GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 131 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,461
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,873
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,321
Posts1,058,551
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marine Video in Afghanistan #629254
01/13/12 06:28 AM
01/13/12 06:28 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI

Marine Video

Quote:
WASHINGTON, Jan 12 (Reuters) - The U.S. Marines have identified the unit whose forces are suspected of being behind a video appearing to show them urinating on the bodies of dead Taliban in Afghanistan, a Marine officer told Reuters on Thursday.

WARNING: GRAPHIC FOOTAGE BELOW

The officer, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the Marines in question were believed to be from the 3rd Battallion, 2nd Marines, which is based out of Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.

A Veteran's response

Quote:
There are no words to express my disgust at the video making the rounds today, of U.S. Marines apparently urinating on the dead bodies of the Taliban. As an Iraq War veteran who works with Iraq and Afghanistan veterans every day, I can truthfully say that the Marines in the video have undermined everything that I and those who served with me tried to do.

That's why I'm just as disgusted by right wingers like Pamela Gellar, who said, "I love these Marines" and joked, "Perhaps this is the infidel interpretation of the Islamic ritual of washing and preparing the body for burial."

Comments like these not only go against everything our military stands for, but only serve to put our troops on the ground in increased danger. It just shows that some on the right still just don't get it when it comes to our mission in Afghanistan.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Marine Video in Afghanistan [Re: Lilo] #629275
01/13/12 12:35 PM
01/13/12 12:35 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
It's a horrible thing, and I completely disapprove of treating the dead like that, no matter who they are. But does anyone really think this hasn't happened in other wars that we've been involved in?

If you think there wasn't a single soldier from the "Greatest Generation" that took a piss on a dead German or Asian, I'd say you're probably being naive. If there was an Internet seventy years ago, some bleeding heart would have posted a picture of an American soldier pissing on some scumbag Nazi. I guarantee it.

I hate the act they committed, but I have a very hard time hating the very people who are fighing for the country that I live in, whether I agree with the war or not (and I don't).

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Marine Video in Afghanistan [Re: pizzaboy] #629276
01/13/12 12:43 PM
01/13/12 12:43 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
It's a horrible thing, and I completely disapprove of treating the dead like that, no matter who they are. But does anyone really think this hasn't happened in other wars that we've been involved in?

If you think there wasn't a single soldier from the "Greatest Generation" that took a piss on a dead German or Asian, I'd say you're probably being naive. If there was an Internet seventy years ago, some bleeding heart would have posted a picture of an American soldier pissing on some scumbag Nazi. I guarantee it.

I hate the act they committed, but I have a very hard time hating the very people who are fighing for the country that I live in, whether I agree with the war or not (and I don't).

PB, it's the unadulterated stupidity of it. I never came close to even wanting to do anything like that.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Marine Video in Afghanistan [Re: Lilo] #629280
01/13/12 12:47 PM
01/13/12 12:47 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
What bothers me most is that not just somebody decided to video tape this, but that whole group knew this was being taped...and didn't seem to mind at all.

Certainly in mood and group action, they're acting on the level of frat boys making a video of themselves chugging booze or smashing mailboxes or whatever stupid benign shit that stupid people do. The sort of tapes they would probably haul out some rainy day in the future to laugh the piss out of themselves.

Which begs the question: If this tape had never leaked or gone viral, would these guys have been replaying this tape at home in the future years later? Laughing at putting that final golden shine to that dead asshole you took out?

Re: Marine Video in Afghanistan [Re: olivant] #629281
01/13/12 12:48 PM
01/13/12 12:48 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I agree 100 percent, Oli. I'm just saying that I'd bet it happened in previous wars.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Marine Video in Afghanistan [Re: pizzaboy] #629283
01/13/12 12:58 PM
01/13/12 12:58 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Of course we don't like to speak ill of our troops and I agree it's probably happened in the past and this by no means a first time. We can speculate that with what out troops have gone thru and what it might do to them emotionally may play into it, and yet it is still disturbing and wrong. frown

People need to realize in today's world almost anything can be filmed/photographed (obviously)more than ever before. Plus, it does little for our relationship with foreign countries and is just wrong. What IF a picture came to light of another country doing likewise to dead American soldiers? That would be devastating.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Marine Video in Afghanistan [Re: Lilo] #629300
01/13/12 01:55 PM
01/13/12 01:55 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
The reason we're so disgusted is that we're convinced we're "the good guys". We want to believe, somehow, that we're better.

However, war is war. It's us vs. them. The purpose of war is to destroy the enemy. You don't keep your white hat too clean when you're doing that.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Marine Video in Afghanistan [Re: Sicilian Babe] #629306
01/13/12 02:07 PM
01/13/12 02:07 PM
Scotland UK
gemini_killer Offline
Capo
gemini_killer  Offline
Capo
Scotland UK
I don't find this funny ....you don't piss on the dead, it aint nice, that's somebodys loved one ..In all fairness what would they do if they were the ones left standing ... they would be the ones pissing on bodies.. they just wouldnt video it.. "war is hell" ... they look like they are having a pretty good time doing shit like that ..assholes

From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn. -Frank White

You say your 72, if they come back and tell me to give you a message - and if you want to defy it ... I assure you that you will never reach 73 - Joey "the clown" Lombardo
Re: Marine Video in Afghanistan [Re: Sicilian Babe] #629308
01/13/12 02:25 PM
01/13/12 02:25 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
The reason we're so disgusted is that we're convinced we're "the good guys". We want to believe, somehow, that we're better.

However, war is war. It's us vs. them. The purpose of war is to destroy the enemy. You don't keep your white hat too clean when you're doing that.

clap

Americans don't have the stomach for a war anymore. They'd rather fight by the Marquis of Queensbury Rules than the street rule of killing your enemy. You kill your enemy. Let me say that again. You KILL your enemy. You kill his family. You kill his friends. Piss on his dead body is bad? Fuck that, you stomp his guts and piss down his throat.

If you have a problem accepting that then don't send an army into another country and try to tell them how to run their own lives.

Re: Marine Video in Afghanistan [Re: pizzaboy] #629309
01/13/12 02:36 PM
01/13/12 02:36 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
I agree 100 percent, Oli. I'm just saying that I'd bet it happened in previous wars.

Of course it did. I witnessed some of it. I stopped it in my unit. In fact, there were confrontations I had with guys from other units. By the way, I wasn't the only one.

But I completely disagree with SC's and SB's statement. We existed for the Nation; the Nation did not exist for us. We were in Vietnam to carry out national policy that had certain objectives and procedures. We usually did everything we could to win over the locals. We needed them and without them our job was that much tougher. American soldiers are not trasined to abuse and I for one held myself to a higher standard.

Re: Marine Video in Afghanistan [Re: Lilo] #630758
01/20/12 06:55 PM
01/20/12 06:55 PM
Top o' the World
Fame Offline
Underboss
Fame  Offline
Underboss
Top o' the World
I've read comments to an article about this, and people brought up Bin Laden's body, saying that Obama shold've given Americans the chance to "do justice" to his body. Most of the commentators argued that americans had the right to violate his body, and that it would have brought some comfort to the families.

Do you guys think these soldiers are minority? I hear more and more opinions in support of this.

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)
Re: Marine Video in Afghanistan [Re: Fame] #630762
01/20/12 07:04 PM
01/20/12 07:04 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Fame
I've read comments to an article about this, and people brought up Bin Laden's body, saying that Obama shold've given Americans the chance to "do justice" to his body. Most of the commentators argued that americans had the right to violate his body, and that it would have brought some comfort to the families.

Do you guys think these soldiers are minority? I hear more and more opinions in support of this.

Yes. There are soldiers who might be okay with it, but who would never do it. I served with many types of guys. Remember, they are drawn from the general population and you know how diverse it is.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull