GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 74 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,105
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,684
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? #633857
02/08/12 08:38 PM
02/08/12 08:38 PM
Australia
M
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica Offline OP
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica  Offline OP
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
So Ive noticed there's a good handful of musos on the boards. I was wondering; whats that song (or songs) you just love to play? Whether to "showcase" your abilities (or "show off"; oh yes, hello ladies tongue ) or just because you f**king love that song.

I figure Ill start:

Classical Gas. Always great. There's really only four or five different runs, just repeated and in different keys. Actually a reasonably simple song, but sounds great and awesome for practicing fingerpicking.

Norwegian Wood, by the Beatles. Oh yeah. Simple sort of lick around the D and C chords, sounds great and light and kinda fluttery.

Trying to learn the solo arrangement of Con Te Partiro. Freakin' tearjerker at the right time. The hardest part is picking out the right drone notes arond the melody to make it sound more full.

On an electric: basically anything by System Of A Down (Drop C for purists, Drop D if you're lazy) anything by Nirvana (well, nearly everything; most of the "Unplugged" stuff sounds vastly better acoustically anyway) Smashing Pumpkins or Pantera. Simple yet heavy as shit.

I love most metal and prog., but some of those arrangements are complex as hell. There's nothing like chugging away on a simple yet effective riff.

Last edited by Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica; 02/09/12 12:32 AM.

(cough.)
Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #633858
02/08/12 08:42 PM
02/08/12 08:42 PM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
After a decade or so of playing, Im yet to learn anything beyond the intro and opening chords of Stairway To Heaven. Blasphemy, I know. But for a song that supposed to be a staple of every guitarist, Ive actually only met one guy who could play it note for note all the way through. He thought he was Jimmy Page. No seriously. that guy was a little...disturbed. Great guitarist though.

Mashing out some classic Beatles and Elvis is always a hit. And there's so many songs (even electro-pop) that can be stripped down to a basic underlying chord prog. And bouncing around the Blues scales can always make you sound vastly more proficient then you actually are wink .

Anyway, sorry for the double post. Hope to hear from some other guitarists.

(cough.)
Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #633860
02/08/12 08:57 PM
02/08/12 08:57 PM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
I find that easier to play on my electric acoustic. I recently just bought an ovation electric acoustic off a friend of mind and play on that a lot. I practiced finger-picking a lot while in S. Florida at an inpatient facility while battling my addiction to opiates.

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #633868
02/08/12 09:46 PM
02/08/12 09:46 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
MMDeM, Interesting topic. I think we've danced around it ...but I play a 1973 Martin D-35 that I bought slightly used back in 1976. Since then I "electrified" it with a Fishman Thinline pick-up which I play through a Behringer Acoustic ACX 1000 amp. Sweet sounds. But since I’m an old folkie from the 60s-70s, my ole standard is “City of New Orleans”, written by Steve Goodman, made famous by Arlo Guthrie. I’ll also play “America” by Paul Simon or “Mr. Bojangles” by Jerry Jeff Walker. I mix in some Jimmy Buffett, James Taylor, Neil Young and of course some Dylan. My Martin is a great friend and comfort.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: MaryCas] #633875
02/08/12 10:10 PM
02/08/12 10:10 PM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club

Neil Young - Old Man ..Great Song and also fun to cover as well.
Originally Posted By: MaryCas
MMDeM, Interesting topic. I think we've danced around it ...but I play a 1973 Martin D-35 that I bought slightly used back in 1976. Since then I "electrified" it with a Fishman Thinline pick-up which I play through a Behringer Acoustic ACX 1000 amp. Sweet sounds. But since I’m an old folkie from the 60s-70s, my ole standard is “City of New Orleans”, written by Steve Goodman, made famous by Arlo Guthrie. I’ll also play “America” by Paul Simon or “Mr. Bojangles” by Jerry Jeff Walker. I mix in some Jimmy Buffett, James Taylor, Neil Young and of course some Dylan. My Martin is a great friend and comfort.

Genovese Family."
Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #633893
02/09/12 12:08 AM
02/09/12 12:08 AM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
I have an acoustic Guild D-25, 1985 vintage, sunburst design. I love classic rock and roll, but can't really play much of it.

What I also love - and play - is classic folk and some old pop songs. Grew up with Pete Seeger, The Weavers, Theodore Bikel, Chad Mitchell Trio, The Limeliters, Josh White, Lead Belly, Harry Belafonte, and stuff like that. Lots of others too, but you get the idea.

I play a lot of Woody Guthrie, too. Also, "City of New Orleans." One of my favorites is "The Ballad of Lizzie Borden" by the Chad Mitchell Trio (a comedic song about an axe murderess!).

My "style," if one could call it that, is nothing spectacular. Mostly bass notes with my thumb and a one-finger scratch for the rest. Occasionally, I'll try something a little more daring, but what I do seems to work for these types of songs. I don't use a pick - I just never seemed to be able to get the hang of it, but I still try sometimes in private.

I do like getting together with people who are much better than me and playing - I let them play all the nice stuff like leads and solos, while I concentrate on the rhythm part.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #633955
02/09/12 12:48 PM
02/09/12 12:48 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Wish i could play the guitar. I have a left handed acoustic but i've never got around learning it..

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: DE NIRO] #633996
02/09/12 07:12 PM
02/09/12 07:12 PM
Frosty Offline
BANNED
Frosty  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
Wish i could play the guitar. I have a left handed acoustic but i've never got around learning it..
You have that right my friend, I have made alot of good deals. On some truly sweet guitars . I might have posted had one like Willy's but didn't play it as much.

Spent some time up in Montana , got to even build up the finger tips there and then had some stuff.

Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: Signor Vitelli] #633998
02/09/12 07:20 PM
02/09/12 07:20 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
I don't use a pick - I just never seemed to be able to get the hang of it, but I still try sometimes in private.

What you pick in private should stay in private! sick

Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: SC] #634000
02/09/12 07:23 PM
02/09/12 07:23 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Originally Posted By: SC
I don't use a pick - I just never seemed to be able to get the hang of it, but I still try sometimes in private.

lol lol lol

I don't play a guitar and no nothing so my contribution to this thread is my laughter at that remark.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #634005
02/09/12 08:08 PM
02/09/12 08:08 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
"Down Payment Blues" but that was literally a lifetime ago I'm sorry to say and it was done by ear. I keep meaning to take lessons.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: Lilo] #634038
02/09/12 11:14 PM
02/09/12 11:14 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I can barely play, but I like playing "Lyin' Eyes" by Eagles, "Stairway," "Wild Horses," and "Girl" and "In My Life."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: Turnbull] #634041
02/09/12 11:39 PM
02/09/12 11:39 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
I used to play guitar. I started playing in the eighth-grade, and played pretty regularly up until about 7 years ago when I broke my left wrist. I can still play, but it doesn't come as easy due to the arthritis and reduced range of motion in my fretting hand.

During the rehabilitation process, I started playing piano, and I have played almost every day since the day I started. Knowing how to play guitar made the transition to keys pretty easy.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: SC] #634044
02/10/12 01:27 AM
02/10/12 01:27 AM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
SC, have you ever tried sitting on your hands till they go numb? SO if you decide to jerk off, it feels like a stranger doing it!

Last edited by DickNose_Moltasanti; 02/10/12 01:27 AM.

Genovese Family."
Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: XDCX] #634045
02/10/12 01:32 AM
02/10/12 01:32 AM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Don't you play video games all day? That must of been devastating breaking your wrist, what the hell did you do all day?
Originally Posted By: XDCX
I used to play guitar. I started playing in the eighth-grade, and played pretty regularly up until about 7 years ago when I broke my left wrist. I can still play, but it doesn't come as easy due to the arthritis and reduced range of motion in my fretting hand.

During the rehabilitation process, I started playing piano, and I have played almost every day since the day I started. Knowing how to play guitar made the transition to keys pretty easy.

Genovese Family."
Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #634046
02/10/12 01:36 AM
02/10/12 01:36 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

I only picked up guitar in high school cuz I was friends with a band -- was probably 17 when I got my '78 Les Paul Pro (for like $450; add a grand to that now), also one of the loves of my life I will never part with until I hit my grave!

I know many chords, but not many songs. I can do simple blues leads, but nothing fancy. In fact, I used to write my own (lame) songs simply because I didn't learn any covers all the way through.

Anyway, to answer the question... I like playing Rush's Tom Sawyer (also on bass). On acoustic I like Hank Williams (Sr!). Electric, any 80's riffs and songs I remember (REO comes to mind).

And while I love basic/simple, I also love loud/raunchy crunching metal (Anthrax, for instance). It seems easier to sound like a rock star when you have tons of distortion and compression lol.

I don't hardly play anything these days, but now and then it's a pleasure pretending through my old PODxt. cool

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: J Geoff] #634070
02/10/12 10:55 AM
02/10/12 10:55 AM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
I forgot to mention, as a nod to Mickey_Meatballs and other friends Down Under, that two songs I like to play are Australian:

"And When They Dance" by Roy Abbott (taught to me by a friend here in Brooklyn who learned it in Australia from Danny Spooner). There's an excellent live version on YouTube by the group Wongawilli - click here. Also a favorite is "Aussie Barbecue" by Eric Bogle (a really funny song - and, no, I don't play "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda" because I wouldn't be able to get through the thing without crying).

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #634079
02/10/12 12:02 PM
02/10/12 12:02 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti
SC, have you ever tried sitting on your hands till they go numb? SO if you decide to jerk off, it feels like a stranger doing it!

Ahhh, another addition to my bucket list. wink

Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #634083
02/10/12 01:33 PM
02/10/12 01:33 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York

I'm sure someone named DickNose knows what he's talking about when it comes to jerking off, but this joke is getting old already. Get some new material.

Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: SC] #634089
02/10/12 02:10 PM
02/10/12 02:10 PM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club

LOL ALRIGHT BOSS

I'm sure someone named DickNose knows what he's talking about when it comes to jerking off, but this joke is getting old already. Get some new material.

Genovese Family."
Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #634133
02/10/12 09:04 PM
02/10/12 09:04 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Don't you play video games all day? That must of been devastating breaking your wrist, what the hell did you do all day?

I wish I had the time to play video games even a QUARTER of the day! lol

Breaking my wrist wasn't that big of a deal until I found out I couldn't play guitar like I used to. As I said, I can still play, it just takes more effort now.

When I did play on a more regular basis, my favorite style of music was of the 50's era, bluesy/rock n' roll/Chuck Berry style. I play a similar style on the piano. Jerry Lee Lewis is one of my favorite pianists.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #634158
02/11/12 02:29 AM
02/11/12 02:29 AM
massachusetts
scarfacetm Offline
Underboss
scarfacetm  Offline
Underboss
massachusetts
I play mostly Nirvana or other 90s rocjk, and some more recent stuff too, i'm not too picky on it though.

"Death is the answer to all problems. No man, no problem."

"I'd rather be hated for who i am, than loved for who i am not"
Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: Signor Vitelli] #634664
02/13/12 02:03 AM
02/13/12 02:03 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
I thought there'd be a few responses to this post, seeing as there's often guitar talk on the site. A little embarrasing though...every one seems to have such nice guitars, and Im currently playing on a shitty Epiphone Acoustic. blush

Seriously, I go through guitars like underwear. Ive played on a Fender Tele (it still hurts to think how much I sold it for frown ), a BC Rich Warlock ( \m/ ), an Ibanez RX-7, a Maton (not a Martin, a Maton; a great Aussie made line) and numerous Chinese and Korean knock offs; now Im playing on this Epipone (the poor mans Gibson) and seriously thinking its time for an upgrade.

Originally Posted By: J Geoff

was probably 17 when I got my '78 Les Paul Pro (for like $450; add a grand to that now),

Holy hell. Les Paul for $450? Best. Purchase. Ever.

I forgot to mention, as a nod to Mickey_Meatballs and other friends Down Under, that two songs I like to play are Australian:

"And When They Dance" by Roy Abbott (taught to me by a friend here in Brooklyn who learned it in Australia from Danny Spooner). There's an excellent live version on YouTube by the group Wongawilli - click here. Also a favorite is "Aussie Barbecue" by Eric Bogle (a really funny song - and, no, I don't play "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda" because I wouldn't be able to get through the thing without crying).

Signor V.

And The Band Played Walzting Matilda...classic. It almost brought a tear just thinking about it. You're a legend Signor V., I cant believe I hadn't listened to that song on so long. Im going to bump it now.

Forgot to mention in the OP, but one thing Ive really enjoyed enjoyed for a while is taking old/random hip-hop songs (some old 2pac, some newer Kanye and Kid Cudi, Santogold, etc) and figuring how to pick out the synth riffs on the guitar and singing the chorus, like "Unplugged" versions. They can sound surprisingly awesome.

...failing that, yep, there's nothing like mashing out some folk classics. To the mix, Im going to add some Johnny Cash. Love that shit, and so simple really.

Last edited by Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica; 02/13/12 02:03 AM.

(cough.)
Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #634666
02/13/12 02:10 AM
02/13/12 02:10 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica

was probably 17 when I got my '78 Les Paul Pro (for like $450; add a grand to that now),

Holy hell. Les Paul for $450? Best. Purchase. Ever.

Yeah, tell me about it. But when you're 17, that's a lot of money. But I remember being in the store, and had $600 on me. I was looking at (and loving) the stereo Rick (John Lennon style), but that would've cost me all of my $600. Instead, I got the Paul w/ a Peavy practice amp (I still use) plus an effects pedal and a cord. cool No regrets!

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #634667
02/13/12 02:20 AM
02/13/12 02:20 AM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Anyone ever sell one of there guitars to buy some hammer LOL

Genovese Family."
Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #634668
02/13/12 02:23 AM
02/13/12 02:23 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
...taking old/random hip-hop songs (some old 2pac, some newer Kanye and Kid Cudi, Santogold, etc) and figuring how to pick out the synth riffs...

Did you ever notice that you can hum/whistle circus music (here, 0:11-0:18) over any rap song (in time) and it'll fit? It's never failed yet. Probably because it's almost atonal... try it!

Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #634669
02/13/12 02:24 AM
02/13/12 02:24 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

U Can't Touch This. tongue

Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: J Geoff] #634670
02/13/12 02:38 AM
02/13/12 02:38 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia

Story of my life mofo.

...taking old/random hip-hop songs (some old 2pac, some newer Kanye and Kid Cudi, Santogold, etc) and figuring how to pick out the synth riffs...

Did you ever notice that you can hum/whistle circus music (here, 0:11-0:18) over any rap song (in time) and it'll fit? It's never failed yet. Probably because it's almost atonal... try it!

Holy hell. I just tried that. You're right. whistle

(cough.)
Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #634672
02/13/12 02:47 AM
02/13/12 02:47 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

Story of my life mofo.

If you're not talking about MC, then please explain... cuz according to urban dictionary, you're talking about private parts of the male variety. Not that there's anything wrong with that. lol

Re: Favourite Songs To Play On Guitar? [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #634673
02/13/12 02:51 AM
02/13/12 02:51 AM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Were using coded language

Last edited by DickNose_Moltasanti; 02/13/12 03:09 AM.

Genovese Family."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull