recently been the Chicago Race Riot. White newspapers of the time expressed outrage that blacks were actually fighting back. Unlike previous pogroms some whites actually died. Everybody bleeds.

Like Richard Harrow, Chalky White is fictional. But he's not as much of a stretch as some might think.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 [Re: SC] #683266
12/14/12 07:45 AM
12/14/12 07:45 AM
East Central Europe
Z
Zrinski Offline
Wiseguy
Zrinski  Offline
Z
Wiseguy
East Central Europe
At the start of the series Lansky was still a teenager. And weren't him and Luciano too young (in season 1) to be hanging with Rothstein and going to the meetings with him?

I know that Rothstein was involved in those rackets, but being a gangster means being part of some gang or mafia-like organization, ie. being part of a crew. Rothstein had no manpower behind him and yet he talks about "waging a war". With what 'army'? Not to mention him threatening Frankie Yale.

As far as I know blacks weren't involved in major bootlegging operations. Were there ever any real major gang wars between blacks and the mafia? I don't think so, but I could be wrong of course.

Last edited by Zrinski; 12/14/12 07:45 AM.
Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 [Re: SC] #683418
12/14/12 08:20 PM
12/14/12 08:20 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I'm not sure of the exact day and time when Rothstein first hired Lansky and Luciano but it certainly was in the very early 20s. IRL everyone who knew Lansky at that time remarked on his relatively studious nature compared to people like Siegel and Luciano.

Rothstein had people not only like Luciano and Lansky on the payroll but also folks like Dutch Schultz and Legs Diamond. As a bootlegger and later narcotics importer it stands to reason that he would have had enough manpower to at least give others pause before taking something he thought was his.

The war being shown is not between blacks and the mafia but rather between two , really three factions of white organized crime with a small black segment throwing in with one faction.

Enoch Johnson also never killed anyone, let alone a virtual foster son. The show is not a documentary. I agree that the amount of violence is over the top but that's entertainment.

As mentioned given that the twenties had seen recent race riots where blacks killed whites and vice versa and at this time there were independent black criminal operations it's not beyond belief that a Chalky White would exist. Resisting the Outfit's takeover of numbers in the 50s a black man killed one of Giancana's aides. Nobody is bulletproof no matter which organization they belong to.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 [Re: SC] #683548
12/15/12 03:31 PM
12/15/12 03:31 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Dod Gyp know that Gillian was going to inject him? He moved quickly to grab her hand, but he was still facing forward.

Also, why did Mellon give the word about Rothstein and the distillery? I presume Nucky told him, but that scene wasn't in the show.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 [Re: SC] #683681
12/16/12 02:19 PM
12/16/12 02:19 PM
Dandi Offline
Wiseguy
Dandi  Offline
Wiseguy
It'd seem that not only did AR not want to be part of the initial heroin deal, he also didn't want LL and ML going to one of his rivals with the proposition: http://www.hbo.com/boardwalk-empire/epis...er?cmpid=ABC471

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 [Re: SC] #698336
02/21/13 02:19 PM
02/21/13 02:19 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Just finished watching this. I think its pacing as a whole is pretty one-note, and its script patterns are also quite predictable (with some exceptions - see below), but the acting is all-round excellent. Michael Stuhlbarg, though less is demanded of him than of others, steals just about every scene in which he appears.

Last four episodes are great. Penultimate episode: haven't felt as tense as that since the final few episodes of The Sopranos. And I literally cheered/laughed with relief and clapped when Eli returns, tells Nucky he "made a deal... with him", and the men part for Capone. That moment of relief, when the shit's long past hitting the fan, backs are against the wall, and then the one man ballsy enough to back you shows up with words of assurance.

Episode 9's hiliarious - Nucky concussed/confused, mistaking Chalky for his shoeshine. lol

How do people feel about the handling of Owen's death, straight after Rosetti bashes a guy's head in on the beach? A pal of mine warned me of this moment without spoiling details, saying he thought it was dreadfully handled - the emotional and dramatic weight of the scene in which Owen's body is discovered completely ruined by the all-out murder scene before it. But it worked for me; I was shocked and gutted by it - and regardless of what came before the scene, the fact that Owen's death happens off-screen seems to heighten the character's vulnerability, Masseria's threat/power and the actual stakes Nucky's dealing with.

Buscemi's great.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 [Re: SC] #701401
03/07/13 06:18 AM
03/07/13 06:18 AM
M
MeyerLansky Offline
Underboss
MeyerLansky  Offline
M
Underboss
when season 4 going to be?

Last edited by MeyerLansky; 03/07/13 06:23 AM.
Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 [Re: SC] #701439
03/07/13 01:29 PM
03/07/13 01:29 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Probably the fall.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."