GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Turnbull, m2w), 248 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday Tommasino Neri.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,438
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,840
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,507
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,307
Posts1,058,334
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Harold Konigsberg Freed #659450
08/09/12 09:33 PM
08/09/12 09:33 PM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
Talk about your original gangsters. whistle
Hit man freed to die in retirement home

Quote:
Legendary Jewish gangster Harold (Kayo) Konigsberg has been sprung from an upstate prison in a surprise parole decision that will allow him to live out his final days in a posh gated community in Florida, the Daily News has learned.
The still-remorseless 86-year-old mob hit man was quietly released in June from the maximum-security Mohawk Prison, where he spent nearly five decades for a gangland murder.
He might have died behind bars after being sentenced to 20 years to life for the 1961 contract killing of Teamsters big Anthony (Three Fingers) Castellito, on orders from union rival Anthony (Tony Pro) Provenzano.

Konigsberg — suspected by the feds in as many as 20 other mid-20th century mob hits — used a Venetian blind cord to strangle Castellito in the kitchen of the dead man’s upstate vacation home. His body was buried in New Jersey but never found.

Retired NYPD detective and veteran mob buster Joseph Coffey said it’s a disgrace that Konigsberg is free.

“I knew him well and he was the worst of the worst,” Coffey said. “He enjoyed killing and enjoyed getting paid for it...

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Harold Konigsberg Freed [Re: Lilo] #659471
08/10/12 02:41 AM
08/10/12 02:41 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
The state had death penalty back when he was convicted, does anyone know how he escaped it ?

Re: Harold Konigsberg Freed [Re: jace] #659474
08/10/12 03:16 AM
08/10/12 03:16 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
He gave up a lot of info to the feds. He talked about murders, burial sites and named names. I think Tony Provenzano got the worst of it but also Bonanno capo Joe Ziccorelli got its share.
But Konigsberg never testified against anybody, to the best of my knowledge. Perhaps he chickened out.

[Linked Image]
Re: Harold Konigsberg Freed [Re: HairyKnuckles] #659517
08/10/12 02:03 PM
08/10/12 02:03 PM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
He gave up a lot of info to the feds. He talked about murders, burial sites and named names. I think Tony Provenzano got the worst of it but also Bonanno capo Joe Ziccorelli got its share.
But Konigsberg never testified against anybody, to the best of my knowledge. Perhaps he chickened out.

Do you think they were afraid to put him on stand because his crimes might overshadowed those of whom he testified against ? A jury could have been totally turned off when they herd his confessions on stand. I'm surprised I never heard of him, but I am new to this, he sounds like a worse maniac than recent informers.

Re: Harold Konigsberg Freed [Re: jace] #659630
08/11/12 05:54 AM
08/11/12 05:54 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Originally Posted By: jace
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Do you think they were afraid to put him on stand because his crimes might overshadowed those of whom he testified against ? A jury could have been totally turned off when they herd his confessions on stand. I'm surprised I never heard of him, but I am new to this, he sounds like a worse maniac than recent informers.

You may be right Jace.
But also, (And I´m def no expert on US laws, so anybody who has some insight in this, please do correct me if I´m wrong) prior to the 60s, criminals were not allowed to testify against other criminals unless there were additional witnesses (not incriminated in the same crime) giving testimony. I think a law was later passed in the 60s allowing this.
Not even Valachi testified against a member of the Mafia until 1969 when Carmine Persico was convicted of highjacking.
I think Konigsberg was already convicted and sentenced to life by that time.

And also, at that time there was no Witness Protection Program. Perhaps the thought of living out the rest of his life, isolated in a prison down in Texas and without interacting with other prisoners (as in the case of Valachi), was not an option for Konigsberg.

[Linked Image]
Re: Harold Konigsberg Freed [Re: HairyKnuckles] #660380
08/16/12 02:05 AM
08/16/12 02:05 AM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
Not sure if it links, but here's an article in LIFE claiming Konigsberg was a rat.

Click.

Re: Harold Konigsberg Freed [Re: BarrettM] #660430
08/16/12 12:54 PM
08/16/12 12:54 PM
AZ
Turnbull Online content
Turnbull  Online Content

AZ
I read a book about him a few years ago written by his nephew. He was an ultra-bad guy--seemed to live for hurting people for the sake of harm. He acted as his own lawyer in his last trial and infuriated the judge.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Harold Konigsberg Freed [Re: Turnbull] #660668
08/17/12 03:14 PM
08/17/12 03:14 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
I read a book about him a few years ago written by his nephew. He was an ultra-bad guy--seemed to live for hurting people for the sake of harm. He acted as his own lawyer in his last trial and infuriated the judge.

I read that book, TB. "Blood Relation," right?

I though it was well written, but was most impressed that the author didn't try to whitewash his uncle's life. The guy was a psycho and his nephew didn't try to hide it.

I do remember one part of the book that made me laugh out loud. Konisberg had just beaten a murder charge, but felt that he had to get his family's blessing to marry a shiksa.

Talk about priorities! The guy killed without conscience, but when it was time to take a wife he needed his family's permission to marry a Gentile! lol

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Harold Konigsberg Freed [Re: pizzaboy] #662244
08/26/12 03:21 AM
08/26/12 03:21 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

I read that book, TB. "Blood Relation," right?

I though it was well written, but was most impressed that the author didn't try to whitewash his uncle's life. The guy was a psycho and his nephew didn't try to hide it.

I do remember one part of the book that made me laugh out loud. Konisberg had just beaten a murder charge, but felt that he had to get his family's blessing to marry a shiksa.

Talk about priorities! The guy killed without conscience, but when it was time to take a wife he needed his family's permission to marry a Gentile! lol

Who would marry him!! The woman must have been as crazy as he was.

Re: Harold Konigsberg Freed [Re: Turnbull] #662245
08/26/12 03:24 AM
08/26/12 03:24 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss

I read that book, him and his nephew both came off as bad people. Konigsberg for obvious reasons, his nephew for way he capitalized on his uncle, and tried to condemn him at same time. As awful as his uncle was, the nephew who wrote book was being a sneak in how he approached uncle and tricked him into interviews, it seemed very sleazy and underhanded.

Re: Harold Konigsberg Freed [Re: Turnbull] #662246
08/26/12 03:27 AM
08/26/12 03:27 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss

I read that book, him and his nephew both came off as bad people. Konigsberg for obvious reasons, his nephew for way he capitalized on his uncle, and tried to condemn him at same time. As awful as his uncle was, the nephew who wrote book was being a sneak in how he approached uncle and tricked him into interviews, it seemed very sleazy and underhanded.

Re: Harold Konigsberg Freed [Re: Lilo] #676908
11/15/12 10:08 AM
11/15/12 10:08 AM
tommykarate Offline
Underboss
tommykarate  Offline
Underboss
A posh gated community? Sarcasm? This guy can't possibly have money left rite?

One thing about wiseguys...the hustle never ends.-tony soprano

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull