GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 191 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,982
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,356
Posts1,059,114
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
anyone else think roth is like a... #40611
09/19/06 08:24 PM
09/19/06 08:24 PM
Connecticut
finsnasty84 Offline OP
Button
finsnasty84  Offline OP
Button
Connecticut
Stereotypical old person.

Liek when he has the cake, i find it funny that he is like I want everyone to see it before we cut it.

Like it just is kind of funny to me, because its something that the common elderly person does.

gdfella
Re: anyone else think roth is like a... #40612
09/20/06 03:15 AM
09/20/06 03:15 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Well, of course Roth is an old person in the film. But many of his "little old man" ways are shams, designed to fool Michael into thinking he's harmless--when in fact he's anything but. "Dying of that same heart attack"; "good health--the most important thing"; "I'm going in to take a nap now..."...all this is designed to mask his absolute dangerousness.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: anyone else think roth is like a... #40613
09/20/06 03:27 AM
09/20/06 03:27 AM
Top o' the World
Fame Offline
Underboss
Fame  Offline
Underboss
Top o' the World
Originally posted by Turnbull:
Well, of course Roth is an old person in the film. But many of his "little old man" ways are shams, designed to fool Michael into thinking he's harmless--when in fact he's anything but. "Dying of that same heart attack"; "good health--the most important thing"; "I'm going in to take a nap now..."...all this is designed to mask his absolute dangerousness.
Yes TB, but then, on the other hand, he does go on about Moe Green "I didnt ask" (clearly, telling Michael he knows it was him)-- I think in that particular scene he did remove the mask, and was being careless as to let Michael know his true feelings towards him, basically declaring himself a dangerous enemy who holds back a lot of anger inside over Moe Green's death.

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)
Re: anyone else think roth is like a... #40614
09/20/06 09:46 AM
09/20/06 09:46 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by Fame:
Originally posted by Turnbull:
[b] Well, of course Roth is an old person in the film. But many of his "little old man" ways are shams, designed to fool Michael into thinking he's harmless--when in fact he's anything but. "Dying of that same heart attack"; "good health--the most important thing"; "I'm going in to take a nap now..."...all this is designed to mask his absolute dangerousness.
Yes TB, but then, on the other hand, he does go on about Moe Green "I didnt ask" (clearly, telling Michael he knows it was him)-- I think in that particular scene he did remove the mask, and was being careless as to let Michael know his true feelings towards him, basically declaring himself a dangerous enemy who holds back a lot of anger inside over Moe Green's death. [/b]
I didn't interpret that as carelessness. Rather, I think Roth was clear sending a message that Michael shouldn't let the desire for revenge interfere with business.

Also, Roth may have been hinting that the Nevada hit cancels out Moe Green (a la the shootings of Vito and Bruno Tataglia) and they should now put grudges behind them and move forward.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: anyone else think roth is like a... #40615
09/20/06 09:54 AM
09/20/06 09:54 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally posted by Fame:
[/qb]
Yes TB, but then, on the other hand, he does go on about Moe Green "I didnt ask" (clearly, telling Michael he knows it was him)-- I think in that particular scene he did remove the mask, and was being careless as to let Michael know his true feelings towards him, basically declaring himself a dangerous enemy who holds back a lot of anger inside over Moe Green's death. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I think Michael had understood that Roth knew of Michael's involvement in Moe's death at the outset. I believe that the purpose and effect of Roth's Moe Green speech was not to reveal a dangerous side. I'm sure that Roth knew that Michael was aware of Roth's dangerous side. Rather, Roth was just pointing out that the hit on Frankie was just business and Michael shouldn't question him just as he didn't question Michael after the murder of Moe, a more influential figure than Frankie, who was "small potatoes." He pointed out that as great as Moe was, this was the business they had chosen, so he let it stand. I think this was designed to maintain a business relationship with Michael.

I think Roth felt secure in the Rosato brothers' attack on Frankie as Michael had told Roth that he had planned to kill him.

Re: anyone else think roth is like a... #40616
09/20/06 02:14 PM
09/20/06 02:14 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Yes, Roth did let his mask slip in that scene (IMO, one of the best in the Trilogy--notice how FFC shone the baby spotlights on Roth's eyes to make them glitter with anger). But I think the purpose was to divert Michael's suspicions of Roth and his motive for the attack on Frankie:

When Michael visited Roth in Florida, Michael clearly blamed Frankie for the Tahoe attack, and even asked Roth's permission to whack Frankie ("Frank Pentangeli is a dead man--you don't object?"). Roth must have felt mighty satisfied (or as Klydon said, secure): He engineered the Tahoe attack, it failed, and yet Michael blamed Frankie, not him--and even volunteered to kill Frankie.

But when Michael instead ordered Frankie to settle with the Rosatos, Roth must have known that Michael no longer suspected Frankie--meaning that Michael might suspect Roth. He ordered the Rosatos to whack Frankie to remove Michael's ally before the two of them could cook up mischief against Roth. So, when Michael, sounding confrontative, asked, "Who had Frank Pentangeli killed...I know I didn't," Roth needed to divert Michael's suspicions. He give his little speech about Moe Green as a way of telling Michael that his move against Frankie was a quid pro quo for Michael's murder of Moe Green.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull