GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Irishman12, 1 invisible), 301 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,491
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,925
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,334
Posts1,058,832
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Was Connie Involved? #40644
09/24/06 12:39 PM
09/24/06 12:39 PM
La Cosa Nostra Offline OP
Wiseguy
La Cosa Nostra  Offline OP
Wiseguy
Wow I've been away far too long. Anyways, here's my question: was Connie activly involved with the murder of Fredo? And if so, why?

Look at the facts: Fredo and Anthony were about to go fishing together, when Connie comes up and tells Anthony "Your father wants to take you to Reno now!" Michael, or at least one of his men, would have had to tell Connie that. So when they got back to the house, which does seem off a ways from the boathouse, judging by the shot of the bandstand, they would have likely been asking, "Where's Michael?" Well, Michael's in the boathouse. The murder happened out in the middle of the lake, and the sun had set a bit later, plus Fredo had time to say a Hail Mary. That's a long time, don't you think Connie would have found Michael by then? That's a fairly broad definition of "now", also. And why does Fredo need someone to drive the boat for him? Protection? He's in Michael's compund, who's going to get him?! Or maybe Fredo simply didn't know how to drive the boat, but then again he mentioned how he used to go fishing all the time with his father and Sonny and Michael and Tom, so it stands to reason that at one point or another they all probably took a turn at driving the boat, because driving a boat would be a fun experience for a kid growing up.

Now why was Connie involved though? She knew that Michael had Carlo killed, and she obviously cared about Fredo, hence the mediation of Michael and Fredo at Mama's funeral.

What do you think this is the Army, where you shoot'em a mile away?

You've gotta get up close like this and bada-bing! you blow their brains all over your nice Ivy League suit.
Re: Was Connie Involved? #40645
09/24/06 01:25 PM
09/24/06 01:25 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by La Cosa Nostra:
...here's my question: was Connie activly involved with the murder of Fredo? ...
Here's my answer: No.

Even if she eventually figured out that Fredo died at Michael's order and not a 'drowning' accident (which most here conclude she did)...she would not have actively, consciously taken any part in his murder.

Furthermore, I don't believe Michael would have even wanted Connie involved.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Was Connie Involved? #40646
09/24/06 02:15 PM
09/24/06 02:15 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
I don't think she had any part in the murder of brother Fredo but, I agree with Apple, she knew who did murder him. How could she not know?

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Was Connie Involved? #40647
09/24/06 06:01 PM
09/24/06 06:01 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
LCN, you point out an anomaly: Connie says, "Michael wants to take him to Reno now [emphasis added]. But Michael's still in the boathouse when the shot rings out, so he obviously didn't take Anthony to Reno.
IMO, FFC had Michael in the boathouse, instead of on his way to Reno, as a dramatic device--so the current part of GFII could close with us witnessing Michael's ultimate decline into crime: hearing the sound of his brother being killed on his order. Realistically, Connie probably would have noticed that Michael didn't take Anthony to Reno after all. That would certainly have contributed to her (eventual) realization that Michael had Fredo killed (I'm one of those who believes she did). But it doesn't make her an active participant in Fredo's demise. Remember: Connie was the one who pleaded with Michael to forgive Fredo.

Now, there's a possible clue to Michael's character here. In GF, Michael cynically has Carlo murdered on the day he stood godfather to Carlo and Connie's son. How did he reconcile that? In the novel, Tom points out to Kay that it wasn't Michael's idea to stand godfather to the infant: it was Connie's idea. Projecting that subtext into GFII: it wasn't his idea to forgive Fredo--it was Connie's idea. Perhaps she realized that after Fredo disappeared and simply blocked out the horrible thought.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Was Connie Involved? #40648
09/24/06 06:27 PM
09/24/06 06:27 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Turnbull:
... Realistically, Connie probably would have noticed that Michael didn't take Anthony to Reno after all ...
We don't really know that. Since there's no evidence otherwise, one can assume I (if one really cares to go to such lengths) that Anthony is in his bedroom getting ready for Reno under the supervision of Aunt Connie, neither having any idea what is taking place on the lake. Since only Michael knows a shot is about to ring out...only Michael notices the sound of the shot. After recovering from the horrible act that was just committed on his own orders...he gets himself together and brings Anthony to Reno while Uncle Fredo goes fishing out on the lake. Don't think he couldn't pull it off.

Hours later, Neri returns alone, bringing with him the aweful news that Fredo fell out of the boat and drowned.

But...I don't think we need go to those lengths.

Does anyone else?

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Was Connie Involved? #40649
09/24/06 09:16 PM
09/24/06 09:16 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I agree Apple. The use of the term "now" is a function of the speaker's understanding of the urgency of the situation. Connie might have been told by Michael that he wanted to leave for Reno asap which could have meant in five minutes or in an hour.

She was in the dark.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Was Connie Involved? #40650
09/25/06 03:17 PM
09/25/06 03:17 PM
The BING
Sopranorleone Offline
Capo
Sopranorleone  Offline
Capo
The BING
Hi, this is my first post-great site!

To answer a part of your question no one touched on, I think Fredo went with Neri under the impression Neri was his friend. You can obviously see that Fredo was friendly with Neri, like at his mother's funeral, Fredo sees Neri and says, "Hi Al." So IMO, he went under the assumption Neri was his friend (Neri kept his friends close and his enemies closer smile ).

Also, I do not believe Connie would help Michael kill Fredo; but I do belive she realized it by GFIII.

Hope that helps!

Re: Was Connie Involved? #40651
09/26/06 11:35 AM
09/26/06 11:35 AM
St. Louis
Sonny_Corleone Offline
Associate
Sonny_Corleone  Offline
Associate
St. Louis
Connie did not know (in GF II) and was no way invovled with Fredo's death. Mike would have never let Connie in on something like that. Michael was much like his father, "Women and children can afford to be careless but not men." Michael doesn't seem like the type that would involve a woman, much less his sister Connie, in on such a big discision.

[Linked Image]Sonny

"Damn FBI dont respect nothin."
Re: Was Connie Involved? #40652
09/26/06 11:48 AM
09/26/06 11:48 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
A
Unregistered

I agree with Sonny, Michael would never let any woman, much less his kid sister, be involved with such a huge decision. Michael was definitely his father's son and The Godfather would NEVER involve a woman in his business.

I have read this board for a long time and its great to start posting and interacting with all the great people here. Including my kid brother Ace_Reutzel who just joined as well!

Re: Was Connie Involved? #40653
09/27/06 06:15 PM
09/27/06 06:15 PM
BadaBing Offline
Button
BadaBing  Offline
Button
Did MIchael even give Fredo a burial?

CHRISTIAN
You desecrated a classic film. This is worse than "Godfather III."
GIBSON
Whoa, whoa, hey, whoa! Let's not say things we can't take back.
CHRISTIAN
All right, all right, I'm sorry.
Re: Was Connie Involved? #40654
09/27/06 06:19 PM
09/27/06 06:19 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I think he called it a "burial at sea." wink

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Was Connie Involved? #40655
09/28/06 12:12 PM
09/28/06 12:12 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Connie did not know about Fredo in adviance, but she did figure it out over the years, and even forgave Michael for it in GFIII, where she was VERY involved, both in the unathorized hit on Zasa, ands in the planned poisoning of Altobello.

To that end, I wonder about how that planning went down....as of that time Vincent was in charge of the family, and it was Vincent's voice giving the orders to Neri and the rest of them to go kill the Archbishop, etc.
I think they knew Altobello could not be assassinated in the open because he had protection, so I suspect it was Connie's idea to slip him the poisoned cannoli, and she did so with Vincent's blessing. This raises the question:
DID MICHAEL KNOW THAT CONNIE WAS GOING TO KILL ALTOBELLO?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Was Connie Involved? #40656
09/28/06 02:27 PM
09/28/06 02:27 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I'm sure Michael was in on the planning of all of it. Vinnie just could not have the necessary experience to pull it off by himself.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull