GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (TheKillingJoke, furio_from_naples, 1 invisible), 356 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday Tommasino Neri.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,428
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,840
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,507
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,307
Posts1,058,320
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: pizzaboy] #650487
06/08/12 02:01 PM
06/08/12 02:01 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
I love animals and all, but I think I would have liked to have seen Anthony Casso shoot Jimmy Hydell's dog. The look on Hydell's face had to be priceless.

That story always pissed me off. I would have preferred he just shoot Hydell himself.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: IvyLeague] #650488
06/08/12 02:05 PM
06/08/12 02:05 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
I would have preferred he just shoot Hydell himself.

He got around to that, too whistle.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: pizzaboy] #650494
06/08/12 02:43 PM
06/08/12 02:43 PM
Texas
TonyG Offline
Capo
TonyG  Offline
Capo
Texas
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
I love animals and all, but I think I would have liked to have seen Anthony Casso shoot Jimmy Hydell's dog. The look on Hydell's face had to be priceless.

lol lol lol Nothing compared to the look on his face when Casso got hold of him!

Best way to catch the smart ones? Get an idiot working for them.
Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: NickyScarfo] #650780
06/10/12 02:14 PM
06/10/12 02:14 PM
NJ
F
FrankMazola Offline
Underboss
FrankMazola  Offline
F
Underboss
NJ
You know… I gotta say I'm interested about this Generation. Think about it… the up and coming generation is about as Americanized as anyone I went to college with, save for maybe a vowel at the end of the name. Times are more paranoid than ever. This current generation of made guys, captains and bosses came up in "the generation of the rat". Now more than ever, assholes go on the internet and post about these guys… watching their every move, stalking them like celebrities… it's crazy. TV shows realistically portray them, showing off to the world actually how they operate. And while all this attention is on these guys, they still have to earn. The union shakedowns of the past are being swapped for Wall Street "Pump and Dump" scams. Street crime is getting harder to get away with (and arguably less lucrative). I'm interested to see if this (in my opinion) truly American subculture goes the way of the Cowboy, or if it alters it's shape and appearance which would surely be to the chagrin of the FBI and US Attorney's Office.

Last edited by FrankMazola; 06/10/12 02:14 PM.

F. Mazola, Esq.
Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: FrankMazola] #650793
06/10/12 03:02 PM
06/10/12 03:02 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: FrankMazola
You know… I gotta say I'm interested about this Generation. Think about it… the up and coming generation is about as Americanized as anyone I went to college with, save for maybe a vowel at the end of the name. Times are more paranoid than ever. This current generation of made guys, captains and bosses came up in "the generation of the rat". Now more than ever, assholes go on the internet and post about these guys… watching their every move, stalking them like celebrities… it's crazy. TV shows realistically portray them, showing off to the world actually how they operate. And while all this attention is on these guys, they still have to earn. The union shakedowns of the past are being swapped for Wall Street "Pump and Dump" scams. Street crime is getting harder to get away with (and arguably less lucrative). I'm interested to see if this (in my opinion) truly American subculture goes the way of the Cowboy, or if it alters it's shape and appearance which would surely be to the chagrin of the FBI and US Attorney's Office.

+1

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: NickyScarfo] #650799
06/10/12 03:42 PM
06/10/12 03:42 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
It will be interesting to read about today's "Mafia history" ten years from now.

It seems like many years after the fact we hear the details of how the ins & outs of the scams pulled resulted in millions of dollars.

Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: Mark] #650800
06/10/12 03:54 PM
06/10/12 03:54 PM
Balkans
Strax Offline
Underboss
Strax  Offline
Underboss
Balkans
Originally Posted By: Mark
It will be interesting to read about today's "Mafia history" ten years from now.

It seems like many years after the fact we hear the details of how the ins & outs of the scams pulled resulted in millions of dollars.

That's right BIG +. I thought about it many times,15-20 years from now,reading about today's mafia...

"A fish with his mouth closed never get's caught"
Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: FrankMazola] #650802
06/10/12 04:06 PM
06/10/12 04:06 PM
Texas
TonyG Offline
Capo
TonyG  Offline
Capo
Texas
Originally Posted By: FrankMazola

I also agree. Your position assumes that the mob is getting smarter to pull the white collar, intelligent crimes. IMO, the LCN of the future will be dominated by the more intelligent criminals, and the traditional street crime will be a smaller piece.

Best way to catch the smart ones? Get an idiot working for them.
Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: NickyScarfo] #650803
06/10/12 04:08 PM
06/10/12 04:08 PM
Queenstown, New Zealand
NickyScarfo Offline OP
Underboss
NickyScarfo  Offline OP
Underboss
Queenstown, New Zealand
I think were moving more and more towards cyber OC, where its less about being a tough guy more about being smart. Today you can rob millions online instead of having to hold up a bank with guns.

Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: Mark] #650843
06/10/12 06:42 PM
06/10/12 06:42 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Mark

To be honest, this is exactly what today's LCN is the least interesting to me. The pieces aren't there. Murders are committed, but we don't know why, and scams are as well, but we don't have details. The less you know, the less interesting, I say. Which is why my most fascinating mob times are...

60's-80's Chicago.
Frighteningly brutal, rackets everywhere, and the murder toll of the entire outfit has been compiled several times.

30's-70's LA Family.
The image of the Mickey Mouse Mafia always left me wanting to know more. Research raises so many debates that I always go back for more. Did Frank DeSimone rape the wife of his Underboss, or was that rumor? Was Nick Licata even weaker than DeSimone? Was Jack Dragna a weak Don or was he respected, but doing things differently? And finally, the most interesting questioon of all. If Jimmy Frattiano was the first to realize that the image of the LA Family was a poor one, could he have succeeding in making them respected once more? It's especially interesting to me because the whole history is very cohesive, much more so than the other families. One boss follows the other follows the other, and the same few guys stick around.

50's - 80's. Russell Bufalino Family.
What can I say, it's my favorite subject really. It makes a good story because they were involved in non-traditional rackets that really give you a feel of what Northeastern Pennsylvania was like. It also gives perfect examples of how the mob never misses a beat when it comes to making money. There's a lot of history with coal union corruption, including all out war, but Russell Bufalino held things down well and made a lot of money. When the coal mines drowned up, he seamlessly transitioned to garment industry racketeering, and gave all his men front jobs as managers in his dress businesses. Also, something we should all know, Russell Bufalino lieutenants were manufacturing our nuclear warheads in Vietnam. By the end of it all, he was so respected he served as acting boss for the most powerful family in the United States. The Genovese.

Last edited by BarrettM; 06/10/12 06:44 PM.
Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: BarrettM] #650846
06/10/12 07:00 PM
06/10/12 07:00 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: BarrettM
To be honest, this is exactly what today's LCN is the least interesting to me. The pieces aren't there. Murders are committed, but we don't know why, and scams are as well, but we don't have details. The less you know, the less interesting, I say.

Maybe that's why I find today's LCN the most interesting. Because I've been documenting every case I can find since 2000. So, I'm aware there is actually a lot going on. Granted, a lot more was going on years ago but we've all read those books.

Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: IvyLeague] #650856
06/10/12 07:24 PM
06/10/12 07:24 PM
Camden County NJ
jmack Offline
Made Member
jmack  Offline
Made Member
Camden County NJ
I'm fascinated with the Genovese family from the time Chin took over (around 1980) until today. The families current success should be directly attributed to him. He promoted the right people and enforced strict policy. I would really enjoy a detailed book on him. Problem is, I don't think anyone with that kind of info would ever give it up.

Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: IvyLeague] #650865
06/10/12 07:39 PM
06/10/12 07:39 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
To be honest, this is exactly what today's LCN is the least interesting to me. The pieces aren't there. Murders are committed, but we don't know why, and scams are as well, but we don't have details. The less you know, the less interesting, I say.

Maybe that's why I find today's LCN the most interesting. Because I've been documenting every case I can find since 2000. So, I'm aware there is actually a lot going on. Granted, a lot more was going on years ago but we've all read those books.

Sure. There's a lot to be said for keeping word files on what you can find, and I would be proud if I had gotten as far as you with the modern stuff. But when I create a timeline from this decade and a timeline from the 70's, I'm a lot happier with a lot less questions. That's just me, though.

Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: BarrettM] #650866
06/10/12 07:53 PM
06/10/12 07:53 PM
Ivan Offline
Underboss
Ivan  Offline
Underboss
The less you know, the less interesting, I say.

Strongly disagree. When there's an element of mystery there, it's a hell of a lot more intriguing to me. This is also true of the best crime fiction. And when something isn't known well, it's more "rewarding" (for lack of a better word) when you manage to hunt it down. (I've had a blast over the past year searching for Youngstown stuff, because it's a lot harder to find.)

On a somewhat related note, another thing I like is when stupid myths about the mob get shot down by people who know what they're talking about. grin

Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: Ivan] #650867
06/10/12 07:57 PM
06/10/12 07:57 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Ivan
The less you know, the less interesting, I say.

And when something isn't known well, it's more "rewarding" (for lack of a better word) when you manage to hunt it down. (I've had a blast over the past year searching for Youngstown stuff, because it's a lot harder to find.)

Right. That's why I research the relatively obscure areas above. Youngstown is a good example too. I just like that in the end, I'll find everything. In the end it's all there.

Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: BarrettM] #650869
06/10/12 08:04 PM
06/10/12 08:04 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
Another thing. Guys like Tony Mirra, Gaspipe Casso, Felix Alderisio all had larger than life personalities. I'm sure plenty of the mob leaders today do as well, but I don't feel like I can know until 10 years from now.

Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: BarrettM] #650870
06/10/12 08:27 PM
06/10/12 08:27 PM
Ivan Offline
Underboss
Ivan  Offline
Underboss
Another thing. Guys like Tony Mirra, Gaspipe Casso, Felix Alderisio all had larger than life personalities. I'm sure plenty of the mob leaders today do as well, but I don't feel like I can know until 10 years from now.

Joey Merlino is the most recent over-the-top larger-than-life character I can think of, and he went away about ten years ago.

Some of the guys in Family Secrets were pretty distinct characters, but they were from another era.

Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: Ivan] #650956
06/11/12 01:05 PM
06/11/12 01:05 PM
Camden County NJ
jmack Offline
Made Member
jmack  Offline
Made Member
Camden County NJ
Originally Posted By: Ivan

Joey Merlino is the most recent over-the-top larger-than-life character I can think of, and he went away about ten years ago.

Some of the guys in Family Secrets were pretty distinct characters, but they were from another era.

Yes, but a lot is known about Joey already. I think what Barrett is referring to is the fact that information usually isn't learned about many mobsters until the are in jail for life or dead, if we even find out then. Look at the most powerful members of the Genovese family, not much is known about them and they are the most powerful mobsters in the country. Time may or may not tell who these guys actually were.

Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: NickyScarfo] #651952
06/17/12 09:54 PM
06/17/12 09:54 PM
Slapout, Alabama
R
ronnie_little Offline
Made Member
ronnie_little  Offline
R
Made Member
Slapout, Alabama
70's and 80's. Castellano, Dellacroce, Carallo, Persico, Salerno, Galante, Scarpa, Chin, Gaggi, DeMeo, many more. A lot of modern day LCN bigshots were in there prime then. Alot are dead too. The books were reopened. Pizza connection. RICO was born.

Last edited by ronnie_little; 06/17/12 09:56 PM.
Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: TonyG] #652016
06/18/12 05:47 AM
06/18/12 05:47 AM
T
tiger84 Offline
Capo
tiger84  Offline
T
Capo
Originally Posted By: TonyG
[quote=Dapper_Don]When Casso, Gotti, Orena, Massino and Chin were running amok in NY

You could not have said it better Dapper - a psychopath, a narcissist, an upstart, a fat rat and a nutty genius running the 5 families. Talk about a can of mixed vegetables.

It is interesting to reflect upon the "talents" of these 5, compared to their predecessors. Only one, Chin, can be regarded as a strong leader. The rest of them bear responsibility for weakening their families.

Your right but i think if Orena won the war the colombos would of been in a lot better shape.I mean they had guys Like cutolo and scopo who could of lead the families and they were whacked all so persico and his blood relatives could still be running things even from behind bars.Any colombo guys who took persicos side in that war are idiots

Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: tiger84] #652116
06/18/12 03:58 PM
06/18/12 03:58 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Originally Posted By: tiger84
[quote=Dapper_Don]When Casso, Gotti, Orena, Massino and Chin were running amok in NY

You could not have said it better Dapper - a psychopath, a narcissist, an upstart, a fat rat and a nutty genius running the 5 families. Talk about a can of mixed vegetables.

It is interesting to reflect upon the "talents" of these 5, compared to their predecessors. Only one, Chin, can be regarded as a strong leader. The rest of them bear responsibility for weakening their families.

Your right but i think if Orena won the war the colombos would of been in a lot better shape.I mean they had guys Like cutolo and scopo who could of lead the families and they were whacked all so persico and his blood relatives could still be running things even from behind bars.Any colombo guys who took persicos side in that war are idiots

i completely agree with you on the colombos and orena.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: NickyScarfo] #657894
07/30/12 07:41 PM
07/30/12 07:41 PM
N
NeriCorleone Offline
Associate
NeriCorleone  Offline
N
Associate
For me is anything pre-Gotti. The best mafia times!

Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: NeriCorleone] #657901
07/30/12 08:24 PM
07/30/12 08:24 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
I prefer the 80s since it's only then that the mafiosi had finally started to get arrested.

Originally Posted By: tiger84

I know it's a little off-topic, but the can of mixed vegetables comparison reminds me of the Sicilian boss Vincenzo Di Carlo who was at the site time a school teacher, a justice of peace, the secretary of the local Democratic Christian Party, a police informant and a mafia boss. That's really a can of mixed vegetables too.

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: IvyLeague] #657906
07/30/12 09:17 PM
07/30/12 09:17 PM
S
strococs Offline
Capo
strococs  Offline
S
Capo
The more recent years. Like 2000 to the present. The mob, from the 1930's through the 1990's has been covered sufficiently from any number of sources. Going back to the early part of the 20th century, and late 1800's, sort seems sort of futile beyond a certain point. From 2000 to the present is now, is happening, and is continually moving. Personally, I think it's fascinating to watch the families that still tread water, while observing the decay overall.

Its almost like the cowboys of the old west they will probably soon only be the legend of the Italian mob.

Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: strococs] #657907
07/30/12 09:19 PM
07/30/12 09:19 PM
S
strococs Offline
Capo
strococs  Offline
S
Capo
I would say Cleveland 40's to the 90's.
Since I am from there

but how can you not like phili pretty crazy shit going down there at least after the Bruno hit until merlino was busted its pretty interesting.

Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: NickyScarfo] #657929
07/31/12 02:25 AM
07/31/12 02:25 AM
Ted Offline
Underboss
Ted  Offline
Underboss
Modern times. This stuff is going on all around us!

"I die outside; I die in jail. It don't matter to me," -John Franzese
Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: NickyScarfo] #692017
01/20/13 11:23 PM
01/20/13 11:23 PM
UK
S
streetbossliborio Offline
Underboss
streetbossliborio  Offline
S
Underboss
UK
so many to list. begin with the luciano era where he whacked maranzano etc. scarfo's mad years then merlino war with stanfa. obviously the gotti years when he whacked paul. the nino and roy years. the casso and amuso years. vincent gigante pretending to be a nutter as boss era. colombo war with gallo and then the one with vito arena. after the comission trial when these old bosses make toasts. paul ricca years before he stepped back. pizza connection. carmine galante getting out of jail blowing costellos grave up/donnie brasco times with the 3 capos rubbed out. bill bonanno marrying rosaline profaci in the 60's if im correct? carlo years as the boss of america list goes on and on.

Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: NickyScarfo] #692018
01/20/13 11:24 PM
01/20/13 11:24 PM
UK
S
Underboss
S
Underboss
UK
*victor arena

Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: NickyScarfo] #692020
01/20/13 11:28 PM
01/20/13 11:28 PM
UK
S
Underboss
S
Underboss
UK
quite ironic how the majority of the years found most fascinating where the crap bosses eg casso amuso, scarfo, gotti, merlino, galante etc - all way too murderous and/or media hungry limiting their years of power. i would include luciano in this list. after researching the guy extensively he was way too available to the media and way too flashy to be a long term boss. still its lucky the legend!

Re: Your Most Fascinating Mob Times and Why? [Re: NickyScarfo] #692198
01/21/13 07:35 PM
01/21/13 07:35 PM
Massachusetts
southend Offline
Underboss
southend  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts
the pizza connection days, scarfo era in south philly, chin's reign,skyball scibell/early al bruno era in springfield, and right now for the rizzutos/calabrians in montreal

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull