GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Lou_Para, 1 invisible), 75 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,657
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,183
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,389
Posts1,059,898
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Who knew Fredo would be killed? *DELETED* #40208
08/10/06 07:31 AM
08/10/06 07:31 AM
long beach, ny
I
I'M GERMAN-IRISH Offline OP
*DELETED*
I'M GERMAN-IRISH  Offline OP
I
*DELETED*
long beach, ny
Post deleted by I'M GERMAN-IRISH

Re: Who knew Fredo would be killed? #40209
08/10/06 09:32 AM
08/10/06 09:32 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Actually, Connie mentions Fredo to Michael in GIII and refers to his "drowning." Certainly, knowing Michael, she had to have known that he was murdered. In GIII Connie knew that Michael was struggling with his past. She also was cold, cunning and duplicitous unlike her character in the earlier films.

I don't believe Tom had any prior knowledge of Fredo's murder although I don't think he'd be shocked by it. He was pretty calm when Tessio, who was close to the family, was taken to his death before his eyes. Granted, Fredo is family and his death would hit closer to home. Nonetheless, Tom, who, I agree, was more compassionate than Michael, probably wasn't surprised, knowing that Fredo betrayed the family.

Re: Who knew Fredo would be killed? #40210
08/10/06 11:11 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Proibably only Michel and Neri knew ahead of time, but COnnie figured it out as did Anthony and Kay.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Who knew Fredo would be killed? #40211
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Connie had no prior knowledge that Fredo was going to be killed. It was she who begged Michael to forgive Fredo. It's possible--even likely--that Connie figured out later that Michael had Fredo killed. Some people here believe that the scene in III where she said he "drowned" actually was a veiled way of Connie telling Michael that she knew he had Fredo killed--and that she forgave Michael.

Michael almost certainly didn't tell Tom (or anyone other than Neri) that he was going to whack Fredo. But Tom probably would have figured that Fredo was a dead man from the moment Michael returned from Havana. He saw what happened to Carlo. In fact, in the novel, he explains to Kay that a traitor can never be forgiven because he will be a danger to the family forever. He argued against Michael killing Roth and the Rosatos because they were "on the run"--not a danger to Michael anymore, to Tom's way of thinking.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Who knew Fredo would be killed? #40212
08/10/06 11:41 AM
08/10/06 11:41 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
This brings up a question I've thought about.

What would have been Vito's reaction to the killing of Fredo? Michael would have waited until Vito died before killing Fredo in all likelihood.

But if Vito were living and aware of the Tahoe attack and Fredo's involvement with Johnny Ola, could he have approved of Michael's actions?

I think Michael's decision to kill Fredo would have horrified Vito despite Fredo's betrayal. Sonny, I think, would have pulled the trigger himself.

Re: Who knew Fredo would be killed? #40213
08/10/06 11:42 AM
08/10/06 11:42 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I dont think Vito would kill one of his own sons.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Who knew Fredo would be killed? #40214
08/10/06 12:20 PM
08/10/06 12:20 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
This question's come up before. I think the general consensus is that Vito wouldn't have ordered Fredo's death. Vito knew that Carlo was complicit in Sonny's assassination, but apparently he couldn't bring himself to order the death of his daughter's husband and the father of his grandchildren. Michael likely would have waited for Vito to die, just as he waited for his mother to die. Quite a few people here think that Sonny would have beaten the s**t out of Fredo, but not killed him.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Who knew Fredo would be killed? #40215
08/10/06 01:00 PM
08/10/06 01:00 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
There is no way that Vito or Sonny would've ordered Fredo's death. They wouldn't have been able to do it. Witness Sonny's utterance to Carlo, Touch my sister again and I'll kill ya (one of DC's favorite lines, btw). If he had any real intention of murdering Carlo, he would never have uttered that phrase in front of witnesses. Vito and Sonny were more "old school" and I don't think that they could've ordered the death of their son or brother.

Of course, if Sonny and Vito were alive, then Michael may not have been the Don, but that's a whole 'nother nut to crack.

And of course, Fredo knew that he was going to be murdered. tongue

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Who knew Fredo would be killed? #40216
08/10/06 01:21 PM
08/10/06 01:21 PM
Chicago
BarrytheBull Offline
Made Member
BarrytheBull  Offline
Made Member
Chicago
I agree that only Michael and Al knew about wacking Freddy....I also agree the Michael would not have had Fredo killed when Don Vito was around, like he said in GF2, "I don't want anything to happen to him while my mother is still alive." I also don't think Fredo knew he was going to get wacked, he was an idiot, he was not "smaht" like he thought he was.....otherwise he would have been suspicious of going out on a boat, alone, with Al Neri.....if he was aware that Michael would want him dead, he would have not gone out on that boat........or would he? Maybe he knew it was going to happen sooner or later, and he was tired of being paranoid about it, and just got it over with.....hmmmm??

The Bull!!!

"...you straightened my brother out??"

"Give him a living, but never discuss the family business in front of him."
Re: Who knew Fredo would be killed? #40217
08/11/06 03:05 PM
08/11/06 03:05 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
And of course, Fredo knew that he was going to be murdered. tongue
Of course he knew. He knew that his brother Mike had his enemies killed. Fredo became a enemy of Mike. Just because he was his brother doesn't give him a pass.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Who knew Fredo would be killed? #40219
08/12/06 06:13 PM
08/12/06 06:13 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally posted by I'M GERMAN-IRISH:
Originally posted by BarrytheBull:
I also don't think Fredo knew he was going to get wacked, he was an idiot, he was not [b]"smaht"

I just realized that when Fredo says "I'm smaht!" that John Cazale's native Boston accent must have slipped through. [/b]
Actually, and I may be splitting hairs, as I remember from living in Boston for three years, the natives would pronounce it more like "smat", instead of "smaht." Maybe I just hung with the wrong people up there. smile

Re: Who knew Fredo would be killed? #40220
08/12/06 07:00 PM
08/12/06 07:00 PM
Giuseppe Rotolo Offline
Associate
Giuseppe Rotolo  Offline
Associate
In some ways, Michael was the perfect don. Although Vito perfected the art and gave each seperate quality to his sons, Michael was the ruthless one. Which counts in Organized Crime.

Vito wouldn't have ordered Fredo to be killed, he was too attached to his family. Michael did what had to be done without remorse, he could seperate himself from anything and regard it as "just business." His ruthless streak, cunning and coolness made him the best choice out of them all for a Don.

And Al Neri is wicked, he's done all of the best hits for Michael, Barzini, The Vatican Bank Cardinal, Fredo. He's a great UB.

"Leave the gun. Take the canoli."
Re: Who knew Fredo would be killed? #40221
08/13/06 09:13 PM
08/13/06 09:13 PM
Warwick, NY
J
jason_els Offline
Associate
jason_els  Offline
J
Associate
Warwick, NY
Only Michael and Al knew.

Fredo thought he was forgiven by Michael as organized by Connie. Fredo ran from Michael before and he would have run again if he didn't really think he was forgiven. Tom would never have gone along with it had he known, but I think he had his suspicions when he saw Michael getting paranoid. Tom, after all, was very aware of how important family was to Vito as he was taken in and loved by Vito as a son. Tom was never sure of Michael until after the attempt on Michael's life, perhaps it was the age difference, but definitely Sonny didn't see Tom as a brother as shown by their fight after Vito's shooting. Tom even has to defend himself, "I was as much of a son to him..."

Vincent and Mary talk about Fredo's death when she asks Vincnet if she thinks her father had Fredo killed. Obviously there was at least a rumor of it and that rumor had to come from somewhere, likely Kay as she tells Michael, "Tony knows you killed Fredo." Connie would have suspected and then, later, realized the truth, resolving herself to Michael being strong for the family. Look at the shot, Connie and Michael are seated opposite each other as equals. Michael talks about his attempts to go straight and his regrets about the money and the killings and tells her about making his confession. Right after Connie says:

Michael, you know, sometimes I think of poor Fredo, drowned. It was God's will. It was a terrible accident. But it's finished.
That line would never have been said if she hadn't known given the context of the preceding conversation. Talia Shire's delivery says as much. She speaks with understanding and compassion, then tells Michael how much she loves him.

Fredo's death was one of those unique things that exist in families: open secrets. It killed Michael in the end. In becoming strong Michael became cold. Unlike Vito, he couldn't separate his family from his business and lost everything except the money in the end.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull