GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (2 invisible), 296 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,918
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,332
Posts1,058,802
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra #630984
01/22/12 11:23 AM
01/22/12 11:23 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I received a PM from one of the members here that basically asked me if and why the Mob is different than it was over 25 -30+ years ago. After replying to his PM i felt that his question was a good one that deserved to be posted and discussed on the boards. So without revealing who that member is who sent me the PM ( I'll leave it up to him to reveal himself in this topic if he chooses to do so) I am posting my reply to him :

Please keep in mind when writing my feelings about the mob, the Mafia and La Cosa Nostra that I in no way endorse, support, admire or hold in high esteem these people because they are really nothing more than punks, murderers, leaches and most of all cowards. Obviously by being a member of these boards I do have an interest in mob history as it has had a significant influence in the many laws that have been implemented in this country and therefore has infamously made it's place in part of history over the last century.

Is the mob anything like it was 25 - 30+ years ago? Of course not. Things seemed to change in the early 80's as the young turks began to "get away" from and disrespect the traditional mob cardinal rules that were put into place by La Cosa Nostra. The unwritten "honor" among thieves rules that were adhered to over the decades slowly began to erode because the young guns did not want to "work their way' up the ranks and instead began to take what they thought was the easy way up by disrespecting their bosses, flashing their wealth in the streets trying to impress those around them and acting like tough guys who were "all powerful" rolleyes They wanted those around them to KNOW that they were connected and / or mobbed up. And in doing so they brought unneeded attention to the mob and the families. That unneeded attention gave the authorities the tools to eventually go after the mob. And because the authorities began to round up and build cases against these mobsters, it caused these flashy punks to begin to make deals and rat....which really caused the toppling of what was once a solid foundation for La Cosa Nostra.

Most, not all, but most of the "old timers" (again they like the young punks were nothing more than murdering cowards) acted differently. They did NOT seek outside attention. They remained humble in the public eye, made themselves appear as though they were church going family men ( can you spell Carlo Gambino? ). They frowned upon any kind of flashiness because they knew that it would only bring unneeded attention to this thing of theirs.

Of course their were the exceptions throughout the decaades.....Bugsy Siegel, Joe Colombo and John Gotti to name a few. But the "smart" mobsters, the real powerful people around them frowned upon and even warned these guys about their flashiness and attention seeking actions. Meyer Lansky and Charlie Lucky constantly warned Siegel. Carlo Gambino despised Joe Colombo's quest to bring equality to the Italian American community. Joe Armone and Neil Dellacroce continually scolded Gotti for his flashiness.

In my opinion things for the Mafia began to crack right after the death of Carlo Gambino. That crack began to grow even bigger with the death of Neil Dellacroce...and it really began to crumble when John Gotti came to power and basically challenged the federal government to try get him.

Of course Sammy Gravano was, in my opinion, the final wrecking ball that knocked La Cosa Nostra completely to the ground.

And in keeping with my feelings that it all began in the early 80's, there is no doubt that U.S Attorney Rudy Giuliani built the foundation that eventually dealt a striking blow to the mob because of his willingness to go after the mob and his ability to utilize the RICO statute in doing so.

So to simply answer the original question presented to me i a PM of "Is the mob anything like it was 25 - 30+ years ago?" In my opinion it is not due to the reasons that I stated above.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: Don Cardi] #631000
01/22/12 02:22 PM
01/22/12 02:22 PM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Good post and I fully agree with what you say.

I think that the first seeds that led to the Mafia decline was sown when its members started to value money over honor, loyalty and total obedience. Money corrupted the original values and rules that the Mafia was built upon.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in Sicily, in the past, for the ordinary man, there was no other way to achieve status than by presenting himself as a most honorable man, rigorous, and just. This was the bolts in the ordinary Sicilian man and the worst insult to these men was to claim he was anything but just that.
Money was secondary and only a byproduct of power. When the Mafia adopted the American lifestyle it turned into an organization with a money first mentality at the expense of solid foundation of rules and values that once made it so strong.

A decreasing stream of potential recrutits already in the late 1960s and 1970s resulted in poor leadership in the 1980s and further. And the government´s fight against the Mafia with laws like RICO has proven very successful.
The last 20 years or so, the fight against the Mafia has brought numerous of turncoats, many upper echelon mobsters who had devastating testemonies to give.
And perhaps most importantly, tha Mafia today totally lacks political protection that kept them powerful in the past.

I also would like to mention the non existent Commission that for more than 50 years was the glue that held it all together.
The smaller Families outside of New York had all representatives on the Commission. When the Commission was no longer in function, it contributed vastly to their downfall.

Last edited by HairyKnuckles; 01/22/12 02:26 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: HairyKnuckles] #631002
01/22/12 02:33 PM
01/22/12 02:33 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles

I think that the first seeds that led to the Mafia decline was sown when its members started to value money over honor, loyalty and total obedience. Money corrupted the original values and rules that the Mafia was built upon.

I think there never was any honor in the mafia. Even the "traditionalist" mafiosi who opposed themselves to Totò Riina's Corleonesi didn't hesitate to kill women and children. Also, drugs have started to be sold much time before the "new" mafia came to power.

Last edited by Dwalin2011; 01/22/12 02:36 PM.

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: HairyKnuckles] #631003
01/22/12 02:34 PM
01/22/12 02:34 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Great post, DC. I just want to add that law enforcement should get its due as well. If the RICO Act and today's technology were around fifty years ago, things would have been a lot different.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: Dwalin2011] #631006
01/22/12 02:41 PM
01/22/12 02:41 PM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Originally Posted By: Dwalin2011

I think that the first seeds that led to the Mafia decline was sown when its members started to value money over honor, loyalty and total obedience. Money corrupted the original

I think there never was any honor in the mafia. Even the "traditionalist" mafiosi who opposed themselves to Totò Riina's Corleonesi didn't hesitate to kill women and children. Also, drugs have started to be sold much time before the "new" mafia came to power.

Well, according to our standards killing a woman or a child is an awful crime. But let´s not forget the mentality of these men. They killed not because of cruelty but mostly because of pragmatical reasons. In their set of minds, nobody is immune from punishment.

[Linked Image]
Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: HairyKnuckles] #631008
01/22/12 02:46 PM
01/22/12 02:46 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss

I think that the first seeds that led to the Mafia decline was sown when its members started to value money over honor, loyalty and total obedience. Money corrupted the original

Well, according to our standards killing a woman or a child is an awful crime. But let´s not forget the mentality of these men. They killed not because of cruelty but mostly because of pragmatical reasons. In their set of minds, nobody is immune from punishment.

Yes, but the children were mostly killed not because they had actually done something, but because they had seen something they shouldn't have or because the murderers wanted to hurt their relatives through their deaths. It's not like they punished them for something they had actually done. So, in my opinion, this is dishonorable even according to medieval standards.

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: pizzaboy] #631009
01/22/12 02:50 PM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
I forget where I read it or heard it maybe on here thought it was interesting that the feds weren't smart enough to effectively use the rico law till about 10 or 15 years later.

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Great post, DC. I just want to add that law enforcement should get its due as well. If the RICO Act and today's technology were around fifty years ago, things would have been a lot different.

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: Dwalin2011] #631010
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Yes, but the children were mostly killed not because they had actually done something, but because they had seen something they shouldn't have or because the murderers wanted to hurt their relatives through their deaths. It's not like they punished them for something they had actually done. So, in my opinion, this is dishonorable even according to medieval standards.

The male children are killed for fear that some day they'll be men and they'll want vengeance. But you're right, there's no honor is killing a child. Ever.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: pizzaboy] #631011
01/22/12 02:53 PM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Hey Pizzaboy I'm associated with "The Outfit" and thats not how things work!- DicknoseVET

The male children are killed for fear that some day they'll be men and they'll want vengeance. But you're right, there's no honor is killing a child. Ever.

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #631012
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti
I forget where I read it or heard it maybe on here thought it was interesting that the feds weren't smart enough to effectively use the rico law till about 10 or 15 years later.

The law went into effect in 1970, but wasn't used properly until the Commission Trial of 1986. After Giuliani and Blakey showed everyone how to use it effectively, it was the beginning of the end.

Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: Don Cardi] #631013
01/22/12 02:54 PM
01/22/12 02:54 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
In my opinion things for the Mafia began to crack right after the death of Carlo Gambino.

I agree, I think the "real" decline started in the late 70s. Also, after the French Connection was busted, the mob became even more involved in the distribution of narcotics, which brought more attention of law enforcement. The same happened with the mob's activities in Las Vegas in the late 1970s. I think the downfall of the Cleveland syndicate was a symbolic starting point for the decline of the American Mafia.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #631014
01/22/12 02:55 PM
01/22/12 02:55 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti
Hey Pizzaboy I'm associated with "The Outfit" and thats not how things work!- DicknoseVET

Stop, Dicknose. You might be a wiseass, but that guy is outright fucking crazy tongue grin.

Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: Dwalin2011] #631016
01/22/12 02:59 PM
01/22/12 02:59 PM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Dawlin, I agree with you. There´s no honor in killing innocent women and children.
But this is the mind set of the Sicilian mafioso. And they still consider themselves as men of honor even after comitting such terrible crimes. They follow their rules. Not our rules. The follow their laws. Not our laws.

[Linked Image]
Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: Sonny_Black] #631017
01/22/12 03:00 PM
01/22/12 03:00 PM
pittsburgh pa
P
phatmatress Offline
Underboss
phatmatress  Offline
P
Underboss
pittsburgh pa
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
In my opinion things for the Mafia began to crack right after the death of Carlo Gambino.

I agree, I think the "real" decline started in the late 70s. Also, after the French Connection was busted, the mob became even more involved in the distribution of narcotics, which brought more attention of law enforcement. The same happened with the mob's activities in Las Vegas in the late 1970s. I think the downfall of the Cleveland syndicate was a symbolic starting point for the decline of the American Mafia.
i think so too...on the cleveland family...they were really the first family to start to crumble...the whole danny green thing, and with lonardo .....the first true underboss to flip...not sammy the bull.

I hate Dicknoses!!!!!!
Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: Don Cardi] #631018
01/22/12 03:01 PM
01/22/12 03:01 PM
Newcastle Upon Tyne
short841 Offline
Underboss
short841  Offline
Underboss
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I thought the American costa nostra does not kill innocent people, family members and people in law enforcement?

"You shouldn’t be embarrassed by your wealth. This contempt for money is another trick by the rich to keep the poor without it" - Michael Corleone

"You don't have to count the dead to understand the business of the Camorra" Gomorrah, Roberto Saviano
Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: short841] #631019
01/22/12 03:03 PM
01/22/12 03:03 PM
Balkans
Strax Offline
Underboss
Strax  Offline
Underboss
Balkans
Originally Posted By: short841
I thought the American costa nostra does not kill innocent people, family members and people in law enforcement?

It did happened a few times.Maybe more than just a few times but i know only for few cases.

"A fish with his mouth closed never get's caught"
Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: Strax] #631020
01/22/12 03:08 PM
01/22/12 03:08 PM
Newcastle Upon Tyne
short841 Offline
Underboss
short841  Offline
Underboss
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Like for example?

"You shouldn’t be embarrassed by your wealth. This contempt for money is another trick by the rich to keep the poor without it" - Michael Corleone

"You don't have to count the dead to understand the business of the Camorra" Gomorrah, Roberto Saviano
Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: short841] #631021
01/22/12 03:09 PM
01/22/12 03:09 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Like for example?

Pete Chiodo's sister and the "wrong" Nicky Guido to name just a couple.

Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: short841] #631022
01/22/12 03:11 PM
01/22/12 03:11 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss

I have never been to the USA, but from what I read it does indeed seem the American mafia is more careful in such matters than the Italian one. Still, there were some cases like “Gaspipe” Casso ordering hits on relatives of suspected informants, Carmine Persico ordering a hit on the prosecutor Aronwald and mistakenly killing his father or Salvatore Avellino ordering a hit on the businessman Kubecka who opposed himself to the mafia and provided evidence for the trials.

Last edited by Dwalin2011; 01/22/12 03:12 PM.

Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: pizzaboy] #631023
01/22/12 03:14 PM
Newcastle Upon Tyne
short841 Offline
Underboss
short841  Offline
Underboss
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Oh uh I remember. I read the gaspipe book and uh that was terrible!

Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: Don Cardi] #631024
Balkans
Strax Offline
Underboss
Strax  Offline
Underboss
Balkans

Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: Dwalin2011] #631025
01/22/12 03:16 PM
01/22/12 03:16 PM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)

I have never been to the USA, but from what I read it does indeed seem the American mafia is more careful in such matters than the Italian one. Still, there were some cases like “Gaspipe” Casso ordering hits on relatives of suspected informants, Carmine Persico ordering a hit on the prosecutor Aronwald and mistakenly killing his father or Salvatore Avellino ordering a hit on the businessman Kubecka who opposed himself to the mafia and provided evidence for the trials.

Yes. And there was a shootout in the Ridgewood section of Queens where a police officer where shot to detah. Genovese member Fritzy Giovanelli was tried for that but freed.
But you are correct. The American Mafia is generally much different when it comes to these kind of things than the Sicilian Mafia.

[Linked Image]
Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: Don Cardi] #631027
01/22/12 03:19 PM
Balkans
Strax Offline
Underboss
Strax  Offline
Underboss
Balkans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx8eGXOllsU

Whole this doc is about rules and how they respect/disrespect them them today.

Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: HairyKnuckles] #631028
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Genovese member Fritzy Giovanelli was tried for that but freed.

How they botched that prosecution---twice---is beyond me. That poor dead cop's family can blame his useless partner for that entire mess.

Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: pizzaboy] #631029
01/22/12 03:21 PM
01/22/12 03:21 PM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Genovese member Fritzy Giovanelli was tried for that but freed.

How they botched that prosecution---twice---is beyond me. That poor dead cop's family can blame his useless partner for that entire mess.

Yes, it´s beyond me too.

[Linked Image]
Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: HairyKnuckles] #631034
01/22/12 03:30 PM
01/22/12 03:30 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
In my opinion, the most clamorous case of the mafia attacking the law enforcement in America is the case of Rosario Borgio in Akron, Ohio, who launched a terroristic campaign against the police in 1918 after he wasn't able to buy them for some reason (very strange considering the fact he managed to buy local politicians).

Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: Strax] #631060
01/22/12 06:51 PM
01/22/12 06:51 PM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Originally Posted By: Strax

Very good find, Strax. I haven´t seen this before. smile
Does anyone know who this "Tony" (ex Bonanno soldier) is?

[Linked Image]
Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: HairyKnuckles] #631067
01/22/12 07:19 PM
01/22/12 07:19 PM
Balkans
Strax Offline
Underboss
Strax  Offline
Underboss
Balkans
Originally Posted By: Strax

Very good find, Strax. I haven´t seen this before. smile
Does anyone know who this "Tony" (ex Bonanno soldier) is?

The one they tried to kill,because he didnt want to "kick up" and stealing ?

Last edited by Strax; 01/22/12 07:19 PM.

Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: Don Cardi] #631069
01/22/12 07:26 PM
01/22/12 07:26 PM
Balkans
Strax Offline
Underboss
Strax  Offline
Underboss
Balkans
We know that doc is from 2007-2009 that period in the doc they say mafia earns 100 billions $,what u think is it true ?

"In 2002 the FBI estimated that the Mafia earns $50–$90 billion a year"

Re: The Downfall Of La Cosa Nostra [Re: Don Cardi] #631083
01/22/12 10:13 PM
01/22/12 10:13 PM
T
tiger84 Offline
Capo
tiger84  Offline
T
Capo
I also want to know who tony is.He sounds interesting.He didnt want to kick up lol

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull