GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (RushStreet, Toodoped, 1 invisible), 116 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,858
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,510
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,313
Posts1,058,453
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mafia influence on movie industry #662352
08/26/12 06:14 PM
08/26/12 06:14 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline OP
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline OP
D
Underboss
I noticed even though there were many movies throughout the American history that featured mobsters, before "The Godfather" there doesn't seem to be many of them with mobsters having Italian surnames, even when the movie was inspired by real stories. For example, Lucky Luciano in "The marked woman" is called Johnny Vanning, in the series "Cain's hundred" about a mob lawyer in the 60s most of them have Anglo-Saxon surnames like Cook, Braddock, Norman etc. and I read that in a series about the FBI they had to cut out all the Italian names because of a complaint by Joe Colombo. There are many other examples, I just don't remember all of them. Did the mafia really give that much importance to this? I mean, is it possible the mafia paid the whole movie industry not to portray them accurately? That doesn't seem to make much sense, but why else no allusion to Italians in the movies?

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Mafia influence on movie industry [Re: Dwalin2011] #662382
08/26/12 07:18 PM
08/26/12 07:18 PM
D
danielperrygin Offline
Underboss
danielperrygin  Offline
D
Underboss
In the 40s there was a case involving the outfit in which they had controll over movie productions threw the unions and even could tell theats across the country.what to charge for a movie i have read. This case involved the entire leadership and they all "asked" nitti to take the fall, be went to watch the trains not long after. I am really interested in getting really into that case, it was a nation wide criminal conspiracy

Re: Mafia influence on movie industry [Re: danielperrygin] #662513
08/27/12 04:39 AM
08/27/12 04:39 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Through IACRL, Joe Colombo was also able to stop the use of the word "Mafia" being mentioned in the Godfather movie.

Prior to "The Godfather", to my knowledge, there was only one pure Mafia movie, the filmatisation of Valachi´s "The Valachi Papers" which flopped big time. So Mafia movies were not in demand until "The Godfather" paved the way. Of course, the characters in Mafia movies post "The Godfather", were mostly based on Italians.

[Linked Image]
Re: Mafia influence on movie industry [Re: Dwalin2011] #662516
08/27/12 04:55 AM
08/27/12 04:55 AM
Newcastle Upon Tyne
short841 Offline
Underboss
short841  Offline
Underboss
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Saw that documentary about the The Godfather and the Mob. And yeh Colombo stopped the word Mafia being used in the script but it was only mentioned once and that was at the begininng scene!

"You shouldn’t be embarrassed by your wealth. This contempt for money is another trick by the rich to keep the poor without it" - Michael Corleone

"You don't have to count the dead to understand the business of the Camorra" Gomorrah, Roberto Saviano
Re: Mafia influence on movie industry [Re: Dwalin2011] #662517
08/27/12 04:56 AM
08/27/12 04:56 AM
Newcastle Upon Tyne
short841 Offline
Underboss
short841  Offline
Underboss
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Saw that documentary about the The Godfather and the Mob. And yeh Colombo stopped the word Mafia being used in the script but it was only mentioned once and that was at the begininng scene!

"You shouldn’t be embarrassed by your wealth. This contempt for money is another trick by the rich to keep the poor without it" - Michael Corleone

"You don't have to count the dead to understand the business of the Camorra" Gomorrah, Roberto Saviano
Re: Mafia influence on movie industry [Re: Dwalin2011] #662521
08/27/12 05:18 AM
08/27/12 05:18 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
The Chicago Outfit had a lot influence on the movie industry in the late 40's and early 50's

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good
Re: Mafia influence on movie industry [Re: HairyKnuckles] #662525
08/27/12 06:10 AM
08/27/12 06:10 AM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
Through IACRL, Joe Colombo was also able to stop the use of the word "Mafia" being mentioned in the Godfather movie.

Prior to "The Godfather", to my knowledge, there was only one pure Mafia movie, the filmatisation of Valachi´s "The Valachi Papers" which flopped big time. So Mafia movies were not in demand until "The Godfather" paved the way. Of course, the characters in Mafia movies post "The Godfather", were mostly based on Italians.

The Valachi Papers isn't that bad a film imo it kinda cheesy but it's the best mafia movie i've seen set in that time .

Re: Mafia influence on movie industry [Re: short841] #662526
08/27/12 06:12 AM
08/27/12 06:12 AM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Originally Posted By: short841

When was it used i can't remember ?

Re: Mafia influence on movie industry [Re: Dwalin2011] #662821
08/28/12 12:17 PM
08/28/12 12:17 PM
boston/north end
Joerusso Offline
consigleire
Joerusso  Offline
consigleire
Underboss
boston/north end
In boston from late until lately local 25 in charlestown the local know for hiring mob member or assocaites and was a bunch indictmints grand jury anyways they didnt let no movie film in boston the filming crew rented from that union for a while u noticed only certain movies was mad in boston amd the area mostly independent films....its crazy cause now that whole bunch of movies been made and being made in boston all using local 25 equipment and also using boston based actors funny alot of them are from southie dorchester or charlestown area

raymond l.s.patrairca sr to u.s. state committee- " if i didnt have my case coming up ill to come back in here with two gentlemen and when this is over with and really lay down the law, yous guys been giving me nothing but alot of hookwhick and i wish i wasnt on trial and have this case and really tell the united states whats going on "
Jerry Anguilo on wartime with winter hill - " If we got to war we got Joe Russo and the maverick boys so we have nothing to worry about they can go to vietnam and come back untouched "
Re: Mafia influence on movie industry [Re: Dwalin2011] #663854
09/01/12 02:19 PM
09/01/12 02:19 PM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Part from an srticle written by Clarence Walker

When Thomas Edison invented the motion picture camera and projector he created the Motion Picture Patents Company called the 'Trust' to make movies based on Christian American values. But on the Lower East Side, Jewish entrepreneurs used Edison's invention to make their own films which were shown in thousands of five-cent Nickelodian movie theaters across the United States.

The Jewish outlaw filmmakers made movies with violent, sexy content, far more entertaining than Edison's wholesome, purified movies. Furious over the rip-off, Edison, with help from police acting on a city ordinance in Chicago, ordering the Jewish theaters closed down, fire and bloodshed followed.

A goon squad hired by Edison beat up directors, actors, forcing movie-goers out of theaters and set fires to city blocks where the so-called immoral movies were playing. Apparently Edison underestimated his competition. Gangsters "Big" Jack Zelig, "Lefty Louie" Rosenberg, "Gyp the Blood" Horowitz, and leaders of the notorious Yiddish Black hand stepped in to eliminate Edison and the city enforcement attempt to prevent their people from running movie theaters.

The war continued. Gangsters stole expensive film equipment out of Edison's warehouses in the Bronx, Philadelphia and Chicago and then ignited a fire that grew into a raging inferno that destroyed the properties.

By 1915 the Edison 'Trust' group disbanded and the Jewish outlaw filmmakers moved west, where they made bigger and better movies. The outlaws, with the help of their nicknamed friends, were assisted by another group of Jewish gangsters that helped them to dismantle Thomas Edison and the city laws of Chicago and won.

Who were these mighty men? Do these names ring a bell in today's motion picture industry? Here they are:

(1) Marcus Loews of Loews Theatres and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer

(2) Carl Laemmle of Universal Pictures

(3) Adolph Zukor of Paramount Pictures

(4) William Fox of Twentieth-Century Fox

(5) The Warner brothers, Harry, Albert, Sam and Jack.

Slavery, Racism, Interracial Sex, and the Mafia

During mid-19th century, concert saloons gained popularity in U.S. cities. These breezy places with swinging doors offered liquor, music, lewd dancing, and sex for sale. High on the list was sex between blacks and whites. Several salons in larger northern cities was owned by crime syndicates, blacks with mob front money, Italian and Jewish immigrants affiliated with the mob.

Even during Jim Crow segregated laws when the lynching of blacks was a weekly event, thousands of black men had sex with white women in brothels. It is reasonable to conclude that organized crime fronted these places with 'dirty' money.

The mixing of races in dance halls owned by Jewish and Italian crime syndicates was so prevalent the Ku Klux Klan waged fierce opposition to close these lurid places down. If owners failed to comply with local government regulations the KKK burned down the establishment. But nothing stopped progress to make a buck through mixing races. Organized crime re-grouped and started over again.

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull