GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (furio_from_naples, 1 invisible), 313 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,890
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,327
Posts1,058,665
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Latest Dark Knight Rises trailer [Re: IvyLeague] #656448
07/22/12 12:10 PM
07/22/12 12:10 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Chopper, THE DARK KNIGHT was many things, but "realistic"? I think the term you're looking for is "believable," but that's a subjective concept so what do I know? I like to think Nolan's Batman movies, no matter how fantastical they go (and they do go fantastical) there is always a sense of grounded reality to them.

Call me a cynic, but for whatever I do buy the idea of the U.S. government allowing Bane's occupation, even in spite of that movie universe's President claiming he doesn't negotiate with terrorists. Yet what does that govt. do? Give in. I just accept that, and I even liked that scene of JGL on the bridge confronting the military near the end.

More and more, this movie ages well for me personally, especially in the details. Like THE DARK KNIGHT, I think the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. I mean really, who didn't like that "exile" set piece? That was brilliant. (TDK might be slightly better than TDKR, but that's like saying Abbey Road might be better than the White Album.)

Really we've had a good summer when we have two "awesome" superhero movies in TDKR and AVENGERS, and I really can't pick which is better. The Internet has a bug up it's ass in spite of this wonderful season for that genre (and shit, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN was decent too.)

Originally Posted By: IvyLeague

* Again, after the brutal fight between Batman and Bane, no blood? Or, for that matter, after the cop (played by Matthew Modine) got shot.

Blame that on the era of PG-13, where heaven forbid you can bash someone's head in but it's OK if no blood. Weird but in that regard, we're back in the pre-1980spre-PG-13 era where blood wasn't that frequent in such big popcorn blockbusters. If Bale was smoking in TDKR, MPAA would give the movie a R rating.

* And when the cops were charging Bane's guys in the street, what happened to their guns? Yes, they were trapped underground for 3 months but I don't remember seeing their guns confiscated. Anyone notice the few female cops charging along as well? rolleyes

* And speaking of guns, why did Joseph Gordon Leavitt's character throw his gun away after he shot those two Bane guys dressed as construction workers? Heaven forbid a COP use his gun in SELF DEFENSE!

You want my pet theory? No evidence, but I like to believe in exchange for the regular food/water supplies being lined down to those cops, Bane forced them in exchange to give up their guns in those same buckets. (Yeah it's a stretch, but the concept is sound.)

What do you mean by that line about the female cops? That they're not that many women cops there, or that they're there at all?

That JGL gun toss came to my mind as well, but a friend of mine argued that it thematically helms back to BATMAN BEGINS when Christian Bale threw away that gun, and well with JGL's fate, I suppose that makes sense.

I also wonder if JGL tossed it because he didn't want to get distracted with that investigation and all that, he was too busy to solve that mystery. I mean this is the same city after all that chased Batman instead of guys who hijacked the stock market. (Misplaced priorities by the local police if you ask me.)

* While I loved Michael Cain's acting (very emotional) the ending would have been better if you took away the final 2 minutes or so. You know, since Bruce/Batman felt he hadn't given "everything" he had to Gotham yet. People who've seen it will know what I mean.

I will disagree with you by arguing this:

Click to reveal..
I think Nolan, despite being criticized for being too cerebral, too grim, too hanged up on logic, is a sentimental sap really. I think that since he got the keys to the kingdom and more or less do as he pleased with TDKR and force WB to reboot the character on their own, he decided to give something to "his" Bruce Wayne that rarely happens: A happy ending.

It sounds simple and not a big deal, but Batman is a James Bond: Forever sequels upon sequels, forever out there kicking butt, but his "happy endings" are nothing more than to beat the bad guy and survive.

In fact, I don't remember a Batman story/novel where he's able to walk away from the job and assumingly live out a happy traditional life with wife and presumingly kids as well. Frank Miller's THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS and later the cartoon BATMAN BEYOND had Batman forced to retire due to age and are alone, both forced back into the game whether by putting the cowl back on or getting a new guy to wear them. But both foretell a bitter old age for Bruce Wayne.

I seem to remember pre-1980s when DC Comics had their alternate realities, one different Earth had Batman and Catwoman settling down. But that's the only exception to my knowledge.

So yeah in Nolan's world, Batman "dies" but Bruce Wayne lives out his days with Catwoman. No tragic bitter ending for him. So in terms of Batman fandom, I can see why many are left in tears by it. Of course when WB reboots Batman at the movies, we'll go back to James Bond Batman, and that's fine with me.

I really loved that ending shot of JGL in the Batcave, assumingly to become the new protector as...Nightwing? I like that. Not every sequel-promising ending needs an actual sequel. That's what fanfiction is for.

Re: Latest Dark Knight Rises trailer [Re: IvyLeague] #656457
07/22/12 12:49 PM
07/22/12 12:49 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Box office estimates so far are almost $170 million.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Latest Dark Knight Rises trailer [Re: IvyLeague] #656491
07/22/12 05:22 PM
07/22/12 05:22 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline OP
IvyLeague  Offline OP
I

Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
What do you mean by that line about the female cops? That they're not that many women cops there, or that they're there at all?

It was about to become a massive, hand to hand brawl. What were they gonna do?

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Latest Dark Knight Rises trailer [Re: IvyLeague] #656500
07/22/12 06:03 PM
07/22/12 06:03 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee

It was about to become a massive, hand to hand brawl. What were they gonna do?

Let me quote a movie I loved as a kid, THE MONSTER SQUAD: "Kick him in the nards!"

Re: Latest Dark Knight Rises trailer [Re: IvyLeague] #656529
07/22/12 08:21 PM
07/22/12 08:21 PM
Amsterdam
C
Chopper2012 Offline
Capo
Chopper2012  Offline
C
Capo
Amsterdam
I know there's nothing realistic about a guy dressing up as a bat and jumping rooftops, perhaps that was the wrong choice of words.

But the Dark Knight felt more believable indeed, and that is what Nolan brought to the Batman Legend: a more realistic, grittier take on the tale. I enjoyed TDKR a lot, but with the atomic bomb, certain people coming back from serious injury with a vengeance etc., it had much more of a comic book feel to it all.

And one thing I haven't mentioned yet: the Selina Kyle character was great. Smart, dangerous and sexy.

Re: Latest Dark Knight Rises trailer [Re: IvyLeague] #656550
07/23/12 12:52 AM
07/23/12 12:52 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline OP
IvyLeague  Offline OP
I

So this is where Nolan got the idea...

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Latest Dark Knight Rises trailer [Re: IvyLeague] #657888
07/30/12 07:00 PM
07/30/12 07:00 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Slightly off-topic, I was talking with some friends about why is it that Batman seems to be eternally popular despite the changes in times and culture. I felt stupid for not mentioning Batman's #1 trump card immediately: His Rogue's Gallery.

The Joker
Penguin
Two Face
Poison Ivy
Mr. Freeze
Scarecrow
The Riddler
Scarface
Harley Quinn
Ra's al Ghul
Bane
Black Mask
Killer Croc
The Mad Hatter
Solomon Grundy*
Hush
Man-Bat
Firefly
Victor Zsasz

And so many others but those were the ones I remembered directly by memory. (I was going to add Catwoman too, but do people consider her a Bat-villain anymore?) I mean most of those names and their own particular, interesting gimmicks (most with a psychological flavor of some kind to them) is why I think Batman is still popular. You're only as good as your villain. Or Villains actually.

*=Not exclusively a Batman villain (originally a Green Lantern adversary actually) but I remembered him so I'll count him as well.

Re: Latest Dark Knight Rises trailer [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #657976
07/31/12 12:57 PM
07/31/12 12:57 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
A nice end to a terrific trlogy. Hathaway stole the show IMHO.
Good thing the Nolan productions are over cause Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine are getting a little long in the tooth.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Latest Dark Knight Rises trailer [Re: IvyLeague] #658100
08/01/12 02:06 AM
08/01/12 02:06 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline OP
IvyLeague  Offline OP
I

Did Tom Waits Inspire Heath Ledger's Joker?

Heath Ledger’s performance as The Joker in The Dark Knight is legendary. So is Tom Waits.

If these thoughts seem disconnected, you clearly need to watch this video.

The 1979 Australian TV interview with then 29-year-old Waits has been making the viral rounds on the Internet this weekend, and for good reason -- Waits' voice is virtually indistinguishable from Ledger's memorably creepy Joker. The only difference? Waits is speaking this way in real life.

Also worth noting is interviewer Don Lane's impressive -- and presumably unintentional -- rendition of Phil Hartman's Frank Sinatra impression.

The two share a genuinely awkward (read: hilarious) conversation -- witness Waits struggling to sit up and Lane attempting to avoid second-hand smoke to no avail.

Ledger's extreme commitment to his role as The Joker has been a topic of interest for years, particularly after the actor's untimely death.

But it seems that a little credit may be due to Waits's unique voice -- and perhaps even his casually bizarre demeanor.

Do you see the similarity? Let us know in the comments.

This story originally published on Mashable here.

http://news.yahoo.com/did-tom-waits-inspire-heath-ledgers-joker-video-193319410.html

Re: Latest Dark Knight Rises trailer [Re: IvyLeague] #659123
08/07/12 10:33 AM
08/07/12 10:33 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
NickyScarfo Offline
Underboss
NickyScarfo  Offline
Underboss
Queenstown, New Zealand
Just seen the movie, wasn't too bad. Didn't like the ending though would of been better if batman had died like we initially thought. A heroic and noble act saving the city and then the end. Instead now were going to get loads of other movies.

Re: Latest Dark Knight Rises trailer [Re: NickyScarfo] #659125
08/07/12 10:44 AM
08/07/12 10:44 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: NickyScarfo
Just seen the movie, wasn't too bad. Didn't like the ending though would of been better if batman had died like we initially thought. A heroic and noble act saving the city and then the end. Instead now were going to get loads of other movies.

Even if Batman did get nuked as you would prefer, you really think Warner Bros. will just end the (very lucrative) Batman movie series like that? He's become one of those characters that like James Bond, we'll always be getting more movies.

They're "rebooting" Batman (and rebooting a reboot at that) regardless if Batman got exterminated literally or not. There won't be a JGL spin-off (or Catwoman spin-off for that matter.)

Hell there was a report the other day that the "new" Batman would premiere inn the planned JUSTICE LEAGUE movie (2015?), and then his new film series starts the year later.

~If rumors are right, Summer 2015 we could very well have both AVENGERS 2 and the JUSTICE LEAGUE movie.

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 08/07/12 10:47 AM.
Re: Latest Dark Knight Rises trailer [Re: IvyLeague] #660976
08/19/12 04:48 PM
08/19/12 04:48 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

I'm not a batman fan but i went to see this film today and i was impressed with the film,

The outside scenes of the house where Bruce Wayne lives was filmed at Wollaton Hall which is in my home town of Nottingham..

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Latest Dark Knight Rises trailer [Re: IvyLeague] #661031
08/19/12 11:35 PM
08/19/12 11:35 PM
Providence, RI
F
Fat_Ralph Offline
Button
Fat_Ralph  Offline
F
Button
Providence, RI
I thought this film was excellent as another poster put, "it was a good end to a great trilogy", I dont wanna go any further or my inner nerd will come out, I was a pheen for the comics coming up..

Nolan is a badass director/writer, everything Ive seen him hasnt let me down, def one of the best in the last 8/10 yrs easy..

"NEVER GET HIGH ON YOUR OWN SUPPLY"-ELVIS AARON PRESLEY
Re: Latest Dark Knight Rises trailer [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #661032
08/19/12 11:40 PM
08/19/12 11:40 PM
Providence, RI
F
Fat_Ralph Offline
Button
Fat_Ralph  Offline
F
Button
Providence, RI
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

The Joker
Penguin
Two Face
Poison Ivy
Mr. Freeze
Scarecrow
The Riddler
Scarface
Harley Quinn
Ra's al Ghul
Bane
Black Mask
Killer Croc
The Mad Hatter
Solomon Grundy*
Hush
Man-Bat
Firefly
Victor Zsasz

Good list, forgot a few but nicely done off the top... One villian forgot and who is off-topicly linked to TDKR is "King Snake" who is actually Bane's father, just sayin..

Re: Latest Dark Knight Rises trailer [Re: IvyLeague] #661037
08/19/12 11:56 PM
08/19/12 11:56 PM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
^^^^^ Thanks For Sharing. I happened to be a big fan of "King Snake."

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: Latest Dark Knight Rises trailer [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #661046
08/20/12 12:45 AM
08/20/12 12:45 AM
Providence, RI
F
Fat_Ralph Offline
Button
Fat_Ralph  Offline
F
Button
Providence, RI
Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti
^^^^^ Thanks For Sharing. I happened to be a big fan of "King Snake."

No problem bro, me too he was badass, him and his "crew"--he actually shot Bane in one of the comic books(remember)when King Snake was just about to shoot BatMan and Bane jumped in the way, it was a crazy issue to say the least..

Re: Latest Dark Knight Rises trailer [Re: IvyLeague] #661100
08/20/12 09:37 AM
08/20/12 09:37 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Honestly I don't remember King Snake so that's why I didn't mention him.

A Batman villain I really like that unfortunately the comics have never tackled yet was believe it or not from the Adam West TV show: Bookworm. (Played by Roddy McDowall.)

He's one of those classical Golden Age villains that's so ridiculous, it's adorable. Photographic memory of every book he's ever read, staging crimes using that knowledge. His Achilles heel is that he lacks Zero original creativity, going into crime after a failed career as a novelist, a detail I rather enjoy.

I think he's asking for a good "reboot" into the Batman comic universe.

Re: Latest Dark Knight Rises trailer [Re: IvyLeague] #680394
12/02/12 07:49 PM
12/02/12 07:49 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Just saw this movie twice in the past two days, real good!!!

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull