GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (VanillaLimeCoke, TheKillingJoke, 1 invisible), 171 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,758
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,303
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,410
Posts1,060,414
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Move to Vegas #40499
09/03/06 12:43 PM
09/03/06 12:43 PM
Ann Arbor
S
stavka Offline OP
Made Member
stavka  Offline OP
S
Made Member
Ann Arbor
When and who chose to move the Family to Vegas and away from New York?

If Moe Green, Klingmann, the boys from Cleveland were already there, and backed by Roth, isn't that stepping from frying pan to fire?

"I don't shine shoes no more..."
Re: The Move to Vegas #40500
09/03/06 01:54 PM
09/03/06 01:54 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Michael decided to move the family to Nevada, probably with Vito's blessing. The move was crucial to Michael's long-term goal--obsession--to become "legitimate" by leveraging the Corleones' dominance of gambling and channeling it into legalized gambling. At that time (mid to late '50's), gambling was legalized in only two places in the Western Hemisphere: Nevada and Cuba.
Michael simply decided that he was going to be Numero Uno, and that nothing--not Moe Green, not Klingman, not the Lakeville Road Boys, not Hyman Roth--was going to stop him. He swatted Moe like a fly, and Roth accepted it. He could easily have swatted Klingman, the Lakeville Road Boys, and anyone else in Nevada, too. But he chose to curry favor with Roth, because Roth controlled gaming in the other place Michael wanted for his empire: Havana. So, in the deal he and Roth ostensibly agreed to, he'd become Roth's heir-apparent in Havana, and agree with Roth's plan to "give a piece" to the Lakeville Road Boys, the Penino brothers, etc. If the deal had gone off as planned, Michael would have moved them out later. But for the present, he needed Roth's assent because Roth was tight with Cuban President Batista.
The great irony was that Michael and Roth were playing each other like violins: Roth playing Michael's lust to become "legitimate" by becoming Mr. Big in Havana as well as Nevada; Michael playing Roth's greed for the $2 million to buy time to find out who the traitor was in his family.
That's one of the reasons why GFII is such a great, great film.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: The Move to Vegas #40501
09/04/06 07:39 AM
09/04/06 07:39 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Originally posted by Turnbull:
Michael decided to move the family to Nevada, probably with Vito's blessing.
As an aside; Vito died before they could move to Nevada. I would guess that Vito would not have left New York. For that matter would Michael have left? Michael makes a comment in GF that he wants Carlo to be his right hand man when they make the move to Nevada. We can assume now that the comment was made strictly to put Carlo at ease while Michael confirms his suspicions about Carlo. But that statement could imply that Michael was moving to Nevada and not staying in NY, but it could have just meanet that "we" was the business and not necessarily Michael in the flesh. Then Pop dies and plans change.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: The Move to Vegas #40502
09/04/06 01:11 PM
09/04/06 01:11 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
That's a good question, MC! The movie leaves it open, suggesting (at least to me) that Vito's death was the decisive factor.
But the novel is clearer: Even before Vito dies, he and Michael have a chat in which he says that he's going to make his moves after Kay has the baby and to give Hagen time to be settled in Vegas. He estimates that it'll be a year from the time of that conversation. Vito appears to have doubts: " 'You've prepared for everything?' He did not look at Michael when he said this." Michael seems to sense the Don's diffidence: "You have no part. You're not responsible...I would refuse to even let you veto. If you tried to do that I would leave the Family and go my own way."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: The Move to Vegas #40503
09/04/06 08:26 PM
09/04/06 08:26 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Kudos TB. I don't have the recall of the book that you do. It does answer many of those nagging little questions and ponderances (is that a word?). I can't see Vito ever leaving his beloved NY. Could he possibly get a good cannoli in Nevada? smile

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: The Move to Vegas #40504
09/04/06 08:55 PM
09/04/06 08:55 PM
The Corleone Compound
The Don of Bball Offline
Wiseguy
The Don of Bball  Offline
Wiseguy
The Corleone Compound
Originally posted by MaryCas:
Could he possibly get a good cannoli in Nevada? smile
Thats why Clemenza stayed behind. lol grin

Every man has but one destiny.
Re: The Move to Vegas #40505
09/05/06 12:10 PM
09/05/06 12:10 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Originally posted by The Don of Bball:
Originally posted by MaryCas:
[b] Could he possibly get a good cannoli in Nevada? smile
Thats why Clemenza stayed behind. lol grin [/b]
Thats why Michael moved back to New York. Also what exacerbated his diabetes.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull