GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 250 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,445
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,848
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,509
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,312
Posts1,058,402
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
GF COMES TO TCM!! #40128
08/03/06 04:07 PM
08/03/06 04:07 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline OP
AppleOnYa  Offline OP

New Jersey
Just a quick peek in to express my utter joy that at last, The Godfather and The Godfather Part II will be shown on Turner Classic Movies.

Back-to-back, uncut and commercial free on Sunday August 6th beginning 8pm EST. Part of Robert Duvall day during Summer Under the Stars month on TCM.

As many may guess...there was just nowhere else on earth where this could be appreciated.

Something even the asshole liberals can relate to.

Best,
AppleOnYa

ps - I enjoyed the Marx Bros. last night too, during Groucho Marx day. Summer Under the Stars can be quite fun, long as they happen to be highlighting one of your favorites!!

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: GF COMES TO TCM!! #40129
08/03/06 04:15 PM
08/03/06 04:15 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
Just a quick peek in to express my utter joy that at last, The Godfather and The Godfather Part II will be shown on Turner Classic Movies.

What, no GFIII? eek confused

The libs are really gonna be pissed. tongue wink lol

So Apple, where have you been? Were you on vacation this summer?

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: GF COMES TO TCM!! #40130
08/06/06 07:33 PM
08/06/06 07:33 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Just thought I'd bump this up in case anybody still didn't know about it - or had forgotten.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: GF COMES TO TCM!! #40131
08/06/06 08:01 PM
08/06/06 08:01 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
I'm ready to watch it. YEA!! Uncut and commercial free smile

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: GF COMES TO TCM!! #40132
08/06/06 09:25 PM
08/06/06 09:25 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I just watched the scene where the Family is eating Chinese food with Rocco (in case Plaw sees this) and Sonny didn't say that Michael was going to come out of the men's room with a stick in his hand!! lol

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: GF COMES TO TCM!! #40133
08/06/06 10:11 PM
08/06/06 10:11 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
I just watched the scene where the Family is eating Chinese food with Rocco (in case Plaw sees this) and Sonny didn't say that Michael was going to come out of the men's room with a stick in his hand!! lol
Ha ha...of all the "altered/edited" scenes that one has to be the most ridiculous. lol I would have rather they left the entire Sonny comment out than to have the laughable editing in that scene. rolleyes

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: GF COMES TO TCM!! #40134
08/06/06 10:25 PM
08/06/06 10:25 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
I can't believe they showed Appolonia's boobs eek too bad they didn't add deleted scenes ohwell

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: GF COMES TO TCM!! #40135
08/06/06 10:26 PM
08/06/06 10:26 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
One word of warning about the TCM showing: both films are being shown in the "widescreen" version which, IMO, is a matter of taste. After seeing the films countless times, it is a bit disconcerting to see scenes I know (and love) so well missing part of the top and bottom of the image.

For more information, check out this link:

http://www.jgeoff.com/godfather/widescreen.html

While I am taping TCM's showings tonight, I now think I'll hold on to my worn VHS copies I taped from HBO around twenty (or so) years ago.

Edit: Actually, after looking at the above link, I have to say that there really wasn't any "extra" image at the left and right of my television screen, and the people were in the exact same proportion as on my old VHS tape. The TCM image had much less contrast and brightness, and had a distinctly yellow tinge. So, I guess it must have been the DVD that they used.

Signor V.

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

Re: GF COMES TO TCM!! #40136
08/06/06 10:52 PM
08/06/06 10:52 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
Something even the asshole liberals can relate to.
Yeah, we love you too. tongue

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: GF COMES TO TCM!! #40137
08/07/06 02:10 AM
08/07/06 02:10 AM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
Originally posted by Signor Vitelli:
While I am taping TCM's showings tonight
While watching the abortion scene with Mike and Kay, my TV lost both audio and visual connection at various parts. What worries me is that I'm talking to my friend who's also watching the movie at his house (1st timer - he loves it!), and it also happened to him. I suppose it could be just some sort of local cable problem, but I wonder if it affected others/everyone? For that, I guess it'd have to be something wrong with TCM - is that possible? confused Anyway, just thought I'd mention it...

Re: GF COMES TO TCM!! #40138
08/07/06 03:06 AM
08/07/06 03:06 AM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
The abortion scene played fine on my television - at least the visual part (I had the volume turned way down).

I did notice a little problem in the first film when Hagen first meets Woltz at the studio. There was a few seconds of what I can only describe as a mosaic-like image breakdown, and there may have been a couple of other times where the image seemed to "freeze-frame" for a fraction of a second. Again, this was in the first film. Since I was taping, I really didn't pay absolute attention to every second of both films. I guess I'll find out anything additional when I sit down and actually watch the tape, start to finish.

Another thing I observed: my old tape from HBO had several minutes of intermission music midway through GFII. The film played straight through without a break on TCM.

Signor V.

Re: GF COMES TO TCM!! #40139
08/07/06 09:27 AM
08/07/06 09:27 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I'm with you Vitelli, as far as the wide screen version goes. I can see the difference in the picture in the samples you posted, but it's always somewhat of a disappointment when I go to watch a movie and part of the picture is cut off. Like you say, a matter of taste I think. ohwell

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: GF COMES TO TCM!! #40140
08/07/06 11:59 AM
08/07/06 11:59 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Like most of you, I hope I die while watching the GFI. But I have to chime in about what I consider to be the denoument of our Nation's morality. There is no good reason to have shown Apollonia's breasts and for Sonny to say what he did about Micahel's anatomy. The TCM's is, for all practial purposes, a broadcast channel. It was unnecessary. Thos two scenes, if altered, take nothing away from the grandeur of the GF. I'm sure many of you will disagree, so let's hear it!

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: GF COMES TO TCM!! #40141
08/07/06 12:22 PM
08/07/06 12:22 PM
Oswego, IL, USA
Struck By the Thunderbolt Offline
Wiseguy
Struck By the Thunderbolt  Offline
Wiseguy
Oswego, IL, USA
Thanks for the heads-up, AppleOnYa. I DVRed both of them, and watched them all the way through.

Mr. Corleone is a man who insists on hearing bad news immediately.
Re: GF COMES TO TCM!! #40142
08/08/06 02:06 PM
08/08/06 02:06 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
I just cannot watch it when they have commmercials and the language "cleaned up" for television. Especially that "Stick in his hands" thing.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: GF COMES TO TCM!! #40143
08/08/06 02:24 PM
08/08/06 02:24 PM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
Originally posted by olivant:
Like most of you, I hope I die while watching the GFI. But I have to chime in about what I consider to be the denoument of our Nation's morality. There is no good reason to have shown Apollonia's breasts and for Sonny to say what he did about Micahel's anatomy. The TCM's is, for all practial purposes, a broadcast channel. It was unnecessary. Thos two scenes, if altered, take nothing away from the grandeur of the GF. I'm sure many of you will disagree, so let's hear it!
Why would you change art?

President of the long_lost_corleone Fan Club
Re: GF COMES TO TCM!! #40144
08/08/06 06:52 PM
08/08/06 06:52 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
For those who prefer the bowdlerized versions - and I am not one of them - there's always AMC.

[Linked Image]

Signor V.

Re: GF COMES TO TCM!! #40145
08/08/06 08:00 PM
08/08/06 08:00 PM
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Right. I'm going to go drive the kids to soccer-practice, and then we can go around destroying copies of Godfather DVDs.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: GF COMES TO TCM!! #40146
08/08/06 09:08 PM
08/08/06 09:08 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
The film was made that way. That Francis Ford Coppola and Mario Puzo's vision of what the film should've been. Why change it? It's been there since 1972, why change it now?

Hey, how's it going?
Re: GF COMES TO TCM!! #40147
08/09/06 09:12 AM
08/09/06 09:12 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
OK, I work in the media and these indecency/obscenity issues that have reared their ugly heads since Janet Jackson are driving me up the wall. But I'll try to keep this short.

First of all, TCM is not at all a broadcast channel. People choose to pay to bring it into their homes. If they feel they cannot handle a split second of breast and an anatomical reference at 9:30pm, they can cancel cable and put the rabbit ears back on the TV.

Secondly, it always struck me as somewhat ironic that the same politicians who play the morality card when Godfather or Schindler's List is aired uncut also generally support policies deny people health care, kill innocent civilians, restrict civil liberties, etc. I guess that stuff is OK, but if a nipple isn't pixellated than the America is suddenly Sodom.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: GF COMES TO TCM!! #40148
08/09/06 10:33 AM
08/09/06 10:33 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I agree. We Americans are so hung up on nudity that it approaches the absurd. The scene was not explicit in any way. They didn't show the couple rolling around humping. They showed a brief scene of a couple about to make love on their wedding night. The sexual innuendo on an episode of Friends, which was shown at 8:00 pm on regular broadcast television was, IMHO, far more exlicit.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull