GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (bronx, Toodoped, 1 invisible), 212 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,938
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,339
Posts1,058,927
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Social Clubs from the past still running #650153
06/05/12 09:11 PM
06/05/12 09:11 PM
Long Island, NY
B
Brickhouse Offline OP
Wiseguy
Brickhouse  Offline OP
B
Wiseguy
Long Island, NY
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/contract-old-queens-gang-lair-article-1.1037328

Read this article recently about a social club that I used to pass by almost every day at work. Got me thinking... Are there any mob run social clubs still around and functioning as a get together spot and/or HQ that have a long running past going back years and years, possibly even to LCN's heyday?? Just would be wild to think that "x" crew has been based out of "x" social club since the 1950's... So I ask, does anyone know of the oldest functioning Mafia social club? Doesn't have to necessarily be in NYC. I think Punchy Illiano and Kid Blast's social club on Court St in Brooklyn is old. Also there is the Frosinone Soccer Club on Long Island near where I grew up, which ha been around for quite a while. On a side note... Does anyone else find it strange how some of these clubs seem to have completely non involved members? (by non involved I mean they aren't afraid to speak to a reporter for a newspaper article where they mention themselves by first and last names.) I believe there was a short documentary on the Court St social club where guys let themselves be interviewed by some amateur documentary producer claiming they weren't LCN connected...

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man and those of us who have hunted armed men and like it, care for nothing else thereafter." -Ernest Hemingway
Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: Brickhouse] #650179
06/06/12 04:15 AM
06/06/12 04:15 AM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
The five boros are full of Italian social clubs. If you go for a stroll on 18th ave. in Bensonhurst you'll find plenty. Figli di Ragusa, Santa Rosalia, Lentini Club, Aidone Club, etc...

Red Hook, Carroll Gardnes, Cobble Hill and Billyburg too. My favorite is the Citizens of Pozzallo club on Henry street. Not far from that there's the Molese Club and further down there is a tiny bar\possible club filled (as July 2010) with youngish Italians (mostly connected to the larger Molese Club I suppose).
The only time when this places are visitable by non-members is during the centennial feast of la Madonna SS Addolorata (Our Lady of Sorrows) since that is the patron saint of Mola di Bari. The statue gets carried around and it stops in front of each club or italian-owned business.

I dunno about Manhattan, Queens or the Bronx, but I don't have to guess.

Yonkers has three big ones, one is the one I call the Salerno Club, since that most members I met where from the Salerno province and I can't recall its actual name. No clue about the other two.

And don't even get me started with Staten Island...or North Jersey.

North Hempsted, Long Island has a nice club\ballroom dedicated to la Madonna Assunta. Bathpage has a couple.

Now, knowing which one of these is mobbed up (fully or partially) then it's hard to say.
But to answer your question, yes, there are a lot.

Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: LuanKuci] #650207
06/06/12 11:54 AM
06/06/12 11:54 AM
L
Long_Island Offline
Wiseguy
Long_Island  Offline
L
Wiseguy
Where in Bethpage?

There's a Turkish social club in West Babylon that get busted all the time for gambling. They blacked out windows and installed cameras outside.

There's another one called Cafe Messina that is always packed at night but you don't see anyone inside. They're all in back room. Closed during day.

New Italian social club on Sunrise Hwy. same town. A few fancy Escalades parked in back. Can't see anything there. It's fairly new.

Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: LuanKuci] #650215
06/06/12 12:36 PM
06/06/12 12:36 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: LuanKuci
Yonkers has three big ones, one is the one I call the Salerno Club, since that most members I met where from the Salerno province and I can't recall its actual name. No clue about the other two.

You're probably thinking of the Stiglianese Club and the Rauso Post. Both are over in the Park Hill section of Yonkers, which used to be almost all Italian. Today, the area is largely Hispanic, but the clubs still remain open on weekends and for special events if you want to rent them out. The Italians who moved up to Northern Westchester still come down for certain events and whatnot. The Rauso post is basically like a VFW Post. It was founded by local Italian American Veterans (and there were a lot of them) after World War II ended.

And it's worth mentioning---because someone brought up the mob angle---that none of those places are mobbed up. There are hundreds of Italian American meeting places that have nothing to do with the mob (not to mention thousands of chapters of the Sons of Italy). We're a proud people and want to keep our traditions alive. But unfortunately, whenever someone mentions an Italian "club," people want to assume Mafia involvement.

It's really a shame, because of all the European immigrant groups that came here in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Italians have been among the most upwardly mobile. That's something to be proud of, not something to lament.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: Brickhouse] #650233
06/06/12 01:48 PM
06/06/12 01:48 PM
Long Island, NY
B
Brickhouse Offline OP
Wiseguy
Brickhouse  Offline OP
B
Wiseguy
Long Island, NY
Well aware of all the strictly ethnocentric Italian social clubs and civic organizations and certainly it goes without saying that Italians are without a doubt the most upwardly mobile of all immigrant groups in this country. That being said I still find it interesting how in these news articles these mobbed up clubs seemingly have non connected members. Is it just that these guys, once minor fringe players, are so irrelevant and marginal that they don't care about the consequences of giving an interview to a reporter? Also the topic in general inquires about long time clubs where mob activity has gone on for decades and decades... Just seems interesting to me if some crew has held court in the same club for the past 70 years or so? Thanks for all the input.

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man and those of us who have hunted armed men and like it, care for nothing else thereafter." -Ernest Hemingway
Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: Brickhouse] #650235
06/06/12 01:51 PM
06/06/12 01:51 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Brickhouse
Well aware of all the strictly ethnocentric Italian social clubs and civic organizations and certainly it goes without saying that Italians are without a doubt the most upwardly mobile of all immigrant groups in this country.

confused

Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: Brickhouse] #650238
06/06/12 01:57 PM
06/06/12 01:57 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Just seems interesting to me if some crew has held court in the same club for the past 70 years or so? Thanks for all the input.

Well, if we're talking strictly of the clubs that are mobbed up, I can't think of any that were in the Bronx when I was growing up that are still open (I was born in 1959, by the way). Of course there are still a few places to play cards or get a bet down, but they seem to move around every few years. Kind of like bookmaking offices.

Angelo Prisco's club in Westchester Square (The Angelique) had a pretty long run, but that place has been shuttered for years. So have Patty DeFilippo's numbers places around Zerega Avenue. The last one in the Arthur Avenue area was Rudy Santobello's (Club Arthur). But again, that place closed years ago.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: Long_Island] #650264
06/06/12 05:29 PM
06/06/12 05:29 PM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Long_Island
Where in Bethpage?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethpage,_New_York

Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: pizzaboy] #774272
04/25/14 01:03 PM
04/25/14 01:03 PM
Gotti Offline
Button
Gotti  Offline
Button
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Just seems interesting to me if some crew has held court in the same club for the past 70 years or so? Thanks for all the input.

Well, if we're talking strictly of the clubs that are mobbed up, I can't think of any that were in the Bronx when I was growing up that are still open (I was born in 1959, by the way). Of course there are still a few places to play cards or get a bet down, but they seem to move around every few years. Kind of like bookmaking offices.

Angelo Prisco's club in Westchester Square (The Angelique) had a pretty long run, but that place has been shuttered for years. So have Patty DeFilippo's numbers places around Zerega Avenue. The last one in the Arthur Avenue area was Rudy Santobello's (Club Arthur). But again, that place closed years ago.

PB, could you name some social clubs that were around during the days you were growing up? And, if possible, state which mob guys frequented the clubs.

Thanks.

Makes you think. Makes you think about the people in your life. And when I think, I think of Neil. If he were here now what would he say? He would say "John what's it about? What's life about... if you dont go through it as a man's man?". He'd say "Suck it up, take the fall do the time. That made you what you are. That makes you what you are. How long have we been around this thing of ours? This Cosa Nostra? 120 years. What's it about? It's about the rules, perimeters. You take the beating for a friend, you don't run, you don't lay down, you don't betray who you are. What you are.
Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: Brickhouse] #774273
04/25/14 01:08 PM
04/25/14 01:08 PM
T
tt120 Offline
Capo
tt120  Offline
T
Capo
bella tile in the east village "looks" like there is still an active club there. the tile store is on 1st avenue, and the club is kind of behind it on the cross street. believe its e11th? i know it was a gambino area a long long time ago. hard to believe guys are still meeting there (because i highly doubt any of them still live on that block) but it looks like they are. anyone know?

as far as manhattan is concerned, unless the building owner is involved (like the guy who owned the building the ravenite was in) and gives the guys a deal, renting a street level store front space to use as a spot to hang out in opposed to having something there to generate income, would be retarded

Last edited by tt120; 04/25/14 01:10 PM.
Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: tt120] #774275
04/25/14 01:23 PM
04/25/14 01:23 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: tt120
bella tile in the east village "looks" like there is still an active club there. the tile store is on 1st avenue, and the club is kind of behind it on the cross street. believe its e11th? i know it was a gambino area a long long time ago. hard to believe guys are still meeting there (because i highly doubt any of them still live on that block) but it looks like they are. anyone know?

That club has been closed for years, tt120. And it wasn't Gambino run. It was run by a Westside crew chief that used operate out of Veniero's, just around the corner wink .

Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: Brickhouse] #774277
04/25/14 01:36 PM
04/25/14 01:36 PM
T
tt120 Offline
Capo
tt120  Offline
T
Capo
wow i was dead ass wrong on that one lol

i remember that westside gambling bust involving some guys from the bronx a few years ago, along with someone from FDNY, said they were operating out of venieros as well, which is funny to me because its kind of like a tourist spot now. itd be like if a jewish gangster was holding court at Katz's

Last edited by tt120; 04/25/14 01:57 PM.
Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: tt120] #774279
04/25/14 01:46 PM
04/25/14 01:46 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Check your pm, tt120.

Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: pizzaboy] #774314
04/25/14 11:22 PM
04/25/14 11:22 PM
F
Flushing Offline
Capo
Flushing  Offline
F
Capo
Good thread. Good info. I know of a club next to Spaghetti Park in Corona (near the Parkside Restaurant on 51st avenue). No name, just a sign that says "members only" and a tree painted red, white and green.

There is an Italian Club in College Point consisting of immigrants from Northeast Italy (Friulans).

Also interesting info about Paddy DeFillipo running Zerega Avenue. I never knew Soundview was Italian.

Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: Flushing] #774322
04/26/14 05:16 AM
04/26/14 05:16 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Flushing
I never knew Soundview was Italian.

Patty's clubs were just off Westchester Avenue, Flushing. One on Zerega, another by Castle Hill and Blackrock. And you're not technically wrong about Soundview. It probably hasn't been Italian in your lifetime.

Hell, I'm almost 55 and it hasn't been Italian since I was a kid. But it's funny, even when those neighborhoods changed some of the clubs stayed put because those old timers were such creatures of habit. Westchester Avenue, east of Parkchester, remained a Lucchese and Genovese stronghold for years after the neighborhood turned Puerto Rican.

And you were a postal worker, right? There used to be a club right next door to the post office on Crosby, just off Middletown. But that shouldn't surprise you because that part of Pelham Bay stayed Italian right up until at least the late '90s. Today it's mixed Latino with a few Italian leftovers.

Now that'll be ten bucks for the Bronx geography and history lessons whistle.

Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: Brickhouse] #774364
04/26/14 09:53 AM
04/26/14 09:53 AM
Garbageman Offline
Made Member
Garbageman  Offline
Made Member
Here in Newark,Ironbound, this place is still standing.

Attached Files 2009_madonna_fontana_Newark_6.jpg
Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: pizzaboy] #774526
04/27/14 07:00 PM
04/27/14 07:00 PM
F
Flushing Offline
Capo
Flushing  Offline
F
Capo
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: Flushing
I never knew Soundview was Italian.

Patty's clubs were just off Westchester Avenue, Flushing. One on Zerega, another by Castle Hill and Blackrock. And you're not technically wrong about Soundview. It probably hasn't been Italian in your lifetime.

Hell, I'm almost 55 and it hasn't been Italian since I was a kid. But it's funny, even when those neighborhoods changed some of the clubs stayed put because those old timers were such creatures of habit. Westchester Avenue, east of Parkchester, remained a Lucchese and Genovese stronghold for years after the neighborhood turned Puerto Rican.

And you were a postal worker, right? There used to be a club right next door to the post office on Crosby, just off Middletown. But that shouldn't surprise you because that part of Pelham Bay stayed Italian right up until at least the late '90s. Today it's mixed Latino with a few Italian leftovers.

Now that'll be ten bucks for the Bronx geography and history lessons whistle.

Great info. Thanks. When I did Express Mail I was all over those neighborhoods. Pelham, Baychester and even Soundview. In Wakefield around 2000, where a had a route, almost every block had a few Italians - just a few. No kids though, just older folks.

Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: Brickhouse] #774528
04/27/14 07:07 PM
04/27/14 07:07 PM
J
jonnynonos Offline
Underboss
jonnynonos  Offline
J
Underboss
In Chicago there are still some social clubs. Probably a stretch to say any go back to the mob's heyday, though.

Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: jonnynonos] #774532
04/27/14 07:41 PM
04/27/14 07:41 PM
Bamboo Lounge
NickyEyes1 Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
NickyEyes1  Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
Underboss
Bamboo Lounge
Originally Posted By: jonnynonos
Probably a stretch to say any go back to the mob's heyday, though.

Not true

Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: NickyEyes1] #774534
04/27/14 07:43 PM
04/27/14 07:43 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: NickyEyes1

Not true

And if anyone would know it'd be Nicky Boy. Back when he was a kid, oh wait, that was last Tuesday whistle.

Just playing with you, Son. Just playing smile.

Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: Brickhouse] #774535
04/27/14 07:45 PM
04/27/14 07:45 PM
NE1020 Offline
Made Member
NE1020  Offline
Made Member
Genovese family member Patsy Parello has a restaurant down Arthur Avenue, I think there was a raid there a while back.

Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: NE1020] #774536
04/27/14 07:52 PM
04/27/14 07:52 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: NE1020
Genovese family member Patsy Parello has a restaurant down Arthur Avenue, I think there was a raid there a while back.

Rigoletto. It's still there and it's Patsy and his wife's pride and joy. No mob business there. Ever.

The "raid" you're referring to was the actual pinch that came down back in 2001. And they only went in there because that's Patsy's legitimate place of business and he's there all the time.

And it's a beautiful place. Great food. Not remotely a "social club" atmosphere. And for the record, the only social clubs left down there are Albanian and one or two soccer clubs.

Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: pizzaboy] #774553
04/27/14 09:30 PM
04/27/14 09:30 PM
NE1020 Offline
Made Member
NE1020  Offline
Made Member
Yeah I got mistaken pizzaboy, I read some article on some BS website that said there was a police bust there back in 2013.

Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: NE1020] #774554
04/27/14 09:31 PM
04/27/14 09:31 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: NE1020
Yeah I got mistaken pizzaboy, I read some article on some BS website that said there was a police bust there back in 2013.

No problem, buddy. Glad I could help smile.

Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: NickyEyes1] #774556
04/27/14 10:33 PM
04/27/14 10:33 PM
J
jonnynonos Offline
Underboss
jonnynonos  Offline
J
Underboss

Not true

The mob'a heyday in chicago was arguably the 20s-60s. Name one that old.

Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: jonnynonos] #774571
04/28/14 04:43 AM
04/28/14 04:43 AM
Bamboo Lounge
NickyEyes1 Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
NickyEyes1  Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
Underboss
Bamboo Lounge

Not true

Bridgeport. I would include the 70s for Chicago's heyday. Don't think it was there in the 60s but most likely 70s/80s.

Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: NickyEyes1] #774589
04/28/14 07:50 AM
04/28/14 07:50 AM
J
jonnynonos Offline
Underboss
jonnynonos  Offline
J
Underboss

Not true

Bridgeport. I would include the 70s for Chicago's heyday. Don't think it was there in the 60s but most likely 70s/80s.

Oh, yeah, that wouldn't surprise me.

Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: Brickhouse] #774606
04/28/14 09:39 AM
04/28/14 09:39 AM
F
funkster Offline
Underboss
funkster  Offline
F
Underboss
I believe HSAC has been around since the early 70s, but could be wrong.

Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: funkster] #774636
04/28/14 02:56 PM
04/28/14 02:56 PM
Bamboo Lounge
NickyEyes1 Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
NickyEyes1  Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
Underboss
Bamboo Lounge
Originally Posted By: funkster
I believe HSAC has been around since the early 70s, but could be wrong.

Yeah, HSAC has been around a while too. Not sure of the exact year but had to be in the 70s.

There's still a couple left in Chicago that have been around a long time.

Last edited by NickyEyes1; 04/28/14 02:58 PM.
Re: Social Clubs from the past still running [Re: Brickhouse] #774638
04/28/14 03:08 PM
04/28/14 03:08 PM
C
cookcounty Offline
Underboss
cookcounty  Offline
C
Underboss
^^^^^

are there any italian-american social clubs located in the south suburbs?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull