GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 318 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,491
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,925
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,334
Posts1,058,830
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Go home you Guinea Slobs" #642472
04/02/12 08:06 PM
04/02/12 08:06 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
I'd like to propose a scenario. Suppose that back during the era when our great-granparents and grandparents came here from Italy, what if we had the media we have today: newspaper, the web, cable TV, radio, and 24/7 news. Would our ancestors have been raked over the coals like some in the media rake immigrants (legal or illegal) today? Afterall, how many of them spoke english?; how many jobs were they taking from real Americans?; were they still loyal to Italy?: what about that strange food?; they all stick together in those ghettos; and what about the Mafia?

I wonder.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: "Go home you Guinea Slobs" [Re: olivant] #642524
04/03/12 02:52 AM
04/03/12 02:52 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

I'm not sure what "real Americans" means in this context... wink

But you probably have a point in there. The Media sucks*.

*(Off topic: Yes, I'm a Grammar Whore, but don't always play by the rules. I think Media should be a singular/collective noun. I hate "the Media are" as much as I hate "[band name] are" -- Bon Jovi IS playing; the Rolling Stones ARE playing. It should be as easy as that, but no....)

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: "Go home you Guinea Slobs" [Re: J Geoff] #642530
04/03/12 05:40 AM
04/03/12 05:40 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: J Geoff

*(Off topic: Yes, I'm a Grammar Whore, but don't always play by the rules. I think Media should be a singular/collective noun. I hate "the Media are"

singular: medium
plural: media

Re: "Go home you Guinea Slobs" [Re: Danito] #642532
04/03/12 07:02 AM
04/03/12 07:02 AM
S
Scorsese Offline
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline
S
Underboss
I think that if they had the same media back then italians wouldnt have assimilated into white society as well as they did.

Re: "Go home you Guinea Slobs" [Re: Scorsese] #642641
04/03/12 09:32 PM
04/03/12 09:32 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Oli, the constant among media, then and now, is that media don't produce themselves--they are written, edited, scripted, published and videoed by people who bring their own life experiences--including biases and stereotypes--to what they report on. If all those media existed a century ago, there'd be that much more opportunity to express bigotry against Italians.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: "Go home you Guinea Slobs" [Re: olivant] #642739
04/04/12 10:58 PM
04/04/12 10:58 PM
Tampa and Queens
S
Skinny_Vinny Offline
Capo
Skinny_Vinny  Offline
S
Capo
Tampa and Queens
What media?

Who rakes immigrants over the coals?

I think immigrants from the past wish they had it half as good as today's immigrants.

Re: "Go home you Guinea Slobs" [Re: Scorsese] #642740
04/04/12 11:08 PM
04/04/12 11:08 PM
Tampa and Queens
S
Skinny_Vinny Offline
Capo
Skinny_Vinny  Offline
S
Capo
Tampa and Queens
It may have slowed down the assimilation process.

If Italians had RAI via Dish Network or cable back in the day, it may have resulted in fewer immigrants learning English.

Look at today's Hispanic immigrants. They have about 30 channels to chose from on free tv and cable. But they do seem to be assimilating. Most Hispanics under the age of 55 prefer English.

In the Chinese communities in Queens, mainly Flushing there are Chinese academies all over the place. Why? To teach Chinese. Why teach it in school? Because kids in the Chinese community aren't learning it at home anymore. But they feel that it's ridiculous to be Chinese and not speak the language. They feel America expects them to "speak their language".

Re: "Go home you Guinea Slobs" [Re: Turnbull] #642744
04/05/12 12:26 AM
04/05/12 12:26 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Oli, the constant among media, then and now, is that media don't produce themselves--they are written, edited, scripted, published and videoed by people who bring their own life experiences--including biases and stereotypes--to what they report on. If all those media existed a century ago, there'd be that much more opportunity to express bigotry against Italians.

Exactly. Just like me, I'm sure that the other Italian Board memebrs have relatives who can relate stories of prejudice against them because they were Italian. With widespread media during the early part of the 20th century, more and more non-Italians would have been alarmed at the influx of these people who could barely communicate in english and who weren't really American.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: "Go home you Guinea Slobs" [Re: olivant] #642765
04/05/12 12:07 PM
04/05/12 12:07 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Both sets of grandparents (and my father) came from Sicily in the 1920s. Although I am fairly sure they must have faced discrimination at some point, they NEVER discussed it with me. Then again, my father was very young and both my grandfathers passed away before I was born.

I DO know that most Italians that came to Grand Rapids Michigan, like my grandparents (some went to Detroit)did gather to their own neighborhoods, went to Italian parish churches and stuck together. Many of my relatives started their own businesses. My father and uncle (and some cousins) started in their own Dry Cleaning businesses. One Great Uncle had a shoe repair shop (remember those?). One grandfather worked for the railroad and one started his own convenience type store in Detroit before moving to Grand Rapids.

One of my favorite stories my father told me was when he started school in America. His parents spoke no English, and my father literally learned it from playing in the neighborhood and such. My father had to translate what my grandmother said to his teacher. My grandmother told my father, "You tell your teacher if you misbehave she has permission to spank you. AND if you come home crying because you got spanked, you'll get another spanking." lol My dad explained how as a little kid he hated to tell the teacher that be of course did as he was told. LOL I can't even imagine that going over today.

Looking back I guess I was raised in a more positive atmosphere. I was taught to be a proud American and yet to have enormous pride in my heritage as well. I guess I've done the same with my kids. smile

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: "Go home you Guinea Slobs" [Re: olivant] #642796
04/05/12 04:40 PM
04/05/12 04:40 PM
Tampa and Queens
S
Skinny_Vinny Offline
Capo
Skinny_Vinny  Offline
S
Capo
Tampa and Queens
When my grandmothers' sister got married, they found an apartment on Wycoff Ave and Gates along the Queens/Brooklyn border.

Neighborhood was still German. So they had to get a German friend to vouch that they were "good ginnies" or they weren't going to get that apartment.

Re: "Go home you Guinea Slobs" [Re: Skinny_Vinny] #642798
04/05/12 04:50 PM
04/05/12 04:50 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Originally Posted By: Skinny_Vinny
When my grandmothers' sister got married, they found an apartment on Wycoff Ave and Gates along the Queens/Brooklyn border.

Neighborhood was still German. So they had to get a German friend to vouch that they were "good ginnies" or they weren't going to get that apartment.

That's exactly where my grandparents live, even today...on Gates Avenue and Wyckoff. Seriously. If you use google earth, type in "Carmela's grandparents", it'll come up. Go ahead, you know you wanna.

La madre degli idioti e' sempre incinta.

Re: "Go home you Guinea Slobs" [Re: carmela] #642802
04/05/12 05:14 PM
04/05/12 05:14 PM
Tampa and Queens
S
Skinny_Vinny Offline
Capo
Skinny_Vinny  Offline
S
Capo
Tampa and Queens
Originally Posted By: carmela

That's exactly where my grandparents live, even today...on Gates Avenue and Wyckoff. Seriously. If you use google earth, type in "Carmela's grandparents", it'll come up. Go ahead, you know you wanna.

Amazing they still live there. They must be in their eighties based on the age I think you are.

I went to Spanish mass at St. Brigid's about a month ago. Do they go to that parish?

As much as people here complain about racism against Italians, truth is, by the 1930's, and probably sooner, there were lots of Italians marrying Germans, Irish, or whatever else. Italians were already assimilating and accepted into mainstream culture in places like NY. Might have been different in other parts of America.

Re: "Go home you Guinea Slobs" [Re: Skinny_Vinny] #642807
04/05/12 05:26 PM
04/05/12 05:26 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Originally Posted By: carmela

Amazing they still live there. They must be in their eighties based on the age I think you are.

I went to Spanish mass at St. Brigid's about a month ago. Do they go to that parish?

As much as people here complain about racism against Italians, truth is, by the 1930's, and probably sooner, there were lots of Italians marrying Germans, Irish, or whatever else. Italians were already assimilating and accepted into mainstream culture in places like NY. Might have been different in other parts of America.

You and I are the same age, remember? wink They're in their 90's, still hanging on Gates. grin Gotta love rent control. haha

Yeah, even when I still lived on Grove St, there were a lot of Germans, Irish, Syrians moving in.

Yes! St. Brigid's was my parish and it's still theirs. I loved that church. How great you attended Mass there. I barely go into Ridgewood anymore.

I agree with what you've said in here with regard to the topic, too.

Re: "Go home you Guinea Slobs" [Re: olivant] #642876
04/06/12 01:08 PM
04/06/12 01:08 PM
Tampa and Queens
S
Skinny_Vinny Offline
Capo
Skinny_Vinny  Offline
S
Capo
Tampa and Queens
Carmela,

Why do you avoid Ridgewood?

Re: "Go home you Guinea Slobs" [Re: Skinny_Vinny] #642902
04/06/12 04:04 PM
04/06/12 04:04 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
truth is, by the 1930's, and probably sooner, there were lots of Italians marrying Germans, Irish, or whatever else. Italians were already assimilating and accepted into mainstream culture in places like NY. Might have been different in other parts of America.

Yes. Italians had a tradition of marrying young, while other Europeans waited--especially Irish males who were most likely to wait until their mid-thirties.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: "Go home you Guinea Slobs" [Re: Skinny_Vinny] #642904
04/06/12 04:17 PM
04/06/12 04:17 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Carmela,

Why do you avoid Ridgewood?

Is not that I avoid it for any particular reason, but I have no real reason to go back. I'm a complete Jersey girl, but I'll go into Bklyn to see family, go to parties, whatever. There's nothing for me in Queens anymore. Well, Russo's On The Bay is nice, but that's another story. wink

Re: "Go home you Guinea Slobs" [Re: olivant] #642905
04/06/12 04:21 PM
04/06/12 04:21 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

"You goddamn guineas you really make me laugh. I do you a favor and take Freddie in when you're having a bad time, and now you're gonna try and push me out!"

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull