GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (furio_from_naples), 396 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,980
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,354
Posts1,059,100
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I have not seen scarface #45892
08/02/04 07:31 PM
08/02/04 07:31 PM
PA
dragonwrangler95 Offline OP
Wiseguy
dragonwrangler95  Offline OP
Wiseguy
PA
OK i have never seen this movie, I plan on seeing it in the next month or so but how does it ran to the Godfathers?

Re: I have not seen scarface #45893
09/30/04 10:45 AM
09/30/04 10:45 AM
UK
scarfacelondon Offline
Made Member
scarfacelondon  Offline
Made Member
UK
Don't waste your time, go and see the film first, it is the greatest film ever. Godfather is a family movie, (not for family viewing) but Scarface is more about a man and his dream. You can't watch godfather again and again, this film fire you up every time you see it.

"Choose your friends carefully. Your enemies will choose you".
Re: I have not seen scarface #45894
09/30/04 12:46 PM
09/30/04 12:46 PM
Scotland
da_bad_guy Offline
Button
da_bad_guy  Offline
Button
Scotland
i agree, it's the best movie ever!! i watch it at least once a month and i never get tierd of it. it's a classic.

" say goodnight to da bad guy "
Re: I have not seen scarface #45895
09/30/04 06:09 PM
09/30/04 06:09 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Originally posted by scarfacelondon:
Don't waste your time, go and see the film first, it is the greatest film ever. Godfather is a family movie, (not for family viewing) but Scarface is more about a man and his dream. You can't watch godfather again and again, this film fire you up every time you see it.
I've watched Godfather 1 at least 5 times a week for the past 3 months

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: I have not seen scarface #45896
09/30/04 07:23 PM
09/30/04 07:23 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
You can't watch godfather again and again, this film fire you up every time you see it.
lol lol lol lol lol lol lol
Hahahahahahahaha, oh here let me dry my eyes.Ok, first, I must thank you for a great laugh. I watch The Godfather over and over, and I am yet to get sick of it. It "fires me up everytime I watch it" Scarface is a very entertaining film (though overrated in todays world by rappers and whatnot)but The Godfather is much better.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: I have not seen scarface #45897
09/30/04 08:43 PM
09/30/04 08:43 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I respectfully disagree with your statement that you cannot watch Godfather again and again. Quite the contrary my friend. I have been watching The Godfather over and over again for many years, and each time that you watch it, you pick up another point and are able to interpret a scene in a different manner. You will pick up details that you may have missed before. These are two totally different kinds of movies. Personally I can watch both movies over and over again and love them every time. But the proof is in the Gangster BB. Look at how may threads regarding the different interprtations of different scenes from Godfather compared to the threads in Scarface. I am in no way trashing Scarface, as I love this movie to death, but again Godfather is a different kind of movie where you learn different things every time you watch it.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: I have not seen scarface #45898
09/30/04 10:42 PM
09/30/04 10:42 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Scarface is FAR from being in the top 100 EVER. Let alone best ever. The Godfather is definately a lot better then Scarface. The story had more depth, clever writing, direction, and acting. Hell, Pacino's acting in The Godfather movies is arguably better then Scarface. Look at his eyes in the "It was an abortion" scene.

The Godfather isn't a "family movie." It's a movie about a family through generations with the mafia as a backdrop.

The Godfather = 10/10
Scarface = 8/10

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: I have not seen scarface #45899
10/01/04 12:03 AM
10/01/04 12:03 AM
Q
QTN Offline
Made Member
QTN  Offline
Q
Made Member
Bah, SCARFACE is truely one of the best gangster movies of all time. I mean its been super-popular for almost 21 years, and for a film to be still raved by people and new fans that converted to the Church of Montana all the time...it will stick around like the GODFATHER films have(for more than 30 years!)

Really, There has been 4 great gangster films in the last 35 years, being THE GODFATHER and THE GODFATHER PART 2, SCARFACE, and GOODFELLAS.

I mean the film's fanbase reaches across all ethnic, racial, and economical lines, and not just corporate gangsta wanksta rappers(aka Fake "Gangsters"). SCARFACE also built a fervent and devoted following among viewers who, perhaps seeing themselves as disenfranchised in much the way Tony is when the story begins (and admiring his blunt humor and honesty as a character), embraced him as nothing less than a hero. I wouldn't go that far, but I dig the movie.

Besides, look at the film's pop culture statue. Its definately royalty, for how many times have we heard people quote in lousy supposed-Cuban accent "Say Hello to my Little Friend"?!?!

SCARFACE's scriptwriter, and THREE-time Oscar-winning filmmaker, Oliver Stone says about SCARFACE:

"A lot of young businessmen quote me the dialogue, and when I ask them why they remember it, they say, 'It's exactly like my business.' Apparently, the gangster ethic hit on some of the business ethics going on in this country. SCARFACE has probably got me more free champagne than any film I've ever worked on. I've bumped into Spanish and Jamaican gangsters throughout the Caribbean and South America and gay gangsters in Paris, who bought me champagne all night long. I've even read reports in newspapers where gangsters have modeled themselves on Tony Montana"

Finally, SCARFACE is Al Pacino's personal favorite movie of his. That's right, even over the GODFATHER films.

As I said before, time is the greatest of standardized tests in existance, and SCARFACE still carves up commies for fun with a high-flying passing grade.
-------------------------------------------
Thanks to www.briandepalma.net for Stone's quote.

Re: I have not seen scarface #45900
10/01/04 02:08 AM
10/01/04 02:08 AM
Graveyard
The Iceman Offline
Official BB Hitman
The Iceman  Offline
Official BB Hitman
Underboss
Graveyard
Like others have said before me. You in fact can watch the Godfather over & over, as I have done.

But you can also watch Scarface over & over as well.

To the thread starter don't dilly, dally around watch Scarface right away. You'll be hooked, as I was.

Re: I have not seen scarface #45901
10/01/04 06:10 AM
10/01/04 06:10 AM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

You mentioned four gagnster films. ALL better then Scarface, yes Goodfellas too. Fan base? A fan base does not count at all. LOTR has a huge fan base, does that mean I have to bow down to it? Pacino's favorite movie of his? Irrelevant. Just because it's Pacino's favorite doesn't mean it's the best.

Scarface is a simple plot Rise and fall. The Godfather, and Goodfellas had much more realistic plots with a much better direction then Scarface had. Most people just say it is because they are fanatics over the entertainment of the movie.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: I have not seen scarface #45902
10/01/04 11:03 AM
10/01/04 11:03 AM
Q
QTN Offline
Made Member
QTN  Offline
Q
Made Member
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
Pacino's favorite movie of his? Irrelevant. Just because it's Pacino's favorite doesn't mean it's the best.
You disagree with the Don's decision?

Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
Scarface is a simple plot Rise and fall. The Godfather, and Goodfellas had much more realistic plots with a much better direction then Scarface had. Most people just say it is because they are fanatics over the entertainment of the movie.
Don Vercetti, I dig you man, but you are so wrong on this one "mang".

I'm sorry, but how many times has this board, or at least we GODFATHER fans know, that Mario Puzo invented alot of the formalities of the mafia in his novel that just doesn't exist and actually makes no sense, like the whole "Don" name issue. Besides, how many complaints has there been about the movie not being in reality with how the real mob works?

Neverless, so what? We all dig THE GODFATHER and we pay our tributes to it and its excellent(and superior) sequel.

Now GOODFELLAS is pretty darn accurate it seems in terms of how mafia hoods actually conduct business, and without the chilvarous nature of the GODFATHER films(NOTE: Of course I do know that GODFATHER was made as basically an operatic tale, and such chilvarous code of honor stuff makes sense and it totally works for GF) yet what is known in GOODFELLAS, besides Nicholas Pillegi's excellent novel WISEGUY, its all based on Henry Hill's sworned-testimony(especially who is behind the famed Luftwaffe theft).....but I say this only for the sake of objectivity.

Neverless, you say that people only dig SCARFACE for its entertainment? Isn't that like saying you would like to watch NASCAR to see the cars drive left all day? Fact is, movies are entertainment. Whatever a movie is a drama, action, comedy, sci-fi, Oscar-bait, movies entertain. I dare you to argue against that.

Besides, in Roger Ebert's list of his "GREAT MOVIES", his listing for the 1980's include movies like AMADEUS, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, THE RIGHT STUFF...and SCARFACE. I mean I know the pudgy critic has done some bonehead reviews(like giving thumbs up to the TOMB RAIDER films. Huh?!?!?!) but when hes right, hes right. Really, check out his SCARFACE review, for its quite a good read and really puts things in perspective.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F20030928%2FREVIEWS08%2F309280301%2F1023

Now yes SCARFACE is story-wise a rise & fall tale, but really this is appropriate for a gangster film since I don't know of any real-life "gangsters" that didn't rise high and mighty but ended up a corpse or at the bottom face down. Besides, GOODFELLAS and the GODFATHER trilogy if you realize are a rise & fall tales as well(with Al Pacino rising in the first film, then in the pinnacle of his power and non-humanization in the sequel, and his fall in GF3) and GOODFELLAS is of course the rise & fall story of Henry Hill.

Finally, look at some filmmakers that make a big deal of how they were very influenced by SCARFACE, like the decent Hughes Brothers who made the good MENACE II SOCIETY and the decent watchable FROM HELL.

I apologize for these long posts, but I am passionate about this sort of thing, and please Don Vercetti, just know I have nothing against ya, its just I disagree with you big time. Oh ya, screw LOTR!

Re: I have not seen scarface #45903
10/01/04 02:04 PM
10/01/04 02:04 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

The Don's choice? So Al Pacino's choice in favorite role means I can't disagree with him? rolleyes Al Pacino, when talking strikes me as a very artsy person who understands art. He said his favorite role was Scarface, based on his enjoyment, not his opinion of it's excellence. Some actors have had HORRIBLE times working on a role that became one of their best. It's based on his enjoyment. And it's his favorite ROLE, not movie. He is talking about his favorite character. I could say for example, my favorite character is Guido in "8 1/2" or Lenny in "Memento" but that doesn't mean I think the yare the best. The Godfather is in my opinion the greatest film ever made, followed by Citizen Kane.

I don't view films as simply entertainment. It's art. Can you honestly argue a movie like Scarface is better then a film much more complex and compelling? Like Fellini's La Dolce Vita? 21 Grams? Eastwood's "Mystic river"? Tarantino's "Pulp Fiction"? Can you honestly take a hard hitting story to an action cult classic? Scarface is one of my favorite movies, maybe top 20 but I wouldn't even say it's Top 100 ever. And why are you using quotes? Do you honestly think I care what Ebert thinks opposed to what I think? And correct me if I'm wrong, "Great Movies" isn't Ebert's Top 100, it's a collection of the 100 reviews he did every other week once he REACHED 100.

Scarface is an action classic with a very fun Pacino preformance, but it doesn't run that much deeper. Take a movie like Citizen Kane, a drama about a tycoon. Citizen Kane has much better cinematography, direction, and story itself. There are more than enough movies to name that are more compelling then Scarface.

Re: I have not seen scarface #45904
10/03/04 09:34 AM
10/03/04 09:34 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

scarface is a classic film- great storyline, great acting-good cast i think it was the sm=ame director who done untouchables. the godfather is better overall.i could watch gf over and over couldn't watch scarface over and over.

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: I have not seen scarface #45905
10/05/04 12:35 AM
10/05/04 12:35 AM
Australia Melbourne
Lukaz Offline
Associate
Lukaz  Offline
Associate
Australia Melbourne
Pacino had a very hard time working on The Godfather part 1, Everyone wanted him out except Coppola, Paramount didn't want him at the start.

Re: I have not seen scarface #45906
10/05/04 07:54 PM
10/05/04 07:54 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by dragonwrangler95:
OK i have never seen this movie, I plan on seeing it in the next month or so but how does it ran to the Godfathers?
So have you watched it yet? confused

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull