GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 196 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,415
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,830
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,505
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,301
Posts1,058,249
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
'Baby Shacks' sentenced to 5+ years #647058
05/12/12 04:35 AM
05/12/12 04:35 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline OP
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline OP
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
The Friends of ours site links to an article describing Luigi Manocchio´s latest sentence. Here is the article in full length.

Also, click on the link below to see a special made Manocchio timeline.

Further down below is an article I found, published in The North Tonawanda Evening News (Apr 30, 1970) describing Monacchio´s indictment (in his absence) in a case with Carlo Gambino. This indictment is not mentioned in the special made Manocchio timeline.

"Former mob boss convicted in shakedown scheme"

"By Tim White, Target 12 Investigator"

"PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) – Luigi “Baby Shacks” Manocchio, the longtime former boss of the New England crime family, was sentenced Friday to 5 1/2 years behind bars for his role in shaking down strip clubs for protection money.

Manocchio, who turn 85 in June, has already spent 16 months in federal custody since arrest in Jan. 2011, so he has 50 months left to serve. He will then be under the thumb of supervised release for three years.

In court, his defense attorney Joseph Balliro warned any prison stay for a man of his age could be a “death sentence.”

“His health deteriorates everyday just like every other 85 year-old person,” Balliro told reporters outside court. “Hopefully he will be out some day to see his family.”

Balliro called the sentence by U.S. District Court Judge William Smith “fair.” Assistant U.S. Attorney William Ferland asked the judge to impose 70 months; Balliro requested 63, the judge ultimately split the difference.

Wearing a tan prison jumpsuit, Manocchio made a short comment when asked by Judge Smith if he had anything to say. He recognized the position he “inherited” was unlawful, but didn’t express remorse for the crimes prosecutors allege he committed.

“I don’t want my family or friends to believe I threatened anybody,” Manocchio said reading from a prepared statement.

Earlier in the hearing Ferland pointed out that Manocchio never needed to directly threaten anyone because as mob boss, the specter of harm was always there.

“He fails to recognize that because of his position, these businesses were willing to pay,” Ferland said. “They weren’t making charitable donations to La Cosa Nostra.”

Ferland also said Manocchio continued the extortion scheme even when he learned about the federal investigation.

“One would think this would be a tremendous wake-up call,” Ferland said. “But in reality the scheme never missed a beat. That shows a degree of lack of respect for the law.”

Manocchio pleaded guilty in February to racketeering conspiracy. In a plea agreement with government two other counts of extortion were dropped.

Prosecutors say the shakedown scheme netted the crime family up to $1.5 million since the early ‘90s."

Tim White ( twhite@wpri.com ) is the Target 12 investigative reporter for WPRI 12 and Fox Providence. Follow him on Twitter: @white_tim

Baby Shack´s timeline:
http://www.wpri.com/dpp/target_12/inside_mafia/timeline-luigi-baby-shacks-manocchio

Baby Shack´s 1970 indictment with Carlo Gambino:

"Carlo Gambino, the alleged "boss of bosses" of all Mafia families, was indicted yesterday on charges of conspiring to hijack an armored truck transporting millions of dollars in cash. Arraignment for Gambino, 67, and four other men also indicted for their roles in the alleged plot, was scheduled for May 14 in Manhattan Federal Court.
Besides Gambino those named in the indictment were Frank J. Miceli, 35, East Paterson, N.J.; Louis Manocchio, 42, Providence, R.I.; Frank Vendituoli, 55, West Barrington, R.I.; and Maurice Lerner, 33, Brookline, Mass.
Miceli was the only codefendant in court during the indictment proceedings. Manocchio and Vendituoli are fugitives from justice in a New England murder case and Lerner is in jail in Massachusetts awaitng a mandatory life sentence for first degree murder.

Named in the conspiracy but not listed as a defendant is John J. Kelley, 55, Boston, who was supposed to handle the actual hijacking but who turned state's evidence instead. He is being held in protective custody in Boston.
According to Daniel Hollman, head of the Joint Task Force Against Organized Crime, the plotters intended to hold up an armored truck loaded with banknotes making runs between the New York financial district and bank branches in Queens and Long Island.
Hollman said Gambino's role in the plot was to provide automobiles for the hijack and to dispose of the stolen money afteward. Kelley wanted to bring in members of the so called "Irish Mob" for the stickup.
The indictment said the conspirators met several times to plot the hijack which never came off because of Kelley's defection."

[Linked Image]
Re: 'Baby Shacks' sentenced to 5+ years [Re: HairyKnuckles] #647102
05/12/12 06:24 PM
05/12/12 06:24 PM
U
UnderTheClock Offline
Wiseguy
UnderTheClock  Offline
U
Wiseguy
What was the result of that indictment?

Re: 'Baby Shacks' sentenced to 5+ years [Re: UnderTheClock] #647136
05/13/12 05:30 AM
05/13/12 05:30 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline OP
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline OP
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Originally Posted By: UnderTheClock
What was the result of that indictment?

I don´t think that the case was ever brought to trial. Gambino´s lawyers successfully argued that a trial would be too hazardous for Gambino´s health. He had recently been suffering from a severe heart attack.
And besides, it had recently been discovered that the witness in the case, John "Red" Kelley had perjured himsellf during a previous trial. I don´t know the details, but Kelly´s lying under oath resulted in a FBI agent´s downfall.

I strongly doubt that Gambino was involved with these guys. It´s possible that Frank Miceli (who was a Gambino Family associate at the time) threw Gambino´s name around and this was picked up by Kelley.

Attached Files John%20(Red)%20Kelley.jpg

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull