GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 308 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,491
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,925
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,334
Posts1,058,827
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
An Appeal to Moderation #644245
04/17/12 01:58 PM
04/17/12 01:58 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
It seems that during the last year the number of articles fully (or near so) quoted in posts has grown exponentially.

When posting about an article, why post the whole thing? When you do, it requires several PgDns to read it all and it excludes much briefer posts above it from appearing on the screen. Why not just summarize pertinent parts of the article and then provide a link for those who want to read the whole dang thing? Afterall, it's your opinion that we Board members really want to read. A link to the article will suffice for those who want to read it.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: An Appeal to Moderation [Re: olivant] #644247
04/17/12 02:04 PM
04/17/12 02:04 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Excellent point, oli!

Re: An Appeal to Moderation [Re: SC] #644254
04/17/12 03:02 PM
04/17/12 03:02 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but allow me to offer another opinion:

I have a very old computer, and many links simply do not open properly for me, or cause my computer to freeze up. I notice this is a particular problem with any article from the Huffington Post, but there are other culprits, as well.

I am a member of another discussion group which, for reasons of administrative policy, decided to stop allowing quoted articles in members' posts and insist on links-only. Needless to say, it's now almost impossible for me to view those articles.

I see no problem with quoting articles of reasonable length verbatim. Never have. Never knew there was a problem until now. Of course, it remains to be decided just what constitutes "reasonable" length.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: An Appeal to Moderation [Re: Signor Vitelli] #644271
04/17/12 03:52 PM
04/17/12 03:52 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
I think you're missing one of oli's points, SV. I'd rather read a member's succinct view of the linked material than just read what somebody cut and paste from a different source. We waste too much space here on crap. (I'm not saying that we have a problem of space).

Re: An Appeal to Moderation [Re: olivant] #644297
04/17/12 08:14 PM
04/17/12 08:14 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

That is why articles should be quoted, not just copy/pasted into a post. By using the QUOTE tags around the article, it will be placed in a quote box like any other quote, and the displayed size will be limited (you have to scroll to see the rest, from right inside the post itself). See below

I really should've stressed the use of the QUOTE tags from the beginning, because not only does it save space, but it also distinguishes your words from the piece your quoting.

Example:

Quote:

That is why articles should be quoted, not just copy/pasted into a post. By using the QUOTE tags around the article, it will be placed in a quote box like any other quote, and the displayed size will be limited (you have to scroll to see the rest, from right inside the post itself).

I really should've stressed the use of the QUOTE tags from the beginning, because not only does it save space, but it also distinguishes your words from the piece your quoting.

That is why articles should be quoted, not just copy/pasted into a post. By using the QUOTE tags around the article, it will be placed in a quote box like any other quote, and the displayed size will be limited (you have to scroll to see the rest, from right inside the post itself).

Code:
To use the quote tag manually, simply type

[quote]

before the article, and

[/quote]

after the article. That's it.

I might also stress that I'm tired of seeing articles posted with NO LINKS whatsoever to the original. That is NOT GOOD, so please -- either way -- include links to the original article every time you quote something in full.

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: An Appeal to Moderation [Re: J Geoff] #644400
04/18/12 01:30 PM
04/18/12 01:30 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Originally Posted By: J Geoff

You can scroll within a quote box? Well, I sure can't - everything in Geoff's quote box (in the previous post) was displayed in its entirety.

Am I the only one who doesn't seem to have this feature? confused

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: An Appeal to Moderation [Re: Signor Vitelli] #644405
04/18/12 02:15 PM
04/18/12 02:15 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
You can scroll within a quote box? Well, I sure can't - everything in Geoff's quote box (in the previous post) was displayed in its entirety.

Am I the only one who doesn't seem to have this feature?

How do you know that everything is included? On my pc the quote box has the slider on the right . You MAY be the only one having an issue. Then again, it COULD be your settings. MAYBE you've set a very small print size allowing all the characters to fit.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull