GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Ben54), 64 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,105
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,684
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Consigliere #647650
05/17/12 04:48 PM
05/17/12 04:48 PM
johnnyboysala Offline OP
Made Member
johnnyboysala  Offline OP
Made Member
What do you think is the Don's reason for appointing Tom Hagan consigliere?

It seems reasonable enough to have used Genco in the role - a man as experienced and bound up in the family as the Don himself, but to me it seems as if Tom is fairly useless as anything other than a cool-headed representative. Whenever the Don seeks Tom's advice it just feels as if he's testing him. You never get the feeling Tom could tell Vito something he didn't already know or hadn't already considered.

With a role as genuine adviser to the Don ruled out, is Tom made consigliere simply because Sonny cannot be trusted to represent the Don in sensitive matters? But surely it can't be that, because wouldn't it have been obvious to the Don that a man who cannot even be trusted as a representative, is inevitably going to make a hash of being boss? If the Don didn't think Sonny capable, surely sense would suggest Clemenza or Tessio should have been in line before him? If Michael hadn't come good, the Don's sentimental decision to make his oldest son his heir would have destroyed the whole Family.

Or perhaps Tom is simply appointed to be groomed for the post-Vito era? Not knowing he was going to be put out of action by the shooting, perhaps the Don didn't feel an experienced man like himself needed a match-ready, 'wartime consigliere' in the foreseeable future. Perhaps he instead wanted to fill somebody who'll actually listen, with as much information as possible to assist the hot-headed, irrational man he had chosen to make his heir? Again though, surely the Don would have been aware that Sonny wasn't going to spend much time listening to Tom? Again, bumping up the older, more experienced Clemenza or Tessio to consigliere would have been the sensible option. If Sonny was going to be 'counselled' by anyone, surely it could only be them?

I just can't really work out what the Don was thinking in giving Tom the job. Remove Michael from the situation and it almost looks suicidal. The Don would have appointed an unfit boss and a basically ineffective, non-Sicillian consigliere, while managing to overlook two very experienced capos. In my opinion, for what its worth (not much I warrant), Tessio, not Tom, should have been bumped up to consigliere, on the promise of the top job when the Don dies. Sonny should never have progressed above Capo, and Tom should have been left to a civilian career like the Don planned for Michael.

I know Puzo suggests the Don comes to realise that Tom's appointment was a mistake, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any theories as to what the Don was thinking when he made the move.

Last edited by johnnyboysala; 05/17/12 05:06 PM.
Re: Consigliere [Re: johnnyboysala] #647662
05/17/12 05:59 PM
05/17/12 05:59 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
You might want to surf over to the Why Tom? thread in the Godfather Trilogy Forum from earlier this month. It should have alot of responses for you.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull