GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Ciment, joepuzzles234, British, m2w), 61 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,105
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,685
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Mob Scene : Split Loyalties [Re: merlino] #649217
05/30/12 06:31 PM
05/30/12 06:31 PM
Delaware County PA
P
PhillySteve Offline
Wiseguy
PhillySteve  Offline
P
Wiseguy
Delaware County PA
Would love to see a new interview of Scarfo. Don't really hear anything about him anymore. I wonder how his health is. He has to be in his mid 80's by now

Proud to have been born and raised in South Philly 1976-1995
Re: Mob Scene : Split Loyalties [Re: Scorsese] #649531
06/01/12 11:23 PM
06/01/12 11:23 PM
Delaware County PA
P
PhillySteve Offline
Wiseguy
PhillySteve  Offline
P
Wiseguy
Delaware County PA
Originally Posted By: Scorsese
Originally Posted By: TonyG
I am amazed any of these guys could still feel any loyalty to Scarfo! The guy is a certifiable psychopath.

And I agree with Dapper: Joey = headlines = newspaper sales and high TV ratings.

Stay tuned.

Scarfo was a nut job but he was someone who was like a symbol of what a gangster is and what their family once was, he did expand their operations greatly and had a lot of fear on the street. To go from someone like him to ligambi may not be a very appealing thing for some of the guys from that time.Put it this way no one ever gonna make a documentary about ligambi.

Yea but Scarfo pretty much brought the Philly Mob down all by himself. The Philly Mob was running like a well oiled machine in the 50's, 60 and 70's. They were making loads of money, not attracting to much attention from the feds and were still feared on the streets. The way Scarfo ran things with all the killings it brought WAY to much attention and did them in. He was the worst thing to ever happen to the Philly Mob

Last edited by PhillySteve; 06/01/12 11:27 PM.

Re: Mob Scene : Split Loyalties [Re: PhillySteve] #649534
06/02/12 12:08 AM
06/02/12 12:08 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: PhillySteve

Yea but Scarfo pretty much brought the Philly Mob down all by himself. The Philly Mob was running like a well oiled machine in the 50's, 60 and 70's. They were making loads of money, not attracting to much attention from the feds and were still feared on the streets. The way Scarfo ran things with all the killings it brought WAY to much attention and did them in. He was the worst thing to ever happen to the Philly Mob

It's also important to remember that law enforcement efforts against the mob were rather lackluster during the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Had Bruno not been killed in 1980, he probably would have been indicted when the heat came on in the 1980's. And things would not have run so smoothly in the family as a whole.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Mob Scene : Split Loyalties [Re: IvyLeague] #649587
06/02/12 01:34 PM
06/02/12 01:34 PM
Delaware County PA
P
PhillySteve Offline
Wiseguy
PhillySteve  Offline
P
Wiseguy
Delaware County PA
I still think it would of ran much better then with Scarfo at the head. During Bruno's leadership period what was there maybe 7 or 8 murders in the 20 years or so that he ran the ship. Scarfo beat that in less then one year running the ship and they were WAY to greddy. I'm suprised he lasted as long as he did. He did nothing but draw all kinds of unwanted attention. Uncle Joe ran it like Bruno did. They still make loads of money and stayed out of the rader until recently that is.

Re: Mob Scene : Split Loyalties [Re: spmob] #649594
06/02/12 02:10 PM
06/02/12 02:10 PM
southphilly old head Offline
Capo
southphilly old head  Offline
Capo
your right and the feds are sweating this one out looking for somebody to flip that is a major player cause with the lawyers the defendants have in this case i wont be surprised if they get convicted on only a few counts or maybe even walk

Re: Mob Scene : Split Loyalties [Re: spmob] #649596
06/02/12 02:15 PM
06/02/12 02:15 PM
southphilly old head Offline
Capo
southphilly old head  Offline
Capo
if you get a chance to read an article mob Steve Volk the generalist wrote in philly mag last year they might just get away with it. no violence is a major issue for the feds

Re: Mob Scene : Split Loyalties [Re: PhillySteve] #649597
06/02/12 03:02 PM
06/02/12 03:02 PM
S
Scorsese Offline
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline
S
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Scorsese
Originally Posted By: TonyG
I am amazed any of these guys could still feel any loyalty to Scarfo! The guy is a certifiable psychopath.

And I agree with Dapper: Joey = headlines = newspaper sales and high TV ratings.

Stay tuned.

Scarfo was a nut job but he was someone who was like a symbol of what a gangster is and what their family once was, he did expand their operations greatly and had a lot of fear on the street. To go from someone like him to ligambi may not be a very appealing thing for some of the guys from that time.Put it this way no one ever gonna make a documentary about ligambi.

I was talking more about his notoriety and status than just how he ran the family. He was like the pablo escobar of the mob at the time. And also you got to take into count the scope of scarfos criminal activity during the 80s compared to ligambi during the late 90s till 2011. Scarfo had unions, atlantic city, gambling,loansharking, fraud,drug trafficking and the street tax he had put in place. He withstood a whole bunch of feuds and wars with rivals, he had a lot of killers around him that respected him but feared him more. Ligambi may have been keeping things quiet and earning money but he's never gonna reach the same heights or fear scarfo brought to the game.

Re: Mob Scene : Split Loyalties [Re: IvyLeague] #649622
06/02/12 04:56 PM
06/02/12 04:56 PM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
True. When does Chucky Merlino, and chicky get out? It seems chicky will die in there, but isn't chuckys release date coming up fairly soon?

Originally Posted By: IvyLeague

It's also important to remember that law enforcement efforts against the mob were rather lackluster during the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Had Bruno not been killed in 1980, he probably would have been indicted when the heat came on in the 1980's. And things would not have run so smoothly in the family as a whole.

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: Mob Scene : Split Loyalties [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #649626
06/02/12 05:45 PM
06/02/12 05:45 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
Both arguments are correct. Scarfo was good in the sense that he brought in a lot of money from all different areas. At the end of the day, that is what it's all about to most of these guys, and the Philly Mob was as powerhouse. For that, Scarfo doesn't get enough credit. On the other hand, Ligambi ran things as flawlessly as one can in the modern age. It's no doubt he and John DiFronzo were two of the strongest dons of the new millennium, and they run things in a very similar, back to basics, low profile way.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull