GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 205 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,930
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,337
Posts1,058,870
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Holy Week #642474
04/02/12 08:12 PM
04/02/12 08:12 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline OP
MaryCas  Offline OP

South of the Pinelands
Several members are practicing Christians and might find this thread a place to post their feelings, thoughts, experiences of Holy Week. Easter is the high point of Christian faith. For 25 years I have been a member of the church choir. As a choir member, I have gained a much deeper understanding of the faith, but I'm not going to get preachy here. For me Palm Sunday "kicks it off". The music starts off optimistic as palms herald the arrival of Jesus and then turns somber and sad with the sentencing by Pilate. I will also attend and sing at Holy Thursday, attend Good Friday, sing at the Vigil mass on Saturday night and then again on Easter morning. It is a very spirit-filled few days.

Somewhat connected to Holy Week is a video I made. No explanation needed. Its only 1 min, 7 sec.
All You Need Is Love

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Holy Week [Re: MaryCas] #642502
04/02/12 09:35 PM
04/02/12 09:35 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
MC, that sounds lovely. As a Catholic school girl, I fondly remember the services and ceremonies during Holy Week.

Here is a rather cynical observation from our former monsignor. He always swore that Palm Sunday was the best-attended day at church. He said that the parishioners felt they were getting something for nothing! lol

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Holy Week [Re: MaryCas] #642504
04/02/12 09:41 PM
04/02/12 09:41 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: MaryCas
Somewhat connected to Holy Week is a video I made. No explanation needed. Its only 1 min, 7 sec.
All You Need Is Love

Very nice. But why are you taking credit for the singing, Mary? That's definitely a guy's voice.

I like your old hippy stuff and renditions!

Re: Holy Week [Re: SC] #642507
04/02/12 09:53 PM
04/02/12 09:53 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Nice video MC. smile

I'm reminded of Catholic school where we had to go to mass everyday and EVERY religious holiday is "extra" special especially during Lent with Ash Wednesday, Holy Thursday, Good Friday and of course Easter Sunday.

My father, who was a hard worker, working 6 or 7 days a week could never close shop BUT would lock the door to his dry cleaners and not take customers between 12:00 - 3:00 in acknowledgement of good Friday and the hours Jesus was on the cross.

My grandmother lived right by the church and many times after mass we'd go there. She'd make really neat crosses (woven) out of the Palms she got from church. Me, I'm not that talented. If I make simple cross that doesn't fall apart, I'm doing good. tongue

Happy Easter to all those who celebrate. smile

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Holy Week [Re: MaryCas] #642519
04/03/12 12:00 AM
04/03/12 12:00 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Remember high masses? and in Latin?

Were any other Board members alter boys?

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Holy Week [Re: olivant] #642523
04/03/12 02:41 AM
04/03/12 02:41 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted By: olivant
Remember high masses? and in Latin?
Were any other Board members alter boys?

I wasn't, tho it almost felt that way going to CCD classes thru 9th grade.

I don't go to church regularly any more, tho I should - it's mostly laziness. I'll go with my dad on Christmas and enjoy it. It's not in Latin, though.

I'll often watch Mass on EWTN which is as Catholic as you can get -- and that's half Latin. (I like to think it's the thought that counts -- It's always been more spiritual/personal to me than an organized set-your-alarm-and-go-somewhere type of thing. Most of the people there treat it as an obligation, yet don't take it that seriously by showing up in shorts in the Summer, or during Winter don't even take their coats off)

MC - Nice video!

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Holy Week [Re: J Geoff] #642546
04/03/12 09:06 AM
04/03/12 09:06 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Well done, MC.

Growing up in the Scranton area, I have many warm, comforting memories of Holy Week. One of my earliest memories when I was 3 or 4 involved following my dad around the back yard as he did some yard work on Easter Saturday. It must have been one of the first sunny days of the Spring. When he finished the gardening, he brought me over to an area in the yard where we had three large rose bushes. He clipped several of the thorny limbs and twisted them, making a small crown of thorns, and told me how Jesus was crowned before his crucifixion. I remember marveling at the handiwork, thinking that my dad can make anything. During every subsequent Palm Sunday mass I've thought about this moment.

Also, a warm memory of this week is how my family would visit three churches every Holy Thursday evening for about 15 minutes. We'd often visit four or five churches and end the night with a late meal out somewhere, which wasa a big deal.

Re: Holy Week [Re: klydon1] #642553
04/03/12 11:03 AM
04/03/12 11:03 AM
California

California
The Catholic school I attended belonged to the Church (primarily Italian Parish at that time). The Priest was Italian, the nuns were also Italian, wearing grey habits (I believe the order was Consolata (?)). ALL of them spoke with accents. lol I wasn't thrilled about having to go to mass every single day. tongue

The school total was less than 100 kids (very small) and the mass was in Latin. We would respond to Priest in Latin.

Btw, remember when you'd go to the communion rail and kneel to get communion? AND, remember when ONLY the Priest could administer it? I STILL find myself trying to go in the line where the Priest is giving communion. Time marches on I guess but some things I liked as they were.

Am I totally off topic on this thread?

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Holy Week [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #642554
04/03/12 11:09 AM
04/03/12 11:09 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
As usual, I gave up both cheese and wine for Lent (I have a weakness for both). So Saturday at midnight, I'll have a nice glass of chianti and a piece of my wife's pizza rustica. I can't wait!

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Holy Week [Re: SC] #642565
04/03/12 12:32 PM
04/03/12 12:32 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline OP
MaryCas  Offline OP

South of the Pinelands
Originally Posted By: SC
Originally Posted By: MaryCas
All You Need Is Love

Very nice. But why are you taking credit for the singing, Mary? That's definitely a guy's voice.

I like your old hippy stuff and renditions!

That's me singing. Hormone therapy.

I'm working on a protest song.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Holy Week [Re: MaryCas] #642570
04/03/12 01:19 PM
04/03/12 01:19 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
TIS, until you mentioned that, I forgot about kneeling at the altar for Communion. And remember we always had to cover our heads for church. When the Church discontinued that practice, it killed the hat industry.

Living in the Bronx, it was always a big deal when all the women would go to mass on Easter in their new hats. We always went to early mass because you had to stop eating the night before. Then we would walk home on "the Avenue", which was White Plains Road, and we would stop for the Sunday papers and for danish and fresh-baked bread at the local bakery.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Holy Week [Re: MaryCas] #642571
04/03/12 01:22 PM
04/03/12 01:22 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
TIS, our neighborhood church distributed communion at the altar;it was the only one around that did it that way.

I also remember when only the priest distributed communion. I'm guessing it was about 1975 when they allowed eucharistic ministers. That was strange, indeed.

What took me longer to adjust was receiving communion by hand.

Back to Holy Week: When I was in school I regularly attended the Stastions of the Cross on Fridays. I haven't done it in the past several years and I miss it.

Re: Holy Week [Re: Sicilian Babe] #642575
04/03/12 01:29 PM
04/03/12 01:29 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
and we would stop for the Sunday papers and for danish and fresh-baked bread at the local bakery.

A&M or Dante's? wink smile

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Holy Week [Re: pizzaboy] #642577
04/03/12 01:38 PM
04/03/12 01:38 PM
California

California
SB, yes I DO remember having to cover our heads in church. Remember for weddings the funny looking head pieces the bridesmaids would have to wear? lol

Speaking of attire for church, I remember "having" to get dressed up (usually had to wear a dress when I was little) for church. Admittedly, now I dress casually many times for church BUT I am still amazed at how some people do dress for mass. Beachwear, torn jeans are not appropriate IMHO, ESPCIALLY if you are bringing up the gifts to the Priest. To quote Oli, "Madonne!!" LOL

One more thing, one of the changes that I liked right from the start is when they started Saturday evening masses. As a young person who usually stayed out late on Saturday nights, I really liked to be able to sleep in on Sunday. lol Even now to this day, I prefer Saturday night mass as opposed to Sunday Morning.

TIS

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull