GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 110 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,860
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,511
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,318
Posts1,058,489
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
$30-million bust likely linked to organized crime #635100
02/15/12 08:35 PM
02/15/12 08:35 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline OP
IvyLeague  Offline OP
I

Not sure of the mob links to this, if any....

$30-million bust likely linked to organized crime
By Erica Bajer QMI Agency
February 15, 2012

There's no doubt Niagara Regional Police's $30-million cocaine haul is linked to organized crime, says the case's top investigator.

Det. Staff Sgt. Joe Maggiolo said Friday's cocaine bust in St. Catharines is just too big not to be connected to a criminal organization.

"The network to getting here has to be very elaborate," he said during a press conference at police headquarters Wednesday.

Under heavily armed guard, police displayed the 110 kilos of cocaine officers seized.

"This in front of us is a lot of power and a lot of money," Maggiolo said. "Organized crime does have a hand in this."

The drugs, when cut with other substances by dealers, would be enough to put cocaine in the hands of nearly every resident in the region, he said.

Brothers Frank Anthony Alessio and Angelo Alessio, both of Niagara Falls, are charged with one count each of cocaine possession for the purpose of trafficking.

Frank Alessio, 32, lists himself as president of Artwood Flooring on the company’s website. It is headquartered on Eastchester Ave. E. in St. Catharines. He was a member of the board of directors of the home builders’ association for three years. During that time, he also sat on a committee that helped Habitat for Humanity build a home in Welland.

Angelo Alessio works at Artwood as an installer.

Employees of the flooring business were shocked to hear about the charges, which stem from a raid at 10 Davidson St., Unit 3, in St. Catharines early Friday morning.

“We have nothing to do with that property,” said an employee who didn’t wish to be identified.

The Alessio brothers are charged with cocaine possession for the purpose of trafficking. They are scheduled to have bail hearings Feb. 23 in St. Catharines court.

Maggiolo of the NRP intelligence unit said the haul — 110 kilograms — is the biggest in Niagara’s history.

“The cache of cocaine that we seized here, that’s a lot of dope,” he said. “What we have here is the pure product.”

Drug dealers often extend their supply by cutting their drugs with other substances. If that was done with the cocaine seized, Maggiolo said, the 110 kilos could become 330 kilos. That’s enough to put a gram of cocaine into the hands of 310,000 Niagara residents. Some of the drugs could also be turned into cheaper crack cocaine, he said.

Maggiolo said two men had access to the property, although they were not operating a business there.

“They had an opportunity to use that facility,” he said. “The unit is where we made the seizure.”

Maggiolo wouldn’t say why the police probe was launched but said Crime Stoppers often plays a role in police investigations.

He said the size of the haul is typical of what would be found at a border or port.

“This seizure . . . for an inland seizure, is just enormous,” he said.

He said where the cocaine originated from is under investigation.

“This is right from the source country,” he said.

It’s likely much of the cocaine was destined for elsewhere in the province, such as the Golden Horseshoe and Toronto, Maggiolo said.

He credited the officers with getting a significant amount of drugs off the streets.

“They are very hard working, dedicated people,” he said. “They are trying to attack a major drug problem. By doing this, we are definitely going to save some lives.”

Maggiolo said police searched the Davidson St. unit, Artwood Flooring and three residences in Niagara Falls.

The father of the two accused, who was contacted at the Casey St. home listed as Angelo Alessio’s residence, didn’t wish to comment on the case.

A neighbour of Frank Alessio on Kelly Dr. in Niagara Falls said he lived with his girlfriend and the pair kept to themselves.

Tenants at the Davidson St. building were surprised to learn the unit was being used at all.

Doug Green, of Loomis Express, said he didn’t notice any activity at the unit until 3 a.m. Friday when police raided the place.

“There was a whole slew of cops here,” he said.

Const. Paul Day confirmed part of the Davidson St. property was at one time used by the NRP for storage. It was vacated by police in 2003, he said.

http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3473178

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: $30-million bust likely linked to organized crime [Re: IvyLeague] #635101
02/15/12 08:39 PM
02/15/12 08:39 PM
New Jersey
Five_Felonies Offline
Underboss
Five_Felonies  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
wonder if there are any links to buffalo?

It's either blue cheese with wings or go fuck yer mudda!
Re: $30-million bust likely linked to organized crime [Re: IvyLeague] #635103
02/15/12 09:30 PM
02/15/12 09:30 PM
Texas
TonyG Offline
Capo
TonyG  Offline
Capo
Texas
Thanks for posting Ivy. That is a huge haul - more like what you see on the Texas - Mexico border.

Ivy - we have had debates about the drug trade and smuggling routes along the US Canada border previously. We agree on many things but respectfully disagree on others.

Makes ya wonder if came from the US on its way to the larger Canadian cities (Toronto & Montreal). Or, if it was brought into Canada for delivery south to the US.

The article speculates that it was headed to Toronto and other locales within the province.

What kind of time are these guys looking at? I am not familiar with Canadian law.

It will be interesting to see what turns up next, and if these guys flip.

Best way to catch the smart ones? Get an idiot working for them.
Re: $30-million bust likely linked to organized crime [Re: IvyLeague] #635106
02/15/12 09:50 PM
02/15/12 09:50 PM
C
CleveItalia Offline
Wiseguy
CleveItalia  Offline
C
Wiseguy
I dont know about canadian law, but from experience in the states they could be looking at 17-20 years just till they are parolled, (which will be denied) if they keep their mouthes shut, which they wont. If they talk, which they will, depending on who they give up and how their information pays off, they could be looking at 8-10 best case.

Re: $30-million bust likely linked to organized crime [Re: TonyG] #635110
02/15/12 10:53 PM
02/15/12 10:53 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline OP
IvyLeague  Offline OP
I

Originally Posted By: TonyG

Makes ya wonder if came from the US on its way to the larger Canadian cities (Toronto & Montreal). Or, if it was brought into Canada for delivery south to the US.

The article speculates that it was headed to Toronto and other locales within the province.

Without knowing more, I would assume the cocaine was headed north - whether by route through the U.S. or directly into Canada some other way. But even if this was a case where it was headed south into the U.S., which I doubt, it would be a very small amount compared to the amount of drugs going north.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: $30-million bust likely linked to organized crime [Re: TonyG] #635112
02/15/12 11:03 PM
02/15/12 11:03 PM
Ontario
M
Mussolini14 Offline
Capo
Mussolini14  Offline
M
Capo
Ontario
Originally Posted By: TonyG
Thanks for posting Ivy. That is a huge haul - more like what you see on the Texas - Mexico border.

Ivy - we have had debates about the drug trade and smuggling routes along the US Canada border previously. We agree on many things but respectfully disagree on others.

What kind of time are these guys looking at? I am not familiar with Canadian law.

It will be interesting to see what turns up next, and if these guys flip.

If its their first offense they could be out in 5 years. Nothing like the punishments in the States.

A few years back in my home town of Kitchener my coach was caught at the gym with 35kg of cocaine in his trunk and had a rather serious prior and he is already out. He was an ex-soldier and a bodyguard by trade and he seemed a little too wealthy for someone in that feild ( driving a new BMW and a half million $ house being built) but we had no idea he was into the drug trade and certainly not on that scale.

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/09/exblackwater-trainer-faces-drug-charges-canada

Last edited by Mussolini14; 02/16/12 07:10 AM.
Re: $30-million bust likely linked to organized crime [Re: IvyLeague] #635130
02/16/12 12:51 AM
02/16/12 12:51 AM
Canada
E
eurodave Offline
Capo
eurodave  Offline
E
Capo
Canada
I do know that Alessio is Calabrian last name which can be found in the province of Reggio Calabria.

Doesn't say what group they're linked to but wouldn't surprise me that they are linked to the Calabrians in Niagara. There's a huge community over there in both London and Niagara.

Re: $30-million bust likely linked to organized crime [Re: eurodave] #635390
02/17/12 07:42 PM
02/17/12 07:42 PM
Ontario
M
Mussolini14 Offline
Capo
Mussolini14  Offline
M
Capo
Ontario
Originally Posted By: eurodave
I do know that Alessio is Calabrian last name which can be found in the province of Reggio Calabria.

Doesn't say what group they're linked to but wouldn't surprise me that they are linked to the Calabrians in Niagara. There's a huge community over there in both London and Niagara.

How distinct is the name "Alessio" to Calabria? Would it also be a fairly common Sicilian name or is it rare for Italian surnames to overlap in different Italians provinces?

Last edited by Mussolini14; 02/17/12 11:38 PM.
Re: $30-million bust likely linked to organized crime [Re: IvyLeague] #635412
02/17/12 11:28 PM
02/17/12 11:28 PM
M
m2w Offline
Underboss
m2w  Offline
M
Underboss
its more probable that alessio is calabrian or napolitan, i dont know, it could be sicilian too

Re: $30-million bust likely linked to organized crime [Re: m2w] #635413
02/17/12 11:45 PM
02/17/12 11:45 PM
Ontario
M
Mussolini14 Offline
Capo
Mussolini14  Offline
M
Capo
Ontario
Originally Posted By: m2w
its more probable that alessio is calabrian or napolitan, i dont know, it could be sicilian too

I find it very interesting that despite the Italian provinces being in such close proximity to one another they maintain names unique to their territory even in the present day despite technology "connecting" everyone and making the world "smaller".

Last edited by Mussolini14; 02/17/12 11:53 PM.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull