GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 282 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday Tommasino Neri.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,438
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,840
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,508
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,307
Posts1,058,335
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? #651565
06/14/12 11:52 PM
06/14/12 11:52 PM
C
CarloRizzo Offline OP
Button
CarloRizzo  Offline OP
C
Button
I'm wondering if any of you know the types of sentences guys get in countries like Italy, Russia, mexico or others with organized crime groups.

I'm sure they are all much softer than America so I guess guys there can get convicted for serious stuff and not spend their whole lives in prison like so many American mobsters do.

Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: CarloRizzo] #651575
06/15/12 02:36 AM
06/15/12 02:36 AM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Interesting Topic CR..I'm curious to know how the government deal with them in Russia. The one gangster Siemon Machlvich or whatever whose on the FBI top 10..has a lot of clout to elude authorities. He set up a company in the suburbs of Philly stole millions, wasn't ever even in the area which is the funny thing about it. Mexico half of those guys get killed for nothing it seems like anarchy over there..I bet tourism is struggling due to all the bad press "MORTAL COMBAT..FINISH HIM!!!"

Last edited by DickNose_Moltasanti; 06/15/12 02:38 AM.

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #651579
06/15/12 03:09 AM
06/15/12 03:09 AM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
In Italy there is the 416 bis (Associazione Mafiosa) literally Mobbed Up Association.
It's kinda like the RICO Act, if you're proven to be part of a larger criminal enterprises you can be sentenced to twice the original incarceration's length. Plus you can get less liberties within jail if you are sentenced to 41 bis (aka in the underworld as Carcere Duro "Though Jailhouse"). 41 bis has also been used for terrorists.

The 416 bis was established in 1982 after the mob murder of the General Dalla Chiesa.
The 41 bis was established in 1986, mostly to spread fear within the rising left-wing terrorists and crazy mobsters like the Corleonesi.

Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: CarloRizzo] #651597
06/15/12 10:04 AM
06/15/12 10:04 AM
M
m2w Offline
Underboss
m2w  Offline
M
Underboss
in italy members of the mafia are charged with mafia association (a sort of RICO)and if they are particularly dangerous they get 41 bis the maxim security prisons
who is charged for mafia association is usually charged with other crimes too like drugs, weapons, extortions, murder and so on
the sentences varies it depends for drugs are usually by far lower than states but for other crimes are the same
the difference is that in italy i think is by far easier to get out of prison for health problems and other things in fact even sentenced for life mafia boss can get out sometimes

Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: CarloRizzo] #651950
06/17/12 09:44 PM
06/17/12 09:44 PM
Slapout, Alabama
R
ronnie_little Offline
Made Member
ronnie_little  Offline
R
Made Member
Slapout, Alabama
I could not imagine how bad a Russian prison camp is. Food, hygene, etc....

Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: ronnie_little] #651951
06/17/12 09:49 PM
06/17/12 09:49 PM
New Jersey
Five_Felonies Offline
Underboss
Five_Felonies  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
Originally Posted By: ronnie_little
I could not imagine how bad a Russian prison camp is. Food, hygene, etc....
see for yourself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9JDJdaMs-Y

It's either blue cheese with wings or go fuck yer mudda!
Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: Five_Felonies] #652869
06/23/12 02:06 PM
06/23/12 02:06 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
As far as I know, in Russia (where I come from) the laws against organized crime are a complete chaos. For example, you can get 15 years for robbery, but less than 10 years for murder in some cases. For example, I heard about a case of a businessman who was given only 4 years for having ordered a murder. I could understand if he were formally acquitted (even though that would usually mean he has bought the judges), but being acknowledged as guilty of murder and given such a ridiculous sentence doesn’t make any sense from any point of view. I also read about a mobster (who unfortunately was later acquitted) for whom even the prosecution asked only 10 years with a suspended sentence even though he was indicted for two murders. The explanation may be that these two were invalids, but still, if they were able to order murders even in such a condition…
In other cases there are heavy sentences though, up to life in prison.
There is a law similar to RICO though, but unfortunately it’s rarely used, even though the sentences can be heavy enough.

By the way, a question about the laws in Canada: I just watched the “Mob stories: the big guy” documentary and read some articles on internet and I have a question: why was Frank Cotroni given only 8 years for murder? Just because he pled guilty (but still, it’s murder anyway, why only 8 years?) or did he buy the judges? When lesser members of his clan were arrested for murder, they were given much heavier sentences.

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: Dwalin2011] #652888
06/23/12 03:43 PM
06/23/12 03:43 PM
Antimacy Offline
Wiseguy
Antimacy  Offline
Wiseguy
Dwalin, to answer your question about why did he only receive eight years in prison, I think I might be able to clear it up for you.

Here in Canada we have three (3) types of Murder charges:

1st Degree Murder (Life Imprisonment with chance of parole in 25 years)

2nd Degree Murder (Life Imprisonment with the chance of parole in 10-25 years)

Manslaughter - Unintentional kill (If life imprisonment is ordered, there is no minimum time that is automatically required to be served before parole eligibility. Those sentenced to life imprisonment for manslaughter would be eligible for parole after serving 7 years. It may be possible for the court to delay parole eligibility for a life sentence for manslaughter up to 10 years. It is also common for manslaughter convictions to result in sentences other than life imprisonment. A 9 year sentence, which is not uncommon, would allow the offender to be paroled after serving 3 years of his sentence. If a firearm is involved in the offence, a minimum sentence of 4 years is required [parole eligible after serving 1/3rd of this]).

Since Cotroni was convicted of Manslaughter he had to serve a minimum of 4 years since a firearm was involved and it was up to the judge to allocate a sentence, thus he was given eight years at the discretion of the judge.

Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: CarloRizzo] #652891
06/23/12 05:12 PM
06/23/12 05:12 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

The fact that anyone, anywhere, can have the chance for parole when they're guilty of first degree murder is beyond me.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: IvyLeague] #652895
06/23/12 05:34 PM
06/23/12 05:34 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
But how did Cotroni manage to turn his indictment for murder into manslaughter? What did he say at the trial during his guilty plea to make the judge believe it was unintentional? It's not like it was a drunken brawl with somebody accidentally killed. He had a hitman shoot somebody. Or did he say he ordered a non-fatal wound?

Last edited by Dwalin2011; 06/23/12 05:35 PM.

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: CarloRizzo] #652899
06/23/12 06:03 PM
06/23/12 06:03 PM
Amsterdam
C
Chopper2012 Offline
Capo
Chopper2012  Offline
C
Capo
Amsterdam
Originally Posted By: CarloRizzo
I'm wondering if any of you know the types of sentences guys get in countries like Italy, Russia, mexico or others with organized crime groups.

I'm sure they are all much softer than America so I guess guys there can get convicted for serious stuff and not spend their whole lives in prison like so many American mobsters do.

Countries like Italy or Russia have very tough sentencing guidelines and the prisons over there can be hell, but my country does have much softer sentencing than the US. But, a life sentence, although rare, is a life sentence over here. No change of parole, you'll never see the outside again.

Currently, a crew in Amsterdam is standing trial for a couple of murders over here. The prosecution has asked for the life sentence against some of its members, and my two cents is that they will get it.

Interestingly, the star witness in this trial has been paid 1.4 million by the prosecution and has been given an new identity in....the US.

Last edited by Chopper2012; 06/23/12 06:04 PM.
Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: CarloRizzo] #652910
06/23/12 08:10 PM
06/23/12 08:10 PM
Antimacy Offline
Wiseguy
Antimacy  Offline
Wiseguy
@IvyLeague, I'd like to hope that we, as a society, are forgiving people. So that although a person may have committed a horrendous crime, we'd be civil enough to hope and allow for their rehabilitation if they can prove that they can be. Here's an excerpt from a piece about 1st Degree Murder in Canada.

"Despite a sentence of "life imprisonment" being imposed, the vast majority of first degree murderers will eventually be released back into society. Their freedom, however, will be limited by the conditions of parole for the remainder of their lives. Further, a breach of parole could easily result in them having to return to prison to serve additional time."

Even though you have a chance of being paroled, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll receive it.

@Dwalin2010, I'm not familiar with the Cotroni arrest, only that he and two others were arrested for murder of a drug dealer (the name escapes me). That being said I can only think of two plausible reasons as to why he was given Manslaughter. 1) He was initially charged with Manslaughter or 2) During the course of the trial the Prosecution or the Jury/Judge lowered the criminal charge to Manslaughter either through insufficient evidence or some other means.

Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: CarloRizzo] #652934
06/24/12 04:00 AM
06/24/12 04:00 AM
Australia
M
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica Offline
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica  Offline
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
I know China, Thailand and Indonesia routinely execute drug traffickers and Triad members. I guess that's pretty harsh.

As far as Australia, a life sentence generally means the rest of the convicted's natural life, although often with a term set for a 'non-parole period'. Of course, a life sentence is generally only handed out in the case of murder. For instance, drug trafficker and gang boss Carl Williams was convicted of several murders in 2007 and sentenced to life imprisonment with a non-parole period of 35 years. Her served three before he was bashed to death with the stem of an exercise bike.

Mostly, though, its spree and serial killer/sex offenders that get the life sentence. Most drug traffickers will be sentenced to a maximum of 10 to 15 years for massive scale drug networks (last time I checked, it was a mandatory 7 years for possesion with intent to supply) There's been cases of biker extortion plots that have resulted in a laughable few years, if that. Australia does however have RICO style laws in place, and generally an individual can be charged as part of a whole.

(cough.)
Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: Antimacy] #652937
06/24/12 05:06 AM
06/24/12 05:06 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Antimacy
@IvyLeague, I'd like to hope that we, as a society, are forgiving people. So that although a person may have committed a horrendous crime, we'd be civil enough to hope and allow for their rehabilitation if they can prove that they can be. Here's an excerpt from a piece about 1st Degree Murder in Canada.

"Despite a sentence of "life imprisonment" being imposed, the vast majority of first degree murderers will eventually be released back into society. Their freedom, however, will be limited by the conditions of parole for the remainder of their lives. Further, a breach of parole could easily result in them having to return to prison to serve additional time."

Even though you have a chance of being paroled, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll receive it.

Forgiveness is primarily on a personal level. I'm speaking on a societal level. And when it comes to first degree murder, arguably the worst crime possible, it's bad enough when those found guilty of it are not executed. But to not even serve the rest of their lives in prison? To actually get out of prison, be it sooner or later? That isn't being civil. That's just a spit in the face to justice. And liberals wonder why they have the reputation of being soft on crime.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 06/24/12 05:07 AM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: CarloRizzo] #652942
06/24/12 08:11 AM
06/24/12 08:11 AM
Newcastle Upon Tyne
short841 Offline
Underboss
short841  Offline
Underboss
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I was shocked that life imprisonment in our country was 30 years! I think it was written ages ago when being 50 was the life expectancy so they have not re-writ it. But I think people who murder should never get parole or bail etc

Last edited by short841; 06/24/12 08:12 AM.

"You shouldn’t be embarrassed by your wealth. This contempt for money is another trick by the rich to keep the poor without it" - Michael Corleone

"You don't have to count the dead to understand the business of the Camorra" Gomorrah, Roberto Saviano
Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: CarloRizzo] #652943
06/24/12 08:15 AM
06/24/12 08:15 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
NickyScarfo Offline
Underboss
NickyScarfo  Offline
Underboss
Queenstown, New Zealand
In England guys have it good, often sky tv, X-box etc, disgraceful and murders get out after like 6 years sometimes!

Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: NickyScarfo] #652952
06/24/12 09:46 AM
06/24/12 09:46 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
England not great on the whole crime and punishment thing!! We to scared to upset anybodys human rights by putting them in jail or anything..........

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: IvyLeague] #652953
06/24/12 09:47 AM
06/24/12 09:47 AM
Antimacy Offline
Wiseguy
Antimacy  Offline
Wiseguy
@IvyLeague, I hope you're not suggesting Capital Punishment for murderers. Put any emotional reasoning aside and you'll soon realize there's more cons than pros for Capital Punishment. First and foremost (assuming that we as a society care for money more than human life), it costs more to murder someone in form of Capital Punishment than it does to keep them in jail for whole duration of the punishment. Secondly, if Capital Punishment was around (currently it's not in Canada) I'd expect the Prime Minister, his cabinet, and the Judge who sentenced the person to death to apologize nationally to the person's family if it came out that the person was indeed not guilty of the crime but had been murdered before it was found out.

That's what happens with Capital Punishment - innocent people die. I don't think anyone could live with themselves knowing they killed an innocent person.

As for parole to murderers, people mess up. We're only humans. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to rationalize murder here but I'd like to think that people can change over the course of nearly thirty years. Do people not deserve a second chance at life? I'd like to think so.

I'll take the Liberal jest with a grain of salt, I'll assume you were not speaking to me but anyone in general.

Last edited by Antimacy; 06/24/12 09:47 AM.
Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: Antimacy] #653020
06/24/12 08:12 PM
06/24/12 08:12 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

@IvyLeague, I hope you're not suggesting Capital Punishment for murderers. Put any emotional reasoning aside and you'll soon realize there's more cons than pros for Capital Punishment. First and foremost (assuming that we as a society care for money more than human life), it costs more to murder someone in form of Capital Punishment than it does to keep them in jail for whole duration of the punishment. Secondly, if Capital Punishment was around (currently it's not in Canada) I'd expect the Prime Minister, his cabinet, and the Judge who sentenced the person to death to apologize nationally to the person's family if it came out that the person was indeed not guilty of the crime but had been murdered before it was found out.

That's what happens with Capital Punishment - innocent people die. I don't think anyone could live with themselves knowing they killed an innocent person.

As for parole to murderers, people mess up. We're only humans. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to rationalize murder here but I'd like to think that people can change over the course of nearly thirty years. Do people not deserve a second chance at life? I'd like to think so.

I'll take the Liberal jest with a grain of salt, I'll assume you were not speaking to me but anyone in general.

Yes, I am suggesting capital punishment for murderers. At least those found guilty of 1st degree murder.

Your arguments about the cost of it all just says to me that the system needs to be reformed. No 20 years of endless appeals.

See, I'd be more willing to listen to the liberals on this issue if they were willing to at least allow the death penalty for cases where the guilt is certain; as well as the assurance that those who aren't executed stay in prison for the rest of their life.

But we don't even have that, do we? We have them, including you here, arguing that first degree murderers should eventually be released!

This is why Canada and Western Europe, as well as the libs here in the U.S., have the "bleeding heart" reputation they do. They blab on and on about the value of human life. Yet what value do they put on the victim's life when they allow the killer to not only live, but even be released sooner or later.

This is what is so infuriating about the liberal mind on this issue and others. They think they've got it all figured out. They think they're so enlightened. Meanwhile, the obvious escapes them. They've intellectualized themselves into stupidity.

Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: CarloRizzo] #653030
06/24/12 09:21 PM
06/24/12 09:21 PM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
I'm as strongly against "life sentences" that last 10 years as I am to death penalty. No one should kill no one, man or Governament. If someone does, he\she gets sent to jail for the rest of his\her life. Is that simple.

As for the cost of jails. Make them work. Do stuff.

Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: IvyLeague] #653036
06/24/12 10:28 PM
06/24/12 10:28 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague

Yes, I am suggesting capital punishment for murderers. At least those found guilty of 1st degree murder.

I have a question: if, for example, somebody who had his family killed by mafiosi or street gangsters doesn’t obtain justice through legal ways and kills the ones responsible for the massacre, or for example a father kills the one who raped and killed his daughter (also only after not having obtained justice through legal means), is it considered first degree murder or second degree murder? If it is first degree, then I don’t agree with you that ALL first degree murderers should be executed.
I know, such cases are few, it’s just I remembered some discussions I had on other forums about Japanese detective stories in which the victims very often are the real villains, while the murderers act out of despair or craziness.
But of course, this is of no relevance to most of the mafia crimes, since there it’s almost always about power or money, not despair. In these cases, I am all for life imprisonment.

Last edited by Dwalin2011; 06/24/12 10:28 PM.

Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: IvyLeague] #653038
06/24/12 10:54 PM
06/24/12 10:54 PM
Antimacy Offline
Wiseguy
Antimacy  Offline
Wiseguy
@Ivy, I'm not a liberal. I'm a human being. No political party represents who I am. My viewpoints are all over the political spectrum, if you will. I dislike when people have to turn to "Oh you Libs" or "Oh, you Cons".

There's no upside to murdering someone for murdering someone else, the only "upside" would be revenge. We live in such a revenge based society it's sickening. Oh, he hurt my Bobby so he should suffer like my little Bobby did. I thought we were civilized, there's a reason we outlived other species because we're constantly evolving. I'd like to think we're progressing and not regressing.

It's proven that in the US there is more crime in the States that allow Capital Punishment than States that don't allow it.

It all comes down to that Canada doesn't have the Death Penalty and I'm grateful for that. However, I can't see it staying much longer with the likes of Harper (criminal) in power as "our" Prime Minister.

I'm glad we could have this discussion Ivy, it's nice to see the other side of equation.

Last edited by Antimacy; 06/24/12 10:54 PM.
Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: Dwalin2011] #653052
06/25/12 12:59 AM
06/25/12 12:59 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Dwalin2011

I have a question: if, for example, somebody who had his family killed by mafiosi or street gangsters doesn’t obtain justice through legal ways and kills the ones responsible for the massacre, or for example a father kills the one who raped and killed his daughter (also only after not having obtained justice through legal means), is it considered first degree murder or second degree murder? If it is first degree, then I don’t agree with you that ALL first degree murderers should be executed.

I know, such cases are few, it’s just I remembered some discussions I had on other forums about Japanese detective stories in which the victims very often are the real villains, while the murderers act out of despair or craziness.
But of course, this is of no relevance to most of the mafia crimes, since there it’s almost always about power or money, not despair. In these cases, I am all for life imprisonment.

I actually agree with you on that. It's a mitigating circumstance.

@Ivy, I'm not a liberal. I'm a human being. No political party represents who I am. My viewpoints are all over the political spectrum, if you will. I dislike when people have to turn to "Oh you Libs" or "Oh, you Cons".

There's no upside to murdering someone for murdering someone else, the only "upside" would be revenge. We live in such a revenge based society it's sickening. Oh, he hurt my Bobby so he should suffer like my little Bobby did. I thought we were civilized, there's a reason we outlived other species because we're constantly evolving. I'd like to think we're progressing and not regressing.

It's proven that in the US there is more crime in the States that allow Capital Punishment than States that don't allow it.

It all comes down to that Canada doesn't have the Death Penalty and I'm grateful for that. However, I can't see it staying much longer with the likes of Harper (criminal) in power as "our" Prime Minister.

I'm glad we could have this discussion Ivy, it's nice to see the other side of equation.

There is an upside to executing murderers. It's called justice. That's the biggest reason for capital punishment. Not being a deterrence. Having a murderer do 25 years or so and then get released is a spit in the face to justice. And it's no sign of "humanity."

Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: IvyLeague] #653056
06/25/12 02:06 AM
06/25/12 02:06 AM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
There is an upside to executing murderers. It's called justice. That's the biggest reason for capital punishment. Not being a deterrence. Having a murderer do 25 years or so and then get released is a spit in the face to justice. And it's no sign of "humanity."

Simple: they don't get out after 25 years. That's it. Let them rot in jail until they're collected away by the reaper. Getting raped, abused and eventually turning mad. Many consider this punishment worst than instant, soft, painless death.

Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: LuanKuci] #653057
06/25/12 02:13 AM
06/25/12 02:13 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: LuanKuci

Simple: they don't get out after 25 years. That's it. Let them rot in jail until they're collected away by the reaper. Getting raped, abused and eventually turning mad. Many consider this punishment worst than instant, soft, painless death.

Theoretically, I'd be willing to consider that. But, as we've seen both in this thread, and in real life, they often do get out after 25 years or however long.

And as much as opponents of the death penalty like to talk about how life in prison is a worse punishment, it's easy to say when you're not facing the needle. It's why most facing execution try to plead down to life in prison, as well as file endless appeals to escape death.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 06/25/12 02:14 AM.

Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: CarloRizzo] #653058
06/25/12 02:29 AM
06/25/12 02:29 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
NickyScarfo Offline
Underboss
NickyScarfo  Offline
Underboss
Queenstown, New Zealand
I wish we had Capital Punishment in my home country of England, for those crimes so despicable, like rape and murdering a child etc, prisons are not so tough in the UK so the death penalty is the only way to punish them adequately in my opinion.

Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: IvyLeague] #653161
06/25/12 10:52 PM
06/25/12 10:52 PM
Antimacy Offline
Wiseguy
Antimacy  Offline
Wiseguy
@IvyLeague, That's not the case at all. If you take a look at any studies, it'd tell you that Capital Punishment is not a deterrent against crimes, in fact it's more motivation to do crimes (it sounds far fetched, I know, but it in almost all cases is the truth). People are willing to die for a crime they commit rather than spend either life or nearly all their life in a 6x6 cold, damp, scary jail cell with the possibility of being hurt both physically (through rape - Surprisingly a recent study has come out and said that more men are being raped because of them being in prison than women over all) or emotionally. I know I'd rather face death than being in a jail cell for twenty years or what have you, the emotional toll is overwhelming. People go insane when they're placed in solitary confinement (another thing I'm against) as it's cruel and unusual punishment.

Justice is retribution. Revenge. You did something bad so we're going to equally do something bad to you but we're allowed to because we're the law. How messed up does that sound? Very.

Prison doesn't work for the most part, anyway. There's only two ways people leave jail: completely rehabilitated from their previous crimes and/or worse when they entered. Most of the time it's the latter.

Also, I'm sure you'll be upset to hear that your Supreme Court (?) has just announced that states may not impose on juvenile murderers mandatory life sentences without the possibility of parole. I don't want to put words/ideas into your mouth but from what you've previously mentioned I assume you are against this ruling, Ivy?

Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: Antimacy] #653163
06/25/12 11:09 PM
06/25/12 11:09 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

@IvyLeague, That's not the case at all. If you take a look at any studies, it'd tell you that Capital Punishment is not a deterrent against crimes, in fact it's more motivation to do crimes (it sounds far fetched, I know, but it in almost all cases is the truth). People are willing to die for a crime they commit rather than spend either life or nearly all their life in a 6x6 cold, damp, scary jail cell with the possibility of being hurt both physically (through rape - Surprisingly a recent study has come out and said that more men are being raped because of them being in prison than women over all) or emotionally. I know I'd rather face death than being in a jail cell for twenty years or what have you, the emotional toll is overwhelming. People go insane when they're placed in solitary confinement (another thing I'm against) as it's cruel and unusual punishment.

Justice is retribution. Revenge. You did something bad so we're going to equally do something bad to you but we're allowed to because we're the law. How messed up does that sound? Vary.

Prison doesn't work for the most part, anyway. There's only two ways people leave jail: completely rehabilitated from their previous crimes and/or worse when they entered. Most of the time it's the latter.

Also, I'm sure you'll be upset to hear that your Supreme Court (?) has just announced that states may not impose on juvenile murderers mandatory life sentences without the possibility of parole. I don't want to put words/ideas into your mouth but from what you've previously mentioned I assume you are against this ruling, Ivy?

See, you may not consider yourself a "liberal," but I don't know what else to call you. Because you're echoing the text book "liberal" mindset on how to deal with crime. And that's not really to deal with it at all.

Using your line of thinking, society should just do away with all courts, jails, prisons, or any other penalty for crime because the're counter-productive.

And for the record, I agree prison often doesn't work. And that's because all the crooks do is go in and sit around, watch TV, play cards, lift weights, etc. If prison was the way it should be - hard labor, etc. - it would be a different story. Criminals don't fear prison like they should. And why is that? Because of the "liberal" mindset that is all about "prisoner's rights," etc.

As for juvenile murderers, I'd be more accepting of the recent ruling if the time they do is long enough (no getting out 10 years later or whatever) and harsh enough. But, again, the "liberal" mindset wants neither.

Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: CarloRizzo] #653164
06/25/12 11:14 PM
06/25/12 11:14 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

And let me add something on this notion of "justice." I agree that revenge isn't the way to go. But that doesn't mean there shouldn't be justice. Justice, the way I see it, is recompense. And that's another problem with the current system.

A criminal can hurt somebody, in whatever way, and all that happens is they get warehoused in some prison for a certain length of time. And maybe pay a fine which goes to the state. But for the victim to gain any recompense, they have to go through civil court, which is often a joke.

For justice to happen, there needs to be punishment. A fact many liberals don't get is, mercy cannot rob justice. But it has to be productive justice. Punishment that also recompenses the victim.

Re: Prison sentencing for OC in other countries? [Re: CarloRizzo] #653907
06/30/12 05:29 PM
06/30/12 05:29 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Also in Italy, they want to come into your home and throw everything upside down, and search, they can and they do. They don't need to show you papers at the door.
They don't have to go thru endless amounts of paperwork to tap a phone. They'll throw a whole fucking tap down an entire street if they want. They will come in and arrest your mother, wife, sister, brother if they want to get to a family member. They convict and sentence you in absentia if they say you're guilty.
They arrest you and hold you until YOU can prove there isn't enough evidence against you to hold you and try you.

La madre degli idioti e' sempre incinta.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull