GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, 1 invisible), 249 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,324
Posts1,058,603
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
poison ivy #660456
08/16/12 02:00 PM
08/16/12 02:00 PM
New Jersey
Five_Felonies Offline OP
Underboss
Five_Felonies  Offline OP
Underboss
New Jersey
i'm sitting here scratching like a madman. i work outside landscaping and haven't had too many problems this year but last week we were clearing brush on the edge of a treeline and the homeowner warned us that it grew pretty thick there. wrong day to be wearing shorts thats for sure. my legs and arms are in sorry shape right now.

it's weird though because alot of the mexicans that we work with don't seem to get it that bad(not all of them). when i was a kid we had a friend that seemed to get it just from being near the woods. i've heard that some people can get it through the air but i'm not sure. he would get it so bad that his face would swell up and the doctor would have to put him on steroids. it reminded me of a joke that i heard that said "if the government wants to make a plant illegal, why not poison ivy?) share some of your experiences with this teriible plant.

It's either blue cheese with wings or go fuck yer mudda!
Re: poison ivy [Re: Five_Felonies] #660461
08/16/12 02:06 PM
08/16/12 02:06 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
We used to spend our summers in a small lake community in upstate NY when I was a kid. I would get poison ivy every summer. Benadryl works well. It will also help you sleep. Take two at bedtime. It's a miracle worker! Unless you want to be comatose, though, I wouldn't recommend it for day time!

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: poison ivy [Re: Five_Felonies] #660464
08/16/12 02:10 PM
08/16/12 02:10 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Originally Posted By: Five_Felonies
...when i was a kid we had a friend that seemed to get it just from being near the woods. i've heard that some people can get it through the air but i'm not sure.

I can honestly say, luckily, that I have never had contact with poison ivy. I've known folks who have, but my time in wooded areas has been relatively limited during my lifetime.

But, I've always heard you can only get it from direct contact. The thought that you might get it in some other way is new to me. Never heard this before.

What I did hear the other day on TV was that goats were being brought in (I forget where) to clear poison ivy patches. Goats will eat anything, including poison ivy. It seems that humans are the only creatures on earth who have a reaction to the plant; all other animals are immune to its effects.

Who knew?

(Now, I can't get that old song "Poison Ivy" out of my head!)

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: poison ivy [Re: Five_Felonies] #660471
08/16/12 02:21 PM
08/16/12 02:21 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Actually, that's not true, SV. For example, never burn poison ivy, as the fumes can be very dangerous to your lungs if inhaled. The other is that the oil can survive a long time, so if you touch something that has the oil on it, you can get it, even if you've never left the house.

For example, if your dog rubbed against some and you then pet your dog, you can get it. If someone was working in the garden and got the oil on their clothes, and you now touch those same clothes, you can get it.

Re: poison ivy [Re: Sicilian Babe] #660473
08/16/12 02:24 PM
08/16/12 02:24 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
FF,

Did you try an oatmeal bath?

It's cheap and it works.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: poison ivy [Re: Five_Felonies] #660478
08/16/12 02:45 PM
08/16/12 02:45 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I remember the oatmeal baths when my kids had chicken pox. They did work well!

Re: poison ivy [Re: Sicilian Babe] #660479
08/16/12 02:47 PM
08/16/12 02:47 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I know I had chicken pox when I was little, as did my siblings and was trying to think of what we took a bath in. It wasn't oatmeal. I wanna say baking soda, but would that inflame it? confused I don't remember

Btw, it's only recently with commercials that I learned that having the chicken pox as a kid can cause shingles as an adult. I didn't know that. confused

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 08/16/12 02:47 PM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: poison ivy [Re: Five_Felonies] #660480
08/16/12 02:51 PM
08/16/12 02:51 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Yes, same virus. My mom, my brother, my aunt, my MIL and my daughter have all had shingles, and they're horrible.

Re: poison ivy [Re: Sicilian Babe] #660560
08/17/12 12:35 AM
08/17/12 12:35 AM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Actually, that's not true, SV. For example, never burn poison ivy, as the fumes can be very dangerous to your lungs if inhaled. The other is that the oil can survive a long time, so if you touch something that has the oil on it, you can get it, even if you've never left the house.

For example, if your dog rubbed against some and you then pet your dog, you can get it. If someone was working in the garden and got the oil on their clothes, and you now touch those same clothes, you can get it.

I think that what the news reporter meant was that humans are the only species that has a reaction to physical contact with the plant, or its active ingredient (the oil). I mean, goats certainly don't, because the whole point of the story was that omnivorous goats are an environmentally friendly way of dealing with a poison ivy problem.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: poison ivy [Re: Signor Vitelli] #660561
08/17/12 12:57 AM
08/17/12 12:57 AM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe

I think that what the news reporter meant was that humans are the only species that has a reaction to physical contact with the plant, or its active ingredient (the oil). I mean, goats certainly don't, because the whole point of the story was that omnivorous goats are an environmentally friendly way of dealing with a poison ivy problem.

Signor V.

What do you mean are goats trying to eat the poison ivy??

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull